Shutterfly Reviews | Glassdoor

Shutterfly Reviews

Updated April 24, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Work/Life Balance - If you manage your time well work will stay at the office (in 49 reviews)

• nice culture, great people and products (in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • less opportunity for career advancement, no 401k match (in 14 reviews)

• Some managers don't allow work life balance (in 14 reviews)

"HR Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Shutterfly full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Employees were dedicated and hardworking

Cons

A lot of unethical and illegal HR practices being done. One of the meanest, unprofessional HR Managers that I've ever worked with (finally left the company in 2012).

Advice to Management

Get off your "high-horse" and stop mistreating contractors and partners that are there to help your business. The aggressive, condescending, bullying is so unprofessional, and I can only hope I don't see any of you working in a company I move to.

"Share Life's Joy."

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Shutterfly full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Supportive coworkers and free product credits.

Cons

I don't recommend working here because it's a very elitist environment. Some people in management don't have any idea how to do their job correctly. On top of everything else, most of the customer service employees are sub-contracted under Corestaff services, which is a temp agency. The company doesn't value each employee enough to give everyone the benefits they deserve for all of their hard work.

Advice to Management

Make every employee a permanent employee with benefits, and maybe the turnover rate wouldn't be so high as it is now. The company motto is to share life's joy, so share it. Make employees want to come to work every day and do the best they can.

"Lawsuit waiting to happen."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Shakopee, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Shakopee, MN

I worked at Shutterfly full-time

Pros

Free Shutterfly products. Nice new building.

Cons

Shutterfly in Shakopee, MN does not care about the well being of their employees. I have seen people sick at their desks that they wouldn't allow to go home without threatening them with a point system that was completely unrealistic. More then 15 points and you are gone. If you're one minute late due to traffic or a family emergency you get a point. If you're sick you get three points a day. Pray you do not get the flu because you're out of luck if you're out for more then a few days.
    The funniest thing is they have this point system in place but it varies around the building. Customer care is very strict about it but in production it's barely a thing at all. So some temps come in super late and no one bats an eye at it. It really upset me when I heard that. Why was I sitting at my desk sick while people downstairs didn't have to stress about it at all. Seems very unfair.
    I had a lot of close friends in the company and heard so many horrible stories I cringe just thinking about them. If you get injured on the job you're screwed because you're blacklisted forever. They'll bully you out. Actually bullying is a huge part of the Shutterfly way it would seem.
    Mandatory overtime. Why Shutterfly thinks it's okay for people to work 72 hour weeks during the holiday season is just beyond us all. If you love the holidays and your family don't work at Shutterfly for the holidays. You will not be allowed to take any time off even if you give months notice. That's insane.
    Shutterfly also likes to dangle opportunities to hopeful employees to get them to dance like their puppet. I'd love to write a novel on this one alone calling out all the managers but honestly it's not even worth the time.
    In short if you're thinking about working for Shutterfly don't do it. There is other production companies out there that will treat you like a human being.

Advice to Management

Clean house. Get rid of managers and leads that are lazy and don't have a clue what they're doing.

"CYA"

Former Employee - Principal User Experience Designer in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Principal User Experience Designer in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Shutterfly full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Discounts on products and bonuses are pretty nice

Cons

Things went downhill when our VP of design left and they did not replace him. There was a vacuum and the wrong people stepped in to lead the design team.There were many middle manager changes. No real design leadership. There was a lot of competition over projects.... because it was essentially a free-for-all without a VP to align resources. There was also too much churn and terrible resourcing decisions spawned by new leadership.

Advice to Management

If you're going to hire designers, get the proper management to help guide them. Design needs to be led by a strong design executive with experience in design and leading a large team. Resource decisions should be handled by a design leader who knows what it takes to launch great experiences.

"Terrible but pays well if your are direct hire"

Former Employee - Machine Operator II in Shakopee, MN
    Former Employee - Machine Operator II in Shakopee, MN

I worked at Shutterfly full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-tons of free swag, too much to even use (1+ free of almost every item every 6 months, plus high employee discounts )
    -good break room: atm, vending, lots of seating, and microwaves/coffee makers

Cons

- short sighted: too many temps, refuse to direct hire 90% of the time
    -work you like a dog: legally minimum breaks, no water or bathroom breaks outside of those (like high school but worse)
    - poor management practices: when asked what is needed to complete tasks, they ignore your answer despite not knowing how your machine even works
    -No accountability : blames temp agency for being short staffed all the time, doesn't even know when or why people are getting fired

Advice to Management

LISTEN TO YOUR EMPLOYEES and then write what they say down. All of them, temps are people too.
    Less meetings, at some point youre just wasting time

7. "Great place to work!"

Former Employee - Payroll in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Payroll in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Shutterfly (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing Payroll team. Great culture.

Cons

Need better work life balance.

"Great people, okay work environment."

Former Employee - Systems Architect in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Systems Architect in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Shutterfly full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Most of the people are wonderful to work with, some solid products, and who doesn't love photos? Work / life balance is what you make it.

Cons

Sometimes mediocre product launches, quite a bit of technical debt from a spaghetti mess of old code, old systems never die, lack of connectivity from executive leadership to the rank and file. No clear paths for career growth outside the regular tracks, no 401k matching. Difficult to recruit tech new hires when competing with pure tech companies.

Advice to Management

Encourage innovation, entrepreneurship, and participation in the open source community. Better communication across marketing, forecasting, product, and technology organizations. Build products that solve problems.

"Operator"

Current Employee - Lead Operator in Fort Mill, SC
    Current Employee - Lead Operator in Fort Mill, SC

I have been working at Shutterfly full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice benefits, opportunities to give back to community

Cons

It's difficult to get promoted from inside, high turnover in managers.

10. "Sr. Software Engineer at Test"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer At Test in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer At Test in Redwood City, CA

Pros

My project is using latest technology and its a good exposure. It is a known company and you get lots of free gifts..

Cons

They do not match 401 k contribution.

11. "Internship Experience"

Former Employee - Intern in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Intern in San Jose, CA

Pros

Very Flexible.
    Good team members
    Very good culture and work environment.
    Lot of Learning sessions
    Good networking and interactions with the employees

Cons

No personal Mentor. But very helpful team members.