KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Shopify

Engaged Employer

Shopify

Add a Review

Shopify Employee Reviews about "gurus"

Updated Mar 2, 2020

Found 28 of over 1,092 reviews

4.3
Shopify CEO Tobias Lütke
Tobias Lütke
Pros
  • "Flexible work hours and good work from home support(in 67 reviews)

• "Get to work from home, great benefits(in 47 reviews)

• Cons
  • "The experiences that gurus have seems to be very different from that of RnD/ other disciplines(in 28 reviews)

• "Higher ups preach "work/life harmony" (work/life balance) but you'll get side eye if you try to leave the office before 5 on a Friday(in 18 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Shopify and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "gurus"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 2.0

Needs work.

Jun 24, 2019 - Guru
      Business Outlook

Pros

$5k spending account Uppermost management seems intelligent

Cons

No scheduled breaks except lunch - leads to Gurus being overworked and stressed Management blames Gurus for busy queues and other problems Too much on your plate - Gurus should be experts in sections, not jacks of all trades Fake trust batteries - they talk about trust and communication, but the more experienced leads are all about manipulation and backstabbing Fake culture - pretend to be happy and you'll go far. Tell the truth and be shunned. Incredibly unorganized - large company that thinks it's a small business. Taxes are messed up between provinces, holiday time and sick time is not well tracked, and that is not communicated to you until you're out of paid time off.

6 people found this review helpful
    2. 3.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Trained for 6 weeks and only been given a week to prove self after training

Nov 1, 2017 - Guru
      Business Outlook

Pros

- The trainers, mentors and Guru builders are great/helpful. I had a very good experience with each one of them and training was fun. - The benefits offered by this company is pretty amazing. - Probably the most interesting town hall I've ever been to and I think the company's CEO is pretty awesome. - Most people who works in this company are competitive but very supportive at the same time. - There are really pretty amazing people in this company who would take the time to help you, to explain to you, to educate you, and to support you no matter how busy they are.

Cons

- The training was quite intense as they try to cover so many things in a short period of time and at the same time you're getting bombarded with new features that you need to familiarize yourself with. - Managing 3 chats at a time can be overwhelming and stressful especially when you are expected to respond to the merchants every 2-3 minutes while digging/researching, chatting with your team and other support group asking for help - if this isn't met a week after being out of training, it is possible that you can get terminated. - Working from home may sound like a great idea but with the expectations set (particularly for 3 chats), it can be challenging especially when you can't get a hold of internal support to be able to get back to the merchants immediately. - Most Squad leads are very understanding, unfortunately mine was not. I was always reminded to up-sell (I've only been out of training for a week). I was only been given feedback for chat interactions, mostly criticizing at how slow I got back to the merchants (there's 3 support channels - email, chats, and phone). I was never given the motivation and support needed to improve - advice to Gurus, the moment you think there is something wrong with your Squad lead, reach out to HR or someone higher to seek advice before it's too late. Advice to the management, please train your Squad lead thoroughly.

12 people found this review helpful
    3. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Fantastic company to work for

Jan 29, 2020 - Data Scientist in Ottawa, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Great growth opportunities, and opportunities to mentor and be mentored - Lots of freedom, people treat each other like adults - Fantastic culture, open and transparent, anyone can question decisions - I get to work with smart, nice people every day on interesting problems - The company really cares about getting better

Cons

- The experiences that gurus have seems to be very different from that of RnD/ other disciplines. - Things change quickly, you have to get used to that

Be the first to find this review helpful
    4. 2.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

High stress

Mar 2, 2020 - Customer Success Guru
      Business Outlook

Pros

The pay and benefits are truly out of this world. Not sure if they are worth sticking around for but definitely better than other companies and jobs of similar nature.

Cons

Where do I even start? The training is very rushed and fast paced - you cover the absolute basics of this massive platform to then after six weeks go into “guru land” and support people on things you never even heard of. My own trainer described their first year working in Shopify as “everyday I started my shift I felt like I was driving off a cliff” and this is how I feel constant stress and pressure because each day I will be expected to support something I have no training in. THREE CHATS!! I shouldn’t need to elaborate but let me, No matter how long you’re here three chats is a daunting task and creates an extremely poor service especially as many merchants want their issue solved immediately. Imagine having to chat with three people, launch their stores, their admin etc, troubleshoot their issue or find info and then having to try business coach them towards the end of the chat it’s simply too stressful and borders near impossible for many. Some people might like it but two should be the Max and opt into three if you’re comfortable as opposed to pressuring people into three. Calls are somewhat nicer as at least then you’re only dealing with one person so you have breathing space. Throughout training and mentoring you’re given rather vague feedback and told you’re doing great to only then go into guruland and be ripped apart by your squad lead. Who will tell you it’s normal to know very little but then absolutely obliterate you for not knowing something and providing inadequate support. There’s simply no win! Escalated teams don’t work on live channels so everyone is rushing to get into those squads. This again creates a pretty harsh environment for gurus as you cannot simply escalate a problem and see it’s sorted quickly. The platform itself does seem well designed but has far too many flaws and allows dare I say too much customisation? This is fine for those who are actually able to code but 9 time out of 10 it is somebody following a help article that gets it wrong, contacts support, support don’t know how to code so are reading from the exact same help document and stressing themselves because they don’t know the answer. It’s toxic and really hard to deal with. There is zero pay for working extra hours, which is expected. Especially as you begin with the company a lot of your live interactions will be pushed to emails as you simply don’t know the answer. This in turn leads to a huge personal queue which you have 45 mins to get through, 15 mins in the morning and 30 in the evening. I have often had to stay way past my shift finish time as this “get it done” culture is embraced despite the stress and work life imbalance it creates. There is so much more I could say here but writing this even makes me stressed and sad. I don’t see myself lasting much longer in the role, the stress and pressure is too much and unfortunately this is common right across the company. Turnover is high due to the ridiculous demands and expectations.

12 people found this review helpful
    5. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Recent Guru

Nov 12, 2019 - Customer Success Guru - Remote in Ottawa, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

Being able to work from home

Cons

Unbelievable expectations from gurus. It is always expanding and covers all aspects of the front facing business. Includes trouble shooting, coaching and SALES WHICH THEY TRY TO DISGUISE. The pay is in no way aligned with the work required. You are contantly micromanaged by less than competent managers and get hammered for stepping away from your computer for a minute. 30-minute lunch break! What??? Unless I'm ordering takeout every day, it doesn't work. They expect you to have fast internet, but don't pay for it?? Expect you to be reachable by the slack app on your cell phone but don't cover your plan or phone???? Supremely unprofessional and use all the colorful language you can think of, which is endorsed by corporate because I guess they're hip? Everybody you meet talks about how they moved up from being a guru into whatever role they are in now. YA OK, when there were 100 employees that's bound to happen, not when there's 10000. This also results in incompetence all across.

13 people found this review helpful
    6. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Guruland is drowning. This will harm your mental health.

Jun 28, 2019 - Customer Support Guru in Ottawa, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

Benefits package is very good, however it doesn't include vision for some reason.

Cons

The position of guru is touted as being the perfect stepping stone into the company. I can tell you, flat out, that is a lie. If you don't know someone (have an 'in' with someone from that department) you will not be hired into a new role. Guruing is hard work. The platform changes everyday and you are expected to change with it. New features are expected to be learned (without adequate time to train and practice). Some features are removed with little notice and we are expected to explain why to upset merchants (with ~positive positioning~ and offering them a chance to pay more money for a different plan than what they currently have). Shopify seems to pride itself on being a cool, hip place to work. However, guruland is drowning. There's not enough being done to show care for gurus mental health. We're told that 'breaking' is completely normal and expected. Isn't it sad that a company is telling their employees, the front line faces of their company, that yes, you will have mental breakdowns while working here? Gurus aren't afforded the same leave benefits as the rest of the company. Most of the weekends up to the end of the year are already booked. Vacation is very, very structured and if you don't book it right away you will not get it. I know I'm complaining, but it's all I can do to help future gurus who apply for this position. Please know what you're getting into when you apply. It's a stressful, relentless, mentally exhausting job. You will experience burnout and it will harm your mental health.

40 people found this review helpful
    7. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great Company with Great Benefits

Feb 12, 2020 - Analista financiero y responsable de RR. HH. de fábrica in Dublin, Dublin
      Business Outlook

Pros

-Excellent company culture and great people -Good career opportunities and mobility -Fast paced and exciting environment and space to work in -Remote work and other benefits

Cons

-Salary for Gurus is a bit low -Remote work can be hard to manage for some people

Be the first to find this review helpful
    8. 3.0
      Former Employee

Fair Company, great perks and awesome team members

Nov 20, 2019 - Customer Success Guru - Remote
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Great benefits, from dental/ medical - Offer personal development time and encourage you to learn more and improve your professional and personal skills - Awesome interactions with various team members from all over the world - Great opportunities to network within the company - Can create your own websites and play around. You'll know the inside tips and tricks and can have a higher chance of making things work online than a first time website creator - You'll get Shopify shares when joining which will be fully transferred to you over a period of 3+ years. This is great as Shopify is doing very well on stock markets - You will be given $5k/ year to either use for lifestyle expenses, RRSP, charity & 1 more. - You get paid OT if you sign up for it - You get a certain amount of days off a year, in addition to personal days

Cons

- You will be dealing with customers who are reaching out only when something is wrong. Nobody really contacts customer care to show their appreciation. Dealing with negativity on a near daily basis can be very depressing - Dealing with angry customers on phone calls, especially for new gurus. Some people just want something for free - and this can be very wearing mentally - Many days you will work past your work hours catching up with mails, you don't get paid OT for this - Your schedule always changes, in terms of days of the week. There are rotations, your hours are fixed, but you could be working Saturday/ Sundays for a while, then perhaps Tuesdays/ Thursdays would be off etc. - If you're stuck with a team lead who you don't gel with, or team members that may rub you up the wrong way, you're in for it

5 people found this review helpful
    9. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great mission- guruland needs work

Jul 23, 2019 - Guru
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Easy mission to get behind: make commerce better for everyone - Visionary CEO - Working from home can be awesome - Great peeks + benefits - The guru role will give you a strong knowledge base not only of the Shopify platform, but also allows you to learn how to be an expert in commerce in general. If you are into business/entrepreneurship, this is a great way to learn and get paid at the same time. - People you work with are really genuinely nice. Your squad becomes your family. - Very progressive company in many ways when it comes to inclusion, diversity, mental health, and self care

Cons

Shopify is a great company to work for. If you are able to embrace the role of guru until mastery and then move on to something better, I think it’s a great stepping stone into other areas of the company. The cons below reflect my views of guruland. - Some gurus are straight up smarter + show more potential than their squad leads. From a high performer perspective, it’s tough to be coached by someone you know you can do the job better than. Unfortunately, if you want to advance and/or keep your position, you will need to get this person on your side and let them believe they are helping you so that they feel like they’re good at their job. - Reward for high performance is minimal. Even if you exceed your KPIs by 2x or 3x the expectation, the alleged “maximum” increase after a performance review is not much. If someone is putting up metrics that are equivalent to the work of 2 or 3 people, should they be getting paid only slightly more than the weakest link? - 30 min lunch is too short in my opinion. The issue is that scaling an extra 15 or 30 mins across hundreds of employees equates to a serious loss of productivity. I still think it would be worth it for employee morale, but there’s no data to show that. - Middle management and upper-middle management have some blind spots when it comes to the front line. Sometimes it feels like they are too removed. I’d love to see them hop back into the job 1 full day per quarter to regain perspective. - I don’t think the comp increase to go to a squad lead matches the responsibility increase. - advancement into another role is a grind. You can go through multiple rounds of interviews to find out that they are no longer hiring for that role. - internal talent movement can be better leveraged. The talent available in guruland is very high, but I feel like many high performers are not being used to their full potential. - the kool aid is good at first, but after a while it’s just kool aid, and you can spot it very easily - sometimes you will interact with incompetent and or disrespectful people.

13 people found this review helpful
    10. 1.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Toxic place to work, do not believe the hype. Honeymoon period is a thing.

Dec 11, 2019 - Customer Success Guru in Dublin, Dublin
      Business Outlook

Pros

The other Gurus you work with are nice people.

Cons

This company has an environment of high stress and high anxiety, with little to no pay increase reflecting the time and dedicated work of its employees. The leadership is very poor and inconsistent, especially at the squad and time lead levels. There is constant micro-managment. Performance reviews for Gurus are done by people who do not actually do the kind of work routinely that they critique, in some cases they have not done it for years. The place has a huge cult atmosphere. There is a ridiculously high burn out rate for staff. The type of work is very lonely and extremley isolating. There are high expectations in every aspect of your work, you will be monitored and recorded to a totalitarian level that puts 1984 to shame. There is a constant rat race to get out of Guruland and into another role. Guruland as a whole is a glorified call centre, nothing more, do not believe the hype. People are slowly drained of energy and most quit around the two or three year mark unless they move into a promoted role. Those who have moved on to bigger roles do not glance back. Promotions stink of nepotisim and cliques are rampant. Expect to work most if not all major holidays, weekends are also worked but you are not informed of this until after the hiring and training process. The place is in a desperate need of a union for employees. There is little to no long term planning, which is ridiculous for a company planning to be 100 years old. As a Guru, it is a soul crushing, empathy sucking, time demanding job and it will wear down anyone. There might be a reply to this review from management that will "understand where these feelings are coming from" and "it is not for everyone", they "empathise and understand" and they "make changes to address these kinds of issues" but that is lip service. They are looking to cover themselves and protect the company image at the cost of Gurulands wellbeing. It is business as usual and unsurprisingly they hemorrhage talent. All in all, it is a pretty bleak place to work, they will kill any enthusiasm you have for the role and I would not recommend anyone to work here.

7 people found this review helpful