Shutterfly Senior Marketing Manager Reviews | Glassdoor

Ryan OHara

"A big happy family"

Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Shutterfly full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Friendly and fun environment. They care about your overall happiness.

Cons

Can be static after a while

Advice to Management

Wish for more career development opportunities

Shutterfly2017-03-15

"Horrible Management, Dying Culture..But Very Relaxed Environment"

Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Shutterfly full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Extremely flexible, people come in around 10 and leave at 4. Very relaxed Small company since many left after the recent acquisition , which creates an intimate environment for employees. Great employees. The people at Shutterfly are very nice.

Cons

Poor Management - managers are not very engaged. Most have been at the company for over 6 years+ and have called it in. Don't expect to learn too much from them. Minimal Backfill - They haven't been backfilling all those that have left the company. Pay & Promotion - Shutterfly pays lower compared to other companies and it's very difficult to get promoted. The increase of pay after promotion is low. Favoritism -... management has favorites. Plays out in meetings and promotions. New acquisition - nobody know what the outcome will be. Private equity firm purchased Shutterfly and there could potentially be layoffs, as is common for these types of situations.

Advice to Management

Apollo, the company that acquired Shutterfly, needs to hold in person interviews with employees to get real feedback about the management issues. Take feedback seriously.

Shutterfly2019-08-05

"Fun, busy place"

Senior Marketing Manager in Moraga, CA

I worked at Shutterfly for less than a year

Pros

Fun product that makes you smile. Nothing evil about personalized gifts.

Cons

Hard to get in full-time from contract. They appoint people internally to positions they know nothing about. It's a way to give them a promotion, but it often upsets the balance. Contractors that are highly qualified stay contractors. Maybe 1:10 make it to become FTE. Also, it's a boys club. There are very few women at the top. The ones that are there are rare or friends of the top guys. Men get promoted over... smarter women a lot.

Advice to Management

There are very smart people trying to work for you full time. Take notice. Sometimes promoting someone isn't the right thing to do.

Shutterfly2015-10-18
  4. "Shutterfly is a great place to work and grow professionally"

Senior Marketing Manager in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Shutterfly

Pros

Shutterfly's senior management team totally empowers their employees so you can really see a project through from start to finish. Unlike other companies I have worked at, Senior Mgmt also trusts their employees so you have the ability to do some amazing cutting-edge work and do not need to spend time defending past decisions. The people working here our top notch and among the brightest people I have ever... interacted with. They are also super friendly and go out of their way to help out in any way they can. I am usually quite critical and maybe even a little pessimistic, but Shutterfly is awesome from an employee perspective so I LOVE working here.

Cons

There are really not too many cons I can think of. There does seem to be a lot of overlap so it is not always clear who owns what part of the business. That is really the only negative thing I can say about my experience to date.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work and do whatever it takes to keep our high flying and totally awesome CEO (very funny guy) happy as I am sure he will have other great opportunities elsewhere given how well the stock has performed the last couple years.

Shutterfly2011-09-29

"Revolving door"

I worked at Shutterfly

Pros

Generally nice people, free drinks, and they bring in lots of lunches.

Cons

Senior Management consistently tolerates poor treatment of employees with little to no recourse. In one case, it took all of one Director's direct reports to quit before they finally fired that Director. On the other hand, they pushed out a Director who was very strong in her role. In that case, her direct reports resigned. Sub-par analytics and reporting infrastructure.

Advice to Management

Pay more attention to how your employees are treated. Get outside consulting help to recalibrate what backgrounds/skill sets are important in Director and above roles.

Shutterfly2010-05-21
  6. "Good place to learn for a year or two"

I worked at Shutterfly

Pros

Interesting products, good product team

Cons

Not as innovative as you'd expect

Advice to Management

Empower your teams to make decisions. Decision-making authority was always top-down, despite PR that said people could bring up their own ideas.

Shutterfly2008-08-14