Shoe Sensation Reviews | Glassdoor

Tom Slover

1. "Sales associate"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Big Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Big Rapids, MI

Pros

Casual
    Laid back
    "SPIFF's"
    Good coworkers

Cons

Minimum wage
    Not many hours

Advice to Management

Don't hire more than you can pay for

2. "Great Place to work except for GM"

I worked at Shoe Sensation part-time

Pros

All other employees are great. The customers for the most part are great.

Cons

The GM was somewhat difficult to get along with. Inventory day can me long and hard.

3. "Current Manager"

Current Employee - Store Manager

Pros

I have worked retail all my life. I love meeting and making new friends/customers. It is a face paced work environment which I thrive in. The 40% discount for myself and immediate family is greatly appreciated. They have a 401k plan, and offer insurances at an affordable price. Have met a couple people in upper management and they were very open to my ideas and listened intently to my thoughts and needs for my store.

Cons

Very few hours to operate a store efficiently and to complete the enormous amount of tasking expected. Communication is an area needing improvement. Part timers are given such few hours it is hard to properly train them and expect them to retain everything. They want you to have a lot of part timers therefore less hours for each. I believe in less employees and more hours for each. I know from experience that a well trained employee who becomes a familiar face to customers is an asset. Continuity needs to happen in mid management. Having had 4 different area directors in 16 months has not been easy. The philosophy of part timers working for the 40% discount is not a reality. To be an effective manager you must go over your weekly hours requirements.

Advice to Management

I have appreciated their level of interest by actually visiting our stores. Stores need to be equipped with proper theft control devices. The ink tags alone are not enough.

5. "Not a bad place to work"

Pros

Great People you get to work with, pay isnt bad but need more time off. Its what you would expect with a retail job.Fun contests

Cons

Lots of tasks assigned, esspecially when its time to do floor flips. Not a good work life balance, esspecially if you have kids at home.

6. "Nice place to work"

I have been working at Shoe Sensation full-time

Pros

Easy job if you're motivated. Good bonus program. Lots of ways to earn extras

Cons

Unorganized. Lack of communication between corporate and field employees. Too long of hours for managers

Advice to Management

Listen to your field employees. They know what they're talking about.

7. "Hated it So much"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager

Pros

The discounts were pretty great, 30% off everything BUT sales and clearance. The hours range and are flexible and becomes a small close family.

Cons

Once a shoe of that particular size runs out, NO MORE! Makes customers very angry and do not return. As an Assistant Manager, made life there unbearable.

Advice to Management

Get more shoes. More mens shoes, more locations and better selection of better quality shoes. I had so many customers return shoes because they were terribly made and didnt last a week.

8. "What can I say"

I have been working at Shoe Sensation part-time

Pros

Good for a first job

Cons

Lots of rumors and talking behind backs. Lots of theft, and employees taking sales. Manager is rude, but plays it off. And lies a lot. The system is dumb and the shoes aren't all that.

Advice to Management

Get better shoes and actually act like you care about your employees. Don't just hire anybody either, it's not worth it. And update the system, half of your stuff doesn't make sense or its just dumb.

"Good and bad"

Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Shoe Sensation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pros have to be at least 20 words. I cant really think of that much. The company is great to a point. Bonuses, contests and the occasional good times.

Cons

Micro management beyond belief. New rules and policies being made up all the time. Corporate office seems out of touch with stores. Lousy uniform.

Advice to Management

You always evaluate store managers, how about let store managers evaluate you? Floor flips and stock should, without a doubt, be done before or after close and not during store hours. Because then you'll be upset that conversion was low and sales weren't made. You can't have it both ways! Stop making up new policies and rules every week. Let managers take a vote when implentmenting new policies and always make announcements.

""Back up Assistant Manager""

Former Employee - BUA in Batesville, IN
    Former Employee - BUA in Batesville, IN

I worked at Shoe Sensation part-time (More than a year)

Pros

They give a great 40% discount on the shoes! I like that you have competitions when having a sale and how ever many of the items you sell on sale you get to play games and earn some extra cash! I worked with a great staff and that is the only reason I stayed as long as I did!!

Cons

Pay sucks! I opened and closed the store, opened and closed the cash registers and only got paid 7.55$ an hour!!! Unless your in corporate, this company doesn't care about you! I left and found another job as a Hostess in a restaurant and make 10$ an hour, TO SEAT PEOPLE!!! They could do a lot better on pay! How do they expect to keep employees if they don't pay them enough!?

Advice to Management

Start caring about your corporate people less and the people that are working for you in the stores selling your merchandise more! Oh and when we get emails last minute on shoe consolidations and you say it has to be done by tomorrow or by a certain time, you are all nuts!! Do you know how long that takes and how exhausting this task is!? Not to mention we have to keep up and help our customers as we are doing it!? Take a walk in our shoes corporate, come to stores and work for a day and see what it's like. For the amount of work we all have to do, the pay is so not worth it! This is a perfect job for a high schooler, but the rule is you have to be 18 to work there... I think that should be changed!

11. "Good for now."

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Murray, KY
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Murray, KY

I have been working at Shoe Sensation part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Okay discount, flexible hours. Good teamwork. You can get lots of experience in customer service, as we spend a lot of time on the sales floor working with customers.

Cons

Sales goals must be met, we are in a small town and they want to run it very strict with corporate. Don't expect to stand around at the register. Lots of cleaning, stocking, pricing, etc.

Advice to Management

Don't be so uptight about policies and such. Reward your employees.