ShopRunner Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
ShopRunner CEO Sam Yagan
Sam Yagan

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Smart, Fun, Hardworking People"

I have been working at ShopRunner full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Everyone is really smart and the company has a ton of positive energy. You can tell that people really love their jobs. We also move really quickly from the idea stage to the implementation stage. It's awesome.

Cons

Since about half the staff left when the previous CEO left, the entire company is reestablishing how teams should interact with each other so I wouldn't say we've settled into a routine yet.

2. "Perspective on the new ShopRunner"

Current Employee - Senior Vice President Consumer Product in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Vice President Consumer Product in Chicago, IL

I have been working at ShopRunner full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I am a current executive at ShopRunner -- I'm here to give anyone looking as honest a perspective on the company as I can, essentially what I would tell you if we grabbed coffee and had a chat so that you can decide if you would like to explore further.

The company has recently (~1 year ago) come under new management with Sam Yagan as CEO, with a new leadership team that brings experience from a number of well-known firms in Philadelphia and Chicago.

As part of this transition, it became clear that we would not be able thrive maintaining 3 offices, particularly as our San Mateo office had little executive leadership located there. The decision to close the office was not easy, but was ultimately the right one so that we could focus in on building teams, culture and products that our customers love.

Recently (Aug 2017):
    - After dozens of hours of company-wide discussion and debate, we have outlined our mission, vision and values. We looked deeply at ourselves and extracted values that are present in the combined history and experience of the individuals present at the company that we believe in and want to uphold in our interactions.
    - We are becoming increasingly better at outlining our vision, prioritizing our bets and building momentum on our development processes and products.
    - We (the executive team) are deeply committed to building something meaningful, with diversity at its core, in the geographies in which we work.
    - Ultimately, there's a real feeling of caring for the people and in materializing the opportunity ahead of us present at the company.

Here's who we are:

Our Vision: Deliver a thriving community of discovery, expression and commerce.

Our Mission: Powering extraordinary shopping experiences that connect customers with the brands they love.

Our Values: Boldness, Inclusion, Grit, Candor, Accountability, Spirit, Hustle (of course, there's lot more in the definition of each one)

Cons

We have a huge opportunity ahead of us and many ideas on how to make it happen. By no means is everything figured out and always in harmony -- in fact, we expect and desire hard discussions and debate to continually make things better, preferring 'disagree and commit' to break stalemates. The underlying intention across the board, though, is one of moving the work forward, building value for customers and partners and of respect for each other and the work we are doing.

3. "The new shift is great!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at ShopRunner full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Everyone holds themselves to high standards so there is no micro management; we are all humans that have outside commitments and everyone supports that (WFH; coming in late/leaving early); Management empowers everyone to make decisions and supports the outcome, "fail fast and succeed fast"

Very inclusive environment; diversity is important in all aspects; everyone eats lunch together and 1X a week lunch is catered; great snacks including snacks/meals for those with dietary restraints; great team/collaboration amongst everyone

Leadership is accessible all of the times and open to questions and feedback;
    We are part of something great, re-founding ShopRunner and can all make a big impact.

Cons

I really don't have any complaints at this time!

Advice to Management

Keep being accessible! Keep communicating! Love that you all are on the floor right there with us!

4. "Exciting time to join!"

Current Employee - Technical Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Technical Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at ShopRunner full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

ShopRunner is in an exciting time to join. Sam Yagan is committed to build a great team in Conshy and Chicago. The Chicago office is growing and its a great time to be a part of the team. Lots of leadership opportunities both technically and mentoring exist.

New Parent Benefit - paid time off! is amazing
    We are encouraged to make bold decisions and are held accountable
    We are all adults and we are treated as such. No micromanaging here.

Cons

Time to scale. Some legacy systems are in place. (This can be viewed as good challenge though)

Advice to Management

ShopRunner needs wider exposure to Chicago job market. How can get more people excited to work for us?

5. "Great time to join a company mid-reboot"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at ShopRunner full-time

Pros

- Excellent leadership team with a proven track record.

- Tons of interesting engineering challenges to solve. It's a great opportunity to join and influence technical direction.

- Small team which offers great visibility and allows you to make a noticeable impact.

- Leadership values diversity

- Emphasis on collaboration. Everyone is nice.

- CEO is very transparent and approachable

- Catered lunch once a week. Great selection of snacks for all dietary needs.

- Great work life balance

- Brand new Chicago office in a great location.

Cons

- It took a long time to get functioning cross-geography collaboration equipment but it has finally arrived.

Advice to Management

We've done a lot of work internally to make sure ShopRunner is a great place to work. Find a way to externalize this in order to attract talent.

6. "Great place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Conshohocken, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Conshohocken, PA

I worked at ShopRunner full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-- Great business opportunity
    -- Innovative tech solution to participate in
    -- Wonderful team
    -- Good pay and perks

Cons

I really loved working there. The only con I can think of occasional difficulties in collaborating with distributed teams.

Advice to Management

Not sure why there have been bad reviews recently. Yes, management can be better, but certainly not as bad as described in other review. Changes are common in growing companies. Perhaps management can get more transparent about the plans.

"Depends On Point Of View"

Pros

Startup that has the best and brightest Chicago Leadership has to offer in an exciting space. Trying to take a swipe at Amazon. Lots of potential to be realized if the game is played correctly. Multiple offices. Awesome data opportunities.

Cons

Same as the Pros, not necessarily a good thing.

Advice to Management

Expand talent across all offices for a better survival rate. Keep promises, ensure all offices are treated equally. Learn from past mistakes. Be Truthful. Hire more do'ers and less managers for a more balanced ratio of assignments/groups.

"Review Title"

I worked at ShopRunner full-time

Pros

The team used to be great (before everyone either left or laid off due to a surprise office close that the new CEO promised to not do)

Cons

- new leadership is trying to run an ecommerce company even though some of them do not have experience in the industry. sofar it seems they can not execute correctly
    - there's 0 interest in employee development, during the transition phases, many employees volunteered to step up and take a bigger role, but were all turned down as leadership believed that people should be hired with the right skill set
    - when the team realized things aren't working great, a employee volunteered culture club created a list of potential things the company can do to improve culture. the CEO's immediate response was "yea, I can do these, but what are you going to do for me? why aren't you guys doing more?". and HR was no where to be seen
    - The new management is turning a bit cult like, and communications about next steps usually can not be trusted
    - At one point employees were offered movie tickets for good Glassdoor reviews, so the scores here should be taken with a grain of salt
    - HR never bothered asking people how the average employees felt
    - 2 weeks before the california office was closed, the CEO explicitly repeated that he is committed to making the office work. In reality, he already started hiring and handing out offers for everyone's replacements without anyone knowing

Advice to Management

I'm not sure there's any advice they will actually listen to.

I bet HR is going to reply to this post saying "its very unfortunate that you were caught in this bad situation, and explain how its not the company's fault". Well, when employees are laid off because the company is in chaos, whose fault is it?

"Arrogant and inexperienced management and lack of focus"

I worked at ShopRunner full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The team on the ground is hard working and collaborative.

Cons

Complete lack of transparency from management
    Lack of direction and focus
    All execs are new and most are inexperienced in e-commerce
    Very top heavy company, lots of unfocused ideas at the top without a team on the ground to execute
    Lack of vision
    Lack of employee support

Advice to Management

When the new CEO joined the company last year, there was a lot of energy at the company. Culture was great and the team was excited to have new ideas and product vision leading the team. However, not much has happened since that has happened. The product has not improved in anyway. There is clearly a lack of focus and no interest in employee growth. The culture has severely deteriorated due to tantrums from the top and people working in fear. Not only do the employees work in fear, but it seems like execs and managers are pressured into doing things that they don't want.

The business model will continue to generate revenue without leadership. The plan seems to be to sell before partners realize that ShopRunner does not deliver value to them.

I would strongly advise against working at this company. There is a complete lack of respect for the employee. If you're looking for a dynamic team to join, this is not it.

ShopRunner Response

May 2, 2017 – VP Talent

Really disappointed to hear about your experience with us and certainly not indicative of what we're setting out to build. With a new leadership team, the focus is coming as the new groundwork is set... More

10. "Solid e-commerce startup, with unique business prospects"

Pros

Dynamic Environment, Challenging, Diverse cast of developers, many opportunities to contribute across the stack

Cons

Occasional short project deadline (start-up culture), small team size, split development team (offices on both east and west coast)