Shopbop | East Dane Reviews | Glassdoor

2.9
Shopbop | East Dane CEO Darcy Penick
Darcy Penick

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Basic Customer Service Job, great benefits (chance at Amazon Stock, good discounts (in 5 reviews)

• Shopbop has been a great place thus far (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life balance is terrible, especially during the holidays (in 6 reviews)

• Too many people are placed into positions of power without formal training or education because of the high turnover within the company (in 7 reviews)

"Shopbop"

Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in Madison, WI

I worked at Shopbop | East Dane full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

a great place to work

Cons

some of the management lacks

"Customer Service Representative"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Madison, WI

I worked at Shopbop | East Dane (More than a year)

Pros

Cons

customers can be difficult to work with

"Shrinking not growing"

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Shopbop | East Dane full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazon stock though you only get a few shares if you make it to 3 years.

Cons

FC leadership needs replaced as well as overall leadership team. The business is suffering from poor leadership and not growing but shrinking as a result. It's a middle school environment where bullying occurs and those promoted are the ones that are liked because they never disagree with leaders and just say yes. Work life balance is more life than work at the leadership and management level since they are never around, work from home aka babysit their children and delegate everything to the worker bees. Talent is not selected based on skill but based on appearance and who they like.

Advice to Management

Advice to amazon, lots if money being wasted at the management and leadership level. The leadership and management team is overstaffed and not frugal. They are unqualified and underskilled for senior roles they have. You need to bring in talent like we had 5 years ago. It's been quickly headed downhill since we had key leaders that left during that time.

4. "Customer Service Representative"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Madison, WI

I worked at Shopbop | East Dane (More than a year)

Pros

Strong, supportive environment in customer service

Cons

Other departments not as communicative as they could be, often leave us with unnecessary crises

Advice to Management

Update the attendance policy to avoid losing more quality staff members, develop a scheduling system that allows representatives to develop a more normal sleep schedule.

5. "Ok"

I worked at Shopbop | East Dane full-time

Pros

Good culture, opportunity to learn

Cons

It's not a very creative environment. Too corporate since Amazon's purchase.

"manager"

Former Employee - Manager in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Manager in Madison, WI

I worked at Shopbop | East Dane full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

the only pro to this job was having Amazon on resume

Cons

cutthroat, mismanaged, unqualified executives and senior managers, late nights, weekends, working remotely from home all night due to excessive workload, extreme unethical treatment of employees, no room for advancement. Most execs and senior managers stay in the positions for 3-5 years. Lack of leadership and defined roles-don't ask the wrong person the wrong question. HR does nothing but participate in the unethical behavior of the senior managers in order to "hold out" for their vested shares in Amazon as well. They preach a "culture" but definelty do not practice it.

Advice to Management

Jeff Bezos-you might want to consider selling this one off before it ALL comes out. Just saying

"Great place to work that will challenge you day in/day out"

Current Employee - Leader
    Current Employee - Leader

I have been working at Shopbop | East Dane full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Shopbop is a place that truly promotes innovative thinking and challenging the status quo. Coming from a prior company that was all about cutting costs and reducing headcount, Shopbop is the true antithesis. They want you to try, adjust, learn, and make better many practices across the business.

Intercommunication between business units has become much stronger over the past few years, opening up many cross-functional opportunities for people to grow and expand their knowledge/influence.

This is my forever company and has already been the longest stay of my career. I'm very excited to see where the future takes me.

Cons

Honestly, the only opportunity right now is to continue to work on strategies to handle the fast paced growth that the business is facing. I'm confident that the actions being taken today will get us there. This is a great place to build a career.

Advice to Management

Know there are a great amount of employees that think very highly of Shopbop, the culture it presents, and the growth you have the autonomy to own. They aren't always vocal, especially in these type of forums, but they are plentiful and continue to drive us into a positive future.

"Always Learning, Accessible Management Team, Fast-Moving Fashion E-commerce Business"

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Shopbop | East Dane full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Shopbop has a choose-your-own adventure type of culture. Solid infrastructure in place for career growth. Nice blend between Amazon and Shopbop, where you're able to take advantage of greater autonomy and expanded ownership at Shopbop, but also interface with Amazon teams across the globe. You are challenged each and every day to define problems and (literally) build solutions.

Cons

Greater autonomy and expanded opportunity can sometimes feel like a lack of structure or job definition. That's the type of environment best suited for innovation, but it's worth mentioning because others may expect or want a more defined set of responsibilities.

Advice to Management

Continue being accessible. Advocate for employees and recognize those that do outstanding work. Keep us posted on exciting technological developments and ways across the company that we are improving our shopping experience for customers. Team wins worth celebrating sometimes get lost in the noise and activity of our fast-paced work environment.

"Pointless, Politically-Charged Chaos"

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Madison, WI

I worked at Shopbop | East Dane full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Amazon stock (if you can hold out until it vests)
    - A stepping stone to better opportunities
    - A low bar against which all future employers can be measured, Shopbop combines a toxic, cutthroat culture with sloppy, sub-standard execution across all departments in one uniquely demoralizing work experience that will leave you scratching your head for years to come

Cons

- Amazon has failed in its grand ambition to disrupt the fashion industry. It's only a matter of time before Shopbop/East Dane joins Endless and My Habit in the graveyard of Amazon's ill-advised fashion play
    - Regardless of your level, role or department, your essential function is to pump heaps of trendy, crappy, overpriced, made-in-china product out into the world.
    - The current CEO is an internal hire with no business experience beyond buying. She got the gig after Amazon's first choice declined the post. Enough said.
    - Unbelievably high turnover--nine-month tenure is common--causing much chaos and confusion
    - Lack of resources needed to service massive backlog of tech debt
    - No clearly defined roles and responsibilities
    - Fashion office overrun with dimwitted refugees from dying print magazines with seemingly no regard for their primary objective: SELL PRODUCT
    - Low morale and poorly treated coworkers = big bummer

Advice to Management

Take a good, hard look at yourself in the mirror.

"Customer Service Representative Review"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Madison, WI

I have been working at Shopbop | East Dane full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, great discount, decent pay, fair amount of employee autonomy

Cons

Rude customers (con of customer service in general, not the company), tough hours, aggressive attendance policy