Showpass Reviews

Updated May 5, 2021

4.5
Showpass CEO Lucas McCarthy (no image)
Lucas McCarthy
  1. 5.0
    Former Intern, more than 1 year

Helped me advance my career

May 5, 2021 - Public Relations
    Business Outlook

Pros

-Great entry level position to put your schooling into practice. I worked on many different projects that most interns wouldn’t get the opportunity to work on. I was trusted with all kind of responsibilities and learned a lot in the process. -Culture was good! They offer company wide rewards when big deals were signed. Usually meant some type of gift or fun activity. -Lots of opportunity to work with different departments to collaborate on projects. -I often got asked what I wanted to work on so I was able to build my resume with skills I developed from projects I enjoyed.

Cons

-Hours were outside of the usual 9-5 during big launches but that’s not unusual for any workplace.

1 person found this review helpful
  2. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Showpass gave me the opportunity to really develop and further my career in a short space of time.

Mar 19, 2021 - Client Success in Calgary, AB
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Surrounded by a hard working team who are all amazing at what they do - New department leads are making a real difference in bringing processes and structure to the company - Unlimited vacation policy that you are encouraged to take - Real opportunity to grow and develop professionally, taking on new projects, working with different departments - Constantly learning new things - Feel like the company is really taking off & they have some real exciting things ahead of them.

Cons

- you are sometimes needed to work weekend and evenings, but this is to be expected in the events industry as that’s when most events take place. - Pre COVID the workplace wasn’t particularly flexible

3 people found this review helpful
  3. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Don't let the "perks" fool you

Mar 10, 2021 - Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Software is fairly easy to use & learn - In house chef is a nice perk - Can be a fun atmosphere to work in at times, feels like you are a part of something interesting - Access to events that can be attractive for some - Attempts to be a disruptor in the market

Cons

- Company lacks any clear direction which became even more apparent during the pandemic - Lack of transparency & leadership from the top-down - Salary is well below the industry average for most, if not all positions. Conversations around compensation don't go well. - No performance reviews meant that when it came time for raises, there was no reasoning or information to explain the lack of them or the amount - Developers & Product team were constantly pulled on and off projects, leaving inefficiencies and not knowing where they stood or what their focus should be Often felt unnecessarily overworked during the sprint sessions - The product suffered immensely from a lack of direction and also suffered from having a young leadership team in place that chased the big client again and again - Too many features were being developed too often instead of focusing on the core product offering and refining those features - Client Success team looked to be overworked with too many accounts asking too much of them - Everything related to third-party applications or hardware was hacked together poorly - Onboarding clients looked to be ineffective & lacked any real process - Sales would overpromise to make the sale and then Product & CS team would have to deal with it - What tech company doesn't have a CTO in place? - Employees were expected to work on weekends regularly - Teams don't work in cohesion & are not on the same page, departments feel siloed and independent of one another - No opportunity to grow or move up within the company, feels very stagnant - Company has an employee turnover problem but will blame it on the US exchange rate and not on lack of job progression, compensation, leadership & company culture - A great example of the lack of leadership within the company: During the BLM movement in 2020, the leadership team completely ignored what was happening and would not discuss it at all. Given that the majority of employees are 23-30, most would have liked to see them at least discuss internally and brainstorm on what the company might be able to do. Slack messages were sent to management and ignored. Yes, it is a sensitive subject but you lost a lot of respect from employees when this happened.

Showpass Response

Director of People Relations

We are sorry to hear that you had a negative experience while at Showpass. Our leadership team is constantly learning, trying to improve and adopting new ideas into the way we do things in order to provide a safe and enjoyable workspace for everyone. Your comments are appreciated and will help us to refine our processes as we continue to grow our organization. If you would like to share any additional feedback, please feel free to reach out to any leader that you would feel comfortable speaking with. -Mike Huchkowsky, Director of People Operations

4. 5.0

Fun, Challenging, Hard-Working and Rewarding

Dec 3, 2019 - People Operations Lead in Calgary, AB
    Business Outlook

Pros

This is a very fast-paced environment and demands are constantly changing. It is rapidly growing and there are a multitude of amazing opportunities to actually make a difference (which you can typically see rolled out very quickly). You can get your hands involved in many different areas and opinions/ideas are openly invited. This is really noticeable during the Hackthons that are done every 2 months. Spending 3 days to work on process improvements or focusing on new ideas outside of your typical day-to-day responsibilities. The compensation plan is decent and everyone is offered options, linking your success with the overall success of the company. A solid breakfast is offered by the in-house chef most mornings along with lunches on Thursday, and a stocked snack table for when you need a little extra boost. A sales wheel is spun to reward the office when new clients are signed up (from coffee runs to pizza parties to group dinners). The dog friendly environment also adds an extra energy as pooches hang out and typically follow you to the kitchen. There is also a generous transportation and cell phone allowance, free parking and an unlimited vacation policy.

Cons

There isn't a formal performance appraisal structure, however this is being developed for rollout early next. The company does however have overall and department specific OKR's which help guide everyone. There currently is no Health Spending Account although we are reviewing the benefits plan to make it more robust (in place of this is a $100/month fitness allowance).

6 people found this review helpful
  5. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Dream Job - Best place to grow my career

Jul 7, 2020 - Engineer in Calgary, AB
    Business Outlook

Pros

- The people and management are honestly great! Smart, fun, and driven - The work is challenging and interesting; goals for the future are motivating and exciting; I feel highly valued and trusted - Lots of opportunities to take on new projects and for advancement - Great compensation and benefits (stock options, regular salary reviews, lunches, events, gorgeous office, unlimited lots of vacation time) - Awesome culture; not just because of the benefits, but because I feel my team is all brilliant.

Cons

Open Office is not my favorite

6. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great place to work, no complaints

Feb 7, 2020 - Software Developer in Calgary, AB
    Business Outlook

Pros

Showpass is a great place to work at. You get to work with a very diverse team of talented people and build exciting new products for a fun industry. The company is breaking new grounds in the ticketing and entertainment space. Product decisions revolve around the users in mind, ensuring the best possible experience for both the event organizers and buyers. The tech stack might not be the most bleeding edge, but its built on tried and tested foundation. What makes this place particularly interesting for me and makes me look forward to everyday here are the people. Everyone is very sociable and always willing to lend a helping hand. There is no needless bureaucracy and self-interest, and a strong focus on communal achievement and helping the company grow.

Cons

Need to put more emphasis on product stability and quality assurance as the company grows and starts to acquire bigger clients.

6 people found this review helpful
  7. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

May be the right fit for some, but not for everyone.

Aug 18, 2020 - Web Developer in Calgary, AB
    Business Outlook

Pros

You will be given lots of agency over your work and can shape company growth Flexible vacation policy Mostly open and fun personalities to work with You will wear many hats and use many different technologies which will fill your resume and build your career You get the chance to have your work used immediately by real people with feedback loops of customers appreciation and suggestions In house chef is a nice perk when working in the office. There are usually many snacks available as well You have opportunities to work alongside big tech companies such as Facebook and Google

Cons

Compensation has been historically average or lower than average for new hires compared to other opportunities. Options are the preferred method of getting you involved in the company but the long vesting periods on them are not compelling IMO. Brain drain was an ongoing issue during my time at Showpass No objectively stable senior talent across the teams during my time at Showpass. Spurts of long working hours which included weekends. No overtime or formal time tracking. Small gifts were sometimes given (food, drinks) in lieu of stressful times. A nice gesture still but felt like it was out of touch. No formal performance appraisal or process when I worked with Showpass. You have to have the confidence to ask for compensation adjustments on your own which can be intimidating for certain personalities. Flexible vacation policy is great but experienced push back when asking for time off depending on the season, ongoing work, and your involvement in it. No flexible work hours or work from home policies. An open office concept and pet-friendly office can be distracting. Many projects are spun up to acquire more business but then are abandoned or pushed to the sidelines. This left a feeling of "running in place" and it felt as time and effort investment had no returns.

4 people found this review helpful
  8. 5.0
    Former Intern, more than 1 year

Fantastic place to learn, grow, and work with an awesome team

Oct 29, 2019 - Customer Support Summer Student
    Business Outlook

Pros

-Super advanced technology suite (both Showpass itself, and the tools used internally). Far exceeds other places I've worked at in this regard. -Significant focus on employee engagement. Team building activities, involvement in development of the Showpass platform, cross-training, etc. -Welcoming company culture. People were supportive of each other, and the sense of teamwork was awesome!

Cons

-This is a growth-oriented company in the tech space. So, the dedication (as an employee) required may exceed a standard '9 to 5.' -Work processes aren't too rigid, so it may be tough for someone that isn't a self starter.

9. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Excellent place to work. Challenging & Rewarding.

Dec 3, 2019 - Front End Developer in Calgary, AB
    Business Outlook

Pros

This is an excellent place to grow your skillset, you will be met with new challenges every day. There are very talented/dedicated individuals in every single department and there is lots of room for career progression. Your input and contributions are actually valued. Meals everyday, dog friendly office, spin wheel with prizes for the whole company after sales. Overall a fantastic culture!

Cons

Work/Life balance can be difficult, but that comes with the startup territory and should be expected.

10. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Stellar Company - Former Employee Review

Oct 24, 2019 - Client Success in Calgary, AB
    Business Outlook

Pros

Showpass was one of my most favorite companies to work at. The people are amazing, the company culture was out of this world and there was always something new coming down the pipeline. I never stopped learning and was around the brightest most talented individuals around. If you are ready for an engaging, rewarding and powerful tech career, Showpass is the way to go

Cons

Work-life balance, but honestly, if you're all about the new up and coming tech life you will not have any Cons!

Viewing 1 - 10 of 13 Reviews