Sierra Club "nonprofits" Reviews | Glassdoor

Create your profile to get personalized information

Sierra Club Employee Reviews about "nonprofits"

Updated Oct 21, 2019

3.7
Sierra Club Executive Director Michael Brune
Michael Brune
Pros
  • "They really make sure you get the most out of your experience and provide a very healthy work/life balance(in 10 reviews)

• "Its fulfilling to work with passionate people, towards worthwhile goals, for an organization with a proven track record of getting things done(in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • "Difficult to advance, non profit salary, constant sense of urgency(in 14 reviews)

• "As most nonprofits, people seemed overworked, and honestly pretty disorganized(in 11 reviews)

Reviews about "nonprofits"

Return to all Reviews

"Media Associate Position"

I have been working at Sierra Club full-time

Pros

Great work environment and amazing employees. The work that is done at the Sierra Club is for an amazing cause, and is fulfilling.

Cons

Nonprofits in general can be a little disorganized from time to time, and the Sierra Club is no different. But they also have a million things happening all at once, and have locations in every state in the US. So with that in mind, they still do an amazing job.

Sierra Club2018-12-17

"Great Ideals, Still a Bunch of White Guys"

I have been working at Sierra Club full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Has a great union and worthy goals.

Cons

The Human Resources department is actively terrible, and routinely messes up things like employee 401K. Management is still almost entirely white men, who are feminist right up until the point where it involves giving women any real power within the organization. For a nonprofit whose offices are based in Oakland, the headquarters is almost entirely white. Most of the POCs in the office are interns or in customer... care. Many layers of middle management whose jobs depend on keeping the status quo.

Advice to Management

No more workshops. No more consultants. The only way to accomplish your equity goals is to actually implement them.

Sierra Club2018-11-07

"Feel-good work, beware burnout"

I worked at Sierra Club full-time

Pros

Mission driven org, passionate co-workers; good compensation relative to smaller nonprofits (unionized workforce elevates salaries/benefits for all), making an effort to address issues of equity, inclusion, and justice. Would recommend to friend but with reservations/caveats.

Cons

Departments fairly siloed with some more functional/supportive than others, high risk of burnout, limited opportunities for career advancement, still a long ways to go for true equity and inclusion within org.

Sierra Club2018-10-16
  4. "Fighting the good fight."

I have been working at Sierra Club

Pros

Important cause-driven work being done by this organization. Compared to other nonprofits, I felt that the Sierra Club was likely to support organizers with families. As a Big Green, the organization has a deeper organizational structure than most.

Cons

Salary not consistent with the city the work is being done within. Benefits were excellent. Union was a huge plus! Female and diverse leadership in top roles within the staff structure of the organization continues to be an issue.

Advice to Management

Continue to encourage work/life balance within employees. Due to the nature of the work, turnover and burnout are a major concern.

Sierra Club2017-10-29
  5. "Grassroots non profit"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Sierra Club full-time for less than a year

Pros

Mission-driven, socially aware, nationwide organization with valuable assets and partnerships

Cons

limited upward mobility, pay isn't as competitive as other nonprofits

Sierra Club2017-10-10
  6. "Apprentice Organzier"

Apprentice Organizer

I worked at Sierra Club

Pros

Great campaign experience, learned a lot about politics

Cons

Low, nonprofit pay; long hours but worth it once you win the campaign

Sierra Club2016-07-22

"Unpleasant Experience"

I worked at Sierra Club full-time

Pros

Some of the people that I worked with were very nice and seemed to really care about the work that they did. They also respected a work/life balance, by demonstrating flexibility in scheduling to account for my gym membership.

Cons

Training for new employees isn't very organized, even for a nonprofit. In may case, there wasn't any updates on my performance which would have been helpful. While I was there, I didn't feel like there were any opportunities to grow within my department.

Advice to Management

It would be beneficial to have all departments implement a review process in which employees in training can receive constructive feedback about their performance.

Sierra Club2016-01-27

"Passionate workforce and vital mission, but org. mismanagement and navel-gazing are counter productive"

Anonymous

I worked at Sierra Club for more than 3 years

Pros

- amazing coworkers! made so many good friends here - fight for clean air, water and energy - a fantastic mission and pretty fun work! - chance to live in San Francisco and work for a non-profit - decent work/life balance, thanks to Union contact protections - 120+ year old organization - lots of history and past success to build on

Cons

- bad managers: some very weak leaders at the tippy-top and Management isn't always honest with staff about goals, priorities, funding, #realtalk - salaries are so low! poverty level for SF, less than most nonprofits, and a huge gap with Upper Management. keeps the staff turning over regularly, even talented ppl leave - 120+ year org. = bureaucracy, hierarchy, insulation from outside world, and membership that is... massively skewed old and white - pro-corporate, consumerist stance undercuts mission

Advice to Management

The Club needs innovation, diversity, and a fundamental shift in orientation towards climate and environmental JUSTICE. This needs to be about people and our planet. And let's have less inside baseball and more grassroots organizing, please.

Sierra Club2014-05-25
  9. "Fun internship at the Regional Office."

Former Intern - Conservation Intern in Berkeley, CA

I worked at Sierra Club for less than a year

Pros

Learned a lot about working in the non-profit sector. Internship was very relaxed and fun, and we got to do lots of activities outdoors and interacting with the community.

Cons

It's a little disorganized at times and much of their work relies on community volunteers, which can be frustrating. Also, internships are unpaid, although that's to be expected with a student internship at a nonprofit.

Advice to Management

Utilize the interns for more than just phone banks and volunteer events! Find out what they're studying in school and have them researching, writing, etc.

Sierra Club2013-08-15
  10. "A really great job to get right out of college."

Program Assistant in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Sierra Club

Pros

My manager was the best reason to work for the Sierra Club. Also, there is a really strong union there and it is easy to move to different departments within the Club once you get your foot in the door.

Cons

The salary is the worst part of working at the Sierra Club since it is way below market, even for similarly-sized nonprofits.

Advice to Management

The management just changed and they are doing a great job of improving the relationship between the staff and the management. My main advice would be to keep up the good work and to work on improving opportunities for professional development and advancement.

Sierra Club2011-03-25