Shopbop | East Dane Reviews | Glassdoor

2.7
Shopbop | East Dane CEO Darcy Penick
Darcy Penick

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Shopbop has been a great place thus far (in 5 reviews)

• Basic Customer Service Job, great benefits (chance at Amazon Stock, good discounts (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life balance is terrible, especially during the holidays (in 6 reviews)

• Too many people are placed into positions of power without formal training or education because of the high turnover within the company (in 6 reviews)

1. "Warehouse Associate Review"

Current Employee - Warehouse Associate in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Warehouse Associate in Madison, WI

I have been working at Shopbop | East Dane full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The management staff at ShopBop East Warehouse are excellent - positive attitude, clearly communicate, all around good people. Hey, if you get a short notice on a shift change, that is the industry you joined NOT the fault of management...blame the market! All of the management cultivate a strongly positive attitude which has a great trickle down effect - all my coworkers are friendly, i.e., would have 'em over for a cookout.

Sean
    Thank you, senior ladies and gents, for your excellent leadership.

Cons

None, just get to work ya'all.

Advice to Management

Keep it up Sue and Lupe and guys - you really keep a positive attitude flowing!This is a job that could easily be disliked, but you put a spoonful of sugar and cinnamon to help the medicine go down...

"My Shopbop Experience"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Madison, WI

I worked at Shopbop | East Dane full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent pay and benefits. Most coworkers are wonderful to work with. Company events are fun and you get a very nice discount on merchandise.

Cons

Company automated their warehouse and it failed. Anytime there is a sale orders go missing and customers don’t get their orders or they are extremely delayed. This results in massive amounts of overtime and call handling in one day what is normally done in one week which means not only do you have continual overtime every phone call and email is from an understandably angry customer. Management isn’t open about the situation and social media doesn’t address the problem when customers ask which results in greater hostility towards anyone in the customer service center. Reps are told to simply say that due to high volume orders are backed up. This is not true. Orders are lost, misshipped, or simply processed as a return without the customer’s knowledge. It is incredibly frustrating to have to lie when it’s obvious that you are doing so as customers have no problem calling you out on it.

Customer service reps are also forced to deal with non-customers who call and behave inappropriately to the point that it’s a joke. No one should have to answer the phone and deal with a sexually inappropriate person just because they might be a customer.

If you have a thick skin and can deal with all the angry customers and verbal abuse you could be ok here. I’ve seen this position break some wonderful people and I’d honestly rather earn less and deal with less conflict.

There is also very little room for growth unless you know someone outside your department and are friendly with them. I’ve seen reps with incredible educations and experience in fashion be turned down for higher level positions in other departments and in their place a managers friendis brought in.

If ethics are a priority this is not the company for you. I’m only addressing the issues in my specific department but there are a plethora of larger ones throughout the company. If Amazon (their parent company) ever stepped in I get the feeling Shopbop would be cleaned out quickly and fresh, more skilled talent brought in.

Drug use is also rampant especially within the fulfillment center.

Advice to Management

Admit when there is a real problem and stop pretending like failed order shipment is due to high volume when it’s the fulfillment automation system that’s been a failure during sales since implemented in 2017.

The customer is not always right. It’s understandable that high levels of customer service are required but when it comes to verbal abuse or sexual inappropriateness those numbers should be blocked/not interacted with again.

"Used to be a good job but now it’s hellish."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

I worked at Shopbop | East Dane (Less than a year)

Pros

When they’re not having a sale it’s alright. They’ll hire anyone. Opportunity for all the overtime you can stand. Sometimes they cater lunch during sales.

Cons

Used to be a good job but they keep growing and pushing for higher productivity. Everything that made it a good job is being taken away: no headphones, no phones, more automation, more simplified repetitive tasks, more and more mandatory overtime. It’s dehumanizing. Everyone is miserable. It turns you into a zombie. Twelve ten-hour days in a row, followed by one day off and six more tens? Not worth it.

"Worst place I’ve ever worked."

I worked at Shopbop | East Dane full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The 50% employee discount was great. That’s pretty much the only nice thing I have to say about the place.

Cons

The culture in the NYC office is extremely toxic.

Bullies are over-empowered and promoted, clique behavior is encouraged and people are regularly thrown under the bus. The CEO is supportive of this behavior and is duplicitous when issues are raised to her, feigning concern and then turning the information around and pinning blame in a way that can only be described as Orwellian double-speak.

Company practices are Machiavellian. Employee advancement is tied directly to your popularity with your peers. The obsession with metrics is dehumanizing and often subjectivity is presented as a metric (see above re. advancement).

They literally had meetings about meetings about a meeting. It was nuts.

Avoid this place at all costs.

Advice to Management

Grow a conscience.

"Structurally Unsound"

I have been working at Shopbop | East Dane full-time

Pros

- Studio managerwho is an amazing leader and mentor to her team
    - Amazon experience
    - Cool work

Cons

- Company launched new order fulfillment system despite being told repeatedly by those who developed the product that it was not ready for go live. For the last six weeks customers are experiencing extreme delays at all points in the order/return process and are (understandably) flooding our social media accounts with negative comments.
    One IG commenter said that Shopbop continuing to process payments knowing full well that they don't have the infrastructure to fulfill orders constitutes fraud and is grounds for a class-action lawsuit. I later noticed that comment was deleted.
    It's like a restaurant with food but no one to cook it or deliver it to the tables!

We are a solely ecommerce retailer. Without the ability to serve our most basic function, deliver product to customers, we do not have a business, and therefore no need for a photo studio, marketing, HR, buying, finance, graphic designers, web content, customer service, etc.
    It has been humbling to realize how useless we all are without a solid infrastructure to support order fulfillment.

Advice to Management

Amazon leaders need to perform a full operations audit immediately. I don't think a company-wide furlough is out of the question while they determine if SB/ED is structurally sound. The legal/financial risk of continuing to operate without a functioning fulfillment system is high enough to warrant it.

"Shopbop"

Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in Madison, WI

I worked at Shopbop | East Dane full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

a great place to work

Cons

some of the management lacks

"Customer Service Representative"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Madison, WI

I worked at Shopbop | East Dane (More than a year)

Pros

Cons

customers can be difficult to work with

"Shrinking not growing"

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Shopbop | East Dane full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazon stock though you only get a few shares if you make it to 3 years.

Cons

FC leadership needs replaced as well as overall leadership team. The business is suffering from poor leadership and not growing but shrinking as a result. It's a middle school environment where bullying occurs and those promoted are the ones that are liked because they never disagree with leaders and just say yes. Work life balance is more life than work at the leadership and management level since they are never around, work from home aka babysit their children and delegate everything to the worker bees. Talent is not selected based on skill but based on appearance and who they like.

Advice to Management

Advice to amazon, lots if money being wasted at the management and leadership level. The leadership and management team is overstaffed and not frugal. They are unqualified and underskilled for senior roles they have. You need to bring in talent like we had 5 years ago. It's been quickly headed downhill since we had key leaders that left during that time.

9. "Customer Service Representative"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Madison, WI

I worked at Shopbop | East Dane (More than a year)

Pros

Strong, supportive environment in customer service

Cons

Other departments not as communicative as they could be, often leave us with unnecessary crises

Advice to Management

Update the attendance policy to avoid losing more quality staff members, develop a scheduling system that allows representatives to develop a more normal sleep schedule.

10. "Ok"

I worked at Shopbop | East Dane full-time

Pros

Good culture, opportunity to learn

Cons

It's not a very creative environment. Too corporate since Amazon's purchase.