Shorter University Reviews | Glassdoor

CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Admissions Counselor"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rome, GA

I worked at Shorter University full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Christ-centered environment. Hometown feel with an amazing community of people. Located in a ideal sized town, not huge. Every office gets to work and develop relationships with students. Ample opportunity to get to know the administration as well as serve the community. Fantastic personal support from your office: All travel expenses were covered by the university, including vehicle, expense credit card, food, and the use of university cell phone/laptop. I received two pay raises during my two-year employment. Because it is a university, great paid vacation time (ie. paid two-weeks + for Christmas) and benefits.

Cons

At the time of my employment there was difficult communication between offices. The university was struggling with finances and not making that known to current employees. Financially they were not making the wisest decisions, which caught some employees off guard when being let go for budget reasons. Unless someone chooses to leave, there is little opportunity for advancement (this is the nature of higher education, must go school to school to advance).

Advice to Management

Improved communication with boots-on-the-ground employees so that they are better informed about the true goings on at the university in order to be prepared when prospective students/parents ask questions. This will prevent being caught off guard with prospective students/parents have heard something about the university before your employees have.

2. "Assistant Professor"

Current Employee - Assistant Professor in Rome, GA
    Current Employee - Assistant Professor in Rome, GA

I have been working at Shorter University full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pros include a flexible schedule and the opportunity to work with students who are dedicated to their studies and of good moral character.

Cons

Cons include employment instability based on diminishing student enrollment and a lack of financial solvency for the institution. Also, the governing body is the Georgia Baptist Convention and their goals and values sometimes seem at odds with what is expected of a modern University.

Advice to Management

Look to models of other, similar institutions and determine how to plot a course to success within your constraints. Solicit and value opposing points of view and promote faculty discourse.

3. "Professor of Marketing"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Shorter University part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good crowd of people to work with, very friendly and Christian.

Cons

Often times the college was very disorganized and staff had no idea what they were doing.

Advice to Management

Merge with another USG college.

4. "Staff"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rome, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rome, GA

Pros

Great place to work. Family atmosphere. Really cares about students and helping them succeed.

Cons

Can not think of anything

Advice to Management

Need more communication from administration

5. "CHANGE IS NEEDED"

Former Employee - Office in Rome, GA
    Former Employee - Office in Rome, GA

I worked at Shorter University full-time

Pros

Not being unemployed, health insurance, some good workmates. Working there showed me all the things to avoid

in a future workplace. All the red flags. The frustration there led me to find a better job. Nothing else, there are just NO pros if you want upward mobility, no raises. Would NOT recommend to anyone unless extremely desperate!!!!!

Cons

It will be easier for a camel to get through the eye of a needle than for that bunch to get into heaven. The only Christianity at the school is the chapel building structure. No one understands what version of Christianity the administration practices. The administration is destroying a once Successful school. It is a travesty. Student are no longer the focus. Employees are mistreated. School lacks direction. No one communicates. Organization
    operates on the grapevine. Employees in fear because of the internal breakdown. Enrollment numbers continuously plunging. The school needs another SACS visit before the bottom falls out and students are left hanging

Advice to Management

Get help before Shorter loses accreditation because of gross negligence and incompetence! Employees do not understand the direction of the school. I am glad I left when I did. The workmates left behind deserve a truly Christian and sane workplace. WWJD????

6. "Career Nightmare"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rome, GA

I worked at Shorter University full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Can't come up with a single one. If you like fountains I suppose one could visit those to escape the ongoing insanity.

Cons

I believe the student worker review here should be considered irrelevant. They are not subject to the same policies as actual staff and faculty by any stretch of the imagination. The overall atmosphere at Shorter for the last few years has been one of fear, especially of losing one's job for no apparent reason. The pay is abysmal, distrust of the administration is at an all time high (I was informed by a student that he was hired to spy on employees, including monitoring social media), and you are awarded for your hard work only by receiving more hard work. They proclaim the message of Christ, but apparently have chosen to ignore the Ten Commandments.

Advice to Management

No hope for this group I'm afraid. They believe they are ordained by God and, like the scriptures, are infallible.

7. "Shorter University"

Former Employee - Student Worker in Rome, GA
    Former Employee - Student Worker in Rome, GA

I worked at Shorter University part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I was a student worker during my time at Shorter, and it was great! I was able to make my own hours, which were kind of crazy due to my full load of classes and extracurricular activities. I had excellent supervisors, and it was great to work at the school I was attending.

Cons

As a student worker, you can only make minimum wage and work very few hours. I had a very busy schedule, but I would have liked to have been able to work more than 15 hours a week.

"Don't come here."

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Rome, GA
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Rome, GA

I have been working at Shorter University full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A few decent faculty/staff remain; the students deserve better.

Cons

There is almost nothing good and far too much that's bad. Declining enrollment due to management; unprofessional and unethical attitude and behavior again on management's part. Hiring allies rather than people qualified for their positions. Barely (and quite miraculously) retained SACS accreditation. Paint peeling off walls, ceilings sagging, etc., but the band plays on.

Advice to Management

Why? They already know everything.

9. "Good part time work"

Former Employee - Adjunct Professor in Rome, GA
    Former Employee - Adjunct Professor in Rome, GA

Pros

Enjoyed time there. Taught part time. Offered training and support. Programs were in the evening and catered to adults.

Cons

Classes were by cohort so they might be assigned each term

Advice to Management

Nothing that I can think of at this time

10. "Campus is gorgeous"

Former Employee - Academic Advisor in Rome, GA
    Former Employee - Academic Advisor in Rome, GA

I worked at Shorter University full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Students are a joy to work with
    Flexibility in faculty/staff schedule to help employees
    Most professionals there have a spirit of excellent

Cons

Many clicks and if you are new - it's hard to penetrate that social circle. Some of the staff/faculty w/seniority do not go out of their way to make new staff feel a part of the team - especially after the first 30 days.

Advice to Management

Come up with a vision that emphasizes inclusion and diversity. Stress it - market it all over the campus. Encourage senior staff to get on board or move on.