Shutterfly Reviews | Glassdoor

Shutterfly Reviews

Updated December 11, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work/Life Balance - If you manage your time well work will stay at the office (in 55 reviews)

• nice culture, great people and products (in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • less opportunity for career advancement, no 401k match (in 17 reviews)

• Zero work life balance during the company's peak business time from October to January of every year (in 15 reviews)

1. "Shutterfly Review"

I have been working at Shutterfly full-time

Pros

Flexible and big on work/life balance. Friendly work culture.

Cons

A lot of restructuring constantly and changes but this may settle down in a few months.

Advice to Management

Continue increasing organization of roles and career trajectories.

"-"

Current Employee - Production Designer in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Production Designer in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Shutterfly full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-the work is easy, for the most part
    -managers are approachable and casual
    -free coffee/tea and soda fountain
    -work/life balance was okay (EXCEPT for q4, where you were expected to live at work and kind of guilted into working more overtime on top of the mandatory overtime)
    -steep discounts on many products
    -you can decorate your desk to your liking

Cons

-the work is very repetitive and requires little actual creativity
    -very little opportunity for advancement
    -we all start as a contractor but many never get converted to a fulltime employee even after 3+ years of doing the same work, and their hours are always in flux
    -fulltime employees rarely get promoted even if you take on more tasks/projects
    -lack of company culture (despite management belief that we have one, the environment in our building is very corporate and just a tad sterile in appearance)
    -no real rewards for work well done (raffles are done instead so only a couple people actually benefit)

Advice to Management

Rewards for hard work would be appreciated and increase motivation - not just a verbal "we acknowledge your efforts" but a tangible thing that really stays with you and SHOWS that your hard work meant something. Instead too much focus is placed on audits or correcting errors that are mostly minor.
    As far as getting rid of our entire department, I feel like surveys should have been sent to customers before this decision was reached as so far, the feedback seems negative. It'll be interesting to see what happens this q4.

"Great company with strong leadership. Plenty of perks and great people"

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Shutterfly full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The pay and atmosphere are good not great. Outside of peak season the hours are very good allowing time to have a life outside of work

Cons

The biggest con is there is no 401k match which is one of the biggest complaints. Certain people in management are simply where they are at because they are part of the good ol boys club

Advice to Management

Stop with the free product and match the 401k. Don't take away the bonuses from your core employees and then give the E staff thousands of RSU's which equate to half a million dollars

"Thieves"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Shakopee, MN

I worked at Shutterfly full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

None that I can think of

Cons

I had money ( $700) stolen from me while working here

Advice to Management

Pay employees for time worked.

"Untapped potential"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Shutterfly full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some of the positives about Shutterfly are its culture, manageable hours and cross-functional collaboration. Aggressive behavior is generally frowned upon (excl a few leaders), as most people assume a positive intent amongst their peers.
    Decision making is based heavily on data, so the analytic capabilities are strong. Most people want to make a difference, even when feeling disenchanted about the "must prioritize, that's for 2020, too little resources" response. And many consumers love Shutterfly, particularly our Holiday cards and photobooks, and think highly of the Ellen partnership.

Cons

The downsides of Shutterfly is the heavily matrixed environment which makes it feel bureaucratic and remote from the vision and/or concerns of the senior leadership. HR does not have much voice, leadership or presence in the organization. The Executive do not try to get to know people across the organization (putting a man on the moon mentality - everyone has a role). And a few VPs seem to be weak managers, focused more on managing upwards vs empowering, championing and informing their teams. And lastly, the company could benefit more from gut, insight mining and true innovation.

Advice to Management

Evaluate organizational design in realizing the company mission in a specified amount of time. Get to know your employees across all functions and levels. Encourage openness and dialog, and not fear (of speaking up, diverging opinion, making a mistake)

"Interesting HR question"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Shakopee, MN

I worked at Shutterfly full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Not a lot of postives in the Shakopee facility any more.

Cons

Isn't it interesting that the Shakopee MN location has been open less tha 4 years and they have gone through 2 HR Managers. Is it the people they hired or the HR leader they work for? A very strong team they initially assembled has been dismantled due to them being a great working team. Others are leaving quickly. Read the reviews, look at the public stock reports and do the research before making a decision.

Advice to Management

Save yourself. The high level leadership only looks out for themselves and the stock prices to continue to pad their pockets. Share with the people who help make the profits and work the long hours during the season.

7. "General Manager"

I worked at Shutterfly full-time

Pros

great vision of leadership team, passionate and driven colleagues, good pay

Cons

currently there is future uncertainty

"Anonymous"

I have been working at Shutterfly full-time

Pros

- Flexible Work Hours
    - Perks

Cons

- Multiple Hierarchical levels leading to communication problems. Decision makers have no idea about the efforts put in by the entry level employees/Managers
    - Too many politics
    - Favoritism - Some employees always receive better assignments and get eligible for best ratings during performance reviews
    - Zero work life balance during the company's peak business time from October to January of every year
    -Reduced 13% workforce due to an underperforming quarter

9. "Senior Marketing Manager"

I have been working at Shutterfly full-time

Pros

Pay rate. People are friendly.

Cons

Company doesn't have a clue (or a care?) about diversity.
    HR leads are beyond awful.

"Great work life balance"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Shutterfly full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Company fosters environment where you have great work life balance. Many employees are just starting families, like myself. I was allowed great flexibility in work schedule and workload when we had our child.

Cons

I felt the stock options and bonuses were below market average, and there is no 401K matching.

Advice to Management

Focus on the pulse surveys which state dissatisfaction with bonuses and career paths. Whenever this is reviewed, the bad results are always described as not "statistically significant".