ShopRunner Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

4.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Scott Thompson

"Fun, Challenging and Exciting Place to Work"

I have been working at ShopRunner full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

People work hard and share common goals in a true team atmosphere. Cross functional teams collaborate constantly and personal egos are checked at the door. We are a partner and customer centric organization that focuses on ensuring the consumers have the best online shopping experience as possible while maintaining retailer brand autonomy and credit. The office environment is fun and open in a family like treatment of employees. The leadership team is constantly fine tuning our approach to evolve in the current market conditions.

Cons

As we've grown, we've lost a bit of that entrepreneurial thought creation from all employees and it now primarily resides in the leadership team. While new ideas and thoughts are NEVER discouraged, they are not wholly encouraged either. This is a bit of a departure from the earlier days of ShopRunner.

Advice to Management

Do more than just an employee survey once a year to solicit employee involvement in our future direction. Establish focus groups, round tables and potentially a compensation model that speaks to everyone's potential contributions. We ALL want ShopRunner to win!

2. "Solid e-commerce startup, with unique business prospects"

Pros

Dynamic Environment, Challenging, Diverse cast of developers, many opportunities to contribute across the stack

Cons

Occasional short project deadline (start-up culture), small team size, split development team (offices on both east and west coast)

"Good place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Conshohocken, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Conshohocken, PA

Pros

Business has lot of potential. Good work/life balance and great teams to work with.

Cons

In recent times, there hasn't been enough challenge in work for tech teams.

"Shoprunner is imploding"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I worked at ShopRunner full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I made some great friends and had some great colleagues at Shoprunner. The work is not challenging and the hours are not long. It is a good place to work if you have a side project as most of the employees do. Because the senior people plugged into the inside information are leaving quickly, it has been an easy place for mid level people to get promoted.

As the company withers it pays people extra to stay.

Cons

There is little actual work that gets done at Shoprunner, so everyone tries to get credit for everything. Good people leave. People who say what execs want to hear get promoted.

Advice to Management

Stop pretending. Any company that has to pay retention bonuses to get people to stay is not doing well. Nobody cares about the unit economics. We care about the stock price which is so low that you won't even buy our shares for the low price some employees used to get..

"House of cards ready to fall over"

I worked at ShopRunner full-time

Pros

You don't have to work very much and pay is quite high because the stock is worthless.

Cons

The description of ShopRunner in the company posted section could not be further from the truth.

"More than anything, ShopRunner is an engaging and fun place to work, where every employee’s voice is heard. With just under 100 employees world-wide, ShopRunner manages to balance the flexibility and fun of a start-up with the reliability of a much larger organization."

Yeah right. That is all as fake as the CEO's computer science degree.

Advice to Management

You are so out of touch that you don't know people do impressions of you for comedy when you turn around. Pay attention.

7. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Director in Conshohocken, PA
    Current Employee - Director in Conshohocken, PA

I have been working at ShopRunner full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have worked at ShopRunner for 3+ years now - a lot of has changed, but at not time have my motivation, enthusiasm, or passion decreased. This is primarily due to the colleagues I am surrounded by and the overall attitude of the company to succeed; from the top down. ShopRunner is the best of both worlds; a relatively new company with a start up / can do mentality, yet grounded financially and conservative in the approach of accomplishing company goals. The collaboration b/t all teams is fantastic and the ability to work with and learn other skills is almost automatic. All in all the environment is one that breeds success and a chance to work with smart people who ultimately make work, seem like fun.

Cons

two offices on different coasts can be challenging, but certainly workable

Advice to Management

engage with all employees at various levels more often

8. "People are chill, fun to work with"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at ShopRunner full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

1) Bosses and co-workers are easy to get-along and work with.
    2) Work is interesting, there is enough to do so everyone contributes in multiple ways.
    3) Senior developers always seem willing to help and answer questions.
    4) Largely left on our own to work, not micro-managed.
    3) I wanted a SE job that would be 40 hours a week and no more, I'm pleased to have found it.

Cons

The other half of the company is in PA so we have to communicate across the country, frustrating when a five minute thing takes 2 days.

"Good engineering problems to solve with a great working atmosphere"

I have been working at ShopRunner full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Being a small company, and operating in a tricky space of eCommerce, there are a LOT of avenues of development. This translates to a lot of options of work available. The company is good in being sensitive to your developmental aspirations and tries to fit into what you want and of course, what is required at the moment.

The work life balance is good, with people not being judged on work hours, taking off if needed, Working from home, again, when needed. The engineering militia gathering mass means more socializing events, free weekly lunch, happy hour etc.

The leadership is terrific. I have worked with 3 other companies before and this place has by far the coolest 'bosses'. I have never been micromanaged in 2+ years here which in startup dog-years is heck of a lot. New ideas and eagerness is well appreciated by the management as well as the peers.

The company pays competitively and has standard benefits like health/401K etc.

Cons

A bunch of folks working for ShopRunner are in Pennsylvania - where ShopRunner originated and continues to operate from. This causes a disconnect, at-least from an engineer's perspective; mainly because of the time difference. Also, managing a project with people from both coasts can be hectic sometimes.

That's the only 'real' problem i see.

10. "Its fun, progressive, entertaining"

Current Employee - Designer in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Designer in San Mateo, CA

Pros

Everyone is really cool and people like to enjoy a laugh while working hard. The office is located in a prime location in downtown San Mateo close to so many food options. Free snacks, catered lunch once a week, and just comfortable atmosphere make this a great place to work.

Cons

Like others have said, we have the slowest elevators on the planet. Since the building has medical offices, there's always people using them and it can get timely. Not a deal breaker for sure, just a slight annoyance.

Advice to Management

We could probably use more team building events. I like the ideas of playing a sport (softball, etc.) to help build camaraderie among different departments.

11. "A really great place to work."

I have been working at ShopRunner full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- smart, dedicated, supportive employees
    - good work/life balance
    - generous PTO allowance
    - engaged and open leadership team
    - free snacks daily and free lunch once per week
    - fun and comfortable work environment

Cons

- some areas work in silos

Advice to Management

- maintain company culture as we continue to grow