Shutterfly Reviews | Glassdoor

Shutterfly Reviews

Updated August 15, 2017

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work/Life Balance - If you manage your time well work will stay at the office (in 53 reviews)

• nice culture, great people and products (in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • i cant think of any except no 401k match (in 15 reviews)

• Zero work life balance during the company's peak business time from October to January of every year (in 15 reviews)

"Senior Machine Operator Lead"

Former Employee - Senior Lead in Mooresville, NC
    Former Employee - Senior Lead in Mooresville, NC

I worked at Shutterfly (Less than a year)

Pros

Shutterfly offers great employee discounts on all of their product lines.
    Refreshments (beverages) are available for employees.

Cons

Shutterfly is operates in a very unprofessional culture.
    The schedule frequently fluctuates and there is not a respect for work/life balance.
    Management is very unprofessional and treat employees with as little respect as possible.

Advice to Management

Step up your professionalism or you may have some legal trouble.

"Not ok"

Pros

working with some people are cool

Cons

Place doesn't care about anyone but themselves

Advice to Management

Keep people who have college degree

"Mass Confusion and Professional Nightmare"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Fort Mill, SC
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Fort Mill, SC

I worked at Shutterfly as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Worked as a seasonal lead during "Q4" rush for Christmas. I had a great trainer on my shift to show me the ropes. The people at my level and those under me were great to work with for the most part.

Cons

I was treated like trash from a new 2nd shift manager. One night this manager yelled at the top of his lungs using profanity at me directly. I went to the temp agency the next day, but was released from assignment. Of course this manager wasn't questioned about his actions from HR and it was swept under the carpet. I never responded with anything but respect, but that didn't matter to them.

Advice to Management

Delusional management going up the ladder that needs a wake up call. DO NOT install a new software program just weeks before the busiest time of the year. It was a nightmare and someone should have been fired for approving that. The company has over 6 months of quiet time to install nightmares ... why before "Q4?"

"Worst working experience yet"

Former Employee - Level II NOC Engineer in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Level II NOC Engineer in Santa Clara, CA

Pros

Free snacks, and drinks.......um. Well I think they give discount on Shutterfly orders.

Cons

Fort the Santa Clara data center they just throw you in the fire with no support. Expectations were "I am going to tell you once, if I miss something I don't care. You should have it". The leadership there was non-existent. Pathetic really.

Advice to Management

Your a Web based company. You should care more for your data centers. The network is integral to your companies income. Just because a person has experience does not mean he can lead. Hire people who will get involved.

"Software Engineer"

Former Employee - Software Engineer - Enterprise Applications in Redwood City, CA

Pros

It was a good company and team to work for until the recent management change.

Cons

The new management does not understand anything about systems but they make decisions and everyone needs to adhere to them. They did let go many from the team and they did lay off many from the team as well. No value for anyone who works in the team. There is no room for any of the team members feedback. More like a corporate dictatorship now. Its just filled with pure politics now rather than the actual job. No room for any career growth.

Advice to Management

Hire better people at the upper management level who can make good decisions for the Organization as well as work with the team not just who can work with their friends and who can think of actual job rather than concentrating on politics.

"Shipper/Receiver"

Current Employee - Shipping/Packing in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Shipping/Packing in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Shutterfly (Less than a year)

Pros

The pay was good and the hours

Cons

It's ONLY a Temp-to- hire with no grantee of getting hired for the company

Advice to Management

Hire people full time instead of part time always

"Machine operator/ Production"

Former Employee - Machine Operator in Yonkers, NY
    Former Employee - Machine Operator in Yonkers, NY

I worked at Shutterfly (More than 3 years)

Pros

Learning different jobs and getting along with people. Good team players at shutterfly, that's only thing I miss about the jobs. Just being Honest.

Cons

This job pays a very low salaries and you do so much and its not appreciated by the company.I would never work for them again. Just being Honest.

"Not Recommended, No Work/Life Balance"

Current Employee - Production Designer
    Current Employee - Production Designer

I have been working at Shutterfly full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company seeks input from everyone to improve workflow and the customer experience. You stay in the know with company wide meetings to see the year-over-year growth and successes. The customers are pleasant and we get to write handwritten thank yous to them. The product is gorgeous and sells itself. Training happens often to keep everyone up to date. Facilities are nice with free coffee/soda, and coworkers are great people.

Cons

The contractor vs. full-time employee rift is the elephant in the room. Dangling the conversion carrot in front of contractors ruins team morale. It can take over a year to be converted, and conversion isn't guaranteed.

Hours are sporadic and typically range from 4 to 12 hour days with little notice. Sometimes you don’t know your shift until you show up. It’s common for a 4 hour day to turn into an 8 hour day over the lunch hour. Or the total reverse happens and you are sent home hours early. This is great for flexible people, but otherwise work/life balance is nonexistent.

Being a production designer is a glorified customer service role. You will call customers, leave voicemails, update shipping/billing information, change order quantities, etc.

For holiday it’s mandatory 12 hour shifts, 6 days a week for 2 weeks. You work most holidays and there’s no paid time off. Black-out dates last months at a time. Depending on your shift, you’ll work weekends.

Advice to Management

If hiring contractors is essential to your business, please set a definite date for conversion review because stringing contractors along ruins morale. Also consider honoring workers for the time they’ve reserved to work, instead of sending them home early without the scheduled compensation. Invest in your employees like you do your customers and your company will be better for it.

"Like A Donkey Led By A Carrot"

Former Contractor - Machine Operator in Shakopee, MN
    Former Contractor - Machine Operator in Shakopee, MN

I worked at Shutterfly as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Not much... Maybe the cheap snacks and free soda. Co-workers were very pleasant and fun. Environment was very clean and modern.

Cons

Upper management is horrible. As a "contractor", you are treated and looked upon as a lower life form. Most importantly, they make it a business practice to dangle a full-time position opportunity in front of you so you work for low pay and no benefits. I've heard of employees being "contractors" for up to 5 YEARS before being hired on full time.

The impression I get from Shutterfly is that they want to be an exceptional business for their customers (which I agree with) BUT below exceptional business for their employees.

Advice to Management

Wake up and see that your employees make a business successful. Acknowledge your "contractors", as they make up 90% of your workforce. To one particular person in management: STEP DOWN FROM YOUR PEDESTAL.

"Too much politics"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Shutterfly (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay, especially if you are in management and get stock grants.
    Some good smart people - not sure if anyone left anymore

Cons

too political - product management controls everything
    CEO has financial background and manages company accordingly: if results are good - they are hiring, if results are bad - they are firing. - this creates un healthy environment
    Company positions itself as innovative, but there is no business need to do innovation and company doesn't want to invest. All engineering work is focused on integration for new acquisitions

Advice to Management

clean up politics