ShopperTrak Reviews | Glassdoor

3.2
Christopher Ainsley

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Good Company"

Pros

Everyone there is like family. Open door policy. You can always find help when needed.

Cons

If you can't work independently may not be the job for you. Also company has gone through 2 merges within a year...things are changing.

"Downhill since acquisition."

I worked at ShopperTrak (More than a year)

Pros

Work-life balance. Offices hours are 8:30am - 5:30pm.

Cons

It's been a pretty poor transition to the new ownership ShopperTrak. As of Jan 1, 2017, ShopperTrak is officially under the Tyco umbrella, from an internal perspective.

Since the acquisition, ShopperTrak's company culture has been completely drained. No more sponsored happy hours, no more partners and employees holiday parties, no more team outings. People come in and leave. The office has established "office hours" (that are noted and enforced by management) to ensure people are in their seats throughout the day, although some folks work off-hours to fulfill global roles that cover Europe and Asia.

With the acquisition, employees have been paused in their roles with no growth that was promised pre-Tyco, ever happening. Talk of the importance of "talent management" has been stated by the president, but no one is seeing this.

Several key leadership and employees have left and continue to leave. Product development has been at a standstill with not enough headcount to develop, while the integration takes up most of the time. This had made jobs in other functions difficult to execute well on.

With the acquisition, ShopperTrak has gone backwards and continues to do so. What was once a fun place to work is filled with people who are upset, unappreciated and without any direction.

Advice to Management

Invest in and appreciate who you have, and who you want to bring in. There is a reason why so much turnover is happening.

3. "Engineer"

Pros

Decent company and benefits, okay leadership

Cons

Too old school and no ability to innovate

Advice to Management

Trust your workers and overall team

4. "Intern"

Current Employee - Intern in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Intern in Chicago, IL

I have been working at ShopperTrak part-time (More than a year)

Pros

ShopperTrak has an amazing group of employees and they are so helpful when you need anything. I love the work environment!

Cons

I don't have anything bad to say about the company.

ShopperTrak Response

May 24, 2017 – Global HR Business Partner/Leader - ShopperTrak

We're glad you had such a positive experience in our Intern program and we are excited about our 2017 group starting very soon!

"Getting Back on Track"

I have been working at ShopperTrak full-time

Pros

Plenty of good people remain.
    Sanity is returning

Cons

Tyco changed the culture for the worse.

Advice to Management

If Tyco bought ShopperTrak because they liked the business, they should let ShopperTrak do what they did to become successful.

"Avoid this company. It is no longer what it was. Toxic, racist environment after acquisitions."

I worked at ShopperTrak full-time

Pros

Nothing right now. they paid people well last year but to window dress the company to sell.

Cons

The reviews from over a year ago are meaningless because the entire management has changed since then and the culture has been replaced.

Shoppertrak's last 18 months has been built upon lies. They hired a lot of people in 2014 and 2015 supposedly to take the company to the next level, but in reality, they were dressing up the company to sell. They paid the new hires well, but did not have any plans of having them do anything useful other than to be props in their sale.

Tyco bought ShopperTrak in early 2016.

The ShopperTrak CEO came to convince the employees that things will only get better from now and we would have access to Tyco resources and a global market and salesforce. The CPO sold us the same story. The CRO was kind of quiet. While they were selling us a feel-good story, these execs had put their resumes out there and were furiously job hunting. One by one they left, leaving the employees holding the bag of their mismanagement. Obviously, they got a good deal and made a lot of money in the process.
    Tyco execs came to talk to the employees and the President had a townhall about how great things were going to be. In a week, she was let go. The top guy from Tyco who talked to us about "maintaining the DNA of Shoppertrak" suddenly stopped coming to the office and quietly left the company and joined a different place.

Everything turned out to be a resume building exercise for the execs of both sides, and the investors made their exit and the employees of Shoppertrak were left with more worries about their future. Many left one by one.

JCI merged with Tyco which complicated things even more.

Tyco stopped all the pizza parties. They banned beer in the office. The place now resembles a boring and drab government office full of sad looking people.

Politics has sky-rocketed with some incompetent people getting propped up who in turn wanted to secure their position by trying to get rid of people around them turning the office into a toxic place.

Sales people do not know what to sell because Product does not give them the information.

HR is the grumpiest that I have seen at any company and in the last 12 months, 4 out of 5 have left and the top HR exec is leaving and so there are just going to be HR contractors.

Marketing thinks making fancy material is more important than the product.

Technology team is probably the least affected but developers are leaving too. People are disgrunted to do boring meaningless integration work instead of new development that they were promised.

Product is clueless and has no idea of what to do. There is confusion everywhere. One of the leaders who managed the platform never showed up to work and spent company time for job hunting. The other one flies in from out of town, yells at a few people, talks down to others and pretends to be a big shot. In reality this company does not have a product.

The only division that does anything useful is Professional Services.

You will see a lot of company photos on glassdoor with a lot of smiling people there. Almost all of them are gone.

This place is a total disaster. Avoid it like the plague. They recently shut down a Finland office and it looks like this place will close down as well.

Advice to Management

Johnson Controls which owns this place now needs to clean up everything and not rely on a few political people who are still around with agendas.

Sell ShopperTrak to another smaller analytics company as this does not fit in the portfolio. The people who pushed for it are all gone.

"The firm has had 60% of the employees resign in the past 4 months."

Pros

Initially, it had a startup cultural feel. The social outings were entertaining and team building in the beginning. The office location and space at the Willis tower is premier.

Cons

With the secret sudden merger with Tyco International and Johnson Control, there has been a huge flight of great talent. The new leadership team has no clue in experience, education, vision or tactically how to run global operations. The firm has become a joke to their once long term clients. Their annual contracts have dropped by 75% with firms opting for competitors.

Advice to Management

Sell the ST division off to a firm that can handle global analytics.

8. "Solid Internship Program"

Former Employee - Software Engineering Intern in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Software Engineering Intern in Chicago, IL

I worked at ShopperTrak (Less than a year)

Pros

Small Company feel with a global presence, large group of interns over a wide range of positions, as an intern you're really made to feel like you're part of the team you're assigned.

Cons

Sometimes felt as if there were unnecessary weekly meetings that could have been summarized in an email

ShopperTrak Response

May 24, 2017 – Global HR Business Partner/Leader - ShopperTrak

Interns are an important part of our team! We're currently looking forward to our Summer 2017 group starting soon.

"Great on company socials, not so on tech dev culture"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at ShopperTrak full-time

Pros

Company does a great effort in having socials such as golf outings, happy hours, and team building activities.

I was a software developer for two years, and my tenure could be divided into two parts as I had two different team leads. Majority of time I spent working with the startup that Shoppertrak purchased. I learned a ton of new technologies, and was rewarded for solving problems and coming up with creative solutions. The emphasis was on technical prowess, and I was shielded in every way about all things that made me feel like I was working for "the man".

The second part of my tenure was with another group that had a greater focus on agile process and accountability measurements for upper management to track. No great emphasis on tech skills or the best creative solutions for product improvement. In fact there were several specific examples where an inferior technical solution was implemented and nothing could be done because of the heavy handed management styles

Cons

One big event that occurred recently is the Tyco purchase of Shoppertrak. Not sure how that will long term effect the development culture. But in the short term, Shoppertrak lost quite a few people.

Shoppertrak may not be good place for technical savvy - top line developers. As the cost of falling in line with heavy handed management styles + inability to reward technical prowess.

specific examples that I saw
      - I was told to not watch tennis as I developed. ( when a better approach would have been someone to ask, "How can we get more challenging and engaging projects for this developer." )
      - Got a new manager in 2nd tenure. In the "one on one - get to know you meeting" that manager basically gave me a warning as to that "I am fair, but should you cross me.... "
      - Was eventually terminated for uploading AWS keys to development sandbox account. Granted this is a mistake, but it was an unintentional and harmless mistake. This only sounds off to the development team that "If you make a mistake and upper management doesn't like you, you will be fired."

- some other instances that happened post-termination that Shoppertrak HR and upper management acted on that made my life a bit un-pleasant. This includes (a) challenging my unemployment (b) not allowing me to attend an AWS meetup hosted and also lying to the AWS meetup organizers saying that it was a "building security issue"

Advice to Management

read prior "CONS"

"Marketing"

Former Employee - Marketing Intern
    Former Employee - Marketing Intern

Pros

Great location, strong company culture, high inclusion, practical and impactful experience gained. Great hours, flexible and understanding management.

Cons

Transitioning company made approvals difficult, training is limited for interns.