Shriners Hospitals For Children Reviews | Glassdoor

3.4
Ralph W. Semb

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • No room for advancement, even with advanced degrees (in 6 reviews)

• Upper management are out of touch w/ their employees (in 5 reviews)

"LOVE IT"

I have been working at Shriners Hospitals For Children full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Everyone here is so kind and helpful. I couldn't imagine working anywhere else! Medical, dental, vision, 401k, PTO, sick leave, and another bank of hours for extended sick leave.

Cons

Get called off more than I would like bit they are really working on that (low census at times) and having to cover any and all tattoos but it is a children's hospital so I get it.

Advice to Management

You guys are doing great!!

2. "Great mission, great kids, out-of-date and unorganized leadership"

I have been working at Shriners Hospitals For Children full-time

Pros

The mission is amazing and the care is fantastic. I feel proud working for an organization that puts so much focus on the mission.

Cons

The leadership from all levels is very unorganized and policies are out-dated.

3. "Unqualified Management"

I have been working at Shriners Hospitals For Children full-time

Pros

Benefits are great with employer match. If you are a man, you can get promoted fairly easily.

Cons

I.T. Managers are not qualified. They lack the skills to manage teams and in many cases do not have current technical knowledge. They do not promote women in information technology. The I.T. management at the international headquarters are all men, not one woman. Shriners are a fraternity, and it is quite evident.

Advice to Management

Get new management.

4. "Development Director"

Current Employee - Director of Development in Shreveport, LA
    Current Employee - Director of Development in Shreveport, LA

I have been working at Shriners Hospitals For Children full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great mission and eay sell for fundraising initiatives.

Cons

Administration varies from hospital to hospital. Salaried people are treated as if they are hourly.

Advice to Management

I would rather not say. It depends on who you are as to how you get treated.

5. "Great Place to Work"

I have been working at Shriners Hospitals For Children full-time

Pros

I just love working here

Cons

I truly cant think of anything

6. "Remote Coder"

Former Employee - Remote Coder
    Former Employee - Remote Coder

I worked at Shriners Hospitals For Children full-time

Pros

I got paid. Other than that, I don't know what to tell you. I worked there for 5 months...5 months too long.

Cons

-micromanagement
    -rude/abrupt manager
    -required you to "volunteer" to work on holidays when technically the company was closed. However, because your holidays are paid from your PTO, you do NOT receive time and a half when you work said holidays.
    -had to spend my OWN time studying for ICD-10 since we only received two paid hours per day.

Advice to Management

People work remotely because they want flexibility and they don't want rude managers breathing down their necks every five minutes. It's hard to meet your quota when you're receiving stupid emails every five minutes.

7. "Organization struggling between charity care and wanting to make money from insurance"

I worked at Shriners Hospitals For Children full-time

Pros

There are still plenty of good people at Shriners Hospitals across the country who want to fight to keep the mission going. But they are slowly being eliminated.

Cons

There's no way for staff to excel or to contribute to improvements because directors and administrators want to keep things the way they are. These executives are getting paid huge sums of money to do very little so they pretend there are no problems. It's really tragic. People get fired when they confront executives with any uncomfortable or difficult facts. Administrators have so much power that they become like dictators. Hourly staff are treated like cattle. Once the organization started taking insurance, the doctors lost the ability to do what is medically best for the kids. Now they are forced to meet quotas and bring in kids with insurance, but the marketing for donations makes it seem like the care is still free.

Advice to Management

Give up on making deals with the evil insurance companies. It's ruining the organization. Go back to providing free care for kids with complex conditions and you will make millions of dollars in donations.

8. "Nursing Student"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Shriners Hospitals For Children (More than a year)

Pros

Interning at Shriners was one of my favorite clinical experiences. The staff there was kind and very welcoming to students like myself in helping us learn.

Cons

At times the work environment was slow

9. "Great atmosphere"

I have been working at Shriners Hospitals For Children part-time

Pros

It is a teaching hospital so they are open to new ideas. The doctors are all very approachable and want their patients to do well. Many of the patients are followed all the way through their childhood. Management does a good job of listening to all employees all the way down the totem pole to keep the workplace happy!

Cons

It's a smaller hospital so full time status is not available for some positions

10. "Great place to work"

Former Employee - Medical Assistant
    Former Employee - Medical Assistant

I worked at Shriners Hospitals For Children full-time

Pros

Feels like you are part of a family. Lots of team bonding activities. Friendly staff. Everyone seems happy to be there

Cons

Pay was not the greatest. Too many upper management types making decisions that affect alot of people without asking opinions from the actual people working in the trenches. Staff not up to par need to be terminated!

Advice to Management

Include your staff somehow in decision making. Include all staff. Get rid of staff not abiding by policies!