Sierra Club "passionate people" Reviews | Glassdoor

Sierra Club Employee Reviews about "passionate people"

Updated Apr 24, 2019

3.7
Sierra Club CEO Michael Brune
Michael Brune
Pros
  • "They really make sure you get the most out of your experience and provide a very healthy work/life balance(in 10 reviews)

• "Its fulfilling to work with passionate people, towards worthwhile goals, for an organization with a proven track record of getting things done(in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • "Difficult to advance, non profit salary, constant sense of urgency(in 14 reviews)

• "As most nonprofits, people seemed overworked, and honestly pretty disorganized(in 11 reviews)

Reviews about "passionate people"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Politcal Intern"

Former Intern - Politcal in Lansing, MI

I worked at Sierra Club for less than a year

Pros

Meaningful work Lot of passionate people

Cons

Unpredictable schedule Assigned to a campaign to work on

Advice to Management

Be more up front about the position

Sierra Club2016-09-25

"Venerable Org needs 21st Century Update"

Current Employee - Organizing Representative

I have been working at Sierra Club full-time for more than a year

Pros

Its fulfilling to work with passionate people, towards worthwhile goals, for an organization with a proven track record of getting things done. Generally you have a lot of autonomy and must be self-motivating, which provides good flexibility in your day-to-day work. The staff is unionized and has good health insurance benefits, bereavement & maternity/paternity leave, and flexible time off.

Cons

The Sierra Club is an old organization, with many burdens of an aging and complicated bureaucratic structure. Field office and local Chapter relationships are unnecessarily separate and strained. Because of the expectation of self-governance, there is very little effective oversight for staff and volunteer leaders. Lazy and ineffective employees can remain in their positions for years, to the detriment of the the... organization and staff moral. There are duplicate capacity structures, and silos of information that create division and confusion.

Advice to Management

Restructure the Sierra Club chain of command. Combine all Field and Chapter staff and offices. Simplify bureaucratic processes and gut the fat. Hold Chapter staff and volunteer leadership accountable to the same standards as national staff, with official national presence and oversight on Chapter executive committees.

Sierra Club2016-09-20
  3. "Respect"

Current Contractor - Team Member in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Sierra Club for more than 3 years

Pros

People are passionate about what they do

Cons

Money is not spent they way it should be.

Sierra Club2016-09-20
  4. "Summer Internship"

in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Sierra Club

Pros

People are passionate about their job

Cons

There isn't much work to do for interns. The office space is small.

Advice to Management

Find more meaningful work for interns.

Sierra Club2016-07-12
  5. "Great organization and values -- diplomacy skills & ability to navigate internal politics a must for success"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Sierra Club full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Passionate people, incredible resources available for running effective advocacy campaigns (legal, communications, political, and grassroots), and excellent politics. Sierra Club is one of the few national environmental organizations that is deeply committed to organizing and to building people power. It strikes an impressive balance between holding true to its core values, and being willing to make reasonable... compromises in order to achieve real change. It's also making important strides in terms of prioritizing Diversity, Equity and Inclusion.

Cons

Tough bureaucracy to navigate; figuring out roles and responsibilities between departments could prove tough. Volunteers play a critical role at the organization, which is a great asset and sometimes a liability since there's little consistency in terms of skillsets and strategy. Relationship and politics between National and Chapters can prove challenging.

Sierra Club2016-02-24

"A wonderful, strong organization of do-gooders...who have little understanding of their own company's infrastructure."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Sierra Club full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

- Working with very passionate people, in an organization that has achieved amazing results for the environment and American public. People here (serving in any position) believe wholeheartedly in the Club's work on promoting clean energy and protecting wild lands. Everyone here is extremely intelligent and hard-working. - The past couple of years have dragged our workforce out of the tech Dark Ages. We have... made some major strides on updating baseline equipment and systems for all employees; using systems (Google mail, SalesForce) that are much more prevalent in the outside working world. It's not perfect, but it's far adn above where we were in the late 2000s. - Excellent health benefits and retirement packages. Heaps of time off benefits. Discounts on cool trips is a fun perk.

Cons

- Upper management/Executive level has very little understanding of the importance of support staff (Finance, HR, IT, anyone administrative in other departments, etc). And those upper managers that lead support teams aren't very strong in portraying what their teams do/accomplish to the Executive team and Board, or why operations should factor into Exec decisions. - Salary discrepancies can be very wide between... departments and regions. - Salary discrepancies between departments and regions are - This organization runs on a tight-wire social structure. Folks here have learned that whoever screams the loudest gets noticed by management. Many of the employees are grassroots organizers who are used to pushing back on authority as a part of their job -- and they unfairly push just as hard on internal Club teams when given a task/an answer to a question that they don't like. Lots of calling 4 different people on the same team to search for an answer that best suits them. - An organization (non-profit no less) of some 600 staff with two labor unions makes no sense anywhere else in the working world. But it does here?

Advice to Management

In any non-profit, it's very easy to focus solely on the message/cause around which your organization is built (particularly because of expectations of our donors). But the support staff (Finance, HR, IT, anyone administrative in other departments, etc) are just as important as our fundraisers, lobbyists, and organizers. These are the staff members that do excellent behind-the-scenes work to equip our "in the... field" staff with the tools they need to do their job of saving the world. I strongly urge Executive to hire a Chief Operating Officer with oversight of the support teams, allowing for those teams to have a strong leader and advocate, and to free up the other Execs to focus on their (obviously preferred) environmental work and fundraising.

Sierra Club2015-02-26
  7. "Good internship at local office, but wanted more"

Former Intern - Office Intern

I worked at Sierra Club for less than a year

Pros

People are passionate, truly believe in their tasks and work tirelessly. There is a strong sense of teamwork. People delegate task depending on others strength, and are not afraid to ask for help.

Cons

Like so many other non-profits, there seemed to be a general chaos. The intern program lacked structure and overall organization. I felt I had to ask what I could do to help out too often.

Advice to Management

Have projects written up in advance for interns.

Sierra Club2014-07-24
  8. "My internship was educational, but there was much more potential for a well-rounded experience."

Former Intern - Intern in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Sierra Club for less than a year

Pros

Passionate people, strong national network, effective campaigns.

Cons

SF headquarters office is not a very dynamic work environment, no strong sense of community in office.

Advice to Management

Future interns would benefit from a more comprehensive introduction to the organization and its work. There are so many facets to the Sierra Club and its internal structure, but rather than gaining an understanding of this I was thrown into menial tasks without being introduced to the context of my work. Although I learned much more as I went along, I think there is a lot of potential for a great internship... experience at the Sierra Club if interns are offered more learning opportunities and networking opportunities.

Sierra Club2013-08-27
  9. "positive experience"

Former Intern - Intern

I worked at Sierra Club for less than a year

Pros

- passionate people who care about what they do - work on exciting projects and real issues - felt like I was contributing even as an intern

Cons

- the chapter I was disorganized - volunteers often have different approaches from the chapter staff

Advice to Management

- work more with millennials and young adults

Sierra Club2019-04-24