KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Shopify

Engaged Employer

Shopify

Add a Review

Shopify Employee Reviews about "shopify"

Updated Nov 28, 2021

Found 221 of over 1,713 reviews

4.3
Shopify CEO Tobias Lütke
Tobias Lütke
1,098 Ratings

What people are saying about Shopify

Join the conversation on
Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "Great benefits and actually care for you and encourage you to use all your vacation and personal days.(in 189 reviews)
  • "+ great people ( talent and 'just' people wise )(in 178 reviews)
  • "Great culture and perks.(in 156 reviews)
  • "Work from home, good salary, paid sick days, awesome coworkers and okey benefits(in 70 reviews)
  • "Great work life balance(in 46 reviews)
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Shopify and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "shopify"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 5.0

Merchant Obsessed, Employee Obsessed

Sep 28, 2021 - Sales Development Representative in Indianapolis, IN
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great pay, benefits, leadership, purpose, playbook!

Cons

No job is perfect but Shopify is pretty close.

2. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great place to work if you’re comfortable with change

Sep 11, 2021 - Product Designer
    Business Outlook

Pros

My leads have always been extremely supportive and helpful with my personal and professional growth. My needs have always been considered and I’ve always been put on projects that would help me grow as a designer.

Cons

There is a lot of change—tools, practices, team focus, and even teams themselves. I’ve been on 4 different teams in 3 years which meant new leads as well. It’s always tough to start with a new lead since you have to re-build relationships that would them help with career growth. The team changes have always been valid and logical.. but it still happens. Shopify is not scared to shift priorities or change project focus if there’s clear signals to do so. That’s just something to be okay with if you work here.

3 people found this review helpful
  3. 2.0
    Current Employee

Not the old Shopify anymore — what made it great is slowly disappearing

May 18, 2021 - Product Designer
    Business Outlook

Pros

Most people are nice and friendly to work with which makes the job bearable. Really brilliant folks in some corners of the company that are smart and inspiring. We get some remote benefits but not a lot for a remote company.

Cons

Mass exodus of folks who have been here for 3-10 years ever since fall of last year. Leaves you with a lot of new people trying to get their footing with not a lot of people to show you the ropes. Shopify magic is disappearing with the offices gone and these tenured folks leaving. They know when it’s gone. Be prepared for constantly changing teams and management structures. No UX Researchers, every team has to do their own research and you can imagine how that is going. Product researchers do research for product directors and not for teams.

31 people found this review helpful
  4. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great culture, great people, great mission!

Sep 16, 2021 - Senior Front End Developer
    Business Outlook

Pros

Shopify works hard at building fun engaging culture, the CEO is transparent and thoughtful, and helping people start and run small businesses is rewarding.

Cons

The company is going through a lot of growth and change, but there are lots of chances to have a big impact.

5. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Solid company, cares about employees; experience varies based on lead

Sep 17, 2021 - Senior Software Developer/Analyst in Ontario, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

* Excellent and very accessible senior leadership team * Excellent level of transparency and autonomy for a company of this size * Invested in using updated tools and technologies - for example, teams dedicated to improving developer tooling and teams on payroll to contribute to open source systems that are important to the company * Company is trying really hard to address diversity, but systemic issues remain (though this is tech-wide) * Unlimited vacation with a "minimum" of 3 weeks, which is well-enforced but can vary on a team by team basis * Very hard to get bored as it is easy to move teams if you're looking for a new problem or even learning a different stack * Technical leadership chain who are actually useful and helpful and can offer useful feedback in reviews

Cons

* No RRSP matching or stock purchase plan; stock refreshes are very small * Most eng teams have on-call, expect some off-hours work * Psychological safety can vary wildly across teams - but Shopify's defaults are very good (Shopify wide its a blameless culture, but pockets of teams can vary) * Pay for impact company; which is great, but also means that experience is not valued. Middle management are constantly re-learning "obvious" things or things that would be expected of a lead (for example, managing individuals; since it is pay for impact company, and impact on individuals can be hard to measure, you often get promoted w/o actual leadership experience). * Work-life balance will vary; hero culture is prevalent, especially for folks looking to move "up" the ladder quickly. (again, very low value on diversity of experience and too high of a value on impact) - the how doesn't matter, only the what does

3 people found this review helpful
  6. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

A lot is changing.. and not in a good way

Sep 28, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great company. Great product. Sky is the limit.

Cons

The people. All the good people have left or are on their way out. What made Shopify magical has slowly disappeared. Way too many egos and poor management styles.

11 people found this review helpful
  7. 5.0
    Former Intern, more than 3 years

Great Culture; Sometimes Incremental Work

May 2, 2021 - Anonymous Intern
    Business Outlook

Pros

The human focused culture at Shopify is second-to-none in Canada, in my opinion.

Cons

The work that I was doing was relatively incremental and I had to zoom out pretty far in order to understand how it might impact real people which is why I chose not to pursue fulltime.

8. 1.0
    Current Employee

Toxic work culture starts at the top.

Mar 20, 2017 -
    Business Outlook

Pros

Benefits and the salary are probably one of the better things about working here. It's challenging no matter were you are and you won't get bored. As poorly as I think of this company, its culture, some of the many bad apples, and my experiences in its totality, it's a good product.

Cons

Support is treated as expendable and yet they make them jump through so many hoops in order to get the job (rightly so). They have a high turnover rate for a reason. There is no job security whatsoever. If you have any disability (physical or mental), you are expendable. They really play up how they care about the mental health of employees but at the end of the day, it's a business - not a family. They will ask to part ways. It's an industry-wide issue. Unfortunately, Shopify is part of the problem. If you have any life issues going on that are severely impacting your life circumstances (family death, illness etc.), you are expendable. Discrimination and racism is rampant and goes unaddressed. The "diversity and inclusion" in this company is like a hemorrhaging wound. They have some really hardworking and talented "model minorities" at the top but literally everything else there makes many minorities feel uncomfortable and shocked at what's openly shared and said. There's a huge class divide between Support and everyone else in the company. It's apparent in the culture, in the summits, in how the company runs its everyday. Higher ups can't handle criticism and the CEO is a WHOLE. Other. Story. You guys sure have a lot of people who have drunk the company kool-aid. It's embarrassing.

61 people found this review helpful

Shopify Response

HR Lead

Thank you for taking the time to offer a comment – although I must admit we were concerned to read some of some of the issues you raised. We believe that everyone at Shopify should feel comfortable being their authentic self at work and we focus our hiring and culture philosophies to foster such authenticity. We’re committed to diversity in tech and we are working hard to develop strategies around diverse hiring. Some recent examples are bias training for our recruiters, inclusive leadership training for managers, and have also identified Inclusion Champions to further our efforts. Of course, it does not stop there, as we are continuously looking to move the needle in this space. We are sorry that you feel there is a lack of support for those going through mental health challenges, that can be a very lonely place and it is definitely top of mind. We know that an employee will not perform at their best if they have personal issues weighing them down. This is why we have a network of professional coaches on staff to help develop our employees personally and professionally. We also offer leave provisions for employees to deal with personal issues as well as an Employee Assistance Program should our employees need access to professional help. I also encourage you to check out our disability and mental health internal employee communities for additional support. Again, we appreciate the time you took to write your review, and hope we can assist you should you need it. Please reach out to your lead or your HRBP for support.

9. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Expectations do not meet salary

Mar 25, 2019 - Customer Success Guru
    Business Outlook

Pros

working for shopify lol great perks 5k spending account laptops and monitor

Cons

workload, doing 3 chats at once for 4 hours in a day with 30 min lunch and then the rest of the day back to back phones

10 people found this review helpful
  10. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 5 years

Grow your tech skills but don't stay long

Sep 22, 2021 - Software Developer Manager