Short Elliott Hendrickson Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.6
Sam Claassen

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "What it is like to work at SEH"

I have been working at Short Elliott Hendrickson full-time (More than a year)

Pros

SEH promotes a healthy work life balance for all employee owners. It has given me the ability to be a professional and still attend to my family needs. The atmosphere is pretty casual. You never feel as though someone is looking over your shoulder. Everyone comes and goes at different times of the day and that is something that is a norm. You also have the ability to perform your job remotely as needed, which in my case has proven to be a huge benefit. The leaders that I work with have all been very welcoming and willing to help train me in the industry which has been instrumental in me getting up to speed. SEH also offers an employee stock option for all employee owners. I haven't yet seen the payment since it doesn't take affect until you hit your 2nd year of service, but it is truly a great benefit to have and I look forward to taking part in that.

Cons

We do have some people in leadership that don't exhibit leadership model skills, but that is at every company. We do have some great training programs in place internally, that probably are not utilized to the extent they should be for those leaders to improve. One other thing the organization could get better at is holding some of those leaders accountable.

Short Elliott Hendrickson Response

May 17, 2017 – CEO

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of SEH. Work-life balance really is one of the most important attributes of working at SEH. Likewise, the employee stock ownership program is one of... More

"Unless you are a male engineer, look elsewhere."

Former Employee - Proposal Coordinator
    Former Employee - Proposal Coordinator

I worked at Short Elliott Hendrickson full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Most employees are good people

Cons

Company is structured like a caste system. Order of importance is 1) male engineers, 2) male other, 3) female engineers; 4) all other females. Company offers what seem to be great benefits until you read the fine print. The company is run by micromanagers. The company has more rules and regulations than the IRS. Beware.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the loser managers...you know who they are.

Short Elliott Hendrickson Response

May 17, 2017 – CEO

I appreciate your review of SEH. Our employees really are our greatest asset. I would agree that our employees are good people. We strive to make sure SEH is a great work environment for everybody... More

3. "Recent Graduate Civil Engineer"

Former Employee - Graduate Engineer
    Former Employee - Graduate Engineer

I worked at Short Elliott Hendrickson full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I worked out of one of their smaller offices as a recent civil engineering graduate with my EIT. I feel that the starting pay was fair and the benefits were good. They also get a variety of different projects, so the work seemed to stay interesting. Most of the people were friendly, and I was lucky to find a project manager who took me under his wing, and eventually helped me move on to a different company with more opportunity.

Cons

Unfortunately it took me a while to realize that the director of my department was treating me like his secretary. I would draft meeting agendas for him, take notes during his meetings, type up minutes, edit reports, make copies of things... it was very rare for me to do any actual civil engineering design outside of AutoCAD markups. I knew if I stayed there, I wouldn't get the experience I needed to eventually pass my PE exam.

"Senior Engineer"

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Denver, CO

I have been working at Short Elliott Hendrickson full-time

Pros

Most people are great to work with even outside your area of pratice. There are several amazing senior engineers who genuinely care about your development and growth.

Cons

Leadership is a good old boys club and does not treat women equally to their male equivalent counterparts. Extreme nepotism occurs between RPCLs and their direct reports. If you're a woman, there are better places that support you whereas this company will treat you like a woman with outlandish assumptions of women characteristics such as "you're too sensitive" or "why have children if you can't hold a job and take care of them".

The company could be great if they would cut the ties with one regional leader who cannot manage effectively and hopes problems will solve themselves. This translates into more than 50 percent turnover in the last 5 years. And if you're a woman in that region, best of luck.

Advice to Management

Keep up with the times. Simply if one region allows flexible schedules, doesn't mean the company does. People are the working cars of this company train that make the company perform, not necessarily the regional leader. If you want to grow, cut your losses and start on a new improved exciting endeavor of growth and success. It happens and if this regional leader stays, it won't, as history as shown over the last 5 years.

"An Employee-Owned Company Actually "Living" Its Mission"

Current Employee - Sales Operations in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Sales Operations in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Short Elliott Hendrickson full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-SEH is 100% employee-owned, meaning all that comes with the company's success is put back into the company and invested in not only current employees but future employees. SEH is growing rapidly, and current employees are given first opportunity at advancement. While not necessarily true for all professionals today, feeling like your company is looking out for your best interests -- personally and professionally -- is very important. I feel that way with SEH. Employees' voices feel "heard" which is refreshing and encouraging.

-In today's very "corporate" business world, SEH breaks the norm. SEH is innovative in a lot of ways, especially in the engineering services provided to clients. However, the way the company operates has an old school feel. What I mean by this is, while there are reporting measures and such to ensure productivity, employees are trusted to do their jobs. You are treated as an adult, which may sound silly but I think can be understood by a lot of people in the professional world. Productivity is demanded and things move very quickly as work is deadline-driven, but there isn't that "perform NOW or we will fire you immediately"/sink or swim feeling that is rampant throughout many companies. When hired by SEH, you are trusted to do your job, and this trust continues so long as you remain accountable. If you struggle, they seek to help you get better, grow, mature. Training opportunities are offered throughout the year. Employees aren't micromanaged. You're hired because you're good at your job, you're pace is trusted, and you're trusted to do your job to the highest level. If you need to improve, you're encouraged in actionable ways.

-SEH's mission is "Building a Better World for All of Us." It may sound cliche, but this is authenticated in the solutions the company provides to clients/municipalities -- which it had better be authentic because it's also one of SEH's major selling points to clients -- green, sustainability, enduring, cost-efficient, etc. Many companies have similar visions or mission statements, but with SEH you feel like the work you're doing is really contributing to building a better world. This is also represented internally. There are countless initiatives companywide and at individual offices that give employees the chance to build a better world, volunteer, make a difference. The bottom line is so often the one and only thing that matters; it's nice to see and experience a company that prides itself on giving back to the communities it serves as well as the environment.

-Excellent flexibility, whether that's working remotely, taking PTO on short notice, needing to be there for family members, etc. The company is very family friendly and they go out of their way to show this.

-The health benefits are the best I've ever seen, and mostly paid for BY the company. Many companies have resorted to only offering high-deductible health plans with HSAs and the like. SEH gives you the option to choose, as well as significant amounts of money toward comprehensive coverage. As someone born with a chronic illness (asthma) that requires regular checks ups, care and prescriptions, I can't even begin to describe the amount of money I've saved because of the health insurance plan.

-Yearly, formal reviews with structured raise/advancement potential. You know where you stand at all times, and the company is fully transparent about that.

-Employee stock ownership plan (e.g., you can own stock in the company!) and matching 401K.

-Company is growing and expanding. There are offices throughout the Midwest including St. Paul, Madison, Milwaukee, Denver, La Crosse, Appleton, Chippewa Falls, Minnetonka, etc. If you need or want to move, transferring is often encouraged if at all possible.

-Turnover is exceptionally low! SEH employs something like 800 people. Many employees have been here 10 years, 20 years, some even 30-40 years. SEH is a destination company. If you are hired and want it to be your last job/your job "home," it can be and the company tries very hard to give everyone this opportunity.

-Your superiors don't talk down to you or at you, they talk to you. They listen. They have your back. Obviously performance matters and you won't last if you can't do your job, but at SEH you're all on the same team working toward the same goals, and you're put in a position by your immediate supervisors, teammates and the higher ups to succeed.

-I can understand how a review like this might come across as spouting off for the company, mostly because I previously worked at a company that urged employees to write about how great culture and the like were. With SEH though, there just really is no need to pander or to promote because the company practices what it preaches, at every level.

Cons

-Some of the smaller offices feel isolated and secluded from the bigger offices. These smaller offices tend to lack the resources of other, bigger offices as well.

-Communication is a big part of the company, and many people try very hard to make sure communication is open, clear, transparent. But SEH is a big company with about 30 offices. So employees are spread throughout several states. When you're working with teams located in other states and offices, it can be challenging to remain engaged and to feel fully informed if you're not someone who puts in the effort to keep the communication loop open and constant.

-Personally, I love the "old school" feel that SEH brings compared to other very corporate feeling businesses. For younger employees, I can understand how you might not be able to adapt to this kind of environment. If you're new to the working world and kind of a "job hopper" then SEH probably isn't for you.

Advice to Management

SEH is a hidden gem, at least if you're looking to sites like Glassdoor to find out more information about company culture, employee engagement and pay. I think SEH does a fantastic job promoting the company, the employees and the culture across Twitter, LinkedIn and Facebook. But I'm still amazed how few people know of SEH or don't realize until they're employed there just how great the company really is. I would continue to promote the company as a destination for the very best talent, because it is -- SEH is one of the few companies I've either worked at or worked with where I can honestly say everything the company preaches about building a better world, employee-ownership, culture and the like is 100% true.

"Supervisor"

I have been working at Short Elliott Hendrickson full-time

Pros

Good work life balance offered

Cons

Lack of mid-level engineering staff

"Nice place to work"

I have been working at Short Elliott Hendrickson full-time

Pros

It's employee owned and people there treat one another well.Compensation is pretty good.

Cons

Insurance is really expensive. A medium-sized company, so not a ton of opportunity for advancement.

Advice to Management

Pick a direction and go with it. The company believes in growth, but how and where they grow doesn't seem obvious over very deliberate.

"Old Boys' Network"

I worked at Short Elliott Hendrickson full-time

Pros

There are no pros at SEH if you are a woman. Sexism is obvious and rampant top to bottom.

Cons

Being a woman is a con. Their practice is to lay women off while they are on maternity leave or soon after they return.

Advice to Management

Get with the times and respect women and family structures.

"Satellite Offices Orphaned"

Current Employee - Client Service Manager in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Client Service Manager in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Short Elliott Hendrickson full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent salary and benefits. Good clients. Good expertise. Cool office spaces. Freedom to make decisions.

Cons

Satellite offices were second or third tier priorities while I worked there. Resources to complete projects were very difficult to come by tainting many long term relationships that I brought to the firm. My supervisor was six hours away and kept only one out off every four phone appointments I had with him. Despite having a good sales year, i wasn't able to get the respect nor assistance. When I did leave, staff and management acted quite unprofessionally and continue to do so too this day.

Advice to Management

Offices must be treated as peridot centers meaning resources should be assigned to offices not regions.

10. "Project engineer"

Current Employee - Project Engineer in Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - Project Engineer in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at Short Elliott Hendrickson full-time

Pros

Good CEO, progressive management, small company feel with. Stimulating projects, good growth potential. Good exposure

Cons

Data management practices of a small firm, projects are too large for current system

Advice to Management

Commit to growing or stop growing. Provide technology and software to increase efficiency.