Sierra Club "work life balance" Reviews | Glassdoor

Sierra Club Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated Nov 30, 2017

3.7
Sierra Club Executive Director Michael Brune
Michael Brune
Pros
  • "They really make sure you get the most out of your experience and provide a very healthy work/life balance(in 10 reviews)

• "Its fulfilling to work with passionate people, towards worthwhile goals, for an organization with a proven track record of getting things done(in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • "Difficult to advance, non profit salary, constant sense of urgency(in 14 reviews)

• "As most nonprofits, people seemed overworked, and honestly pretty disorganized(in 11 reviews)

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Legislative Intern"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

Pros

Cons

I have no cons. Loved my time there!

Sierra Club2017-11-30
  2. "Casual Workplace"

Intern in Washington, DC

I worked at Sierra Club

Pros

The DC office has a bunch of awesome protest signs everyone, everyone very progressive and cares about the causes. My impression was of a workplace that respected and advocated for work/life balance.

Cons

Office has a very open floor plan, so when making phone calls or coworkers having conversations, things could get loud/distracting. Work was sometimes stressful due to caring about the issues/being on a tight schedule to follow Congress.

Sierra Club2017-05-28
  3. "Amazing opportunity"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Sierra Club

Pros

Hands-on, lots of opportunities to participate in organization's advocacy work; friendly, communicative staff lead lots of learning/professional development events; interns are incorporated into office culture; great work-life balance

Cons

Unpaid position makes this great internship program less accessible to a lot of students

Sierra Club2017-05-17
  4. "Political Intern"

Former Intern - Political Intern in Lansing, MI

I worked at Sierra Club for less than a year

Pros

Flexible schedule Work/life balance Lots of experience with the political system Networked with many legislators

Cons

Can put in a lot of hours

Sierra Club2017-01-03

"Great place to work"

I worked at Sierra Club full-time

Pros

People are mission driven, work-life balance is excellent, and the organization is a real player on environmental issues.

Cons

It's a fairly large NGO which means it has its own bureaucratic tendencies.

Sierra Club2016-10-24
  6. "Organizing Representative"

Organizing Representative in Washington, DC

I have been working at Sierra Club

Pros

good teams, good benefits, decent work life balance

Cons

non-profit salary, limited upward mobility

Advice to Management

better self care for teams, encourage more time off and offer promotions or raises more often

Sierra Club2016-08-09

"Unpleasant Experience"

I worked at Sierra Club full-time

Pros

Some of the people that I worked with were very nice and seemed to really care about the work that they did. They also respected a work/life balance, by demonstrating flexibility in scheduling to account for my gym membership.

Cons

Training for new employees isn't very organized, even for a nonprofit. In may case, there wasn't any updates on my performance which would have been helpful. While I was there, I didn't feel like there were any opportunities to grow within my department.

Advice to Management

It would be beneficial to have all departments implement a review process in which employees in training can receive constructive feedback about their performance.

Sierra Club2016-01-27
  8. "Organizing Representative"

in New York, NY

I have been working at Sierra Club for less than a year

Pros

Great benefits and collaboration. Great work life balance and comp time option.

Cons

Have no cons to date.

Sierra Club2015-11-13

"Passionate workforce and vital mission, but org. mismanagement and navel-gazing are counter productive"

Anonymous

I worked at Sierra Club for more than 3 years

Pros

- amazing coworkers! made so many good friends here - fight for clean air, water and energy - a fantastic mission and pretty fun work! - chance to live in San Francisco and work for a non-profit - decent work/life balance, thanks to Union contact protections - 120+ year old organization - lots of history and past success to build on

Cons

- bad managers: some very weak leaders at the tippy-top and Management isn't always honest with staff about goals, priorities, funding, #realtalk - salaries are so low! poverty level for SF, less than most nonprofits, and a huge gap with Upper Management. keeps the staff turning over regularly, even talented ppl leave - 120+ year org. = bureaucracy, hierarchy, insulation from outside world, and membership that is... massively skewed old and white - pro-corporate, consumerist stance undercuts mission

Advice to Management

The Club needs innovation, diversity, and a fundamental shift in orientation towards climate and environmental JUSTICE. This needs to be about people and our planet. And let's have less inside baseball and more grassroots organizing, please.

Sierra Club2014-05-25
  10. "Great mission, unique environment"

I worked at Sierra Club

Pros

Generally appropriate work-life balance and great co-workers.

Cons

Compensation, benefits, limited upward mobility, poor retention; working to improve these areas could do the organization well to retain employees.

Sierra Club2013-02-04