Sierra Nevada Corporation Reviews | Glassdoor

3.1
Sierra Nevada Corporation Chief Executive Officer Fatih Ozmen
Fatih Ozmen

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great benefits and great people to work with (in 31 reviews)

• s 401K match has made it impossible for me to contribute anything less than the maximum that SNC will match (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-Life Balance can be horrible (in 20 reviews)

• No major cons - minor growing pains as an organization overall (in 17 reviews)

1. "Principal Mechanical Engineer"

Current Employee - Principal Mechanical Engineer in Centennial, CO
    Current Employee - Principal Mechanical Engineer in Centennial, CO

I have been working at Sierra Nevada Corporation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The diversity of the programs, working with talented people, the benefits, great customers.

Cons

I'm pretty happy here. No downside that I can think of.

2. "Senior Manager of Programs"

I worked at Sierra Nevada Corporation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Strong co-workers, ambitious vision, strong and enforced processes.

Cons

Family based business with owner quirks, and some senior management shortcomings. Strong and enforced processes.

Advice to Management

Recommend a greater degree of delegation of authority. Curtail senior management hiding behind processes to justify a decision.

3. "Apply only if you are in love with space"

Current Employee - Systems Engineer
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer

I have been working at Sierra Nevada Corporation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

• Long term benefits toward retirement are outstanding
    • Amazing opportunity to work in the space industry

Cons

Short term benefits - depends on the location.
    Break space is far too small.
    Work day length expectations for salaried employees can be anything but a "work/life balance".
    Generally speaking, the type of place you get done with the day and are happy the day is over.

Advice to Management

• Plan projects to take into account the employees are human beings, not cattle
    • If fast, heavy pace work environment is inevitable, fight for "day of" benefits to alleviate stress and pressure in order to retain over worked employees thus saving on retraining costs and allowing for employees to have something to look forward to even if their work load is a 16 hour day.
    • Receive formal training in leadership. A degree(s) in engineering and decades on successful small, minimal group projects do not constitute good leaders of people. This results in a lack of inspiration/motivation, degradation of work ethic, and an overall decrease in quality.

4. "Current Employee"

I have been working at Sierra Nevada Corporation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Pay, benefits, leadership and culture

Cons

None noted at this time

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

"Principle system engineer"

Former Employee - Principal Systems Engineer in Hagerstown, MD
    Former Employee - Principal Systems Engineer in Hagerstown, MD

I worked at Sierra Nevada Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A husband and wife leaders of the company for trying to run a world-class organization.

Cons

Regional leadership was nothing more than a good old boy Network. Very poor leadership lacking corporate experience.

Advice to Management

Continue to hire people that have proven experience with large Aerospace corporations

"Used to be The Name In Manned ISR, now more like the Big Lots of ISR"

Former Employee - Field Service Engineer II
    Former Employee - Field Service Engineer II

I worked at Sierra Nevada Corporation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

About the only one left is the 401k, which I'm sure won't stick around for much longer. You can basically do anything you want and not worry about being fired because they can't keep people, so if you like to do whatever you want with no regard for the rules THIS IS YOUR PLACE!!!

Cons

Management could not care any less about you, they basically are only concerned about making themselves look good enough and get the job title needed to move onto another company. Benefits package get worse (most notably the insurance) every year! You have to quit and let them need you to come back to get promoted, while they hire people off the street with no experience at higher grades than the people who stick around through the bad times (last 4 years).

Advice to Management

Treat your people well and attempt to make their lives better instead of worse, esp the people who are deployed to the hot poo holes doing the mission away from their families, friends and home. Remember you're safely in your nice air conditioned office and going home every night, we get to do that every 90 days or so. Also stop reminding all your deployed people of all the cool fun events back stateside that we will obviously miss because we are deployed...we love getting that rubbed in our faces on a regular basis. Also when you're going to cut pay or not give annual percentage raises make sure you cover up the real reasons you aren't doing it, like because you gave money from our division to one of the more promising divisions!

"Mostly good, but corporate is getting out of touch"

Current Employee - Engineer
    Current Employee - Engineer

I have been working at Sierra Nevada Corporation full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The people are great to work with, the 401(k) matching is stellar and 9-80 schedule at my office along with 4 weeks of vacation is very nice.

Cons

They don't budge on promotions, its years of experience, period. Doesn't matter if you work tail off and your managers even go to bat for you, must have 5.0 years and 'sorry we don't do mid-year promotions'.
    When I started, on your anniversary you'd get to pick out company t-shirt/jacket or something out of a sky mall esque catalog for your gift, which got better the longer you were there, nothing crazy nice, but was something you could use. The past couple of years they've been sending out these 'customized yearbooks' basically a link to a HR enter-name-here form letter. Its really pathetic and is word for word the same every year, its actually offensive as opposed to recognizing your years of service.
    New software systems are pushed out without vetting them, the last couple years have been a complete disaster transitioning from an old system to a new one, and they didn't provide adequate training on how to use the new system and are constantly debugging it and finding errors in the migration process.

Advice to Management

Read the HR emails you send out, scattering the latest corporate buzzwords throughout them doesn't make you sound smart, it makes us wonder if you know what you are doing? Take all the money you are throwing at your high dollar HR staff and use it trim our health insurance costs and spend some time at your offices to figure out what your regular employees are doing everyday so maybe they can be more efficient. Coming once a year for a dog and pony show doesn't count.

"Great Company!!! Exciting technology. Take care of there people."

I have been working at Sierra Nevada Corporation full-time

Pros

Benefits. Mobility. Culture. Great Company.

Cons

Growth Pains. Decision Making.

Advice to Management

Push responsibility down as far as you can and the company will fly

9. "Company"

I have been working at Sierra Nevada Corporation full-time

Pros

Great benefits that is unmatched anywhere else

Cons

None to really list that can be thought of

"Engineer"

Former Employee - Engineer
    Former Employee - Engineer

I worked at Sierra Nevada Corporation full-time

Pros

Very good 401 k plan

Cons

No way for any innovations