Sierra Club Reviews | Glassdoor

3.6
Sierra Club Executive Director Michael Brune
Michael Brune

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • My impression was of a workplace that respected and advocated for work/life balance (in 9 reviews)

• Its fulfilling to work with passionate people, towards worthwhile goals, for an organization with a proven track record of getting things done (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • An organization (non-profit no less) of some 600 staff with two labor unions makes no sense anywhere else in the working world (in 11 reviews)

• Many of the organization's sharpest employees begin to look elsewhere in their mid-career because there are limited opportunities for upward mobility (in 5 reviews)

1. "Casual Workplace"

Former Employee - Intern in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Intern in Washington, DC

Pros

The DC office has a bunch of awesome protest signs everyone, everyone very progressive and cares about the causes. My impression was of a workplace that respected and advocated for work/life balance.

Cons

Office has a very open floor plan, so when making phone calls or coworkers having conversations, things could get loud/distracting. Work was sometimes stressful due to caring about the issues/being on a tight schedule to follow Congress.

2. "Change of Culture"

I worked at Sierra Club full-time

Pros

Great cause and amazing successes
    Wonderful people to work with -- smart, talented, dedicated
    Opportunity to expand your job

Cons

Newer CEO has changed the culture from:
    --flat organization wth everyone feeling on equal ground to more hierarchical
    --no more information sharing re: organization with entire staff to just select few
    --from equality oriented to male-driven
    --from an inclusive, broad-minded organization to a more elite, "pure-focused" organization
    --from focusing on employees' strengths to focusing on trying to fix employees' weaknesses and evaluating them on those.

Advice to Management

See Cons

3. "??"

Pros

People are very passionate about what they stand for

Cons

pay is not at high end, but this is an non profit organization.

4. "Good place"

Former Employee - Intern - Hourly in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Intern - Hourly in Oakland, CA

I worked at Sierra Club part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

cool co-workers, working for a good cause

Cons

High turnover, people get fired when funding runs out, low pay

"Chapter Employee"

Former Employee - Chapter Coordinator in Harrisburg, PA
    Former Employee - Chapter Coordinator in Harrisburg, PA

I worked at Sierra Club full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Summary: I was a chapter employee but was able to work with national and regional employees and still felt very aware and enlightened in all three aspects of the organization.

National Sierra Club: Pretty good salaries. Generous benefits, very transparent "ladder" to work up. Offers training and opportunities for advancement. The management and board are rooting for all employees to succeed and make themselves available for them to ask questions and seek improvement.

Chapter Sierra Club (Pennsylvania): Very dedicated board and efficient, mentoring type management.

Cons

National: Can't think of any.

Chapter: Always limited financial resources. It's hard to fund raise at the chapter level. I don't think this is the fault of the chapter, but rather in an environmental awareness "developing" state, donation dollars and resources were stretched thin. That said, they were always very appreciative of all the work I put in and tried to compensate accordingly through benefits.

Advice to Management

In attempting to rally with other progressive organizations, I sometimes felt the message of environmental preservation was lost. This was in partnering with unions, occupy wall street, gas truth, etc. I think we sometimes were often working well with passionate people but sometimes lost our middle-ground political appeal and this hurt our effectiveness in the PA legislature as well as with more conservative donors. I think we were seen more and more often as extreme than we were.

6. "Environmental Law Program Intern"

Pros

lots of substantive work given to legal interns

Cons

lots of attorneys, sometimes too busy to give feedback

7. "Great company, good cause"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA

I have been working at Sierra Club full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great friendly people, good cause, receptive to change, feel good about what org is doing

Cons

lower non profit pay, sometimes a lot of red tape because of large size

8. "Great place to work"

I worked at Sierra Club full-time

Pros

People are mission driven, work-life balance is excellent, and the organization is a real player on environmental issues.

Cons

It's a fairly large NGO which means it has its own bureaucratic tendencies.

9. "Venerable Org needs 21st Century Update"

Current Employee - Organizing Representative
    Current Employee - Organizing Representative

I have been working at Sierra Club full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Its fulfilling to work with passionate people, towards worthwhile goals, for an organization with a proven track record of getting things done. Generally you have a lot of autonomy and must be self-motivating, which provides good flexibility in your day-to-day work. The staff is unionized and has good health insurance benefits, bereavement & maternity/paternity leave, and flexible time off.

Cons

The Sierra Club is an old organization, with many burdens of an aging and complicated bureaucratic structure. Field office and local Chapter relationships are unnecessarily separate and strained. Because of the expectation of self-governance, there is very little effective oversight for staff and volunteer leaders. Lazy and ineffective employees can remain in their positions for years, to the detriment of the the organization and staff moral. There are duplicate capacity structures, and silos of information that create division and confusion.

Advice to Management

Restructure the Sierra Club chain of command. Combine all Field and Chapter staff and offices. Simplify bureaucratic processes and gut the fat. Hold Chapter staff and volunteer leadership accountable to the same standards as national staff, with official national presence and oversight on Chapter executive committees.

10. "Law Program is great!"

Pros

Very supportive for interns and give projects with good amount of responsibility. Location in SF was great, but not sure how the new Oakland office is

Cons

had only one email that we shared between all the legal interns. this made it more difficult to interact with staff because each intern had to sort through the others' mail.

Advice to Management

set up specific emails for each intern, or at least assign a unique email to each intern. keep doing the great work you're doing!