Showtime Networks Reviews | Glassdoor

Showtime Networks President and CEO David Nevins
David Nevins

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Little to no upward mobility, most employees tend to stay for awhile (in 5 reviews)

• Not a lot of room for growth, cubicle work setting (in 3 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Showtime Networks full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The teams are awesome. People like coming to work. We generally have a great work life balance, if not heavier in the life side at times. Some groups have more freedom than others, but the management is pretty clear in direction.

Cons

The management can get a little murky as it goes down the rungs. Sometimes SVP level and above don't have clear direction on priorities.

"Director"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Showtime Networks full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I have been at Showtime for a number of years. The team of people you get to work with is amazing. I think that is why most people stay. The business has changed in reaction to OTT. If you are able to flex and embrace change, it allows you to continue to grow. As the company grows, the work focus and strategy changes, so it easy to stay engaged. The Benefits package via CBS is great. There have been some recent changes that help employees get excited about the product and the future. They added speaker series w. Execs. They are showing previews of upcoming premieres. They hosted a very cool "Billions" Day to get employees excited about Season 2.

Cons

career growth can be organic.someone may need to leave to offer opportunity.

3. "Nice people, but run lean and on temps"

Former Employee - Marketing Coordinator in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Marketing Coordinator in New York, NY

I worked at Showtime Networks part-time

Pros

- Nice people
    - Work Life balance
    - Cool Perks

Cons

- Lots of temps in NY office, and no full time entry level roles. Only temps and then mid-level managers.

"Writer/Producer"

I have been working at Showtime Networks full-time

Pros

Good work life balance

Cons

Below average pat.
    Seems to react more than to innovate.

Advice to Management

Take more risks

5. "More transparency"

Current Employee - Director in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Director in New York, NY

I have been working at Showtime Networks full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Collaborative work environment
    Executives are accessible

Cons

More transparency
    Better marketing of our shows

Advice to Management

Get rid of the fake ideas contest. When you announced the winners you didn't share the ideas that won. You just listed a generic category and multiple employees won under the same category. It looks like the winners were chosen by favoritism. How are the winning ideas being implemented? Why did those ideas win?

6. "Good Company"

I have been working at Showtime Networks full-time

Pros

Smallish company. Lots of opportunity for growth. Good environment. Fantastic work life balance.

Cons

Old school thinking. Some old style thinking.

Advice to Management

Think outside the box

"Benefits are great at this company"

Current Employee - Assistant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Assistant in New York, NY

I have been working at Showtime Networks full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits of CBS Corporation are extensive and generous

Cons

New employees do not receive pensions

Advice to Management

Promote from within

8. "Coordinator"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Showtime Networks full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-friendly employees, exciting projects, hard-working executives, great benefits

Cons

-top heavy, not great company culture, not great work-life balance in certain departments,

"Associate"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Showtime Networks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Everyone is really friendly here, you make lifelong friends and people are always willing to help you if you're struggling with something.
    - Lots of free company swag during promotional events for shows.
    - Office building is beautiful
    - If you genuinely have an issue, people here are willing to take the time to listen and try to help you solve the pressing matter
    - Company's exercise rewards program offers AMAZING rewards

Cons

- HR refuses to acknowledge that they promoted a dictator to supervise an entire department. Others are scared to come forward due to fear of retaliation (this supervisor will find little ways to make your life miserable if they don't like you on a personal level). Freelancers are forced to kiss up to keep their jobs here. People who aren't friends with this supervisor see them as an angel, but those of us who report to this supervisor are absolutely miserable. Even those who don't directly report to this supervisor know to try to avoid as much as possible.

- It's impossible to get promoted here (as I've also heard from employees in senior positions here). Bonuses are handed out only if your supervisor personally likes you, not based on how well you do your job. The only way to get anywhere here is to kiss up to your supervisor.

- Office politics here are INSANE.

- Workload is unevenly distributed. Those in senior positions (that are good friends with the supervisor) are happily working on freelance projects while being paid on company salary, while the rest of us are juggling 10 deadlines at once. Obviously we are very busy and have a lot of work to do, but most of us don't even have the time to eat lunch anymore while the supervisor gets to waltz out to lunch and laugh like a maniac during personal calls in the office.

- Working under this supervisor is like being in an abusive relationship. The supervisor will ask you about your weekend, but then manipulate your mind to think that you're to blame for everything that is going wrong. This supervisor will also refuse to acknowledge your presence if the are unhappy with something instead of directly pointing out the problem and working with you to try to solve the issue together. I realized this abusiveness too late and have built up a bad relationship with the supervisor because I was not sure what I was doing wrong or why they hated me so much, and the fact that I brought the issue up to the supervisor (who tried to avoid confrontation with me) only made matters worse. It wasn't until I started talking to other employees about it that I discovered that this supervisor does this to many people, and has been doing so way before I was hired here. I unfortunately recently made a mistake on something that I should've known better not to do, and now HR will definitely not believe anything I've said about this supervisor. No matter how hard I've worked and how much other people (art directors and senior creative directors) vouch for my hard work, this supervisor refuses to acknowledge how much blood and tears I've shed. I come in to work at 6am every day just to get ahead and make sure everything is ready to meet deadlines, but this supervisor will always have favorites no matter what.

Advice to Management

- I honestly don't know how to help management see that this supervisor is insane and is ruining employees' lives. This supervisor has been here for a long time (but was only recently promoted to supervisor), so obviously neither management or HR will be likely to listen to someone who has been here for less. People in top positions will never hear of or see this as an issue because technically this supervisor is doing their job, but at the expense of employees' well-being and happiness.

10. "its ok"

I have been working at Showtime Networks full-time

Pros

"somewhat" of a good company culture

Cons

no internal movement upwards, only a select few