Sidley Austin "long hours" Reviews | Glassdoor

Sidley Austin Employee Reviews about "long hours"

Updated Oct 24, 2019

4.7
Sidley Austin CEO Michael Schmidtberger  (no image)
Michael Schmidtberger
Pros
  • "Great benefits, wonderful working environment(in 23 reviews)

• "That creates a very woman-friendly and family-friendly atmosphere and very good work-life balance(in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • "Sometimes have to work long hours or over the weekend, but that's the case with all law firms and most big corporations(in 29 reviews)

• "Lots of work, but for a Law Firm a that is always a good thing(in 24 reviews)

Reviews about "long hours"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Great Place to Work!"

Current Employee - Associate in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Sidley Austin full-time for less than a year

Pros

Truly a collegial environment. From Partners to mid-levels to the administrative staff, all are interested in your success and in the success of the firm.

Cons

Sometimes long hours. The work load for associates can vary quite a bit depending on the project and client needs. However, work can be done from home in evenings and on weekends.

Advice to Management

None at this point. Management is doing a terrific job.

Sidley Austin2019-10-24
  2. "Excellent Place to work"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Sidley Austin full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Amazing benefits Very generous with time off I've made life long friends in my colleagues here I feel my managers genuinely care about me

Cons

Sometimes have to work long hours or over the weekend, but that's the case with all law firms and most big corporations.

Advice to Management

Continue to do things for staff to make them feel appreciated. It is noticed and helps make you feel valued.

Sidley Austin2019-10-22
  3. Create your profile to get personalized information

4. "The Sidley Difference"

Current Employee - Administrative in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Sidley Austin full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Sidley is hands down the best place I have ever worked and here are just a few of the reasons why… -interesting, challenging work with inspiring leadership -opportunities to grow, develop and thrive -strong focus on training at all levels -committed to supporting health and well-being of all -no exclusion between attorneys and staff, team environment -team collaboration and available resources to get job... done - lots of fun, yes really in a law firm -creative office-wide events and events that involve families, too -people who really care about, support and encourage each other These are some of the things that make up the Sidley difference.

Cons

No doubt we work in a stressful, fast paced legal industry that some days require long hours, but Sidley is mindful of that and works hard to strike the right balance.

Advice to Management

Thank you for always looking out for everyone - at all levels.

Sidley Austin2019-10-16
  5. "Good name for your resume"

Current Employee - Paralegal

I have been working at Sidley Austin full-time

Pros

Really good for your resume

Cons

Long hours, not able to work remotely

Sidley Austin2019-09-17
  6. "Female-friendly, family-friendly, high quality of work"

Current Employee - Associate in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Sidley Austin full-time for more than a year

Pros

(Review is focused on the Dallas office) This is one of the only offices in all of BigLaw that has a majority of women attorneys, including a majority of partners. That creates a very woman-friendly and family-friendly atmosphere and very good work-life balance. This is one of the most collegial atmospheres of anywhere I have ever worked. People are genuinely friends and socialize outside of work. Attorneys... (including juniors) take vacations frequently and most people come in late or go home early or work from home as their schedule permits. The partners are all approachable and respectful (you're not going to find a partner screaming and berating a junior for making a mistake). All of this without sacrificing quality of work, which is top notch. Nine- and ten- figure deals/litigation is the norm, not the exception. Compensation is market and bonus targets are transparent. Exit opportunities are as good as it gets, and management is very supportive and helpful in placing people in house. Support staff are very respected and well taken care of. If you're okay with the rigors of Big Law, this is a great place to do it.

Cons

It is a Big Law firm, so hours are long and expectations are high. Late nights and weekend work are common, as expected. There are also big differences between practice group cultures (and definitely between offices). Some groups require more face time or have a higher stress atmosphere than others. Benefits are mediocre, especially the cost of health insurance and lack of 401k matching.

Advice to Management

In the Dallas office, work on the culture of the litigation group. They are losing valuable talent at an alarming rate. The other groups bill at the same level but have a more laid-back and social culture, and with the amazing lit partners we have, there's no reason lit can't be the same. Firmwide, the commitment to diversity could be better. Management always seems to take the approach of "we're better than... other firms, so we are fine." We still have a lot of work to do, even if we're ahead of our peers. Affinity group programming and mentorship is rare, at least in Dallas. It's great that we approach diversity organically, but formal programs can still be very beneficial. We're doing a good job of recruiting diverse first-year attorneys, but we need to make sure we can keep them once they're here.

Sidley Austin2019-08-26
  7. "Great Place to Work"

Former Employee - Paralegal

I worked at Sidley Austin full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great work environment, interesting cases. Attys all very respectful.

Cons

Big law hours, long hours

Sidley Austin2019-07-26
  8. "Excellent place to learn the profession."

Former Employee - Associate

I worked at Sidley Austin full-time

Pros

Sophisticated work, excellent mentors, really really sharp colleagues, and an overall team-spirited approach to a demanding profession.

Cons

Long hours, of course, and it can be difficult to set work/life boundaries.

Sidley Austin2019-07-19
  9. "Great Firm"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Chicago, IL

I worked at Sidley Austin full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great reputation and culture of strong customer service.

Cons

Typical for large law firms—long hours

Sidley Austin2019-06-04

"Project Assistant"

I worked at Sidley Austin full-time

Pros

Working with a very committed and talented group of individuals.

Cons

Your typical big law firm issues: - long hours, little pay -very hierarchical -lack of respect to staff -tough billable goals

Sidley Austin2018-12-21
  11. "Great firm!"

I worked at Sidley Austin

Pros

Great work environment and coworkers!

Cons

Long hours, but depends what group you're in!

Sidley Austin2018-07-25