Shopbop | East Dane Reviews | Glassdoor

2.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Shopbop | East Dane CEO Darcy Penick
Darcy Penick

Pros
  • Receiving Amazon stock is a great perk, but it can vary based on job performance and also how the company is doing as a whole (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life balance can be broken down as follows; you will have no life to balance while working here (in 4 reviews)

• Too many people are placed into positions of power without formal training or education because of the high turnover within the company (in 6 reviews)

1. "Okay place to work"

Former Employee - Picker in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Picker in Madison, WI

I worked at Shopbop | East Dane full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good people management is always helpful and the benefits were great

Cons

They put too much emphasis on items picked per hour even when it's a very slow day

"Highly bureaucratic, no room to advance, lacks startup feel"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Shopbop | East Dane full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great for college grad content with working late nights and weekends in exchange for ShopBop name on resume

Lots of Advil handy

Relaxed dress code

Cons

Poor management

Low pay

Dismal office environment

High turnover

Many employees temporary and regarded as such

Little to no training, high output expectations

No room to advance-most hold same position 3-5 years or more

Departments not well staffed

Heavy, unmanageable workload

Zero work life balance

Advice to Management

Amazon should and can afford to hire better management, compensate talent properly, offer better company benefits

"Need to dismantle leadership from the very top down to fc managers"

Former Employee - FC Associate in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - FC Associate in Madison, WI

I worked at Shopbop | East Dane full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get paid, health benefits, diverse work setting

Cons

Ceo all the way down to fc management are very simple minded and show little concern of hiring and developing the best. Most associates who move up within the fc warehouse are preselected with no autonomy for a department or warehouse as a whole. Most leaders are highly inexperienced and have a deaf ear to the associates they support. Its a joke how they run things.

Advice to Management

Stop fixing things are not broken. Hire and develop the best... Stop playing favorites.

"Hard Work & Talent Undervalued, Mediocrity Rewarded!"

Former Employee - Customer Service in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Madison, WI

I worked at Shopbop | East Dane full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Discount is OK but many items are faulty or insanely overpriced. Benefits were all right. A lot of the employees are kind and way too good for the place. You may have to practically sell your soul and your first born to do so but you may earn raises every 6 months for the first 2 years.

Cons

Crying at your desk while working here will definitely happen. Work/Life balance can be broken down as follows; you will have no life to balance while working here. The social atmosphere is akin to middle school cliques. We didn't even get the breaks for full time employees mandated by law until someone complained to Amazon. Management is so incompetent and will lie about policies that of course are not documented. They will literally make up rules as they go along. The BS you will have to pass on to customers will keep you up at night. When you are hard working and go "above and beyond", you're actively punished due to insecure, mediocre, petty, competitive management. The only way to succeed here is to be mediocre enough so that you'll never actually be a credible threat to replace existing management. Well, aside from that you must also be a part of their clique. Sure, they may give you recognition in the form of what amounts to a participation ribbon but don't expect any tangible rewards for being a dedicated, detail oriented worker. They value the bottom line much more than quality work. Expect your work to be interrupted constantly by your coworkers exchanging memes and gossiping about customers in the instant messaging app that is mandatory to use. Reporting blatant wrongdoing is ignored so people tend to be pretty inappropriate. The atmosphere is so unprofessional yet extremely condescending. Absolutely abysmal excuse for "Human Resources" they are elusive. You have to go thru management to get to HR, which is clearly a conflict of interest. The higher level employees will often take credit for work done by their subordinates. The aluminum ceilings, nearby fire station and train tracks make it impossible to hear customers at times and that's just too bad. You will often be assigned extra work well outside the job description for no extra pay. Their standards across the board are not as high as their parent company's. There are so many damaged goods sold to customers. The company lacks integrity.

Advice to Management

I think that Shopbop will be integrated into Amazon Fashion abruptly one day. I would advise Amazon to cut their losses and do just that.

"Turnover, turnover and bad management"

Former Employee - Manager in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Manager in Madison, WI

I worked at Shopbop | East Dane full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You get paid every other week

Cons

Bad managers have never managed before
    NY office disrespectful to Madison office, they have fake over inflated titles that have gone to their heads
    Hiring is joke - hire, promote who they like; fire who they do not like
    Warehouse workers are not treated with respect, HR warehouse contacts are a joke
    When there are issues there is no one to go to
    HR only in NY these days
    Not sure how Shopbop stays in business, may be not much longer
    Employees are not happy
    Turnover has been a huge issue for years - those that are any good do not last because the bad ones drive them out

Advice to Management

Advice to amazon management - none because AMZN Management has never visited Shopbop and never will! They could careless about the people and do nothing about the bad managers

"Awful Working Conditions"

Former Employee - Production Specialist in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Production Specialist in Madison, WI

I worked at Shopbop | East Dane full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I received a pay check. This is about the only thing I have to say ShopBop helped me advance my career.

Cons

Managers have no clue how to manage people. Too many people are placed into positions of power without formal training or education because of the high turnover within the company. The management team is self serving and just terrible people.

Advice to Management

Close down the Madison operations and have Amazon ship from one of their warehouses. ShopBop is a dying company, start polishing your resumes.

"Why does this company still exist?"

Former Employee - Creative Manager in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Creative Manager in Madison, WI

I worked at Shopbop | East Dane full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Amazon stock, Amazon on your resume, unique workplace, cool location, the opportunity to see the inner workings of a fashion company in Madison, WI of all places

Cons

Questionable how long this company will exist. When Amazon acquired Shopbop in 2006, they hoped to leverage Shopbop's designer relationships and reputation as an up-and-coming fashion site as to gain a toehold in the higher-end fashion market. As Shopbop has failed in its mission to become a legit designer fashion site on par with Net-a-Porter, it no longer has value to Amazon.
    Shopbop's only tangible asset is a warehouse full of merchandise--much of it from vendors that Amazon also carries in their own "fashion" assortment. Amazon will likely eliminate this redundancy soon.

Advice to Management

Give people generous severance packages when you close up shop. They will all likely have to relocate to find jobs in this industry.

"No defined career path, difficult to advance"

Current Employee - Creative Department in Madison, WI

Pros

The people in the office are generally nice. My health insurance is wonderful.

My manager is flexible, understanding, and is okay with me working from home on occasion. My compensation for my field is good compared to other organizations in Madison. Receiving Amazon stock is a great perk, but it can vary based on job performance and also how the company is doing as a whole.

Cons

I have worked here over 5 years in an hourly position. I still have no career path, and despite asking about it and expressing interest in moving up, I have been given no opportunity or sign that I will get to become salaried at some point. It is very hard to move up in this company if you start at an hourly position. Also, there are very few high-level positions for non-managers.

A surprising amount of employees are paid hourly for positions that are worthy of a salaried status. Employees in important, highly skilled roles like photo retouching, HTML/CSS, and copywriting are generally hourly employees, despite having a great deal of responsibility and ownership.

Vacation time for hourly employees is quite limiting. There are some paid holidays, but not as much as other companies. There are many significant holidays, like Martin Luther King Jr day, when we have to work and others don't.

I don't love my job, but I stay because I don't think I have the skillset to make the same amount of money at another company in Madison.

As other reviews have stated, the turnover rate is quite high, particularly in the New York office.

Depending on where you sit in the building, the work environment can be non-ideal. Many employees sit in a repurposed warehouse space with no windows and nasty fluorescent lighting.

Advice to Management

We need career paths! Define our positions and let us know how we can work to move up. Promote based on merit. Offer more salaried positions. Employees will stick around if we have career paths.

Also, improve the aesthetics of the work environment. People are more productive and happy if we're exposed to natural light.

10. "Overall great company!"

Current Employee - Creative Department in Madison, WI

I have been working at Shopbop | East Dane full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great total compensation. Company is really open to change and doesn't just get stuck in their ways. If people have a new idea they are open to hearing them if they are justified.

Cons

Opportunity for growth is more limited in the creative department. It is hard to find upward career movement without going into management.

Advice to Management

Less meetings! Lots of the highest performers feeling forgotten. Focus on the people on your team and not so much on the other internal customers. To Sr. Management/HR - keep working on being more open and sharing info with the company. Lower level employees feel forgotten when the only updates come at the bi-annual all-hands meetings.

11. "Fulfillment center"

Current Employee - Fulfillment Center Manager in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Fulfillment Center Manager in Madison, WI

I have been working at Shopbop | East Dane full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Intelligent, hard working team. Freedom; not micro managed at all. Access to Amazon provides considerable options for career progression. Constant opportunities to challenge yourself.

Cons

The company takes the Amazon leadership principle of "frugality" to an entirely different level than Amazon does. As a result, it can be tough to get projects moved forward, even with a clear ROI.
    Bottom performers are dealt with relatively quickly, so don't expect a free lunch.

Advice to Management

Continue to provide the same level of autonomy and don't be afraid to invest in the future, even when the picture isn't entirely clear. Make the best decision you can with the information you have at the time!