Shoplet.com Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.3
Tony Ellison

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • This is a great place to get hands on experience on how to run an Ecom business from managing multiple websites, order entry, to business negotiations (in 9 reviews)

• Good place to start a sales career and learn about ecommerce (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • The product is poor, the business is poor, there's no room for growth, no one cares about you, and the only people making any money are C-level (in 6 reviews)

• Upper management have an attitude as if your a burden when you ask for help (in 6 reviews)

"Learn to be your best"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Shoplet.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have been at shoplet for approximately 4 years. This is a great place to get hands on experience on how to run an Ecom business from managing multiple websites, order entry, to business negotiations. There is nothing that you will not have access to and input on when it comes to eCommerce marketing, design, and web management. You are also able to have daily conversations with the senior management team and CEO. If you are interested in running a successful Ecommerce platform and the ability to put your ideas into action. Shoplet is the place for your next job.

Cons

Not a lot of management layers so you have to be able to communicate effectively with senior management team

"Unbelievable something this bad can exist!"

Former Employee - Account Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Account Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Shoplet.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very nice and talented co-workers in sales. Way too good to be working there.

Cons

I don't know where to begin but this is a partial list:

You must sit in a cramped space for a 9 hour day that is so packed in you literally can't move without banging into somebody.

The system is firewalled so you can't view the internet like you are in a prison or something. The system is so appallingly bad and has so many glitches it would have been horrible even in the mid 90's. The posterchild of bad legacy systems that were never changed. I could tell you stories but you'd think I was making it up.

It gets so hot and is so unventilated sometimes it is literally so bad it's like being in a Sauna. Then they want you to enthusiastically talk to 40 people a day in this environment.

Despite what they say these are not warm leads. You have to sort through 20 of uncle Jeb buying a pillow or aunt Maybelle buying a colostomy bag to get to any business accounts and those you reach are terrible; then they micromanage the sales process and pitch so much they expect you to treat Sal's garage the same way you would treat Chase Bank or something. Part of sales is knowing what is a valid revenue generating opportunity and what is a massive waste of time, and essentially the whole job is a massive waste of time because IT IS AN E-COMMERCE PLATFORM and doesn't even need sales people. People want to go on the site, buy what they need and be done. Nobody wants people calling and bothering them on the phone, no matter how nice or what good sales people they are.
    Also be forewarned: they monitor and record you on the phone. They don't tell you this, and it's not something done unless in the worst call centers.

If I hadn't badly needed the money I would have quit after 3 days. I ended up staying about a month and was let go 2 days after the Mangaer sent me an e-mail telling me what a good job I was doing. If you have ever worked at a real company or done sales in a coherent way say away. Even if you're you and this is your first job, companies are not supposed to work like this. It's not normal.

Advice to Management

If you think salespeople are necessary, which they aren't for your service, at least create or upgrade your system so that everything isn't a triplicate or quadruplication of effort and is the worst kind of administrative busy work, and let them sell! This system would have been a joke even in the mid 90's and no one who has done sales for a real company would take it seriously.

"Customer Service Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Shoplet.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are none so I'll use this for cons ... no respect for employees they don't care about anything but money

Cons

Everything about the company is one big CON I worked there for almost years and was replaced while I was on vacation to prove a point

Advice to Management

This is the worst company that I have ever worked for stop treating Customer Service like work slaves and actullay appreciate them. And stop doing iilegal things

"Good Company to start your sales career"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in New York, NY

I worked at Shoplet.com (More than a year)

Pros

Good company to work for! Fun and family like environment, and the co-workers are super helpful. Management really cares about you, and takes direct interest in your career growth.

Cons

Sales isn't for everyone, and it certainly wasn't for me. You must be a self motivator in order to excel at this job!

Advice to Management

Invest more training.

"Great Co-workers"

Former Employee - Marketing Coordinator in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Marketing Coordinator in New York, NY

I worked at Shoplet.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing colleagues are probably the best reason to be here. Wonderful, hardworking people who you'll learn a lot from. Great place to get your legs in e-commerce Sales, Marketing, and Merchandising. As long as you work hard there are predictably scheduled raises. Lunches on Wednesdays and breakfast on Mondays and Fridays.

Cons

Sometimes you can get bogged down with work, especially during busy seasons. Where roles overlap, especially across departments, there's a chance that you'll be doing work that isn't exactly in your role. This can be great to learn, but sometimes takes away from bigger picture things you want to do. Fixing larger problems is hardly ever quick or efficient, and is too often bureaucratic.

Advice to Management

Listen more to the employees on the front lines. They know what's working and what's not often better than those at the top. Cut through red tape when it comes to fixing problems that are brought up to you early on before they get worse. Problem-solve preventatively rather than reactively.

"Sales Rep/Account Manager"

Current Employee - Account Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Account Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Shoplet.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Shoplet gives you the chance to learn E-commerce in a small environment. This allows the managers to be more hands on with you in training. All the co-workers here are super friendly and always open to giving a helping hand. There is free breakfast Monday and Friday, and free lunch on Wednesdays. Definitely worth looking into if you are interested in sales. No 100 call minimum days like many sales jobs. Competitive starting base salary.

Cons

Some people find it hard to manager being the sales rep as well as managing the account. Sales is not for everyone.

Advice to Management

Clear understanding of advancement opportunities. Room for growth is somewhat unclear.

"Pandamonium"

Former Employee - Vice President Senior Business Leader in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Vice President Senior Business Leader in New York, NY

I worked at Shoplet.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The initial salary offer was competitive. The work is challenging but for all of the wrong reasons

Cons

The company does not operate in a ethical manner. Unauthorized Product substitutions, illegal business practices, and billing issues rule the business day. The business is run like a investment house. The owner is a former wall street executive

Advice to Management

Get your stuff together

"Wasn't even given a chance!"

I worked at Shoplet.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Can't say for sure. I came in for a first interview, and needed to reschedule my second one. However, the company was completely unwilling to do that, something I've never heard of before.

Cons

After I first applied, it took them 3 months to contact me, so I guess I should've known something was strange right away, but nevertheless, I talked to them, and went in for a first interview. It went great, and we actually scheduled my second interview as the first one was being wrapped up.
    However, an emergency came up the day of my second interview, so I asked if I could reschedule for either the next morning, or perhaps even later the same day, if possible. Imagine my shock when I received a response saying that they were "unable to reschedule"- and that was it. I responded by e-mail, but then decided to also call, because I was very concerned by this response. I was told that it was "company policy not to reschedule interviews" because of the "high number of no-shows". I explained that I was not a 'no-show"; I contacted them almost 3 hours in advance asking to reschedule because of something that was beyond my control. I plead my case, explaining that this was a second interview opportunity, and that if we could just reschedule it for even an hour or so later than the original time that I would be able to make it. The person I spoke with still refused. I politely said that it didn't seem right that I should lose out on this opportunity because of circumstances I couldn't control, but she just said sorry, repeated that it was company policy, and that was it.
    I have never, ever dealt with something like this, or been treated this way by a potential employer. It seems odd to me that if a company was interested enough to set up a second interview that they wouldn't be willing to reschedule within a reasonable amount of time if something came up. Emergencies happen. Interviews sometimes need to be rescheduled. Even if this is their company policy, I still find it shocking that they would be so inflexible and unwilling to make an exception.
    Perhaps they feel that qualified candidates are a dime a dozen. This couldn't be further from the truth, but regardless, I wish them the best of luck in finding one.
    Given the amount of negative reviews here, perhaps they did me a favor. Nevertheless, I still feel very burned, and resentful of the time I wasted.

Advice to Management

Reconsider your inflexible policy! If a potential employee is qualified enough to warrant a second interview, and they notify you that they need to reschedule, where is the harm in working with them, and doing just that?!
    By refusing to do so, not only is the candidate losing out on a job opportunity, but your company is missing out on hiring a potentially outstanding employee!

"Basic Corporate CSR Job"

I worked at Shoplet.com full-time

Pros

Free Food on Weds
    Bagel Fridays

Cons

Closed minded people
    Management needs work
    Uneven task distribution

Advice to Management

Things should not be set in stone, your mentality should be based on always improving the company instead of just leaving good enough alone.

"Honest review ! the good and the bad."

Former Employee - Inside Sales in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Inside Sales in New York, NY

I worked at Shoplet.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

My experience with shoplet was good overall. First and foremost the people there are great. The culture has improved a great deal. The job is easy. Free lunch on Wednesday and free breakfast Monday and Friday. This is a great place for someone getting out of college looking to get experience under there belt or for someone who needs a job till something better comes along. The Managers are cool no micro managing going on. However it obvious that they are trying to figure out there position themselves. But regardless it's good overall. There are bonus incentives as well as company outings. You get commissions almost immediately.

Cons

This is a young company not much maturity from the college graduates. There is no room for growth. The pay is low hard to survive on but the commission helps a little but not much. The average customer service position pays 30k sales position pays 35k. I negotiated and got my pay pushed up a bit more but I believe if you pay good people will stay longer. The commission is horrible. 1% on existing account 2% on new business 5% for promotional business (no one ever gets that). The system for commissions is rigged. You have to attach your self to an account to get paid. After 30 days if they don't buy you get taken off that account. You basically spend half your time checking to see if your still on your accounts. The system is such that it's impossible to make it past a certain amount. It's rigged for the companies benefit. Turnover is huge. Most people quit. When I was there 10 people including the vp that hired me quit. Customer service is horrible they don't know what they are doing. I lost a lot of customers due to this. It's a churn and burn scenario here people come and go.

Advice to Management

Fire everyone in customer service. And hire quality people one by one. You have to pay more ! And stop this rigged commission scam. If someone is bringing on accounts they shouldn't have to worry about getting taken off the account. Bottom line is if you pay better people will work harder for you. The culture has improved tremendously so keep that going.