Sid Harvey Industries Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Branch Manager"

Former Employee - Branch Manager
    Former Employee - Branch Manager

I worked at Sid Harvey Industries full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Easy going hands off management. They let you run your store the way you want to run it.

Cons

Corporate gets in the way of growth. They call you a manager but you need approval for the smallest things. management says grow the business but then corporate hinders the growth. sales forecasts seem to be put in place to keep you from getting bonus. I worked there for 4 years and received one bonus but I grew the business in sales and GP by 15-20% each year.

Advice to Management

Fix the gap between the stores and corporate. Consistency is the key to success. Stop getting in the way of stores growth. Oil might be big in Long Island but the rest of the world we do gas and electric. Get with the times. Update your stores. My store was falling apart and no one cared. Go to a competitor and there stores are clean neat and nice. Go to a sids and it's dark dirty and junky. That's what the customers say.

2. "So so"

I have been working at Sid Harvey Industries full-time

Pros

Easy to learn
    Helpful education
    No hassles with corporate for expected "numbers"
    Supportive at other locations

Cons

Very cheap
    Have to fight to get paid what competion is paying for the same job
    They would rather hire someone who knows nothing for $5 than someone with experience for $5.01
    Very outdated software
    Known for oil only
    Outdated locations

Advice to Management

If the building looks like its falling apart, renovate or move.

3. "Pricing"

Former Employee - Pricing in Garden City, NY
    Former Employee - Pricing in Garden City, NY

I worked at Sid Harvey Industries full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great team to work for - supervisors gave me autonomy to be creative in build pricing strategies and offered support on a multitude of tasks, small office environment, people who get promoted are deserving of promotions - no favoritism/tenure based promotions.

Cons

Low pay - far below the industry average for what I did, some bullying VPs and sales staff (majority of people were pleasant to deal with), outdated systems - most other companies use a SAP ERP system but company still uses an outdated AS400 system.

Advice to Management

Focus more on employee retention than expanding product line - my team's involvement raised the bottom line margin by several points by implementing simple changes for instance.

4. "Boring and outdated place to work"

Former Employee - Purchasing Agent in Garden City, NY
    Former Employee - Purchasing Agent in Garden City, NY

I worked at Sid Harvey Industries full-time (More than a year)

Pros

steady pay, looks good on a resume, location close to parkways

Cons

VERY outdated offices... borderine embrassing. Computer screens from the mid 90s. no ability to work from home. very very low pay. benefits are nothing great. training is below average. high turnover rate,the only people that are there are "lifers" and always say to younger employees to "get out while you can". very bland and boring co-workers that dress and act like its 1995. no break room at corporate office. in the tiny room that is considered one they actually wrote a note by the plastic cups that say "cups are for guests only". never ask for the wifi password, they will scaled you and think it is for personal use on the clock even though if you have lunch at your desk you will have no wifi on your phone and every website is locked on you work computor. training is below average.

Advice to Management

see cons

5. "Laborer"

Former Employee - General Laborer in Crestwood, Cook, IL
    Former Employee - General Laborer in Crestwood, Cook, IL

I worked at Sid Harvey Industries part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You will answer phones, pull orders, drive the truck or load/unload the tractor trailors

Cons

Some people who wanna buy products get mad when they don't have a business card

6. "Manager"

Current Employee - Branch Manager
    Current Employee - Branch Manager

Pros

Thriving sales, non-stop business - big in both A/C and Gas Heat/Boilers so the seasons run together with no real slow time of year aside from September & March. Year-round refrigeration sales. Tremendous freedom, support from Corporate for Vendor training. Competitive Pay and support (when it is asked for)

Cons

Corporate involvement is minimal, no centralized sales force or product management. "Fend for you Branch", all Training, store Layout, new products, solely up to branch managers discretion. It's not that all of these things are not available, it is hard to know exactly what to ask for.

Advice to Management

Corporate Product & sales support and training would be very beneficial. New product team reaching out to stores. In-house Technical support/training.

7. "Counter Sales"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I worked at Sid Harvey Industries full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It is steady employment in a steady field. There are also people in this company who have tons of experience to learn from.

Cons

The pay is not equal to market for similar positions and experience, and raises are out of the question. There's also little to no upward mobility. The equipment is outdated.
    I would say one of the biggest challenges is the disconnect between corporate and it's branches.

Advice to Management

It seems like management tried to do their best with what little resources their are provided to run the branches. I'm not sure what advice I'd give.

8. "Ok"

I have been working at Sid Harvey Industries full-time (More than a year)

Pros

work with some good people

Cons

outdated materials, bad pay, sometimes slow moving

Advice to Management

Update facilities, pay employees better

9. "manager"

I have been working at Sid Harvey Industries full-time

Pros

Good hours, limited weekends and most holidays off.

Cons

Low pay, no training, no supervision, poor communication between store and with management. Confusion about duties. As a manager I am told to go out and drive sales in my are. I believe that is the job of an outside sales rep.

Advice to Management

Realize business model in New York does not work well in other parts of country. Make sure all RSM are on same page and not 'Doing their own thing."

10. "Not a bad place to work, just boring."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Garden City, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Garden City, NY

Pros

Private company, no other outstanding reasons.

Cons

Sr. management slow to respond to branch needs.

Advice to Management

Hire sales oriented branch managers or train them to be more customer focused.