Shutterfly Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated Oct 20, 2020

3.5
Shutterfly CEO Hilary Schneider
Hilary Schneider
Pros
  • "Work life balance is a definite plus along with work flexibility(in 76 reviews)

• "Great people around to work with(in 34 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Poor management/upper-management(in 23 reviews)

• "There is zero work-life balance during peak season(in 20 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Gender

This rating reflects the overall rating of Shutterfly and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great place to work

Apr 20, 2020 - Decline to State in Redwood City, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Strong, values-driven culture Teamwork and collaboration are highly valued Compassionate, empathetic leadership Great work/life balance

Cons

Significant amount of change over past several years, including acquisitions, public to private, and leadership transitions

2. 3.0
      Current Employee

Good & Bad

Oct 20, 2020 - Operations
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Good first time job out of college - Good work life balance and ability to take time off when needed

Cons

- Terrible recruiting process/ability to move up - I have been interviewing for a job for over a month now to move up within the company and can't get any type of response from the recruiter on next steps or just where the job even stands at this point - No clear direction on how to advance your career. Get bored after staying in the same spot with no real opportunity for growth or career advancement,

3. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Lousy CEO, OK middle management, dedicated employees

Sep 9, 2020 - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Nice work/life balance, great coworkers, Good product and value proposition and loyal customer base

Cons

History of CEOs completely uninterested in product, customers, culture and employees. Except for few bright exemptions, top management is lousy, weak and petty. Increasingly politicized with loudest crappy self promoting mid management getting touted and promoted. Rapidly degrading customer focus and interest in the product.

4. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Good company to kick start a career

Jul 23, 2020 - Software Engineer in Tempe, AZ
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great teams You’ll get to work with latest tech stack (most of the time) Amazing work life balance

Cons

-If you want to change teams to get different experiences, good luck to you - Project planning between PMs happen in a black box with no Engineering inputs - You won’t feel presence of a culture (if you care about it)

2 people found this review helpful
    5. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Pay was decent, but toxic culture

Oct 17, 2019 - Client Service Representative
      Business Outlook

Pros

Was paid pretty well, fun on-site activities, great discounts and freebies on products, direct manager was wonderful

Cons

The leadership is not good. It’s a bit of a “good ol boys club” among the senior leadership team, especially on the commercial/business side- not sure how the retail side is run. Cross-functional teams struggle to work together; lots of pushback and lack of ownership which make it very difficult to appease clients. There seems to be strong resistance to working together internally, rather you see people wanting to make themselves look good and shift responsibility. Major lack of processes in place... there are no P&P’s, no training, nothing seems to be standardized, it’s a scramble to get things done and clients are flat out lied to about what the company is capable of. I had issues with the ethical implications of the way things were presented to external clients. There is zero work-life balance during peak season. I was advised I was expected to be “on call” during the evenings and weekends and there was little care given to the fact that employees have families and personal lives. This is not a life or death industry; it’s print materials. Very high turn over, that is pretty telling.

6. 2.0
      Current Contractor, more than 1 year

Room for improvement

May 14, 2020 - Corporate Recruiter in Fort Mill, SC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Work/life balance - flexibility to work remote

Cons

By far the most unprofessional Recruiting team I’ve worked with. Zero training and my manager is a new manager who likes the title more than the responsibilities of leading a team. I am left to figure it out on my own. I love my job, just not the people I work with.

Shutterfly Response

Head of Talent Acquisition

Thank you for providing this valuable feedback. As the leader of Talent Acquisition I take your concerns very seriously and encourage you to reach out directly to me so we can discuss. It is important that every team member feel supported and have the training needed to be successful. I look forward to you contacting me so I can hear more.

7. 2.0
      Current Employee, more than 8 years

Not what it used to be

May 24, 2020 - Manager in Redwood City, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good co-workers and peers, work life balance, snacks, employee discount, unlimited DTO

Cons

Poor benefits, declining culture and uninspiring leadership. Sadly after being acquired by Apollo last year the company has been on a steady decline and I don’t see much of a future for the company.

8. 2.0
      Former Employee

Tons of layoffs. Stay far far away

Mar 26, 2020 - Software Engineer in Redwood City, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Decent work life balance Nice people

Cons

This company used to be decent, but it was bought by a private equity firm that is slashing jobs. Culture of company has been on the steady decline. Pay is not competitive and no annual raises. Work is not challenging or innovative. Very siloed teams.

7 people found this review helpful
    9. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

it was ok...

Apr 21, 2020 - Recruiting Coordinator
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good work life balance, free drinks, lots of company holidays, DTO

Cons

Team members can throw you under the bus because they have seniority, Manager told me to quit, Management is distant and less than friendly

10. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 10 years

Great place to work if you value work-life balance

Sep 21, 2019 - Senior Program Manager in Redwood City, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great team members, really good work-life balance with the flexibility to take care of your personal business when you need to. Discount on products.

Cons

Over the years, Shutterfly has lost its long term vision and putting the customer first, and focused too much on immediate, short-term gains, resulting in tech-debt and short-cutting on product development. This can make it frustrating as the issues pile up year after year, short cut after short cut.

1 person found this review helpful