KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Shopify

Engaged Employer

Shopify

Add a Review

Shopify Employee Reviews about "guru"

Updated Oct 29, 2021

Found 63 of over 1,698 reviews

4.3
Shopify CEO Tobias Lütke
Tobias Lütke
1,084 Ratings

What people are saying about Shopify

Join the conversation on

Salary & Compensation

4d

a

Customer Success Manager

Hi All, I'm negotiating a compensation offer from Shopify in Europe. The recruiter mentioned starting is at 46k €...which is way lower that what I made in Canada. I'm trying to do my research on the market. Are there any Customer Success Managers or Merchant Success that can share what are the ranges in Europe. Shopify Thanks

10 Comments

Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "Great benefits and actually care for you and encourage you to use all your vacation and personal days.(in 188 reviews)
  • "+ great people ( talent and 'just' people wise )(in 168 reviews)
  • "Great culture and perks.(in 158 reviews)
  • "5, work from home if sick).(in 70 reviews)
  • "Great work life balance(in 49 reviews)
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Shopify and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "guru"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

The culture is great, the job not so much

Jul 16, 2019 - Customer Success Guru
    Business Outlook

Pros

Most of the people in Guruland are amazing. Perks are okay and working from home is amazing.

Cons

The job is ultimately a customer service one in which you have to support everything - Paypal, Google Analytics, Amazon...literally all the integrations available, not just the actual platform. Worse though is the difficulty in switching roles - if you're hired as a guru and want to move to a support position, you can pretty much forget it unless you're up for some serious remote networking. Despite claims to the contrary, this company is not a meritocracy.

6 people found this review helpful
  2. 3.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Trained for 6 weeks and only been given a week to prove self after training

Nov 1, 2017 - Guru
    Business Outlook

Pros

- The trainers, mentors and Guru builders are great/helpful. I had a very good experience with each one of them and training was fun. - The benefits offered by this company is pretty amazing. - Probably the most interesting town hall I've ever been to and I think the company's CEO is pretty awesome. - Most people who works in this company are competitive but very supportive at the same time. - There are really pretty amazing people in this company who would take the time to help you, to explain to you, to educate you, and to support you no matter how busy they are.

Cons

- The training was quite intense as they try to cover so many things in a short period of time and at the same time you're getting bombarded with new features that you need to familiarize yourself with. - Managing 3 chats at a time can be overwhelming and stressful especially when you are expected to respond to the merchants every 2-3 minutes while digging/researching, chatting with your team and other support group asking for help - if this isn't met a week after being out of training, it is possible that you can get terminated. - Working from home may sound like a great idea but with the expectations set (particularly for 3 chats), it can be challenging especially when you can't get a hold of internal support to be able to get back to the merchants immediately. - Most Squad leads are very understanding, unfortunately mine was not. I was always reminded to up-sell (I've only been out of training for a week). I was only been given feedback for chat interactions, mostly criticizing at how slow I got back to the merchants (there's 3 support channels - email, chats, and phone). I was never given the motivation and support needed to improve - advice to Gurus, the moment you think there is something wrong with your Squad lead, reach out to HR or someone higher to seek advice before it's too late. Advice to the management, please train your Squad lead thoroughly.

14 people found this review helpful
  3. 2.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Needs work.

Jun 24, 2019 - Guru
    Business Outlook

Pros

$5k spending account Uppermost management seems intelligent

Cons

No scheduled breaks except lunch - leads to Gurus being overworked and stressed Management blames Gurus for busy queues and other problems Too much on your plate - Gurus should be experts in sections, not jacks of all trades Fake trust batteries - they talk about trust and communication, but the more experienced leads are all about manipulation and backstabbing Fake culture - pretend to be happy and you'll go far. Tell the truth and be shunned. Incredibly unorganized - large company that thinks it's a small business. Taxes are messed up between provinces, holiday time and sick time is not well tracked, and that is not communicated to you until you're out of paid time off.

7 people found this review helpful
  4. 2.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Only suitable if you like chaos & high stress environments

Oct 29, 2021 - Customer Success Guru
    Business Outlook

Pros

You got time off during the week for training and upskilling Work from home Good salary & excellent scheme where you could get % money off any health & wellness (like fitness classes/yoga mats/sports equipment/art books, etc)

Cons

Working on 3 chats meant your eyes did not leave the computer screen for at least 2.5 hours (sometimes more) - how on earth is this good for health & safety? I ended up developing a painful neck & shoulder injury from the stress of holding my body in a rigid position during the chats - had to go to a physio for a full 12 months to sort it out. Was the most stressful job I’ve ever had. I tried to get into another department whilst working there but it seems you have to be there years before that’s possible. If I could have progressed from the Guru role, I probably would have stayed longer as salary & benefits were so good. After 6 months there, you are expected to deal with the Plus customers (customers who have a yearly turnover of $1 million) - talk about pressure!

3 people found this review helpful
  5. 2.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Stressful

Sep 18, 2021 - Support Advisor in Cork
    Business Outlook

Pros

Salary is fair. Benefits are amazing. Work from Home role.

Cons

I'm here about 4 months in the Support Advisor role. I am one of the most senior on my team and get called upon to mentor the newbies. The company is growing rapidly in Ireland and most advisors are moving up to specialised teams quickly. That is a positive for those who move on but for those of us starting out there is very little help in this crazy job. You have to provide support on shipping, billing, taxes, apps, Facebook, Instagram, the Shop app, retail POS hardware, tech issues, SEO, theme issues, design and deliver 'merchant growth' i.e upselling in all those interactions. It's an insane workload and the training is subpar. We had a very large training group lead by a lovely trainer who had the right manner but was totally let down by the curriculum. We spent most of our time reading course after course on feature after feature. One short course on domains and we were supposed to go on live channels and troubleshoot domain issues, same for international sales taxes, Shopify Capital offerings, Facebook integration....Impossible. On weeks 4 and 5 we were introduced to mentors but it was different guys every session, some excellent, some terrible. We were thrown on 3 chats without enough practice and with little support from the mentor, at the end of that session, one member of my group almost walked, and another collected 2 'frownies' from dissatisfied merchants. Talk about demotivating someone! I cannot even blame the merchants, imagine wanting to get help with analytics, domain transfers or customising your site and getting a newbie who is still in training! Even worse when we were put on phones. Only 2 members of my group got a call, another frownie was picked up there and the rest of us were put onto teams with no call training and scheduled for call shifts on week 1. My own first solo session on live chats was scheduled for 8am when most of my team were not yet in, and with an average tenure on the team of about 4 months not sure they'd have been any use! Stress isn't the word and so it goes 4 months in. Every day I get queries I haven't a clue about. Queries that require specialised training to be able to answer the merchant. We are told to google, navigate help cards and fake it till you make it. We can ask the specialised support teams but each of them has iron clad rules about what we can ask and heaven help you if you ask and they think you should have just googled. Head. Bitten. Off. Team leads are nice people, but mine and many others were promoted to leadership after a few months with no management experience. They are pleasant and we get to have 2x monthly hour long team meetings where Shopify gives us some money to buy food, merch etc for the team. But there's just no support. If you say you are totally frazzled, feel undertrained and ill-prepared to give merchants the support they deserve you are sent a flowery article on imposter syndrome and told to....google better when you get a question. So, 4 months in, and I love WFH, I'm happy with the salary and the benefits are amazing. This job could be a dream job, I'd love to stay here in rural Ireland working at home without the commute but I'm already at the end of my rope. Have lost 10 pounds, have pounding headaches by the end of the day, and am sick to my stomach when dealing with phone calls from merchants who want advice on analytics and coding and Italian couriers and Swedish taxes and credit card chargebacks and policy documents. Not to mention the ones who want me to guide them through setting up collections and importing from Oberlo and sorting their variants live on the call and get snappy when I'm slow as someone poorly trained and new to the job would be. Like all call center jobs you also have rude, rude people who yell at you over things you have no control over like credit card transaction fees and delayed mail. Others come in with an attitude, won't do anything you say, and give you a 'frownie' 2 mins after you send them a long email with possible solutions which they clearly did not read or try to implement. I will probably be gone before Christmas, I'm hanging on to reach my goal of paying off my car loan. I'll miss my lovely coworkers, the benefits, no commute!, and the very cool swag boxes that Shopify sends out. But my body can't hold up under the constant stress much longer. Shopify really needs to consider having specialised teams instead of jack of all trades advisers FKA gurus. At the very least revamp the training. As I type a new bunch of advisors are landing in their teams, I have had them shadowing me this week and they are stunned, scared, stressed, and feel totally unprepared.

18 people found this review helpful
  6. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Shopify is one of the best companies to work at

Dec 14, 2020 - Workforce Management Specialist in Vancouver, BC
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Education, I started as a guru/customer support specialist and was put through a rigorous 8-week training course with many others before even starting the job. - Benefits - Stock - Culture - Remote work - I really connected with the mission and I love everything technical and being at Shopify was one of the best decisions I've ever made because now I know how to run a remote, e-commerce/SASS company.

Cons

The pay is generally less than other top tech companies due to how amazing the company is to work at, people have a hard time leaving!

Be the first to find this review helpful

Shopify Response

Social Care

Hello, there! Thank you for sharing your experience. We are so happy to hear that you’ve had such a positive experience working at Shopify. Knowledge at Shopify is important, so having a thorough training process makes such a beneficial difference when one prepares for a new role. We are so lucky to have great benefits and amazing perks here at Shopify. It’s important for employees to be able to thrive in their work environment and feel appreciated in their position. To touch on pay; salaries are consistently reviewed at Shopify to make sure they are competitive with the current market. Our Talent team regularly assess roles within the company to ensure that all compensation is meeting the current market value and industry standard. Again, thank you for sharing your feedback!

7. 3.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Stressful Company to work for ( Stay Away)

Mar 6, 2021 - Customer Success Guru - Remote in Brampton, ON
    Business Outlook

Pros

Benefits, Training and Co-workers were good. Company leaders are good

Cons

Stressful Managers, have to meet quotas and lack of break time. Plus little room for improvement since there are so many gurus

4 people found this review helpful
  8. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

This is the most forward thinking company on planet earth. And I'm thrilled to be part of the ride.

Jun 10, 2020 - Marketing in Toronto, ON
    Business Outlook

Pros

I was hired into the company exactly one month after graduating college. Shopify was the only company I applied to after graduation, as I refused to try my hand anywhere else until I got my firm "no" from their recruiters. They were ranked as the best company in Canada of 2017, and I had really high hopes for myself. For whatever reason, I made it through the Google-esque hiring process, which felt more like a chat with an old friend than an interview at an A1 tech company. I started out as a support guru, and slowly worked my way up the support ranks over the next two years. The Guru role is very much of that of a fancy call center, with levels of business coaching peppered in. It's a tough job, but it's compensated extremely fairly for the work. I'm one of those people who "made it" from support to an internal role of the company, and it was a hell of a journey. Support took a toll on me, and I was eager to show the company how much more I was capable of. It took a couple years, but I like to think they recognize hard workers when they see one. I now work internally, and can honestly say this job was worth the two-year wait. Our benefits are incredible, or pay is competitive, and the company's vision is something I can truly get behind. I'd do it all again in a heartbeat.

Cons

A few years ago, it would be common to work your way up from a support guru to anywhere within the organization. As the company has grown exponentially, increased competition has made internal movement exponentially more difficult- but absolutely not impossible. If you're willing to put in the work, the time, and the passion here, you will get recognized. You just have to work harder and smarter than everyone around you. If you identify a need internally that you are uniquely suited to fill, it's not unheard of to create your own job. In fact, I'd say it's encouraged.

10 people found this review helpful

Shopify Response

Social Care

Hi, thanks so much for being so open here. It sounds like we’re a perfect match; you had your heart set on working here and it looks like we were pretty impressed with you too! During the hiring process, our Life Story sessions are designed to be just that - a chat about your life. If it was the Support Advisor role you initially interviewed for, the Life Story is an important part; you’ll be having genuine interactions with merchants on a daily basis, so it’s good to get a feel of how your personality comes through! It’s also a great chance for you to see how you like our team and ask us any questions you like. The Support Advisor role is not intended to be a ‘stepping stone’ to other roles within the company. The knowledge and experience you will get in this role are invaluable, and essential to helping our merchants in the long term. That being said, if you do want to build your career in a different part of Shopify, the Support Advisor role is a great place to start! The skills you learn there will be transferable no matter where you go within Shopify. When hiring for a position, candidates showing initiative and creative thinking is always a plus; essentially, someone who took something and made it better. While hard work is definitely rewarded, you will never be expected to work longer hours than your schedule or bring extra stress to yourself. We take mental health very seriously, and would not encourage anyone to push themselves beyond their limits in order to apply for a different position. We’ve also added Career Pathing to your resources in the internal support pages (Vault) so that it is now easier to focus a role you love and the process of transition into it is much more transparent. I’m so glad you find your current role so rewarding, Thank you again for the review!

9. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Fantastic company

Jun 10, 2020 - Theme Specialist in Victoria, BC
    Business Outlook

Pros

You work from home. The commute is amazing The benefits package is great, and you get it on Employment Day 1 (for full time employees). Leadership is always learning and growing with their employees. They don't always get it right, but they're willing to learn from their mistakes.

Cons

Entry level (Guru) is an incredibly stressful job. It will take all of your spoons. Progressing in the company is not as easy as it used to be (because the company is so much bigger). Our racial diversity needs a lot of work.

1 person found this review helpful