ShopKeep Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.9
Michael DeSimone

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Snacks in kitchen, a few catered lunches per month, cold brew on tap, Mac laptop to use when employed there, decent benefits, 401k" (in 11 reviews)

• "The product is good and cheap for new small businesses" (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • "Customer Care doesn't really work together that much on ideas" (in 12 reviews)

• "Poor work life balance and the expectation to stay late without pay" (in 4 reviews)

"This Job Only Gives Back What You Put In"

Former Employee - POS Specialist/POS Manager in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - POS Specialist/POS Manager in Portland, OR

I worked at ShopKeep full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

4 years with the organization taught my quickly that nothing would be handed to me and that I would have to work hard for everything I earned. I had plenty of opportunity to rise through the ranks starting from a POS Specialist and rising to run a team. Fun office environment where everyone can talk, collaborate and learn from one another.

The reps that succeed are the ones that keep their nose down, work hard and adapt their process as customer buying habits change. Plenty of recognition, bonuses, contests and company outings.

Cons

Long hours and work life balance can be a struggle, but this comes with any lucrative sales opportunity. If you complain about that, Sales is not the career path for you, so don't bother.

"Company is falling apart"

Pros

They have catered lunches on occasion.

Cons

Micromanagement, inconsistent, frowned upon if you take lunches or breaks

Advice to Management

Get all new management

"SadKeep for the Sales Team"

Pros

Cons

Sales team goals are very unorganized, constant changes, frat culture. The commission pay outs were at one time amazing, but they went through huge changes as a company (changing members of c-level), and coincidentally at the same time drastically decreased monthly commission pay outs by thousands. Every conversation, one-on-one, or delivery of bad news, is structured as “a sale conversation”. No one seems happy on the sales floor anymore, not transparent with the team, I even question if they are approaching a buy out soon? This was once a place where I would wake up excited for Monday, but it quickly became the opposite of that. It became a huge micro management culture, barely allowing you to laugh with colleagues anymore. They don’t value anyone’s opinion as they already have their minds made up on what they want. No value in an exit interview as many members before me have given feedback on these same issues. I learned a lot during my time there, and I am so thankful, but I would not recommend this job anymore due to changes in the past 6 months.

Advice to Management

Genuinely listen to your employees for once! Train your customer care team so they know how to use the product and help your customers. Let the sales team become apart of the company again instead of feeling like numbers, meaning going to town hall meetings, company events, etc.

"Great job if you want to get out of a minimum wage job."

Former Employee - Customer Care Advisor
    Former Employee - Customer Care Advisor

I worked at ShopKeep full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Coworkers and Staff and Benefits were pretty decent. Loved that we were able to take laptops home. Opportunity to work from home after probation period (90 Days). Depending on which office you worked at either the Us or Ireland. Catering on Wednesdays. Medical and Dental costs were okay. Upper Management will work with you to get you comfortable and learn the information. After months of work, you can get the opportunity for career growth pending office location.

Cons

Feels like your reading a script. You pretty much do the same thing every day. Hope to god you get weekends off when you start off but 9/10 times you won't get that day off. Don't have an outside life outside of Shopkeep aka College, Marriage, or other hobbies that goes down the drain. The only thing you need is a High School diploma to get this job. They seriously overwhelm you with a ton of info that takes weeks to train but you only have a week at best to learn everything. Not to mention you are thrown into calls after the first week of "training". Pretty much every single day you will get yelled at by a Merchant. It really does drain your mind and body. Also, you must be a fast typer or least quick at the draw on things. The Commute is horrible as hell pending where the office is located. This line of work is somewhat outdated and can fearfully be obsolete at any time. In all honesty, I wouldn't make a career out of this at all.

Advice to Management

More time needs to be acquired for training people to hone their craft. One week's worth of training is downright insane.

"Find something better"

Pros

A few startup perks, decent office with lots of open seats

Cons

Slow growth, high turnover at all levels, too much politics for a company this size. Seems to have lost its direction and the competition is pulling away.

Advice to Management

Focus less on making as much money off your customers and more on improving and supporting the product

"10 years on and still very much a startup"

Former Employee - Merchant Services in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Merchant Services in Chicago, IL

I worked at ShopKeep full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Snacks and drinks, beer the last hour of your shift, assigned laptop and desk, company outings and holiday dinners, easy parking, weekly catered lunch, casual dress code, video games

Cons

Constant changes in schedule without approval, menial to no training, paltry salary, unhelpful and unsupportive team leaders, complete lack of teamwork and communication between departments. Everything done by online chat, unable to reach out directly to major departments, no Spanish speaking representatives.

Advice to Management

Communicate more effectively, slideshows and support articles are not a method of training but a way to cut corners under the guise of time efficiency. Schedule informative group meetings to train on new hardware or department changes. Integrate at least one representative from each department to assist merchants by phone, not using the customer care team as the middle man. Drop the ineffective hardware, and hire some bilingual representatives to pull out of start up status.

"Easy inbound sale - no career growth what so ever"

Former Employee - POS Specialist in New York, NY

I worked at ShopKeep full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Your day to day will be fairly autonomous
    Make good commission if you do well

Cons

Commission structure and goals constantly changing
    Management is extremely hot & cold
    "What have you done for me lately" mentality from management
    Constant employee turnover

"Management Issues in Engineering"

I worked at ShopKeep full-time

Pros

The product is good and cheap for new small businesses

Cons

The CTO, and much of his management team, is immature and paranoid of change and being questioned.

Advice to Management

Bring in some seasoned adults in engineering.

"A Great Place To Work"

I worked at ShopKeep full-time

Pros

ShopKeep is filled with hardworking and compassionate people.

Cons

No cons come to mind.

"DON'T"

I worked at ShopKeep full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Great work life balance

Cons

- A bad & toxic place for career development
    - If you love following instructions and being locked inside a box, this is a place to be. If your idea or words don't match the exec team it will be shunned down immediately
    - People waste time on everything other than productive work