Shutterstock Employee Reviews about "empire state building"

Updated Dec 10, 2020

3.3
Shutterstock CEO Stan Pavlovsky
Stan Pavlovsky
Pros
  • "Perks like free snacks, free lunch once a week , fitness benefits(in 59 reviews)

• "Working at the Empire State Building gets surreal sometimes if you are someone who has dreamt of working in the big apple(in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • "High turnover at all levels including leadership leads to frequent strategy changes(in 18 reviews)

• "Work/Life balance can be an issue but still manageable(in 17 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "empire state building"

Return to all Reviews

"Fresh leadership is steering the ship in the right direction."

5.0
    Current Employee - Platform Solutions in New York, NY

I have been working at Shutterstock full-time for more than a year

Pros

- great people, great team - office is the Empire State Building - Lunches - Fair compensation

Cons

- old company with dusty old bones. It can cause headaches, but fresh new leadership is changing that (well done L team). I’ve seen a huge improvement in open minds, risk taking, and strategic thinking, as well as new hires with technology and marketing backgrounds.

July 8, 2020Shutterstock

Thanks for the feedback! We’re so excited that you are having a great experience at Shutterstock. We’re so excited about the opportunities in front of us and proud of the progress we’re making every day to transform our business and create a better experience for our employees.

2. COVID-19

"Homogenous Hellhole"

• Diversity & Inclusion
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Shutterstock full-time for more than a year

Pros

Pre-COVID, a big draw was the office - the location is convenient and it's pretty cool to be able to say you work in the Empire State Building. Breakfast, lunch, snacks, and beverages all day erry day was a nice perk too. Many people are great and want to do great work. Others are well-intentioned but their execution leaves a lot to be desired. Comp is decent (depending on your role/function); 401k match is unparalleled (50% / now vested over 2 years).

Cons

"Leadership" is the company's own worst enemy. Decisions tend to be rather short-sighted and not all that well thought-out (i.e. key stakeholders left out discussions/decision-making processes and/or downstream effects are rarely considered). The company touts its commitment to diversity and inclusion yet repeatedly fails to demonstrate that with action or impact. BIPOC CANDIDATES BEWARE! Similarly, if you're looking for a company that lives by its principles, this is not that place.

February 10, 2021Shutterstock

Thanks for the feedback. As a current employee, we hope you take advantage of some of the avenues available to you to engage in productive discussion with our leaders directly. We encourage you to attend one of the Coffee Connections with our CHRO. She hosts these informal meetings so she can hear the valuable feedback of our employees and take action where needed. You can also take advantage of the Office Hours hosted by a number of our leaders to make sure key stakeholders are part of the discussion. Additionally, in regard to DEI, we know making a meaningful change doesn’t always happen overnight. But in the last few months, we have developed a DEI mission and strategy, we have increased diversity on the senior leadership team and on our Board, and we are building DEI into the overall company strategy (with expected outcomes). We have made changes to our recruitment practices and partnerships to attract a broader audience to Shutterstock. We’re finalizing the DEI training plan for all employees and leadership. We’re also hiring a Head of DEI to drive our DEI strategy. There are a lot of passionate people working on creating a more diverse and inclusive Shutterstock and we hope you will begin to see our progress.

3. COVID-19

"Decent place to work as a UX Designer but terrible leadership"

Former Employee - User Experience Designer in New York, NY

I worked at Shutterstock full-time for more than a year

Pros

Shutterstock was a decent workplace. The UX leadership was great and supportive. My colleagues were very pleasant to work with. The work life balance here was great and I enjoyed the little perks like summer Fridays. The pay isn't competitive for product design but had great 401K plans and a nice office. Working at the Empire State Building gets surreal sometimes if you are someone who has dreamt of working in the big apple.

Cons

What was actually depressing was the leadership. It's difficult working for a company and mission when you don't trust the leadership and you never feel like you're being supported. There was very little communication between leadership and employees. The work culture is very top down heavy so there were times when I had to drop everything and work on a random project or make sudden changes in decisions with very little context or transition. I've seen leadership fight in front of employees and make sudden random decisions. For instance, we were one day told that no one was allowed to WFH and several employees had to leave due to their circumstances. Or we'd see a big part of a department/org get let go. A lot of the decisions felt very meaningless and sudden to me and things were very chaotic. Not to mention that I've seen leadership change so many times in the time that I was there: 2 CEOs, 2 CTOs, 2 CFOs. It was also depressing to see the lack of diversity and talent in leadership. The future of a company doesn't seem bright when the leadership is uninspiring and mediocre. Which leads to my next point. There is 0 diversity in the work place. You probably have seen pictures on this platform even and noticed how there is no diversity. This isn't the greatest environment when there is very little room for diverse opinions and perspectives. How can one be foreword thinking and progressive if you aren't opened to diverse perspectives and people? It's not to say that it is a difficult time for Shutterstock given that content is cheap unlike 10/20 years ago. Shutterstock failed to be progressive to make adaptive business decisions and now is going through some tough times. Not forgetting to mention that Covid19 doesn't help. Nonetheless, Covid19 just expedited the failure of a bad businesses and I hope Shutterstock can bounce back up.

Continue reading

"Nice people, nice perks but turbulent times with unclear direction"

Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Shutterstock full-time

Pros

Nice people for the most part nice office (empire state building) Competitive salary Good benefits Summer Fridays

Cons

PTO is pretty average, especially considering that it includes sick leave but this year we do have summer Fridays which is nice It is unclear where the company is heading and the vision, this creates unnecessary friction, misalignment and confusion on what's truelly important.

August 14, 2020Shutterstock

Thank you for your feedback. Shutterstock is transforming its business in order to bring new value to our customers and sustained growth for the company. We have gone to great lengths to communicate how our business is evolving through various channels, including at our all-employee Company Updates, team meetings and regular communications from leadership. We have also created Office hours with many of our leaders, including our CTO and CPO, who are making themselves available to answer questions and have productive dialog with employees on any topic - including our vision. We suggest you take advantage of these opportunities to learn more and ask questions.

"There's good and bad; it is what you make of it"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Shutterstock full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

+ Free food and lots of events + Charity donation matching + Working in the Empire State Building is cool + Really smart, thoughtful, dedicated people in all sorts of departments

Cons

+ Disjointed planning makes everything feel rushed and like it's never fully done + The company has grown a lot and there are a lot of people in super specific roles that make it hard to work on projects without 20-person meetings

"Positive Vibes Only"

Current Employee - Sales in New York, NY

I have been working at Shutterstock full-time for less than a year

Pros

I have worked at a few large publicly traded companies and I'm surprised by some of the negative reviews of Shutterstock. You don't feel like a cog. I'm big on energy so I pay attention to vibes. I remember my first days at other companies I worked at, and recall walking in and just knowing I was going to hate it. I've NEVER felt like that at all here. Are there some things that need fixing, absolutely! But I truly believe SSTK is seriously taking the steps to improve its product and its talent. Jon O. (Founder/CEO) is present in the NYC office and I appreciate how that he is approachable and personable. SSTK is his brainchild and a lot of respect should be given to someone who had an idea and did something about it! The environment is a happy one - free snacks + lunch, festive holiday celebrations, annual Hackathon, and annual creative events to invite clients/friends to across the country. And if you are in NYC, look where you're working - in the Empire State Building. Baby, you're doing just fine! I'd also like to remind everyone that if you're a Shutterstock employee, you are most likely a grown adult! And therefore if there is something that needs sorting out, you have the right to fix the situation directly or connect with HR to bring to their attention if it is beyond your control. I have seen action taken in a few situations.

Cons

-SSTK needs to work faster on simplifying in-house systems. WAY too many programs. -If you don't like to do work, then this company isn't for you. -Love hate relationship with the free snacks :)

Continue reading

"mostly fabulous, a couple of harsh managers left this year"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer

I have been working at Shutterstock full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The 4 engineering teams that I frequently work with are wonderful, other teams seem good to great from the outside view. 401k matching (50%, no limit) is great, 21 days PTO is decent, the Empire State Building is a fun place to work, and there's a supportive attitude about telecommuting.

Cons

C level management is working on better transparency but isn't there yet. Overall company culture is uninspired, if improving. Upper management seems bottom-line driven where employees want a compelling mission and role models.

"Top NYC Tech Company"

5.0
    Current Employee - Software Engineer III in New York, NY

I have been working at Shutterstock full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

I don't even know how you "review" a 1,000+ person company. What I have found is each department is it's own experience and I've only experienced one first hand. The best I will be able to do is review the Tech department which is a large portion of those people. The Tech org is full of amazing people I enjoy working with every day. We have many interdisciplinary teams each with a designer, product, tech lead, developers, and SDET. Yearly road maps for each team consist of executive plans and the best ideas from the teams building the features. These road maps have always allowed me the time and flexibility to work on and polish features and code cleanup I have wanted to do. Since developers can develop from anywhere I've had the privilege of working from home any day I need to which is very helpful with doctors or parenting tasks. Shutterstock Tech is super duper remote friendly. Every meeting room has a TV with chrome box hooked up and every calendar event auto makes a google hangout/meet video link. It's just habit to join it and include whatever remote folk are in the meeting. This transfers greatly over to working from home as the habit are already in place to accommodate it. Remote folks are included in all tech events and meeting and swag is usually sent out in a timely manner. Shutterstock has always had many amenities that I have enjoyed even as they change over time. From great fruit for breakfast and on tap cold brew to daily lunches and snacks and a facilities staff always looking for good suggestions for lunch menus. There is also money for team events and lunches as well as fun in office food surprised along the way. There is a robust donation matching platform which I really love. There is also a private balcony in the empire state building office and though it can be windy it’s an amazing place to have lunch on nice days. The Shutterstock tech dept devs are always encouraged to find and solve issues around not only the tech stack but also the company. This has resulted in whiskey and tech talk sessions, open source hack meetups, multiple committees to improve different company functions, and lots of code fixes and cleanups all without it needing to be organized by upper management. There are many opportunities to advance in the tech department. Many advance to manager and above while others become high proficient in areas of knowledge and advance though different engineering levels. There is also opportunity to switch teams and work on different stacks and many take advantage of that.

Cons

A 15 year old company has many tech stacks that have not kept up with the times. Though there are some amazing new tech stacks in the works some teams are stuck working a bit with new code and a bit with old code. Depending on how you like to develop this can be frustrating. Because many teams are interdisciplinary it's very easy to get comfortable working just with your team which then makes cross organization projects seem bumpy as folk relearn how best to coordinate. Shutterstock often feels like a startup. Small interdisciplinary teams feed that startup feel. But Shutterstock has 1,000+ employees spread all over the world and has 15 years of code and apis and interdependencies. While small start ups can take great ideas and new practices and lunch them quickly Shutterstock is not a small startup any more. This just means that a lot more has to be accounted for when advocating those great new ideas and how large changes can affect different parts of the business in ways you might not expect. Certain teams work more with the older tech stack then others. My experience has been that certain devs enjoy the challenge of bending a older system to their will and other enjoy the new growth experience of a fresh tech stack. If you don't know which you like you might have a bad time when you find out which the team you are joining does more of. As with many companies communication between upper upper management and on the ground employees can get lost. This often leads to hearing about a decision second hand and it seemly making no sense. "Why would they do that?!" a common response to hearing about weird decisions. Though I have always found that once I track down the person in charge of the decision I do understand the roadblocks that exist and how the current decision was reached. Then even if I disagree with it the decision at least makes sense.

Continue reading

"Smoke, Mirrors and Hypocrisy"

Former Employee - Sales in New York, NY

I worked at Shutterstock full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great, central location (Empire State Building). Lunch catered everyday. Seamless available if you work past a certain hour. 2 game rooms. Small library. Kombucha on tap. Cold brew on tap. Tons of good people work there.

Cons

Morale seems to be at an all time low. The sales team seems to be extremely unhappy. By the time I left the company, each sales manager was an outside hire. Not one single Shutterstock employee was elevated to a managerial position. The company used to allow their employees to work remotely. The policy changed at some point in 2018 (they say having everyone in the office is important for cross-pollination of knowledge, although each time someone has an important call to make, they book a private conference room). The company would rather have talent quit than allowing them to work remotely (despite the large number of data readily available pro-remote work). A manager moved to our Denver office, but because his team is in NYC, they asked him to leave. At the same time, a DIRECTOR moved on Florida, where the company does not have an office, and there is no one else from her team in Florida, but she can stay. The company has become quite hypocritical, and people see it. People are unhappy, and scared to voice their concerns with fear of being retaliated. If you have another option during your job search, please consider taking the alternative. Shutterstock's no longer the great company it used to b

Continue reading

"The perfect place for people who want to do nothing"

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Shutterstock full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Great benefits (Best 401K I've ever heard of, free breakfast and lunch) - Awesome office (Empire State Building)

Cons

This is by far the least challenging job I ever had. I am bored out of my mind every single day (except at the end of the month when everyone starts freaking out and we actually need to do something). I typically find myself looking at the clock starting 10AM, if not earlier. My team has no processes in place for anything, and everyone just does something. We don't have team meetings, and my manager doesn't seem to care what we do all day. I know there are goals for the marketing team, but my team doesn't have any. It looks like we do, but it's all optics. My manager keeps our team out of everything, and says no to every idea any of us has. I was amazed by the turnover rate, especially for a company with such great benefits, but I get it now. It's an extremely demotivating working environment.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 36 English Reviews