Siegel+Gale Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.2
David Srere & Howard Belk

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • You will learn the S&G methods well (in 20 reviews)

• Smart, nice and unstoppable can truly describe the employees at S (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Maintaining work-life balance can be challenging, especially in the 4th quarter (in 9 reviews)

• There are long hours and tight deadlines (in 5 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"A great place with great opportunities!"

Current Employee - Management Accountant in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Management Accountant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Siegel+Gale full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Everyone here at S+G are dedicated to getting the job done to the very highest standard meaning it really does bring out the best in everyone. Opportunities to grow within are endless, and with the opportunity to travel the world, this makes it a really rewarding place to work.
    There is lots of cross team collaboration meaning you learn all aspects of the business and industry.
    Very social with weekly drinks, monthly celebrations and quarterly social events.

Cons

No major cons when compared to other places I've worked!

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing and don't forget the little guys!

2. "Associate Director, Brand Communication"

I have been working at Siegel+Gale full-time

Pros

- A lot of opportunity as long as you make it happen
    - The ability to learn about different industries and companies
    - A collection of smart, nice and unstoppable co-workers

Cons

- Travel can be demanding
    - Pace is fast and some people sink
    - A general feeling that if you're not running around with your head cut off, you don't have enough to do

Advice to Management

- More of an emphasis on work/life balance would be welcome

3. "Great people and client list"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Siegel+Gale (More than a year)

Pros

Full of incredibly smart people who are actually friendly and down-to-earth as well. Very impressive client list consisting of mostly Fortune 500-quality companies.

Cons

Although working with primarily blue chip clients is great at times and is certainly a resume builder, it would be great to work with more smaller, scrappier clients, which often comes with broader opportunity to stretch your creative muscle.

"Mkgt"

I worked at Siegel+Gale full-time

Pros

great clients smart people cool offices good vacation

Cons

poor management, no growth not fun or nice

"Simple is Boring"

I worked at Siegel+Gale full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Location. Easy, as in not challenging.

Cons

Lacks creative direction and innovative, game-changing thought leadership. Chaotic project management.

"Great place to learn and grow"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

- Ample opportunity to learn and grow as a professional
    - Warm, supportive colleagues and mentors abound
    - World-class client list
    - Flexible work environment/treats employees like adults
    - Dedication to simplicity ethos and company values (smart, nice and unstoppable)
    - Positive movement toward embracing digital/brand experience in the past 2 years

Cons

- Maintaining work-life balance can be challenging, especially in the 4th quarter

7. "Challenging and supportive with room to grow"

Current Employee - Senior Strategist in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Strategist in New York, NY

I have been working at Siegel+Gale full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Reliable, kind people and challenging work at the perfect sized company--not so big you get lost in the machine but not so small that there aren't ample opportunities to move up and grow.

Cons

If you're looking for a "boutique" experience with clients who are small, exciting start-ups, this isn't the place for you. Clients tend to be corporate powerhouses, but I've always been encouraged to do daring work and push boundaries, even if it's not what the client ultimately buys.

Advice to Management

The "general population" is hungry for a clear explanation of the path forward, especially in light of recent team reorganizations--and not necessarily bad ones.

"Changing industry culture means a changing work culture"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Siegel+Gale full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I worked at Siegel+Gale with some of the smartest, nicest, and most unstoppable people for over 2 years. In that time I learned an enormous amount about branding, marketing, strategic thinking and great design. I was able to build a tremendous body of work, and I understand the dynamics and intricacies of agency work all the more since my time at S+G.

Cons

Like many other reviews here refer to: Siegel+Gale is immensely siloed and it was the one great hang-up of my time there, chiefly because my job involved interacting with each and every department across a global company, regularly—and this made things very, very, very difficult for my workaday life. My duties were often obstructed by management gamesmanship, interpersonal conflicts from department to department, and a distinct "heads-down" mentality that is not only unhealthy, but frankly surprising in a 21st century organization. Much of S+G's work rests on a legacy of work that existed before the disruption of "digital"—and that's perhaps the biggest issue with the company. "Digital" should not be in quotes, even in conversation, and while management made a move to start staffing this focus-specific talent, you could see them walking around with the quotation marks hanging above their heads, indicating that while these people could "do" digital, they "were not" digital. Digital is an operative workflow and orientation that should not be "first" but baked into everything that the company conceives for clients, even if they're asking for more traditional work—digital is everything we do now, as people, in business and as brands. This fear of operating within the arena of how branding, marketing and advertising is done now is not only repellant to talent that would otherwise want to work at a company like S+G, but makes the company look dated, slow-to-act, and ultimately unimpressive in the client consideration set. It is by far the biggest reason S+G loses work to rivals, and one of the most telling reasons why employees cite a culture of silos and internal competition that turns them away from what is an otherwise "good" company. The industry has changed, which means the culture of a company must change with it—and for that reason, the culture of S+G is one of the biggest cons. It's not about digital; but it is about making employees feel at home in the work they do through cultural stimulation and education, cross-departmental workshops that allow other competencies and groups to give input on both work and direction of the firm, and a commitment by upper management to look at the causes of cultural dissonance within the organization, rather than just diagnosing them and hoping they fix themselves. Across the whole of the company, management needs to take a hard look at itself in the mirror and reassess how they prioritize new business over cultural advancement within the company—only then will the whole firm move forward as a singular entity rising to meet the challenge of a changed work and employee culture.

Advice to Management

My sole advice to management is listen to the people you hire—in fact, ask them regularly and intently, "What is it we can be doing better as individuals and as a firm?"—and listen (I can't stress this enough) to what they have to say. Too much focus on bottom line erodes employee confidence in what is otherwise a very interesting and compelling career category. And rather than hold "Town Hall"-style updates on the firms progress, try and conversationalize it (rather than holding a Q&A at the end)—talk with your people, and listen to your people, because this is a business about people. They are your greatest asset, and if you want to hold onto them, management needs to do a better job of hearing what they have to say about the business.

9. "Great"

I worked at Siegel+Gale full-time

Pros

Really smart people
    Great work
    Excellent research

Cons

Groups can be very siloed

"SMART, NICE and UNSTOPPABLE - INSIDE + OUT."

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Siegel+Gale full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Smart, nice and unstoppable. With one click, those 3 words not only caught my attention but ignited the start to my journey at Siegel+Gale (S+G). Reading on, “In every one of our offices, you’ll find the simple secrets to our success: People who have found their purpose. Teams that are encouraged to collaborate. All kinds of thinkers, dreamers and builders who are naturally both creative and strategic.”

Simply put, the best part about working at Siegel+Gale is the people. My decision to join the S+G team was sparked by the evident passion that resonated with me as I interviewed with each and every person that I'd be working with in my role. What began as a job search has flourished into a brand new adventure that I feel grateful to embark upon with the most incredible people. Combining my forte for business, marketing and tech to connect and empower people is where I have found my purpose. I couldn't have selected a better company to invest my time and talent into.

Cons

This is a tough question. There isn’t a con I can identify but rather Siegel+Gale’s culture is built to empower those who are truly smart, nice and unstoppable. Siegel+Gale (S+G) sets the industry standard when it comes to global brand strategy, design and experience, so the one thing that is constant is innovating the way the firm unlocks the power of simplicity to help organizations realize their full potential. To thrive at S+G, one must be smart, nice and unstoppable, while always being committed to connectivity, creativity, global collaboration, excellent service and follow-through. Again, not a con, just a specific culture that fosters constant growth opportunities; which is actually a pro for personal and career development!

Advice to Management

Value each and every one of your relationships. Within my time so far, I’ve learned that Siegel + Gale’s success - both internal & external - stems from its talented people and their ability to connect. From day one, I've observed the most successful managers within the organization are those who cultivate authentic relationships, ultimately empowering every person they work with.

Siegel+Gale Response

Aug 1, 2016 – Chief Talent Officer

Thanks for your feedback. We too believe that our employees are our best asset!