Shopko Stores Reviews | Glassdoor

Shopko Stores Chief Executive Officer Russ Steinhorst
Russ Steinhorst

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Low pay (I've been working here for almost 2 years and I make the same as new hires)" (in 54 reviews)

• "I do not think minimum wage is fair for the amount of work I do" (in 24 reviews)

"Good atmosphere"

I have been working at Shopko Stores part-time

Pros

Shopko is full of friendly teammates with outstanding superiors and kind customers and in my personal experience my manager is so kind and easy to talk to which makes this a great environment to work in. My manager most definitely puts his customer service above all else which is a really great change of pace.

Cons

Personally, the only con that I have come across is that during the holidays we hire so many people that people start getting their hours cut significantly.

2. "Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, MN

I worked at Shopko Stores full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This was a great place to work.

Cons

There were no cons for the company.

3. "Good Starting Job"

Current Employee - General Merchandise Freight Teammate in Ashwaubenon, WI
    Current Employee - General Merchandise Freight Teammate in Ashwaubenon, WI

I have been working at Shopko Stores part-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Good Management: All of the managers are nice and easy to work with
    -Flexible Hours: The store is willing to work around an employees personal schedule most of the time.
    -Community Involvement: The company is very community oriented and supports different charities and such

Cons

-Low Wages: Been working for 2 years and make less than new and seasonal workers)
    -Random Scheduling: Work week starts on Sundays, but the schedules don't come out until Thursdays (or Fridays)

Advice to Management

Competitive and fair wages. Enticing new workers with higher pay undermines employees that worked there longer. Also, add more days into the work schedule. That way we can adjust better to it and both plan ahead and make adjustments sooner.

"Don't waste your time!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ashwaubenon, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ashwaubenon, WI

I have been working at Shopko Stores part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Managers are friendly, and there are a bunch of people you can hate the job with!

Cons

-Low pay. At my last job I made $0.25 less than what I am making now more than 2 years later. And I got that just recently. It's a slap in the face when new hires are getting paid $0.25 to sometimes $0.75 more than you, and it's their first job. You get treated like dirt for staying with them long enough. You are worthless, you are expendable.

-Boring. Boooooooring. You do exactly the same thing over and over again each and every weekend you come in, and most of the time the same section during the week. You will get bored to tears by how much you do the same task over and over again. No matter what job you have, it never changes.

-Inability to keep employees. We're always in a shortage of people, especially if you're a cashier. If you don't sell enough of those stupid protection plans, you get your hours cut in half.

-Did I mention low pay?

-Customers, sometimes they can be a pain. While that is to be expected, it can get to be a little too much sometimes. The kids are the worst, older and younger. The older ones like to smash milk jugs on the floor, and the young ones like to scream. Parents don't do anything about it, and I really mean that. In the time I've been working there, there have been 3 milk jugs smashed. 3 times, count them, 3 seperate times where people have defecated on the bathroom floors. 2 of those times have been in the Women's bathroom. Disgusting.

-Employees are not given the pay they deserve. You can be working there 10, 20 years and still make around the same garbage pay you do now. You can hold down one separate section of the store for almost a decade and still make as much as new hires. Horrible, horrible, horrible.

They don't deserve any good employees if this is the way they treat them. Would it KILL you to pay us a little more with how expensive everything we sell in the store is? But it doesn't matter, employees are expendable. And as long as suckers come in to pay for these high prices, they'll stay in business.

As long as there is at least one employee working there, they will stay open.

Oh and holiday pay? Forget about it, not worth it at all. You get maybe $1 to $2 an hour, if even that. DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME

Advice to Management

Really think about it, do you want people to work for you? Yes? Then treat them better.

5. "Customer Service Specialist"

I have been working at Shopko Stores part-time

Pros

Fun place to work and with great co-workers. Flexible hours

Cons

Low pay and work most holidays

6. "Think long and hard."

Current Employee - Senior Certified Pharmacy Technician in Ely, MN
    Current Employee - Senior Certified Pharmacy Technician in Ely, MN

I have been working at Shopko Stores full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

good incentive pay raises. With my boss I have a great work life balance ..

Cons

Human resources is very very hard to deal with will not respond to you unless your presistant and they are not polite , benefits are very expensive.. Very hard to get upper office management to respond to you. 32 hours a week is considered full time , Closing multiple stores so you don't know of your next or will have a job

Advice to Management

Improve Human Resources , make benefits affordable , and streamline office management

7. "Pay sucked but it was a good job"

Former Employee - Apparel Sales Associate in Mason City, IA
    Former Employee - Apparel Sales Associate in Mason City, IA

I worked at Shopko Stores part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Coworkers were great, it was easy, management was nice, and they worked with your schedule.

Cons

The pay was only $8/hr, it could be kind of boring sometimes

"Director"

Former Employee - Director in Green Bay, WI
    Former Employee - Director in Green Bay, WI

I worked at Shopko Stores full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great team members and dedicated staff

Cons

No direction, no forward thinking leaders

9. "Acquisition Management"

Pros

The work was challenging and I was able to work in support of Soldiers.

Cons

Trying to balance customer needs with available resources

10. "Follow through"

I have been working at Shopko Stores full-time

Pros

Can be nimble with enough executive approval

Cons

Organization is too top heavy

Advice to Management

Stick to your plan and follow through on promises