ShoreTel Reviews | Glassdoor

ShoreTel Reviews

Updated January 14, 2019

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "No transparency by upper management" (in 14 reviews)

• "Senior leadership refuses to take responsibility for poor vision and misdirection of CLOUD Solution" (in 5 reviews)

1. "Peaceful and Cool place to Work"

Current Employee - QA Tester
    Current Employee - QA Tester

I have been working at ShoreTel full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Laid back style and low pressure work environment. People do not Micromanage and take ownership of their areas of the product. Pay is very Good.
    remote and abundant work from home options. Free food in the office once every two weeks and free break fast and cold drinks. people are co-operative and helpful with peers. Strong Technical Leaders especially for Connect .
    Good Leave Policies.
    Stable job and great work life balance .
    Lots of Room to learn since pressure is less.

Cons

Hikes are not that great.
    Roadmaps are frequently changing.
    Not too Formal when it comes to appraisals.

"Acquisition by Mitel might not do any good to the current employees"

Former Employee - Manager in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at ShoreTel full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free beverage. some snacks and fruits but not every day. Working remotely can be allowed depending on the team. Actually many people work from home on Friday. HR was aware of that and tried to set up some fun events on Friday so that employees would show up in the office. The Sunnyvale office was re-organized, new paints on the wall, new outdoor patio with BBQ but no one would use it.

Cons

Unlimited PTO. People think that this is nice to have but wrong. You are micromanaged plus the company does not have to pay accrued PTO. Team morale low. The cloud-based solution suffers from a lack of stability issues. Many small customers leave after 1-year contract. High churn rate. Many employees are starting to look for another job since their job will be made redundant and eliminated after the merger with Mitel. The HQ in Sunnyvale (Austin and NY and Rochester) might close down and relocate to another state or Toronto.

"Pay attention to the headlines."

I have been working at ShoreTel full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

When I was hired, the company was private- had quite the culture where not only did customers have a voice but the staff did. Once we became public- the objective switched from customer centric to number centric costing revenue loss and employee turn over.

Cons

Number focus- not customer focus. The direction the company is going is not in favor of the overall staff or customer base;. Morale is poor, the attitude among teams is that of defeat.

Raises were non existent this year- RSU's were given to a large amount of staff in lieu of a raise and they are garbage, worth nothing. Internal staff can't move to a new role and expect higher pay- the vacation package changed and any incentive that made working there bearable has been ripped away.

Advice to Management

Be as honest as you can with your direct reports. Don't keep saying 'business as usual' They know better and are preparing to leave.

"Manager"

I have been working at ShoreTel full-time

Pros

Good technology space. Mitel acquisition is good

Cons

No transparency by upper management

"Good People, Good Benefit's, Lots of Communication Issues"

I have been working at ShoreTel full-time

Pros

Unlimited PTO
    Flexible Schedule
    Good work environment
    Good Benefits

Cons

Very poor internal communications.
    Lack of training on new product.
    Different teams do not understand the system which leads to confusion.

Advice to Management

Develop a training system, make sure our sales team understands the product we offer, find I better way to communicate with your employees on changes.

6. "Support"

Current Employee - Facilities
    Current Employee - Facilities

I have been working at ShoreTel full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible, Benefits, Casual, Location, Support

Cons

across the board "rules" the same for everyone

"Average...."

Current Employee - Program Manager in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at ShoreTel full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good heath care insurance & flexible work environment

Cons

too much politics and finger pointing has been a norm. Middle managers have little to no people management skills; it is either their ways or the highways.

"Lots of Rockstars"

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at ShoreTel full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

One of the reasons I have stayed is that this company is full of what I like to call 'Rockstars'. In other companies, there are stellar performers and brilliant problem solvers - but they seem to show up around once every 50-100 employees.

ShoreTel is populated with people like this in all areas of the company - perhaps 1 in 10 or 15. I find that energizing to work around people like this.

Cons

The migration from premise-focused product sales to hosted cloud product has been challenging, often without a clear sense of process flow and realistic expectations. We finally seem to be on a clear path to success and ...we get bought by Mitel. I hope the energy and vision of ShoreTel gets coupled with better execution from Mitel. Time will tell.

"Many Managers, Not Enough Leadership"

I have been working at ShoreTel full-time

Pros

Depending on what department you work in, your coworkers are stellar. Eager to help and extremely cooperative with problems and willing to jump in. Salaried employees have unlimited PTO, which is a huge benefit. Office is STOCKED with free snacks.

Cons

Promotions take eternity - current promotions are being told 60-90 days before they can start.
    Every manager thinks they are YOUR manager. Senior leadership is narrow-sighted and not on the same page with anything.
    Any time we change alignment/structure, everything stops despite us being told to keep doing business as usual.
    We restructured twice in the last 12 months and now are pursuing acquisition by Mitel, who doesn't seem to value their workforce as much as ShoreTel seems to.
    Aforementioned benefits seem to be non-existent under the new company.

Advice to Management

Be transparent with situations involving your employees. Executive Leadership should actually come to other offices and INTERACT with their employees instead of holing up in a conference room. Don't view us as cost centers on a spreadsheet but people who will be severely impacted by your poor decisions. Not all of us are banking on a 6-figure payout when the Mitel deal is done.

10. "Generally a good place to work"

I have been working at ShoreTel full-time

Pros

Unlimited PTO
    Good benefits
    Work from home opportunities
    Company is definitely modernizing and moving forward in a sometimes stagnant industry.

Cons

Like all larger companies, can be slow to change