Sid Wainer & Son Reviews | Glassdoor

1. Featured Review

"Sales"

Current Employee - Sales in New Bedford, MA
    Current Employee - Sales in New Bedford, MA

I have been working at Sid Wainer & Son full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I love working for this company! I have never had another job where I can see myself staying for an extended period of time. When I got this job, I was certain I would be back in the kitchen in no time but it turns out I cannot picture myself anywhere else. The company rewards hard work and dedication and I have advanced in my position since starting here. The work is difficult but also highly rewarding. We have an amazing inventory that in many cases cannot be found anywhere else in the world! Products are sourced with the utmost integrity and standards, making any employee beam with pride. Working here you know you are part of something and we are growing every day in to something even bigger. The opportunities are endless!

Cons

Parking can be difficult... And that is only because I have to find something.

Advice to Management

Never underestimate the power of a positive attitude!

Aug 24, 2017

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. As a family-owned business in New Bedford, MA, we understand the importance of our employees' needs and try our best to make them our top priority... More

"Former sales team member, left in 2003. If interested in food sales, look to other companies for a first step"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in New Bedford, MA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in New Bedford, MA

I worked at Sid Wainer & Son full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Sid Wainer's product line is very expansive. Henry Wainer & family are extremely passionate about what they've created over the many years. There's a high degree of forward thinking in how to close the procurement gap, evident by the farming operation in Dartmouth, MA. Even a recent drop-in to their outlet shows that there's always some product to be added to one of their private label brands. Does carry produce or specialty food items from well-vetted & highly respected farms & producers.

Cons

During my tenure, the ridiculously low pay scale across the entire company was the greatest issue. Way below comparable market value in all operational areas. When my employment began, a non-compete/NDA agreement needed to be executed. This was a legal, binding document, which after signing I was not furnished with a copy of. This is illegal as per the statues in the Comm. of MA. When I requested my copy, it was met with great suspicion. Anywhere else, it would have been promptly provided.

Second was the pricing of products. Many of the items were very expensive and a hard sell when the competition was selling comparable or better products for less. This seems to still be the case.

Third, the sales training program at the time was laughable. No real sales training whatsoever. 'Training' was more on how to answer the phone, what not to say, and how to use the order entry systems. Basic sales 101 on how to up sell items, how to create and use phone scripts, or even how to prospect were totally absent.

And building on the prior point, there was absolutely no transparency on how each sales person was doing on their YTD sales numbers. It was extremely vague. Only by reviewing each account could you get a rough (60-grit rough) idea of what had been sold to date. There was no way to figure out what were the low vs. high commission items sold.

Lastly, there was and most likely still exists an culture of mixed messages from management down. You could do no wrong in front of co-workers at an A.M. meeting, only to be dressed down promptly at 2 P.M. There was a lot of ego from the CEO, Henry in his messaging to employees and the occasional (albeit amusing) outbursts when no one drank the Kool-Aid. Yes, it's his company, however there's always a way to treat employees with fairness. He lost many great sales reps during and after my departure. Hopefully with the next generation of family coming into the enterprise, this behavior will be ushered out.

Advice to Management

Not sure if there have been changes since 2003, and it would be refreshing to hear if there's been a shift in the overall paradigm. It's a good company with a number of great offerings. Know where your core business exists, pay & treat your employees fairly, listen to what the reps are reporting from the field & don't accost them for bringing news either good or bad.

Probably the most important item above all else is to keep personal ego out of the business. There were a number of deals that went South due primarily to this one reason. Neither vendor nor employee will put up with ego when they're overpaying for product or underpaid for their time.

3. "GREAT PLACE TO WORK"

Current Employee - Anonymous in New Bedford, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in New Bedford, MA

I have been working at Sid Wainer & Son full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great place to work with a lot of opportunity for advancement but you have to be willing to work hard. The Wainer family is always talking to the employees to get a feel for the company.

Cons

Sid Wainer is open 24/7 so be ready to work weekends and holidays.

Advice to Management

Make sure to keep listening to the employees as they are the company.

Aug 24, 2017

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We recognize and appreciate our team for their hard work, dedication and commitment to providing optimal customer service!

4. "Okay"

Pros

Benifits, people, free food, location

Cons

people, owners children, pay, pace

Advice to Management

run it like a company not a family meeting.

Aug 11, 2017

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We are committed to remaining a family owned business in New Bedford, MA, however, our business is ever evolving as we continue to change over... More

"Bad times"

Former Employee - Inventory Associate in New Bedford, MA
    Former Employee - Inventory Associate in New Bedford, MA

I worked at Sid Wainer & Son full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A lot of hours available in summer

Cons

Abusive management dangerous conditions in warehouse untrained forklift drivers .

Advice to Management

Stop abusing the employees constantly

Aug 11, 2017

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We take great pride in our new state of the art, safety conscious warehouse, which was recently opened in February 2017. We take all safety issues... More

6. "Challenging"

Current Employee - Order Selector in New Bedford, MA
    Current Employee - Order Selector in New Bedford, MA

I have been working at Sid Wainer & Son full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

There is plenty of room for advancement , the pay structure has improved , the company is investing in its work force through incentives, training and employee appreciation, plus there is a new facility on the way which will help the staff work smarter not harder.

Cons

What I consider pros some would consider cons. It can be long hours in a cold environment but I enjoy a challenge. Admittedly it is not for everyone , but if you enjoy a challenge and want to be recognized for your hard work this is the place for you.

Advice to Management

Keep the improvements going that have been seen over the past 5 years or so. It has become a much better place to work. I now feel I can definitely recommend to a friend or family member.

Aug 11, 2017

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We continue to grow, expand and, therefore, change. As you stated, change is not bad; it provides opportunity for growth and challenges. We hope... More

7. "Warehouse Operations"

Current Employee - Management in New Bedford, MA
    Current Employee - Management in New Bedford, MA

I have been working at Sid Wainer & Son full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

This is a company where you can succeed through hard work and dedication. There are many long term employees here and, with few exceptions, all of the leadership and management positions from Lead to Senior Vice President were filled and promoted from within. Myself personally, I started as part-time and advanced to a high level management position within four years. The owners of the company and senior management (as well the entire management team) are committed to making this company the number one place of employment on the South Coast in terms of the employee experience which is evidenced by the huge investments they are making in people and property. Just drive by and look at the construction going on and see for yourself.

Cons

The cold environment in the warehouse is not for everyone.

Advice to Management

Continue on the path we are on and ensure that all employees are aware of our goals and we will all work together to achieve those goals.

Aug 11, 2017

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We are committed to ensuring our organization is working together toward our ‘true north goals” and focused on the shared vision: a passion for... More

8. "Ware house"

Pros

Satisfying work environment, always noticed for your achievements, hard working staff.

Cons

Lots of chaos due to construction

Aug 11, 2017

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We agree the construction did create some challenges. We would like to thank our employees for sticking it out while we continued to expand, grow... More

9. "Sales rep"

Pros

Good environment. Great stepping stone in to the business side of hospitality.

Cons

Need more defined metrics for reps.

Aug 11, 2017

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. Over the past, two years we have implemented a key performance indicator metric program for all of our sales representatives. We strive to continue... More

10. "Outlet"

Former Employee - Cashier in New Bedford, MA
    Former Employee - Cashier in New Bedford, MA

I worked at Sid Wainer & Son full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Customers are great and so are the people you work with (if they aren't higher up.) there really isn't much more to write here.

Cons

Pay rate is really low
    They don't care about their employees
    A lot of illegal stuff happens here
    They make you do more work than what you are paid for.
    They don't care about their employees
    DONT WORK HERE

Advice to Management

Actually care about your employees.

Aug 11, 2017

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We agree, our customers and employees are top notch! We take these issue very seriously and we want to improve the situation. Glassdoor reviews are... More