Shopko Stores Customer Service Specialist Reviews | Glassdoor

Customer Service Specialist

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Julian Day

Pros
Cons
  • tough to switch shifts, low pay (in 39 reviews)

• Work life balance can be difficult (in 10 reviews)

1. "Customer service specialist"

Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Kennewick, WA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Kennewick, WA

Pros

Great company to work for. Was hired on from seasonal employee to part time (30hrs/wk) the. Promoted to Customer Service Desk a month in. Got a decent raise and was paid around $3 above min. They're very good about giving breaks and lunches on time. Co-workers are friendly and made some good connections.

Cons

Some co-workers were outrageously obnoxious and had been there a long time. They knew how to take advantage and did so with management knowing full well but doing nothing about it. Customers of Shopko are cranky old people with lots of complaints and needing lots of assistance which made for a headache of a work day. No room to move up in the company, or if there is chances are slim to none. Quite a high turnover rate as far as cashiers and floor personnel goes.

Advice to Management

Keep an eye on moody service desk employees and actually do something to check their attitudes at the door.

"Customer Service Specailist"

Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Dixon, IL
    Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Dixon, IL

I worked at Shopko Stores part-time

Pros

The experience that it gave me.

Cons

Not really a team atmosphere, only trained for a few days then was on my own, management thinks you should know everything and refers you to books instead of helping you with the situation, they make you look through a bunch of books for answers while customers are getting angry because they are waiting. When you go out of your way you are not recognized unless you are a favorite. People get away with picking out what days they want off all the time if you're their favorite. It's also hard to move up unless you are in good and in the boys club.

Advice to Management

Learn the different roles in your business. Treat employees with more respect. Quit having attitudes with certain employees 90% of the time when they are looking for help. Train employees longer than a few days. When someone wants to move up in the company they should take the time to go over with them what the employee needs to learn and what they can do to make it to that level. When someone is training I don't think its right for another manager to refuse to help the employee learn let alone threaten a write-up. One manager is completely understanding and willing to help, the other two act like you're a hassle to them very poor attitudes.

3. "Customer Service Specialist"

Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Mitchell, SD
    Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Mitchell, SD

I worked at Shopko Stores part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent, competent management staff open to collaborative ideas from team members. Opportunity to work in multiple department on an as needed basis. Collaborative, team environment with mostly really nice people. 15% employee discount. 401K. Optional vision and dental insurace + health savings plan. For someone just starting out, ShopKo is an excellent environment to understand the innerworkings of a healthy, retail, work environment.

Cons

Pay is terrible - or typically American, depending on your choice of words. Room to grow is minimal and only upper management can really make a living wage. I took the job temorarily but the reality of it is, if I worked 40 hours every week I could only barely pay my rent and nothing else. If it weren't for that, I would probably be there until I died.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what your doing!! *** ADVICE TO OWNERS: You loose great, qualified, professional people to your trickle down economics theory of pay.

4. "Customer Service Specialist"

Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Beloit, WI
    Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Beloit, WI

I worked at Shopko Stores part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I loved my job! Very fast paced. Fun. I helped train new employees. Helped closed the store at night.

Cons

Sometimes very stressful because you were also watching cashiers to see if they needed anything. When customers were waiting too long, they would understandably be upset.

Advice to Management

Help out those in college. They wouldn't let me move more up in the company because my hours were limited due to schooling.

5. "Great Company!"

Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Kingsford, MI
    Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Kingsford, MI

I have been working at Shopko Stores part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great company to work for! Has amazing benefits, even for part time employees! Fun atmosphere!

Cons

Recommend cross training employees, so we can help in all areas if needed.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

6. "Company with Potential"

Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Lincoln, NE

I have been working at Shopko Stores full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company is growing strong.

Cons

They hire new people at decent pay but don't increase tenured employees salary.

Advice to Management

Pay your good employees what they are worth.

7. "Customer Service Specialist"

Former Employee - Senior Customer Service Specialist in Eau Claire, WI
    Former Employee - Senior Customer Service Specialist in Eau Claire, WI

I worked at Shopko Stores (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible Hours, and its a great college job!

Cons

Low pay, no holiday pay, and no benefits for part time.

Advice to Management

Make being employed by ShopKo fun!

"Bad management, unfair pay, easy work"

Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Sussex, WI
    Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Sussex, WI

I worked at Shopko Stores part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Workload was easy, however the management was incompetent and usually didn't know what was going on on the salesfloor because they wouldn't leave their offices.

Cons

Unfair pay. I started at 8.05 as a Customer Service Specialist, worked for 2.5 years, never got a raise, and people without experience in the customer service field or in general would start at as high as 11/hour.

Advice to Management

Be fair to your employees, and actually help on the floor so you know how to better manage your store.

9. "Customer Service Specialist"

Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Madison, WI

Pros

Oversee all of the cashiers, in charge of breaks and lunches, did much more than just checking people out

Cons

Strict policies on returning, a lot of customers got upset

Advice to Management

More salespeople on the floor so that cashiers don't have to do their own price checks

10. "What happened to taking care of your emplyees?"

Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Lincoln, NE

I have been working at Shopko Stores part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I love the people I work with, but not so much the people I work for. Most customers are friendly so that helps. I am allowed to use my own judgement on most things and I usually don't get in trouble for it.

Cons

Pay raises are extremely minimal or non-existent. Part time employees work full time hours without the benefits. Managers treat you like a child and refuse to work with availability changes unless you are a student or parent. Managers often don't back up policies that employees try to hold firm to.

Advice to Management

Take care of your employees. Good people don't stick around if you walk all over them. Remember not everyone can be 110% everyday.