Shoe Metro Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
David Duong

1. "Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Shoe Metro full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Cutting edge retailer building the digital store of tomorrow. Fast pace work environment with lots of opportunities to grow.

Cons

The current home office and historically the distribution centers did not have the best break rooms and space management. This has been resolved with a new distribution center in TN and the home office will be upgraded fall of 2017.

Advice to Management

Continue to focus on making ShoeMetro a preferred place to work for employees. Remain nimble and continue to challenge employees to be innovative and think outside the box. The digital store of tomorrow is still being defined and employees need to know they are part of that process.

2. "Good work environment and Meritocracy"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Antioch, TN

I have been working at Shoe Metro full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Shoe Metro has been a great career move for me. It has provided me with challenging and interesting work, provided growth personally and professionally, and given enough room to work without micromanagement. We recently consolidated facilities into a brand new building which is better insulated and a better space to work in. Compensation has been fair and continues to get better. There is a structured path to promotion with easy to reach goals and targets. I've enjoyed my time here and plan on staying for a while.

Cons

Rapid process and procedure changes causing high management turnover, role clarity, systems integration.

3. "Constant change and fast-paced work environment"

I have been working at Shoe Metro full-time

Pros

Flexible work schedules for corporate employees. Annual Merit increases are nice, since previous employers did not provide that. Internal advancement is strongly encouraged and supported by management. Very relaxed, but fast paced work environment. I am seeing a lot of corporate positions open up and new warehouse in TN is opening soon.

Cons

Commute time can be very long, Miramar road can get very busy, lots of big rigs. FSA would be nice option to have. The office space is not always the cleanest since it is combined with the warehouse departments. The corporate office s supposed to be relocating to somewhere nearby the current location this year.

Advice to Management

FSA!

5. "Previous post said it right - existing SM is just the shell"

Former Employee - Receiving in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Receiving in San Diego, CA

I worked at Shoe Metro full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Not much to say here.... I enjoyed being challenged and given metrics and rewarded for hitting them. Good communication as we had weekly huddles.

Cons

1st shift supervisor sits in her office all day. Pay and benefits are bellow average. Run when you see HR because its bad news when you see them. I have seen cases where they take advantage of people.

Advice to Management

Old culture was nice new culture is terrible - thanks DSW & CEO.

"Worst career choice of my life."

Current Employee - Fulfillment Lead in Antioch, TN
    Current Employee - Fulfillment Lead in Antioch, TN

I have been working at Shoe Metro full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You have a set schedule. Once in a while they'll have get-togethers like BBQs or social events during the weekend. They hire anybody and everybody.

Cons

Micromanage. Double standards. Day by day changes to the entire system. Lack of communication throughout the entire Warehouse from the top to the bottom. Ridiculous break schedules trying to fit 3 - 400 people out one door on a 30 minute lunch break at the same time including two 10-minute breaks the warehouse in the summertime gets up to 120 degrees and 5 - 10 degrees in the winter time no AC and no heater unit lousy atmosphere amongst most employees superiors who think they're just that Superior than you and your ideas altogether a really lousy atmosphere and work environment run by a few young people that don't seem as if they have much management experience much less business experience.

"Product Lister"

Former Employee - Product Lister in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Product Lister in Nashville, TN

I worked at Shoe Metro full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You have a fixed schedule and opportunities for overtime, as long as you aren't management you will always get in and out of work on time. They also have multiple shifts to choose from so you can generally make it work around your outside life.

The pay is decent. It pays significantly more than the city's minimum wage and you don't need any prior experience.

Bosses are straightforward and friendly. You also get a huge discount on their website.

Cons

Every part of the work day is micromanaged. If you're even a few seconds late it counts against you. They have two 10 minute breaks and one 30 minute lunch break that everyone takes at the same time. This also causes issues because everyone is fighting to get in and out of the door so they don't go over their time.

There are also quotas you have to meet in each position but as a product lister a lot of the things that can count against you as "listing errors" are ambiguous and subjective. These issues generally won't get you fired, but you will be reprimanded over too many errors.

There's a lot of unnecessary drama amongst coworkers that gets really annoying.

Lastly, there was an issue with my last paycheck bouncing after I quit. The company took care of it, but it was really sketchy because I had never had issues with my pay before that.

"Data Entry"

Former Employee - Data Entry in Antioch, TN
    Former Employee - Data Entry in Antioch, TN

I worked at Shoe Metro (Less than a year)

Pros

Work is easy and Pay is decent.

Cons

Leads and management do not have a clue on what's going on. Bad communications across the board. Environment is VERY HOT during summer months and VERY COLD during winter months.

Advice to Management

Commit to what is promised.

"Nice people, not so nice company environment"

Former Employee - Production in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Production in San Diego, CA

I worked at Shoe Metro full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Team, good people, good hours, flexibility to change shifts, chance to work OT, benefits. Nice lunch events. Cool annual party at local brewery.

Cons

Parking! Low pay. Tiny break room for lots of people. Time off needed is unpaid. Very cramped. Unclean. Not even sure it's up to code.

Advice to Management

Train and grow people. Say nice things. Give them at market pay and maybe they will like working there and stay. Clean more.

10. "Start up like feel"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Shoe Metro full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good employee discount on shoes from the website, four pairs a month

Cons

Antiquated building and systems. Limited resources and opportunity to move up. Not a clean environment, seems to be a bug problem. Poor vacation package. Lack of professionalism, vulgar language etc used openly in public environments such as the break room.

Advice to Management

Improve cleanliness and create a professional work environment

11. "Great growing company to work for."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Antioch, TN

Pros

Great upper management and HR. No negativity. Good pay and hours. Easy place to work your way up.

Cons

None to list so far.

Advice to Management

Get all leads and supervisors on the same page.