Shopzilla Reviews | Glassdoor

Shopzilla Reviews

Updated November 24, 2016

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Free lunch, opportunity to learn, great culture (in 36 reviews)

• Great people to work with, very knowledgeable (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Their business model is sensitive to how search engines react to industry trends (in 6 reviews)

• The company seemed to have a high turnover of employees (in 4 reviews)

"Great company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Shopzilla full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free lunch
    Casual dress code
    Company is extremely transparent with its workers
    Weekly meetings exhibit exciting new projects

Cons

There are not too many cons right now. Pay can be better of course but they do offer a ton of benefits to offset some of the pay.

Advice to Management

Keep the new products coming. Keep the transparency. We will work hard with a little information from time to time.

"Overall very underwhelming work experience"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Shopzilla full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free lunches and breakfast, nice people and workspace, good young talent.

Cons

Very poor communication between departments, high turnover rate, very little upward movement professionally, and pay is known to be less than comparable to competitors. Reactionary to what industry is doing rather than setting sights on getting ahead of the curve.

Advice to Management

Improve communications between all departments when implementing new platforms and projects. Invest in your employees by giving them room to grow professionally which will help solve the problem of high turnover.

3. "Great job after college however retention of talent is tough at Shopzilla"

Former Employee - Associate Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Associate Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Shopzilla full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- When I was working there we had a great flat culture
    - Great work environment

Cons

- Notoriously low pay
    - Depending on the department, not a ton of room to move around

"Great company so far"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in La Jolla, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in La Jolla, CA

I have been working at Shopzilla full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits.
    Free lunch.
    Laid back. Great work-life balance.
    Friendly people.

Cons

Commute - had I known that I had a two hour round trip commute, I would not have taken the job.
    Lots of legacy code.
    Legacy hardware - I was given a four year old laptop - I'm a Java/J2EE engineer. My personal $650 laptop is like 8 times faster.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work.

"Great opportunity"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Technical management (and management generally) is very supportive of trying new technologies when a good argument can be made for them. Engineering and business have a good cooperative relationship -- I've never felt that engineering concerns fell on deaf ears from the business folks. Because things do move fast at Shopzilla, engineers at Shopzilla, particularly self-motivated ones, get a lot of opportunities to make an impact on the business. In many ways, it's like a start-up in the pace of change, but with greater stability (and already profitable). Perhaps different from a start-up, there's a healthy mix of seasoned employees and new kids on the block.

Additionally, though like all workplaces, Shopzilla has its cliques, you do not need to participate in them to succeed. I have rarely had the time to schmooze with any of my co-workers, I have a life outside of work with its own demands and being down with the "cool kids" in my workplace is the furthest thing from how I want to spend my time, but I've always felt that there are plenty of opportunities here.

Cons

Traffic in West LA sucks. The parking lot is always jam-packed. There is a fair amount of institutional lore that you need to soak up in short order when you start working here. Work is hard, sometimes it makes my brain hurt.

"Shopzilla provides a fun place to work but the ratio of QA to dev is unbalanced which makes the QA workload very high."

Current Employee - QA Engineer in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - QA Engineer in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

*Learn the latest industry trends for QA
    *Learn many new QA technologies and frameworks
    *Fun place to work at times

Cons

*Industry trends implemented are not proven technologies
    *Each team does non-standard QA practices (makes the ramp up time for transitioning from team to team very high)
    *High turnover of employees
    *If you do not have a dev background and don't want to program do not work here
    *Expect QA to be heavy on automation
    *Expect QA to be heavy on development skills (isn't that dev's job?)
    *Very high workload - (8 hour days are unheard of)
    *Food is catered in - (industry trick to get you to take shorter lunches and increase productivity)

Advice to Management

Please standardize the QA across teams so there is one unified way of performing QA. QA productivity would be higher if you separated QA Engineers from QA Automation Engineers. There is just not enough time for a good QA leader to learn years of dev knowledge if the workload and pressure is high.

"Stay away, not worth it."

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Free lunch, free sodas. Good for contractors. Used to be very good place to learn new technology.

Cons

The workload has increased since the company was sold to a private investor a year ago. The new owner is outsourcing the IT organization to India, as much as possible, while business is not growing. The management team is a tight clique. They are caring more about their own rewards and promotions than anything else. For example bonuses are only for management, progressively higher with rank, on top of already higher base pay. But management is also territorial with each other. There is not much collaboration, but more and more politics and blaming. I think the company culture is backward. It favors a top-down hierarchy of the type of " the highest paid person in the room is always right". Not surprisingly the employee turnover is ridiculous, just about everybody is thinking about leaving. The many negative reviews here only show the tip of the iceberg, with the occasional rebuttals by HR or the folks who feel criticized just providing more evidence of the situation. This place is in real trouble!

Advice to Management

Stop putting yourself above the people who are earning your paycheck.

"Executive team + Senior Management => big disappointment"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Good for recent graduates who want to enter and learn in the IT field

Cons

Apart from not being able to survive in the comparison shopping space the company has some serious internal issues:

Executive team and Senior Management are constantly trying to eliminate each other without realizing the effect on the engineers. This culture has always been there at the top level but now it is openly visible to everyone. This creates lot of negative energy within the team.

Executive team is under a constant pressure from STG (parent company) to deliver unrealistic goals. Shopzilla just cares about the monetary goals, doesn't matter if they have to do demotions or layoffs. Executive team blindly follows what STG demands in the fear of getting fired themselves.

As a engineer you will be always under tremendous pressure from the management to keep your job. Your skill set doesn't matter, you have to learn and apply a new technology within 2-3 weeks otherwise you'll be threatened to get fired. Senior Management is just looking for reasons (actually excuses) to fire engineers to hide their incompetence and lack of technical knowledge

While interviewing the management will promise you big in terms of your future with the company but don't get fooled. Significant outsourcing is happening across all the engineering teams. One fine day you can be asked to leave.

Advice to Management

Let go. You should know when you cannot lead and exit

"A Company With a Great Heart and TONS of Opporunity"

Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Shopzilla is a company with a lot of problems to solve and that's a good thing. It has great market share in an area of intense competition (shopping comparison) but it is at the point where the company as a whole needs to come up with innovative solutions and possibly make some large structural changes to the business model. The reason I've placed this in the Pro section is because change like that means there's a huge amount of opportunity for smart hard working people to solve those problems and have a large measurable impact on the bottom line.

I believe that most of the recent negative reviews posted here are from a couple of individuals posting multiple times and should be taken with a grain of salt for multiple reasons:

1. To compete with companies doing the same work at lower costs Shopzilla took several steps including downsizing to smaller development and operations teams, outsourcing low level development and operations tasks to India, and taking on some large infrastructure projects to move on to lower cost technologies. The first two steps have obviously angered some people, but they were necessary steps required of any modern mid-sized software company with strong competition.
    2. With the recent change in ownership came a re-evaluation of priorities, teams were switched around there was restructuring etc. Many people are no longer working on projects and ideas that they had become emotionally invested in. Obviously that makes people grumbly, but the structural changes were necessary and have opened up tons of opportunity for those who are willing to take it.
    3. Most of the project managers at Shopzilla are female, the majority of the engineers and developers are male. There are some engineers and developers who have a very hard time showing respect for the intelligence and contributions of their female project managers and that is a terrible shame (for the sake of transparency, I am male).

The gist of what I'm trying to say is that Shopzilla is a company that has a huge opportunity to grow, and the smart hard working people that show up with enthusiasm and take the company to where it needs to be are going to see great returns on their contributions. What Shopzilla is not, is a place where you show up from 11 to 5 (if you show up at all) eat your free lunch, check in a bit of code, and then collect raises and promotions every year.

All of my Shopzilla coworkers are fun, vibrant, welcoming people. I have never experienced this clique-ness that I see mentioned multiple times, I have never felt socially excluded in any way from any level of the organization nor have I seen coworkers acting clique towards others or excluding anybody. Again I believe that many of the reviews here are from just a couple different former employees who had especially negative experiences (you can kind of tell from the similar usages of terrible grammar and punctuation, and the frequent repetition of the same complaints). Shopzilla is by no means perfect, but it is a great place to work with solid benefits and compensation and I personally am excited about where the company is headed.

Cons

It seems like the senior management team works hard to elicit and respond to feedback from employees, however many of the company wide initiatives seem to emerge from oblique secretive meetings proceeding from conceptualization into implementation in a top-down unilateral manner. While within my own team I feel like I have many opportunities to provide input, ideas, and direction it seems like some employees don't get the same opportunity to influence the larger products that they work on. Like I have said I think there is a huge opportunity for those looking to roll up their sleeves and contribute, but its not entirely obvious where those enthusiastic workers should turn when they have great ideas/solutions.

Advice to Management

Continue working hard to obtain feedback from employees at every level, be up front and transparent about the challenges ahead of us and provide a system to engage your entire talent pool on how to tackle those challenges. Don't let all the haters get you down.

"Not a good place for software engineers"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

free food: breakfast, lunch and snacks
    company events

Cons

Highly incompetent executive and management team
    No direction as to where the organization is heading towards
    Whatever work the engineer will do will be thrown away in 1 month saying that the company does not need it anymore
    Company struggling to survive in the market
    Frequent organizational changes leads to lower the confidence of the employees
    tense environment
    Even the Human Resources department is a big sham. If you have a genuine issue with some manager or executive, the HR department choose not to do anything about it just because the manager/executive has been with the company for a longtime

Advice to Management

No advice. The executives are really incompetent across the entire organization
    The parent company (STG) should really do something about this