KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Shopify

Engaged Employer

Shopify

Add a Review

Shopify Employee Reviews about "work from home"

Updated Jan 22, 2021

Found 67 of over 1,091 reviews

4.3
Shopify CEO Tobias Lütke
Tobias Lütke
Pros
  • "Flexible work hours and good work from home support(in 67 reviews)

• "Get to work from home, great benefits(in 47 reviews)

• Cons
  • "The experiences that gurus have seems to be very different from that of RnD/ other disciplines(in 28 reviews)

• "Higher ups preach "work/life harmony" (work/life balance) but you'll get side eye if you try to leave the office before 5 on a Friday(in 18 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Shopify and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "work from home"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0

Guru

Apr 16, 2019 - Customer Success Guru - Remote
      Business Outlook

Pros

Work from home, and the benefits

Cons

Advancement in company is slow and or hard

2. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

The culture is great, the job not so much

Jul 16, 2019 - Customer Success Guru
      Business Outlook

Pros

Most of the people in Guruland are amazing. Perks are okay and working from home is amazing.

Cons

The job is ultimately a customer service one in which you have to support everything - Paypal, Google Analytics, Amazon...literally all the integrations available, not just the actual platform. Worse though is the difficulty in switching roles - if you're hired as a guru and want to move to a support position, you can pretty much forget it unless you're up for some serious remote networking. Despite claims to the contrary, this company is not a meritocracy.

6 people found this review helpful
    3. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Very Micromanaged

Jun 12, 2019 - Customer Success Guru - Remote
      Business Outlook

Pros

-Benefits are amazing -Salary is decent -Work from home

Cons

-Lacks diversity -Leads are not very understanding of peoples unique situations -very micromanaged

3 people found this review helpful
    4. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great company to work at

Jan 13, 2021 - Senior Developer in Berlin
      Business Outlook

Pros

Work on impactful things Lots of autonomy Flexible work hours and good work from home support

Cons

Projects can move quite slowly There can be too much waiting to get clarity on the direction at times

5. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Incredible Road into Shopify

Oct 11, 2020 - Support Advisor in Vancouver, BC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great people to work with, the ability to work from home, great experience, super energized opportunity to help make a difference for small and medium global business owners.

Cons

Starting wage is not reflective of the work load or the expertise required to perform at a high level in this role. Previous experience is not taken into consideration when compensation is offered.

4 people found this review helpful

Social Care

Hello, there! Thank you for sharing your experience! When Shopify went digital by default, it was important for all Shopify employees to feel comfortable working their role from home. It’s great that you’re loving working remotely. It means a lot to help businesses small and large to help get to their goal - we love helping merchants succeed. Feedback like this is important to help improve the employee environment. Shopify does make sure to consistently review salaries and assess roles within the company to assure that salaries are competitive and are meeting today’s market. If you are finding that your salary is not meeting expectations, be sure to reach out to your lead or HR person for more information. Again, thank you for taking time to share your feedback!

6. 5.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Great summer job

Jan 22, 2021 - Junior Support Advisor in Toronto, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

Amazing culture, great to be able to work from home, learned a lot!

Cons

Steep learning curve and long training program - however, this was beneficial in the long run

Be the first to find this review helpful
    7. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Futuristic company

Jan 16, 2021 - Support Advisor in Vancouver, BC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Work from home. Very supportive culture with promotes learning and development

Cons

No cons in my experience.

Be the first to find this review helpful
    8. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Systematic Problems

Jul 22, 2020 - Customer Success Guru in Toronto, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

The people are amazing Working from home offers flexibility The benefits package is impressive You'll learn more than you ever thought possible

Cons

Working from home can be isolating Being remote means you don't get paid as much as someone working in the office (and they don't keep up with cost of living - hope you like making the same salary for 5 years straight) When perks are given company-wide, Support is usually excluded, or given a watered-down version Perks don't pay the bills, but are included when they evaluate your compensation and tell you it's "on par with industry standard" Growth outside of Support is all but impossible. Success stories exist but are maybe 1% Chokehold on scheduling - good luck trying to take a vacation or even take a pee break when you need it Decision makers are far removed from the front line. The Shopify they talk about publicly doesn't exist. Major changes happen daily. Support lives in chaos. Huge decisions are made and then walked back within hours You're expected to keep track of changes but given no time to do so Management's perception of what the job is vs the reality of what it actually is differ appallingly No metrics for success, no consistency in evaluation. Raises based on "impact", but "impact" is undefined and raises are so rare that most people think assume don't exist. Leadership with minimal training, human resources issues abound and don't get handled appropriately Gaslighting happens everywhere - you'll be told there's no issue and everything is fine, even as you're struggling to stay afloat Senior/Executive management is 90 + % white and male. No interest in differing perspectives or changing status quo at the top. Support workers are expendable

24 people found this review helpful

Social Care

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us, and we're sorry that you didn't have the experience we hope to give every Shopify employee. We work hard to create an environment where everyone belongs and we need difficult conversations like this to make sure we embody our value of thriving on change. You're right that Shopify is a demanding environment, and that the expectations are high. While we do our best to provide competitive wages and benefits, we also need to know where we fall short. Like you mentioned in your review, changes happen all the time, and we're committed to changing for the better. We want to always reflect the world we all live in and will continue to show our commitment to this as we continue to grow and shift.

9. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Fantastic company

Jun 10, 2020 - Theme Specialist in Victoria, BC
      Business Outlook

Pros

You work from home. The commute is amazing The benefits package is great, and you get it on Employment Day 1 (for full time employees). Leadership is always learning and growing with their employees. They don't always get it right, but they're willing to learn from their mistakes.

Cons

Entry level (Guru) is an incredibly stressful job. It will take all of your spoons. Progressing in the company is not as easy as it used to be (because the company is so much bigger). Our racial diversity needs a lot of work.

Social Care

Hey, thank you so much for leaving a review! Our perks and benefits package is something we’re proud to offer our employees as soon as they start; what better way to hit the ground running! You’ve mentioned you’ve been here for more than 3 years, so I’m sure you’re used to hearing these values: thrive on change and be a constant learner. These values are something we look for in employees but also ask from our leadership team. This means that if current processes or workflows are not working, they will be re-evaluated and adapted to fit the current needs. This is a company made up of talented and creative individuals, so everyone’s feedback must be heard so we can create the best working environment! Career opportunities in the past were sometimes difficult to identify or find, which is also feedback we have acted upon. Our internal support team has worked together to create internal support pages that show all employees a clear and easy way they can progress in their Shopify careers. The Career Pathing Guide will show you where you currently are, where you’d like to go, and how you can get there! This means there is a huge amount of transparency around how to progress to different roles. I’d also like to touch on your final point: racial diversity. Racial diversity is an organizational imperative at Shopify and we have launched several different initiatives to both increase diversity and foster a greater sense of belonging. We have Employer Resource Groups, which are groups of employees that form based on a shared identity like race and ethnicity, gender, abilities, or sexual orientation, and help elevate the voices and experiences of their respective communities. Belonging Connectors, who are a diverse group of volunteers whose aim is to be a confidential resource for their fellow Shopify employees (during tough situations and learning moments) while supporting the work of the Diversity & Belonging team. If you get the chance, I’d recommend checking out the Belonging and Diversity section in our internal pages to see the full range of initiatives! I find the ‘Real Talk’ panel discussions to be the most engaging, as it is a space for Shopifolk to deepen their empathy by listening to others in an open discussion. Thank you again for leaving a review and allowing us a space to discuss the topics you’ve raised!

10. 5.0

Best company ever

Mar 23, 2020 - Customer Success Guru
      Business Outlook

Pros

After several bad experiences with corporates businesses, Shopify has showed me a light at the end of the tunnel. First of all, they treat you like a human being and as a person, and if you have any issues in your private life they will help you out as much as they can. And in Shopify you're supporting merchants as a Guru where they have an online store, and if they run into any issues or you're helping them out with any advice that you can give them. After one year of tenure with Shopify I still can't believe how they treat their employees. Everyone is so caring and everyone helps you out as much as they can. And trust me when I say that you're not a number here. I spoke with some CEO's and Directors and they're normal people like us, they'll listen to you and they will take your feedback very very seriously. Pros: 1. Working from home - I never thought that working from home will be so fun and relaxing. After spending 5 hours a day on commute on previous job, working from home came as God given! More time with family and kids, drastic saving either on public transport or on car fuel and no more spending €10-15 on lunch in cantina. 2. Amazing colleagues and Team Managers - These people will give their hearts out to help you out, and no backstabbing! 3. Perks and benefits - Every year you get a significant amount of € bonus (trust me when I say significant) to expense it as you want it. - Fully covered private health care and full paid by Shopify - 20 days of holidays and 10 personal days (call it sick days but they aren't) so technically you have 30 working days of leave. 4. Professional development - If you want to learn more about your job or if you think that an online course or a book will help you out, Shopify will cover the expenses. 5. Loads of training each week that you get allocated outside of live channels or Professional Development time too. 6. Salary - Salary is amazing when comparing same role with Apple. I'm not going to mention Amazon as they are paying peanuts compared to Shopify and they don't brainwash you like the others. Just to add, this isn't a manager review, I'm a Guru here in Ireland and my family means everything to me! I used to commute 5 hours a day before Shopify to bring bread in our house, my little kids didn't even see me, in morning when I would leave nor in evening when I would come back home. My relationship with my children has drastically improved because I'm working from home and you're always there for them if anything happens! I know that some other reviewers will complain about Social life balance because we're working from home. If someone isn't capable of going out to a pub or to call their friend to meet up after they finish their shift then something is really wrong with these people. And I've been super productive while working from home, no dress code...nothing. No 50-100 other people around me laughing, talking, coughing, sneezing, creating distraction which would distract you. So yes, this is a place for me to stay!

Cons

Handling 3 chats at the same time can be daunting!

5 people found this review helpful

Shopify Representative

Hey! Thank you for taking the time to leave such thorough and helpful feedback. It’s heartwarming to hear how positive your experience has been overall since you joined Shopify. It’s particularly great to know you feel heard and you feel everyone is approachable and caring, even at the executive level. I’m glad you see working from home as a positive and you’re achieving a better work/life balance and getting more family time since joining Shopify. That is important for sure. The Talent team at Shopify work hard to continually review our perks and benefits to ensure we remain competitive and employees can tailor their package to their lifestyle. They will appreciate your great feedback here. Support Leadership have been asked in the past why gurus are handling 3 chats at once. The research they have done indicates this is the best way to handle the volume of chats we get, especially since there is often a delay in one merchant responding. Being able to handle other chats while you wait on them coming back tends to be more efficient. That being said, I will certainly send this feedback on for you as I know they are constantly reviewing our processes. I hope you’ve also discussed it with your lead. They are likely to have suggestions on managing this. Another thing I find helpful is discussing this in a meeting with the rest of your squad. Everyone has different techniques on how they handle their chats so brainstorming together can be helpful in coming up with new ideas on how best to manage your workflow. Again, thank you for your thoughtful feedback!

Viewing 1 - 10 of 67 Reviews