Sierra Nevada Corporation Reviews | Glassdoor

Sierra Nevada Corporation Chief Executive Officer Fatih Ozmen
Fatih Ozmen

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work-Life Balance can be horrible (in 22 reviews)

• The company is constantly going through growing pains that has everyone at the working level in a constant state of whiplash (in 19 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"A Great Place to Work with a Pay-It-Forward Culture"

Current Employee - Electrical Engineer
    Current Employee - Electrical Engineer

I have been working at Sierra Nevada Corporation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have worked for SNC for 8+ years and have always been attracted by the family culture the owners, Eren and Fatih have created within a large company. In many aspects it feels like a small close knit company. They are generous to their employees with the high level of benefits including the 401k match, bonuses, and medical insurance. They are also generous and have a heartfelt compassion to help those in need, albeit employees experiencing a family crisis or victims of natural disasters, including the recent hurricane relief effort of $1M, offering matching contributions to the amount raised by the employees. They don't do this out of obligation, but they do these things because of who they are. I am blessed to have the opportunity to work for Sierra Nevada. The work is gratifying, the people I work with are great, and the work that we do is important. Eren and Fatih have a generous and compassionate heart and are making the world a better place.

Cons

I would like to see a Roth 401k option

2. "Love it here"

I have been working at Sierra Nevada Corporation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Huge range of engineering challenges. Ridiculous 401k matching (150% of your contribution up to 8% of salary)!

Cons

DoD contacts are a pain.

3. "Senior Systems Integrator"

Current Employee - Senior Systems Integrator in Hagerstown, MD
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Integrator in Hagerstown, MD

I have been working at Sierra Nevada Corporation full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The people and work environment are awesome.

Cons

We run lean which means putting in long hours sometimes; however, the end result is almost always worth the time investment.

4. "Hagerstown is a sinking ship!"

Current Employee - Anonymous in Hagerstown, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Hagerstown, MD

I have been working at Sierra Nevada Corporation full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The only Pro is the 401k and that's all! I've got a few years left to go and I'm gone! That's the only reason why I'm here.

Cons

About a dozen of us put Hagerstown on the map. We made Hagerstown great and the current VP and Corporate tore it apart! We were thriving, now it's crashing! All that talent gone and no one cares!

Advice to Management

Take a hard look at Senior Management and learn from your mistakes. You were great once, but that can never happen again. Outgoing proposals are a joke!

5. "Large company that still feels like a small company"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Los Gatos, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Los Gatos, CA

I have been working at Sierra Nevada Corporation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good people, mission focused, culture of respect and communication, excellent training, education opportunities, fair policies, nice benefits, outstanding 401k matching.

Cons

Growing pains, lots of rules (due to defense sector).

Advice to Management

One of the first things people ask me is, "Oh, did you start working for the beer company?" Looks as if there is some branding work that could be done! The company is different (in a good way) from others in defense contracting, and those positive attributes should be highlighted to attract more of the employees you would like to hire.

6. "Small company, huge overhead"

I have been working at Sierra Nevada Corporation full-time

Pros

401K match, 9/80 schedule, good industry

Cons

Bureaucracy the equivalent of a company 10 times their size. Hard to get anything done. More time spent on internal process paperwork than actual engineering.

Advice to Management

Embrace the benefits of being a smaller company. This isn't NASA or Lockheed Martin, and that's a good thing. We may have the same contractual requirements that they do, but that doesn't mean we have to adopt their inefficiencies as well.

7. "Healthy Work Environment"

Current Employee - Operations Engineer in Sparks, NV
    Current Employee - Operations Engineer in Sparks, NV

I have been working at Sierra Nevada Corporation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good organization that is willing to make the hard decisions to stick to its values. This isn't your typical company that sits around talking about making a difference, they do it. Excellent benefits and employee engagement.

Cons

Growing business is outgrowing its systems that require change. This can be an opportunity or a headache depending on your attitude.

Advice to Management

Keep up the hard work maintaining the work hard, play hard culture!

8. "Product Support Manager"

I have been working at Sierra Nevada Corporation full-time

Pros

Great 401K Program, Great company to work for

Cons

Poor communication, Hagerstown is a crappy location

"Lead Principal Mechanical Engineer"

Former Employee - Lead Principal ME (Chief) in Sparks, NV
    Former Employee - Lead Principal ME (Chief) in Sparks, NV

I worked at Sierra Nevada Corporation full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Excellent culture, phenomenal benefits, good work to do, great exposure to new things. good support from IT and HR/Admin are all outstanding

Cons

lack of definition for higher level technical career paths. Too little interface with management for product development and path forward for new product growth

Advice to Management

SNC has a knack for finding brilliant resources in technical areas and is a very attractive place to work. with bringing in such high caliber talent, care and attention should be given to their contribution and career growth paths

10. "Sierra Nevada Corporation as a great place to work"

Former Employee - Senior System Engineer in Folsom, CA
    Former Employee - Senior System Engineer in Folsom, CA

I worked at Sierra Nevada Corporation full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Despite the rapid growth SNC has over the years, unlike some organizations, SNC has never lost its visions, purposes and always considered the employees the most important assets. SNC is still a privately held company, and has one of the best benefit package in the industry. SNC employees have the freedom to innovate, participate and contribute to many cutting edge technologies that SNC is currently pursuing. Strongly recommend SNC as a place to work, whether you are fresh out of college or seasoned professional.

Cons

None that I can think of. As with any other companies, you will experience some common cons.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good works and continue to invest in the core assets, the employees.