Shutterstock Reviews | Glassdoor

Shutterstock Reviews

Updated Jan 23, 2020

Shutterstock Founder & CEO Jon Oringer
Jon Oringer
  1. "There's good and bad; it is what you make of it"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Shutterstock full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

+ Free food and lots of events + Charity donation matching + Working in the Empire State Building is cool + Really smart, thoughtful, dedicated people in all sorts of departments

Cons

+ Disjointed planning makes everything feel rushed and like it's never fully done + The company has grown a lot and there are a lot of people in super specific roles that make it hard to work on projects without 20-person meetings

Advice to Management

Find more ways to connect with people on the ground. Participate in the follow-through of some of your meetings so you see more of how things work once you get to the details.

Shutterstock2020-01-23

"One of the best companies to work for in Dublin"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Dublin, Dublin

I have been working at Shutterstock full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Good pay - Good benefits (stocks, bonuses, gym membership, medical insurance etc) - Laid-back environment - Fantastic people to work with - Excellent location, at the heart of Dublin - Upper management is friendly, easy to reach and transparent. - Guys from NYC (which my team has contact with) also are very friendly and easy to work with.

Cons

None I can think of. Wish I had joined earlier tbh.

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

Shutterstock2020-01-13

"Unethical NIGHTMARE... Run Away Like You’re On Fire!"

I worked at Shutterstock

Pros

They gave us free ice cream once... that’s all I’ve got.

Cons

Discrimination is the norm and widely tolerated by leadership. There is NO “culture” despite the smiles and fluff you’ll receive during your interview... just a cracking whip and verbal threats. The product is “one of many many options” in the market so it’s a race to the bottom with pricing. Employees aren’t getting paid what they once were and are running out the door. This employer is so bad, it’s hard to believe it’s still in business. Don’t buy the lies... don’t buy the “we’re a technology company”...HA in your dreams Shutterstock! You sell other people’s photos on a clunky outdated platform. You change your “go to market strategy” every year, like throwing spaghetti on the wall, crossing your fingers that this year’s plan won’t fail like the last one! If you’re even looking at a job here, save yourself years of misery and look elsewhere. Your career and income will thank you....

Advice to Management

Fire yourselves

Shutterstock2019-12-28

"Read Glassdoor reviews before applying"

Current Employee - Designer in New York, NY

I have been working at Shutterstock full-time for less than a year

Pros

None that I can think of. Free food in canteen.

Cons

- The CEO asks staff to give the company a positive review on Glassdoor. - Egomaniacs - They rip off artists - Messy code, messy design processes

Shutterstock2019-12-06

"mostly fabulous, a couple of harsh managers left this year"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer

I have been working at Shutterstock full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The 4 engineering teams that I frequently work with are wonderful, other teams seem good to great from the outside view. 401k matching (50%, no limit) is great, 21 days PTO is decent, the Empire State Building is a fun place to work, and there's a supportive attitude about telecommuting.

Cons

C level management is working on better transparency but isn't there yet. Overall company culture is uninspired, if improving. Upper management seems bottom-line driven where employees want a compelling mission and role models.

Advice to Management

Add (and publicize) an anonymous feedback system to help identify employee satisfaction issues, even when folks are shy about talking to management. Emphasize and celebrate the ways in which Shutterstock opens opportunities for new photographers and brings income to folks in poor and remote communities.

Shutterstock2019-11-15

"Awesome Team! Great Culture!"

Current Employee - Talent Acquisition in New York, NY

I have been working at Shutterstock full-time for less than a year

Pros

Flexibility, Work/Life Balance, Culture, Free Breakfast/Lunch & Snacks daily, Benefits Galore!!

Cons

You need to be able to roll with the punches because the good outweighs the bad!

Shutterstock2019-11-15

"Positive Vibes Only"

Current Employee - Sales in New York, NY

I have been working at Shutterstock full-time for less than a year

Pros

I have worked at a few large publicly traded companies and I'm surprised by some of the negative reviews of Shutterstock. You don't feel like a cog. I'm big on energy so I pay attention to vibes. I remember my first days at other companies I worked at, and recall walking in and just knowing I was going to hate it. I've NEVER felt like that at all here. Are there some things that need fixing, absolutely! But I truly believe SSTK is seriously taking the steps to improve its product and its talent. Jon O. (Founder/CEO) is present in the NYC office and I appreciate how that he is approachable and personable. SSTK is his brainchild and a lot of respect should be given to someone who had an idea and did something about it! The environment is a happy one - free snacks + lunch, festive holiday celebrations, annual Hackathon, and annual creative events to invite clients/friends to across the country. And if you are in NYC, look where you're working - in the Empire State Building. Baby, you're doing just fine! I'd also like to remind everyone that if you're a Shutterstock employee, you are most likely a grown adult! And therefore if there is something that needs sorting out, you have the right to fix the situation directly or connect with HR to bring to their attention if it is beyond your control. I have seen action taken in a few situations.

Cons

-SSTK needs to work faster on simplifying in-house systems. WAY too many programs. -If you don't like to do work, then this company isn't for you. -Love hate relationship with the free snacks :)

Advice to Management

Listen to trusted and loyal employees and take action when its needed. We're happy to be on the rocket ship with you, but in order to get to the next dimension, we need the right tools and fuel :)

Shutterstock2019-11-10

"Cautiously Optimistic"

Current Employee - Tech in New York, NY

I have been working at Shutterstock full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Salary is competitive 21 PTO days and 10 holidays The previous employee-hostile CFO and train-wreck of a CTO have left the company. Current tech leadership is pretty good, and actually care about the employees. There is a rare opportunity to start recovery from years of horrific upper management.

Cons

This opportunity could be wasted by bringing in another batch of Chief Officers to shake things up again. A history of changing priorities because of the C*O carousel has left us in the middle of several incomplete initiatives. There has been a history of chipping away at employee benefits, probably mostly due to the previous CFO. A lot of good talent has been forced out due to bad management and company direction. The resulting deservedly bad reviews have made hiring difficult. (Transparently fake HR reviews do not help.)

Advice to Management

Don't put a CFO in charge of employee benefits again. Principal Engineers should vet or veto any new CTO, also strongly consider promoting from within. Prioritize tech debt and actually completing migrations, not starting them. Quickly identify and lose managers who cause multiple employees to quit. (Use exit interviews intelligently.) Bring back remote-first culture and a permissive work from home policy, this broadens our talent pool and increases productivity, morale, and retention.

Shutterstock2019-11-06

"Great Place to Work At"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Montreal, QC

I have been working at Shutterstock full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great work environment in Montreal office A lot of effort is spent to make the everyday life at the office very engaging Constant small games, food treats , Wednesday lunches and events really help people to settle in and get to know others at work. Management here in Montreal is very approachable and do take a keen interest in the general well being of everyone I work in a remote team and it’s an added experience working with co workers in NY city, Dublin, Denver, India etc. You can to meet a lot of good talent from across the globe. There are a lot of challenges to tackle so definitely exciting to be in tech here. Good work life balance.

Cons

Would be good to have more leadership representation locally. On call duties can get hectic sometimes.

Shutterstock2019-11-01

"Do Not Apply"

Former Employee - Engineer in New York, NY

I worked at Shutterstock full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Summer Fridays and free water bottles

Cons

This place is a complete and utter joke . It is a revolving door of great talent being let go and most leaving on their own . I’ve never seen such high turnover at a company EVER . Managers do not know how to manage. HR is unfriendly and needs a new leader to change the non existent culture . Free lunch that is also served in prisons is not going to keep your employees nor are the free snacks . No one there is happy and everyone is secretly looking for a new job . Yes the positive reviews are written by HR employees but there are more negative than positive reviews. Please listen to the negative ones . Heavy meeting culture , not enough time to do your own work . No work from home policy at a tech company is ridiculous and shows they don’t care about work life balance / family life . Being forced to use PTO for sick days is insane ! Toxic work environment and fear instilled in whether or not your job is secure . STAY FAR AWAY!!

Advice to Management

Seek help

Shutterstock2019-10-31