Sidoti & Company Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.6
Peter T. Sidoti

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "great work-life balance"

I have been working at Sidoti & Company full-time

Pros

Terrific opportunity to work with smart people at the firm, with institutional investor clients and management teams. The ability to work remotely enables an improved work-life balance and reduces travel time and costs. New revenue streams (CSR and conferences) are helping.

Cons

Sell-side equity research is admittedly a tough business.

Advice to Management

Leverage your people (and most are seasoned employees) wisely to maximize their experiences.

2. "A great opportunity"

Current Employee - Institutional Sales
    Current Employee - Institutional Sales

I have been working at Sidoti & Company full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I started at Sidoti when I was 24. Our Founder and CEO Peter Sidoti has given me a tremendous amount of opportunity. Sidoti & Co provides research and valuable insight on profitable public equities that for one reason or another, are ignored by the rest of the sell-side community. We run a solid, niche business. Peter created the firm in 1999 and along with our President Marie Conway, has built a brand that is unrivaled in the micro and small-cap world. Our core analysts do a great job finding and covering underfollowed growth companies which our sales force utilizes to generate value with our institutional clients across the US. I am lucky to be a part of an organization that I feel provides a differentiated product in an area of the equity research market where few other firms will go. Peter has continued to emphasize our focus on what we do best: small-cap. We have many smart and talented employees who make my life easier on a daily basis. As an institutional sales rep, I have the opportunity to work with two groups of very bright and accomplished individuals. I interact daily with the portfolio managers, analysts and other employees of our mutual fund, hedge fund and pension fund client base. I also travel regularly with the C-level executives of our companies under coverage. All of these people are much smarter than I am. I try to remind myself often how much knowledge surrounds the business we run. I place a great deal of value on the opportunity to be around and learn from professional investors, company executives, our equity research analysts and our senior management.

Cons

Change in the world of finance is perpetual and unfortunately, we are in a period of headwinds. There are a number of secular topics facing equity research - MiFID, the rise of low cost index funds/ ETFs, and continued consolidation in many industries which has led to a reduction in the number of public companies. Sidoti is focused on winning profitably in our core business and also changing and growing in new areas to provide stability. But we need to move faster and truly align incentives with this transition. During this period of change we must do all that we can to incentivize our best people to not only stay, but also improve. We all need to do more and expand our reach because that is how we will take share now and when things turn. And one day, when we least expect it, they will.

Advice to Management

My suggestion for management is to focus on achievable incentives for employees across the firm to offer them visibility into what they need to do to move forward over time. Your best people will hit those marks. As they do, that will correlate closely with the long-term success of the firm.

3. "Great Company"

I have been working at Sidoti & Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Passionate management committed to moving the business forward despite industry headwinds. Access to world class investors and c-level management teams. Flexible environment. Great conferences. There are a lot of great, smart people working at Sidoti.

Cons

Tough environment for sell-side research. Occasional long travel days.

Advice to Management

Continue being open to change. Support your key people and encourage new employees. Hold people responsible. Continue expanding the firm.

4. "Great Place to Work"

I have been working at Sidoti & Company full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible work schedule, friendly environment, open to suggestions on growth and change.

Cons

Sometimes requires long hours... not sure this is really a con, because every job requires that on occasion.

"ANALYST"

I worked at Sidoti & Company full-time

Pros

The firm provides professional development for those inexperienced in equity research .

Cons

Wow...what not to say. As a former employee who has moved on to greener pastures (where companies actually understand the concept of equity research) this firm is a laughingstock across Wall St. "Management " is a joke, captained by the company's feckless leader Peter Sidoti. Peter is an insecure, emotionally unstable, out of touch, loudmouth, blowhard bully (and this is being kind). His petulant and random outbursts and tantrums severely damage team morale and undermine a constructive working atmosphere, which is a shame because the firm does have some talent.

President Marie Conway is a do nothing sycophant who is basically a glorified editor making $1mn+ a year (check the figures on the co's FAILED IPO filing). She provides absolutely no positive guidance to new employees and is on her way out the door at 4:05 to catch her pilates clsss.

Base pay is an absolute joke compared to reputable firms and bonuses are promised but never fully paid, as there is always some excuse about "business conditions " or caveats on performance.

Net/net this place is a junkshow that should be avoided at all costs. Newbies would be better served studying and paying personally for CFA exam to get foot in door than entering these depths of hell.

Advice to Management

Close shop and spare others the misery in which you wallow.

6. "Sales"

Current Employee - Marketing in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Marketing in New York, NY

I have been working at Sidoti & Company (Less than a year)

Pros

access to sell side experience and brilliant research analysts

Cons

the company has let some good people get away because they have not been open to feedback that could help drive new revenue opportunities.

7. "Sidoti & Company"

Former Employee - Equity Sales in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Equity Sales in New York, NY

I worked at Sidoti & Company full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Worked here for 5 years. If you're able to open an account or two you will quickly be able to grow your book of business. Direct exposure to the sharpest small cap investors in the country and C Level executives.

Cons

Equity research is a much tougher business now than it once was

8. "A Great Experience"

Pros

I have been at Sidoti for 11 years. The amount I have learned and the relationships I have built over that span are invaluable. The biggest pro for Sidoti is the exposure you get to the equity research industry. The industry is in a transitional period and thus times have been difficult but I expect Sidoti will manage the downturn and emerge better at the other end.

Cons

The biggest con would be the structural change in the equity research business.

Advice to Management

Send employees quarterly statements to help them understand the bigger picture of cost and opportunity.

"A Great Place To Build A Career On Wall Street"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

I have been have been employed at the company for more than 10 years and think it is a great place to start and develop a career on Wall Street. You have the opportunity to assume a lot of responsibility immediately and the small size of the firm allows for much interaction and learning with management, senior analysts, salespeople, and traders. The compensation is performance based and everyone gets a fair shot at being paid a bonus. The CEO, Peter Sidoti, is very driven and passionate about the company and his employees. He wants everyone to be successful and his door is always open. Management has done a great job weathering the difficult market environment and the company is still very much in a growth mode.

Cons

Management is sometimes not aggressive enough in terminating under-performing employees.

"What a shame"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

There are still some very experienced, talented analysts left at Sidoti. I hope they eventually find a decent home. They helped to build a firm that was once one to be proud of.

Cons

Unfortunately, the fine employees of this company have to labor mightily under the toxic yoke of an unstable tyrant. Unreasonable dictates, constant threats and a steady drumbeat of psychological abuse reign in lieu of even-keeled leadership and adult communication. Childish emotional outbursts create a volatile and anxiety-ridden workplace environment that undermine the staff's ability to function professionally and enjoy a healthy human existence. Management wields the weak job market like a cudgel to bludgeon the staff into a malleable mash of poor collective self-esteem. These crude, Stalinesque tactics may keep the workflow moving but at the great expense of many employees becoming clinically depressed, in my view. Given management's ham-handed and psychologically grotesque labor practices, this company is badly in need of a Union!

Advice to Management

I'm worried about you. Everybody knows that it's unprofessional to bad mouth current and former employees. It's really not a healthy practice. For Pete's sake, how many enemies can one person make in a lifetime? I'm told that this type of behavior often reflects a deep-seated and sad insecurity in one's personality, sometimes due to childhood trauma. Get some help. You can change! Rather than spreading fear and anxiety via petulant temper tantrums, consider taking a deep breath, or maybe doing some Yoga or eating a healthy lunch. Salads are nice. Come on buddy, take that frown and turn it around.