Sidley Austin Reviews | Glassdoor

3.9
Michael Schmidtberger

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

1. "Associate (Palo Alto)"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Sidley Austin full-time

Pros

Great culture, small team, close-knit community, excellent growth opportunities, interesting deals, good client exposure and mentoring. I highly recommend it.

Cons

I can’t think of any! This office is growing rapidly. I really do not have anything else to add. I just hope that they will keep up the good work.

2. "Legal Secretary Trainee/Special Assignment Secretary/Legal Secretary"

I have been working at Sidley Austin full-time

Pros

Great firm. They really take care of their employees. Offering amazing benefits and always fun extra events here and there. Everyone is very friendly!

Cons

Departments are somewhat very segregated

3. "Billing Specialist"

I have been working at Sidley Austin full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits are great for all hourly and salary positions

Cons

Negative department environment and no availability to work from home (for staff)

"Good people but understaffed. Administration is not addressing cause of high turnover among younger employees."

Pros

Good people. Staff works hard and takes pride in good service. really good benefits. The kind of stuff you don’t appreciate when you are young, but is appreciated more as you get older.

Cons

Not enough attention paid to hiring and retaining new people and younger staff. Younger people want a positive environment and have the freedom to go elsewhere if they aren’t happy.

Advice to Management

With a staff that’s aging out, things have to change to attract and keep smart people with the kind of energy that’s needed in today’s office. If not, there’s no continuity and the firm will suffer in the long run.

"Business Support"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Sidley Austin full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Opportunities for professional development, the department is well staffed so there are always good resources. Promotions happen if you are working hard and deserve it. People who say otherwise likely aren't performing well.

There is generous vacation time and standard benefits. The lawyers I support are nicer and more respectful than I would have guessed. As a woman I've never felt intimidated or undervalued for being so. Definitely a safe a respectful work environment.

Work life balance is surprisingly good. In at 920am and I'm the first one here. Only have to stay late on occasion.

Cons

The firm boasts collegiality - it is like a buzz word and I heard it 3+ times during my interview, yet it couldn't be further from the truth. The department likes to send you in circles when you need something, no one wants to do their own job, and there are zero staff appreciation parties, events or anything. As mentioned in other posts, lawyer benefits are great but staff are lacking - maternity leave is minimal for such a prestigious firm that can certainly afford it. Would also be excellent to have work from home opportunities. The culture is very against that.

Advice to Management

Grow with the times but overall I am pretty happy.

6. "Manager"

I worked at Sidley Austin full-time

Pros

Good place to work great people

Cons

Flat company with not much upward movement

"Hidden Toxicity Abounds"

Former Employee - Legal Secretary in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Legal Secretary in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Sidley Austin full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice offices, good benefit packages, nice walkabout around pond behind office, and cafeteria nearby for reduced-cost breakfast and lunch. Lots of training when needed and as requested.

Cons

Politics and cliques throughout the office and peer-to-peer discussions are not encouraged even though so many issues could be handled without further management involvement. Not all support staff are treated equally and with the same level of respect and autonomy. There are “favorites” and that makes it difficult to feel like you’re being treated fairly - even if your work speaks for itself.

Advice to Management

Review process is antiquated, and having to click in and out for work and lunches makes you feel like you’re a kindergartener that isn’t trusted.

8. "Great Company"

I have been working at Sidley Austin full-time

Pros

The best part are the people .

Cons

Not available to comment. I like everything here.

"Management needs to improve dramatically"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Sidley Austin full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

New coffee machines are ok I suppose.

Cons

Currently working here so not a disgruntled employee, the management is horrendous. Job roles are not clear, 100% silos between departments, and the office politics is unbearable. Everyone feels entitled and no one is capable of assuming responsibility. You will get thrown under the bus at the first opportunity.

Culture is non existent. There are no team building events, no sense of collegiality, and if you’re not a lawyer, you’re quickly disregarded.

Advice to Management

Conduct management training. Engage your employees so that we actually want to be at work. Job functions are not clear whatsoever and there is no sense of direction.

10. "Great Place to Get Exposure to Law"

I have been working at Sidley Austin full-time

Pros

A good amount of mentoring and attorneys are wonderful to work with. They give you lots of good work and are happy to explain things.

Cons

A lot of hours; Not the best work/life balance