Shutterfly Reviews in United States | Glassdoor

Shutterfly US Reviews

United States

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work/Life Balance - If you manage your time well work will stay at the office (in 55 reviews)

• nice culture, great people and products (in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • less opportunity for career advancement, no 401k match (in 17 reviews)

• Zero work life balance during the company's peak business time from October to January of every year (in 15 reviews)

1. "A fairly good place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

Pros

Flexible but productive. There are future growth opportunities.

Cons

Fair paid, but with limited bonus.

Advice to Management

Increase the bonus pool.

"Working for the company was great... Just one manager ruined it"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

Pros

The company really respects work/life balance. The technology team had a lot of very sharp folks who were more than happy to share knowledge, help each other, and treated everyone else on the team with courtesy and professional respect.

Cons

Certain managers lack the people-management skills, don't listen to their team members, and assign tasks that with time lines that are impossible to meet.

Advice to Management

Listen to the employees when they say there is a problem with a manager. Don't just try to brush the problem away, and give ultimatums saying that there's nothing you can do to resolve the issues.

3. "Great work environment, not so much with the location and commute"

Former Employee - Contractor in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Contractor in Mountain View, CA

Pros

- Great senior leadership, direction, inspiration and accountability
    - Team-oriented and you really believe that as a start-up, they'd look out for their employees
    - Growth oriented and talented staff
    - Fun culture - young but still very family friendly

Cons

- Not the most fun location - would be more vibrant if relocated to the city

Advice to Management

Great job!

4. "A great product - and a great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

Pros

Perks, benefits and employee recongition activities seem to increase every year.
    Company has been paying regular and increasing bonuses, stock plans have been delivering great returns!
    Company weathered the recession well, and continues to focus on internal growth, acquisitions, and investing in high caliber talent (both internal and new hire).
    Fun place to work where you are not micro managed.

Cons

No 401(k) match.
    Not strong culture of telecommuting.

Advice to Management

Continue to remain as transparent as possible about company progress and future strategy.

"Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in Redwood City, CA

Pros

Shutterfly is a great place to work. Everyone here is very smart, very nice, and very good at what they do. Upper management is fairly clear in their directives, and everyone generally seems to be on the same page about what direction we are heading. The work-life balance here is one of the best I've ever encountered - while expectations are high and everyone wants to do their best, everyone also understands that there is a time to relax and have fun, both with co-workers and with your own families.

Cons

This is a fairly "flat" organization, and there are not a lot of opportunities for career advancement. Additionally, the quarterly review system is a bit flawed in that it allows for reviews only of an employee by a manager - while the employee contributes heavily to the review process, there is no opportunity for peer reviews, nor is there any opportunity for the employee to give feedback on the manager.

Advice to Management

Give all employees the opportunity to review their manager, and to review and be reviewed by their peers. Continue to offer the great team building opportunities that you currently offer, education opportunities that you offer, and keep encouraging people to perform at high levels.

6. "Shutterfly ROCKS!"

Current Employee - Final Assembly Lead in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Final Assembly Lead in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

The best place to work. Great Training and tools provided to allow each one to succed.

Cons

Lunch time is limited to 20 min. could be longer

Advice to Management

Expand lunch to 30 min.

7. "This is a five star company! I hope it continues to prosper as it continues to make lasting memories for people."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

Pros

The company just makes you feel special as an employee, the pay is good and the benefits are excellent!

Cons

I like my job so much that I hate to miss work even when I am sick. Don't know if that is a blessing or a curse.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing.

8. "Shutterfly -- A terrific place to work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

Pros

Shutterfly is a great place to work for many reasons, here are just a few:
    - We have a top notch management team that drives company focus on our priorities. This makes it easy to come in every day and say "Is what I'm working on driving the business forward."
    - Unbelievably skilled direct managers and peers. The the ability to plan strategically and execute flawlessly is a characteristic embodied in everyone here.
    - Real focus on development of employees. The quarterly review process makes it easy to set goals and work towards achieving them and rewards are doled out accordingly.
    - Compensation is very competitive and the work/life balance is awesome--especially important if you have a rough commute like I do.

Cons

I do not have any cons as of yet.

Advice to Management

No advice to management yet.

9. "Good Employer."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

Pros

Great benefits and perks. Enjoyable work on products and services that will be used by many to store and share memories.

Cons

I haven't encountered any serious problems so far. This has been a great place to learn new skills and work of fun projects.

Advice to Management

Keep up the innovation. I wouldn't mind seeing some more options for mounting pictures. It would be nice to order a picture and have the option to put it in a frame, on a foam standout, or in an acrylic floating mount.

10. "Shutterfly rocks!"

Current Employee - Senior Director in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Director in Redwood City, CA

Pros

We have an incredibly talented group of senior management and employees, and we treat each other with respect. We have a culture that rewards performance and good business thinking and strategy, and not politics.

As a company that focuses on helping other create and preserve memories, many of which are related to families, we have great respect for our employees' needs to balance work and family life. It is also just plain fun to work on a product and service that you know makes others' lives happier and better.

Cons

As a medium-sized public company, we have somewhat limited resources to execute all of the great ideas that our team has. So we have to be patient and prioritize, which can be frustrating at times.

Advice to Management

Continue to build our culture, hire great people, and keep us focused on building a great company for years to come.