Sierra Nevada Corporation Reviews | Glassdoor

Sierra Nevada Corporation Chief Executive Officer Fatih Ozmen
Fatih Ozmen

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Work-Life Balance can be horrible" (in 22 reviews)

• "The company is constantly going through growing pains that has everyone at the working level in a constant state of whiplash" (in 19 reviews)

"Great Company, Great benefits, Meaningful work."

I have been working at Sierra Nevada Corporation full-time

Pros

Great Benefits. 401K is second to none with an 150% match up to 8%. Great healthcare. Meaningful work. Company focused on developing life saving equipment.

Cons

Busy at times. Branch offices creates difficulties with time zone differences. Growing at an exponential rate so growing pains are prevalent.

Advice to Management

Try to slow down the growth of the company so that it is done right. Not a bad problem to have though.

2. "Great Company"

Pros

Great benefits and cool things to work on.

Cons

PTO and 401k rules for vesting.

3. "People at Sierra Nevada corporate"

I have been working at Sierra Nevada Corporation full-time

Pros

Nice employees to work with

Cons

Lay-off to often on short notices

4. "Mechanical design Intern"

Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Madison, WI

I worked at Sierra Nevada Corporation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people you work with have a vested interest in your understanding and helping you to become a better engineer.

Cons

Some projects have extremely quick deadlines that require many hands and overtime.

Oct 18, 2018 – HR

Thank you for the time and effort you contributed! We had an incredibly talented class this past year. We know our interns receive offers from many leading companies and we’re glad you chose SNC... More

"Fantastic Company Heading for Greatness!!!"

Former Employee - Director
    Former Employee - Director

I worked at Sierra Nevada Corporation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

SNC is a fantastic company within which you can easily build a lifetime career. The company is dynamic, fast moving, entrepreneurial and anything but boring. The teams are filled with some of the most talented individuals I have ever had the pleasure of working with. The opportunities within the company are boundless for those that are driven to accomplish and thrive on excelling in the face of unforeseen obstacles.

Cons

SNC is a very fast growing company with no signs of slowing down. With that speed comes tremendous opportunity, but also many challenges. At time the company always seems to be trying to catch up with itself, but that is the nature of exponential growth (its a pro and con). Those who like to contribute will thrive while those who are looking for an easy paycheck will fail.

Advice to Management

Continue in the direction you are heading and for the most part trust your senior advisers with authority to make decisions. Giving leaders more authority and coaching will allow ownership to more quickly discern if those leaders have the correct skill sets needed as well as to allow SNC to keep up with the decisions needed to obtain the growth desired. However, hold those leaders accountable if they do not have the correct skill sets and take corrective action if/when necessary.

In the last two to three years there has been a definite shift in Executive Leadership philosophy which has helped bring in a new more positive work culture to the company. However, there are still a few Senior Leaders that, while wanting to make the best decisions for their division, lack the SNC business knowledge to fully understand their own requests and impacts to the enterprise.

6. "Exciting work that will broaden your experience"

I worked at Sierra Nevada Corporation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Large international company that will enhance your professional network and broaden your experience. I enjoyed taking my experience to the international level and had opportunities to work on some once-in-a-lifetime projects. The company has some very exciting projects on the horizon that will tremendously impact the company.

The team members are amazing and all strive to make a positive impact. Employees are proud of the work they do and it shows.

Cons

Can be challenging work at times but it will broaden your experience.

7. "Fascinating work, and lots of it"

Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Louisville, CO
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Louisville, CO

I have been working at Sierra Nevada Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

We're working on some of the most cutting edge tech, building a new reusable spacecraft for NASA and others--how cool is that? The technical challenges are significant, but it's rewarding to realize we're making the next generation of space travel a reality!

Cons

We're a bit understaffed, so the work expectations and hours can be significant. The compensation is good, but not amazing

Advice to Management

Keep communicating the vision, and supporting your team. Hire more people as you're able, and/or keep opportunities to advance open so people don't get bogged down in the volume of work we still need to complete.

"Hagerstown: Stick a fork in it, for it's done!"

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Hagerstown, MD
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Hagerstown, MD

I have been working at Sierra Nevada Corporation full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

None whatsoever! Anyone at SNC in Hagerstown more than a year is truly miserable! No one cares that morale is in the tank.

Cons

Senior Management drove away all the talent and incompetent employees are all that remain. If you're unfortunate enough to attend a PMR, you will see over 90 percent of the programs are behind schedule and overrun. Customers do not respect SNC and no one knows how to bid jobs anymore.

Advice to Management

This is a waste of words, but if Corporate truly cared, they would clean house, as well as get a true HR. In my nearly 10 years there, HR has turned over at least 5 times and now it doesn't even exist. Any long-term employees are only staying because of their 401k.

Nov 5, 2018 – Vice President, Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback, I appreciate you sharing about your more recent experiences. With considerable growth comes the need for change and at times changes in direction; that said not all... More

"Great benefits and that's about it."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hagerstown, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hagerstown, MD

I worked at Sierra Nevada Corporation full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great benefits. Some very talented people do work here. Most of the employees work hard and want the company to be successful.

Cons

Corporate management and site specific executive management. Very much a good ol' boys club. If you are in the click you'll be fine no matter how bad you screw up - just put the blame on some poor putz. If you are not in the click - look out, you'll take the blame for everything. Corporate management knows this and allows it to happen.

Advice to Management

Clean house of the executive management team before IMS goes belly up. Loosing contracts, late deliveries and overruns are the norm for this group of management. The profits they turned last year were dumb luck as it was the windfall of one PMs hard work and due diligence. The rest of the programs were bloated and over managed and lost money.

Oct 12, 2018 – Vice President, Human Resources

I appreciate your honest feedback about your experience. Blaming is never OK - and a focus on solutions is our goal. Where you see this happening, I'd like to know. You can reach out to me... More

10. "Great people but still new here"

I have been working at Sierra Nevada Corporation full-time

Pros

Culture is great compared to other industry leaders, everyone genuinely likes coming to work

Cons

Still seems like a boys club when it comes to management
    401K match contribution does not go into effect until after a year of employment
    No sick days provided separate from vacation