KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Shopify

Engaged Employer

Shopify

Add a Review

Shopify Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated Jan 22, 2021

Found 45 of over 1,092 reviews

4.3
Shopify CEO Tobias Lütke
Tobias Lütke
Pros
  • "Flexible work hours and good work from home support(in 67 reviews)

• "Get to work from home, great benefits(in 47 reviews)

• Cons
  • "The experiences that gurus have seems to be very different from that of RnD/ other disciplines(in 28 reviews)

• "Higher ups preach "work/life harmony" (work/life balance) but you'll get side eye if you try to leave the office before 5 on a Friday(in 18 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Shopify and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Amazing place to work

May 2, 2020 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Fantastic culture, product, colleagues and work/life balance. Amazing developer tooling. Fast paced and exciting place to work. Almost no politics, laid back atmosphere, lots of learning opportunities.

Cons

The food in the San Francisco office isn’t as good as other offices. Other than that I can’t really think of any.

Social Care

Thanks for leaving such a kind review! It's really heartwarming to hear how much you enjoy your time here. Our aim is to build a company where everyone has the potential to have a positive impact on our business, from our products to our technology to our people. Thank you for being a part of that! Grabbing those learning opportunities you find and using them to grow is so important; being a constant learner is something Shopify values greatly. Which I'm sure is something you know well at this stage, 3 years is a long time! Thanks again for taking the time to leave a review, here's to many more years with us.

2. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Amazing company to work for

Dec 30, 2020 - Support Advisor in Vilnius
      Business Outlook

Pros

As an employer, Shopify almost has it all. You'll get to work with really the best professionals (and people!) in their field, friendly and open by default internally company culture. You'll get to work with various exciting and industry leading products on a mission which makes the world a better place. For all of this you will get a competitive salary, amazing benefits and perks, stock options. No question, one of the best companies to work for. The support advisor role is not your usual monotonous role - you'll be talking with entrepreneurs every day, helping them to build and run their businesses so every day you get to learn something new not only about Shopify itself but also about running an online store. A specific time in your Support Advisor work day will be dedicated to working on your own initiatives and projects. Shopify is fairly flexible and really does have a great work-life balance. However, no matter in which city or role you're working, it is expected that your performance will improve every year, there is no slacking off. In Shopify, people seriously come to work & get things done.

Cons

As of 2020 Shopify is all digital by default which means that everyone is working from home. For some it might be a con. Also, career opportunities are limited for those in support. However, with Shopify becoming a remote company when physical locations and timezones don't matter as much, this might be changing in the future.

Support Specialist

Hello! Thanks so much for taking the time to submit such a thoughtful review. It's fantastic to hear that you've had such a positive experience all around. As a Support Advisor, no two days are the same which always keeps things interesting and engaging. Shopify does lean heavily into the work-life balance and this really helped support the decision to move to Digital by Default. Defaulting to digital means that a significant number of our people have moved to work from home, likely permanently. One of the benefits of Defaulting to Digital is being able to continue to seek and hire the best talent around the globe, unconstrained by physical locations. You're absolutely right that this is the groundwork of change for the future. I would like to mention that support careers aren't limited and the room for growth remains the same, if not more accessible now. Thanks again for your thoughts! Wishing you all the best for 2021 and beyond.

3. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Good intentions don't always filter down

Dec 11, 2020 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Decent benefits, lots of opportunities to learn and expand your skillset, good work-life balance encouraged, company does seem to take on board feedback from employees

Cons

Few opportunities to progress outside of Canada, you can be labelled as 'difficult' for not drinking the company kool-aid, at lower levels managers are not trained to deal with sexist and/or racist comments or employees and those people are let continue as is. Front line support staff are treated at times as disposable, senior management seems to be aware of issues with support staff working through a third party not being trained properly and seems unwilling to do anything about it. Criticism of senior staff does not seem to be taken well on public slack channels - notably when BIPOC pointed out racist undertones of a particular project.

3 people found this review helpful

Social Care

Hello there, Thank you for taking time to share your experience. As you mentioned in your review, we really do take employee feedback on board and we appreciate you sharing candidly. As a Canadian company, many of our career opportunities are located within Canada. As we grow as a remote organization, we are working towards a larger presence globally, which will mean more career opportunities. Internal career progression is something we strongly encourage. We’ve put a strong focus on this over the past year, especially within Support, through career pathing initiatives. When it comes to management, we are always looking for ways to strengthen and improve our leadership, and have processes in place to make all voices heard. Shopify does not condone behaviour that goes against our code of conduct and will investigate thoroughly if any claims are brought to our attention. Please know that if anyone has an experience that violates this code of conduct and feels their lead isn’t taking the issue seriously, there is additional support they can access through their HR Business Partner. While we believe deeply in our mission and values, we welcome diverse perspectives and don’t want anyone at Shopify to feel they’re being seen as “difficult.” We invest deeply in our people and want them to feel valued. I’m sorry we missed the mark with your experience and welcome further feedback. Again, thank you for sharing.

4. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Amazing company. Amazing people. Amazing experience.

Sep 3, 2020 - Support Advisor in Toronto, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

As the headline says, working here all around is in another reality – absolutely beneficial in every single way to ones' wellbeing, career pathing and aspirations, income need, productivity needs, and more.

Cons

For this role specifically – if you're easily phased by difficult interactions, this isn't for you – however if you can stick it out by seeing it as a stepping stone through to career pathing (and more) will lend major cred and confidence to your professional (and life) resume, goals, and aspirations. Another thing I will say (unrelated to the above) is you can get swallowed up in Shopify's great culture and community – not a detriment to working here whatsoever; again, a great opportunity for personal development with regard to strengthening personal boundaries for work-life balance (...a serious must!)

Support Specialist

Hello! Thanks so much for taking the time to write and submit your review. Working at Shopify really is a unique experience. I want to acknowledge what you said about the role as a stepping stone, but also recognize that some employees absolutely love, thrive, and grow in the role long term. One of the great things about Shopify is that there are no parameters around growth and you are encouraged to pace yourself in your role and in your growth as it suits you and regardless of how fast or slow you progress, it’s always an opportunity for personal development and strength building. Thanks again for your feedback.

5. 3.0
      Former Employee

hard to grow, good perks

Jan 7, 2021 - Software Developer
      Business Outlook

Pros

great perks (gifts, salaries, events) and work life balance - can log off after 5pm

Cons

Not the best place to grow. measuring your success more based on output rather than solving problems. Things are all over the place, projects don't even have PMs, and the projects you're working on could even get scrapped. Too many changes within the org hard to keep track of. Sucks that all your growth is dependent on your lead, if you get a mean lead, good luck getting a promotion. not much diversity. Could get stuck fixing accessibility issues all day.

5 people found this review helpful
    6. 5.0

Amazing

Jan 22, 2021 - Software Developer
      Business Outlook

Pros

People are nice, smart, humble Amazing salary, perks, allowances and health benefits Work life balance is superb

Cons

Too many changes in the team structures Things can be a little slow sometimes

7. 5.0

Great place to work

Jan 11, 2021 - Customer Service Representative in Galway
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great atmosphere and work/life balance

Cons

Remote working can be tough if you aren't used to it

8. 3.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Democratic, meritocratic, but too big and "too cool"

Aug 26, 2020 - Senior Product Designer in Singapore
      Business Outlook

Pros

It's a highly democratic system where everybody (at least in a Trifecta system - UX, product, engineering) has an equal say and is expected to have a say. It's also based on meritocracy where everyone advances based on their contribution and is absolutely attributed to it. Work-life balance and compensations are top-notch, though.

Cons

It's had a hiring surge for the last few years and it can feel like a small fish in the pond. Processes and bureaucracy can get in the way - although not as bad as corporations. The culture of building a strong case (and writing down docs) even for the smallest decision is good but sometimes becomes a nuisance. It's also become a "cool kids" club where everybody feels they are super good and super entitled "to be here at Shopify". I had my manager say "There's a lot of candidates who applied for your position." and a coworker say "I went through 10-11 interviews to get here."

3 people found this review helpful

Support Specialist

Hi there. Thank you for taking the time to submit a review, your honesty is appreciated. Notably, due to Shopify’s rapid growth, primarily in the months leading up to BFCM, it becomes necessary to grow our teams in order to meet the support demand. It’s true that the positions at Shopify are highly sought after and due to the extremely high number of applicants, our hiring process has to be very comprehensive. It’s not unheard of for candidates to submit applications several times before progressing to an interview. I believe you’ll find that employees tend to exhibit not an entitlement, but rather pride in their work and time with Shopify. Thanks again for your feedback.

9. 5.0
      Former Employee

Thinking about going back

Dec 13, 2020 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great work/life balance, and solid team

Cons

Too bad everyone's remote now.

Social Care

Hello, there! Thank you for sharing your experience. We are so happy to hear you had found a way to balance your life at work and home. Finding a way to define both environments is so beneficial to your every-day at Shopify. Our offices were an amazing addition to the Shopify workplace, but by going digital we will be able to take advantage of all the perks of working from home. Reaching out to your lead or management team is always the best way to go if you are feeling too isolated or you’re finding working remote too challenging. Again, thank you for your feedback. Feedback like this is always appreciated!

10. 5.0
      Current Employee

No comment

Dec 4, 2020 - Senior Researcher in Ottawa, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

food, flexible, work life balance

Cons

busy, long hours, ambiguity, fast

Social Care

Hello, there! Thank you for sharing. It sounds like you’ve had a positive experience working with Shopify so far. That’s great to hear! It’s so important to have a stable work-life balance and a perk if you get to enjoy great food and a flexible work environment as well. If you’re finding that your workload seems to be too much, then I would recommend reaching out to your lead to inquire about work expectations and how to adjust your workflow. Reflecting on the situation you’re in with others can offer different view points and help guide you down the right path. Thank you again for sharing your feedback.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 45 Reviews