Sierra Nevada Corporation Reviews | Glassdoor

Sierra Nevada Corporation Chief Executive Officer Fatih Ozmen
Fatih Ozmen

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Work-Life Balance can be horrible" (in 23 reviews)

• "The company is constantly going through growing pains that has everyone at the working level in a constant state of whiplash" (in 19 reviews)

1. "Logisitics Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sparks, NV
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sparks, NV

I worked at Sierra Nevada Corporation (More than 3 years)

Pros

The 401k is matched 150%.

Cons

The overall experience was positive.

"Good pay and benefits, not long term."

I worked at Sierra Nevada Corporation full-time

Pros

Good pay and good benefits.

Cons

Communication is horrible, training is non existent and the processes that do exist are not well designed or followed. Way too many chiefs, not enough Indians. Too many meetings. Too many latoffs.

Advice to Management

Get rid of some.

Jan 15, 2019 – Director Corporate Oganizational Effectiveness

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. In our recent employee satisfaction survey, we heard more desire for training. That's why in 2018 we invested in building out the team, a new platform... More

3. "Exciting company with exceptional benefits"

I have been working at Sierra Nevada Corporation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The 401k is an outstanding benefit.

Cons

The company is very aggressive in its pursuits and deadlines.

"Anonymous"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hagerstown, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hagerstown, MD

I worked at Sierra Nevada Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good people who have no clue that the IMS Hagerstown location is a sinking ship

Cons

You give it your all, loyalty, dedication, trust in Senior Leadership. Then you get blindsided under a reduction in workforce. Only to be told, it's not your behavior , performance or work production but you make too much money. Hmmm, what a minute, you , SNC rewarded me with the pay raises based on my work performance and now you tell me that I and others are losing our jobs, being penalized because we make too much money. Insane!! IMS is on it's way out. No programs or significant work coming in. Many more will lose their jobs. My advice to those of you blindly following the leaders, get out now. Don't be blindsided as we were. CEO always states, we care about our people, comedy at its's best with that statement.

Advice to Management

Definitely impacts morale when after the 2nd round of reduction in workforce, those leaders making 6 figure salaries, who are expected to bring in contracts and programs to keep people working are still employed. Take care of your touch labor.

"Clear, Fast, Straight Forward process to onboard"

Current Employee - Systems Security Engineer in Louisville, CO
    Current Employee - Systems Security Engineer in Louisville, CO

I have been working at Sierra Nevada Corporation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very focused on getting things D.O.N.E!! And done right. Strong customer focus, take excellent care of employees, and give you all the tools you need to accomplish your tasks!

Cons

I haven't seen any yet. I'm sure there are, but its a much smaller CONS list than PROS list.

Advice to Management

Thank you! Its truly been refreshing to see a good company have the agility to improve the onboarding process and overall employment. I'm happy to be part of the team.

"Check out Department of Justice findings and subsequent fine (discussed in cons below)"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA

I worked at Sierra Nevada Corporation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very good benefits, a lot of competent, wonderful technical staff, and challenging and rewarding technology (but good technology exits at other companies too). See cons below...Ask yourself are the pros worth the cons? I decided not.

Cons

Poor work life balance (a young engineer told me when he left SNC that "he considered the work to be a sprint everyday worse than a marathon" which he said was why he left SNC), it appears to be difficult for staff and especially senior staff to influence for the better financial and technology decisions made by the upper tiers of management, it is worth being concerned about the fact (search the web) that in the recent past Sierra Nevada Corporation paid $14.9M to settle allegations of improper contract billings (the Sacramento Eastern District California DOJ office). This says a lot. I wonder how much to infer from this. Win at all costs? Win versus employee work/life balance? Who wins in this win? Do you? I think not. You know who wins! Who takes the proverbial bullet? Do you? I wonder.

Advice to Management

Read Forbes web page "Don't be surprised when your employees quit" or the Lighthouse web article "Why Employers leave Managers and not Companies." Recently, a retired senior manager told me, "SNC managers hire super-stars and burn them out after a few years for the sole purpose of winning new businesses and programs. Basically, super-stars are replaceable." He then said, "The super-stars always leave, sooner or later, for a better quality of life." I agree with that assessment, and I think it is good he retired. In my opinion, management is highly incentivized to make financial decisions that lead to winning at all costs, including employee work-life balance, and consequently, conscientious employees accept the enormity of work and inadvertently accept the sometimes, unbearable stress. Both facts take a toll on families, quality of work, quality of interpersonal-working relationships, and quality of life. SNC wins. You will lose and not your senior management chain. In fact, I recall a sign that someone put up in a work lab that said something like this, "Management wants to win at all costs, and in turn, we lose our wives and kids? I think not!" That person eventually made the right decision, and so did I.

Jan 3, 2019 – Director Corporate Oganizational Effectiveness

SNC is committed to compliance and proactively performs internal audits and reviews its operational and accounting practices to adopt industry best practices.

7. "Decent place to work"

I have been working at Sierra Nevada Corporation full-time

Pros

Great health benefits, and 401k match

Cons

Poorly structured, recognizes on a yearly bases it seems. Done purple have had more managers than years employed

8. "Great Company"

Pros

Great benefits and cool things to work on.

Cons

PTO and 401k rules for vesting.

9. "People at Sierra Nevada corporate"

I have been working at Sierra Nevada Corporation full-time

Pros

Nice employees to work with

Cons

Lay-off to often on short notices

"Very Dangerous Place for Mid-Aged Women"

Former Employee - Contracts Administrator in Louisville, CO
    Former Employee - Contracts Administrator in Louisville, CO

I worked at Sierra Nevada Corporation (Less than a year)

Pros

Plenty of Work to do.

Cons

Managers like the young, pretty women. If you start as a mid-aged woman, you will be quickly replaced--even if you have a perfect work record. I worked in contracts and the management there was so evil that I got fired with a perfect work record because the manager wanted a young girl in the spot to be his "work wife."

Advice to Management

I am sure there are more lawsuits coming down the pipes.

Dec 3, 2018 – Director Corporate Oganizational Effectiveness

We take this review very seriously and are deeply disturbed by the allegations included in this review. This reported behavior is absolutely not reflective of the behaviors and values of this... More