Sierra Nevada Corporation Reviews | Glassdoor

5.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Sierra Nevada Corporation Chief Executive Officer Fatih Ozmen
Fatih Ozmen

Pros
  • Great benefits and great people to work with (in 31 reviews)

• s 401K match has made it impossible for me to contribute anything less than the maximum that SNC will match (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-Life Balance can be horrible (in 20 reviews)

• No major cons - minor growing pains as an organization overall (in 17 reviews)

"SNC shows that they care for their employees"

Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Hagerstown, MD
    Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Hagerstown, MD

I have been working at Sierra Nevada Corporation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

As a mechanical engineer with a background primarily in space application, worked under a NASA contractor for the last 7+ years, and am fairly familiar with how engineering companies work. I have worked at SNC now since January '17 and am grateful to have the opportunity to learn a completely new skill set (airplanes) underneath a number of knowledgeable engineers at the Hagerstown location.

SIDE NOTE: I was delightfully surprised at the different incentives that SNC offered for me right off the bat (the small things matter to me)
    They offered a weekly "fruit guy" box (healthy snacks) free of charge to their employees, as well as incentives through Virgin Pulse to get out and walk/exercise! Kudos!

Also they have great 401K benefits and education benefits as well.

Cons

Just like every important job there can be tight deadlines. This only pertains to me, but I have to drive over 60 miles one way to come to work (as with many other SNC Hagerstown employees... must be the nature of the demographics)

Advice to Management

You guys are doing great! Thanks for all the little things offered to your employees.

"Great company to grow your career"

Current Employee - Corporate Support Role in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Corporate Support Role in Denver, CO

I have been working at Sierra Nevada Corporation full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I've greatly enjoyed my ~9 year career at SNC. It's a challenging, fun company to work at where you don't do the same thing everyday. I've listed some of the other pros below.

- Excellent Benefits offerings
    - Flexible work schedule (depending on department)
    - Working alongside top industry talent
    - Competitive pay
    - Little micromanagement, lots of creative freedom to solve problems/implement solutions
    - Promotions and pay increases are regular and fair
    - Customers have a real mission that is satisfying to support

Cons

- Hours can be long, can cut into family time
    - Every department is very deadline driven, can be stressful at times
    - Tools/processes are constantly in a "lag" behind business needs. Company grew too quickly to keep pace, so it's a never ending game of catch-up

Advice to Management

- Continue to invest in better infrastructure and improving processes. If we're going to operate like the "big boys", we need to have big boy tools.

3. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Integrated Product Support Manager in Hagerstown, MD
    Current Employee - Senior Integrated Product Support Manager in Hagerstown, MD

I have been working at Sierra Nevada Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits and great people to work with.

Cons

Hard to make changes sometimes

4. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Coordinator in Englewood, CO
    Current Employee - Coordinator in Englewood, CO

I have been working at Sierra Nevada Corporation full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great Benefits. Interesting work.

Cons

Can be stressful. Fast paced

5. "This can be *your* company"

Current Employee - Electrical Engineer in Centennial, CO
    Current Employee - Electrical Engineer in Centennial, CO

I have been working at Sierra Nevada Corporation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

My favorite thing about SNC is that if you are committed and willing to put in the work, the opportunities exist to build up the company, improve processes, and do some incredible work. I keep seeing reviews talking about the "good ole boys" club - It simply isn't the case. The people here are top notch, and if you want to be part of the team then nobody will stop you from engaging - all you have to do is be a decent person and give it your best every day. I will say that if you come here expecting to coast from 8-5, you'll likely be disappointed with your experience.

After so many years here, I feel a real sense of ownership in the work we do, and I'm proud of that.

Cons

None that wouldn't land in the range of typical nitpicking.about corporate life.

Advice to Management

Keep working on ways to better integrate the business areas. There are quite a few disconnects in terms of applications, data exchange, and talent sharing that, if resolved, could really help take our programs to the next level.

"SNC Review"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sparks, NV
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sparks, NV

I have been working at Sierra Nevada Corporation (More than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent job environment, though the hours can be somewhat long. The programs and products/services produced are always cutting edge and many have saved lives on the battlefield.

Cons

Senior management could listen to mid/junior management more. Engineering needs to find a point of completion before handing over to production, you can't keep designing while Techs are building or you set yourself up for problems.

"Amazing benefits"

Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Centennial, CO
    Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Centennial, CO

I have been working at Sierra Nevada Corporation full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Healthcare – [private info deleted] A few years ago, a family member was diagnosed with a serious illness, requiring extensive treatment. Thanks to the excellent medical benefits provided by SNC we only had to a pay reasonable deductible, and minimal co-payments. We used the healthcare FSA to spread out the costs and the impact to our budget was negligible.

Financial – SNC’s generous compensation has enabled me to realize what I can only describe as my “American Dream.” My [spouse] and I have been able to personally finance our [child]’s entire college education without any scholarships, grants, or student loans. It feels good to know that we have been able to help our [child] prepare for a successful career.

Retirement Preparation – I got kind of a late start on my retirement savings, but SNC’s 401K match has made it impossible for me to contribute anything less than the maximum that SNC will match. The 150% match is unheard of! It has provided the incentive that I needed to take control of my personal retirement planning. I now am comfortable that I will be financial prepared for retirement at the end of my time with SNC.

Professional Development – SNC has sponsored my attendance at many seminars and workshops over the years, elevating my technical competence and adding to the value that I bring to SNC. SNC also pays for my professional organization membership and has reimbursed me for all of my current certifications.

Continued Education – SNC supported my degree completion studies, paying all of the costs incurred. Thanks to SNC I now have the credentials to validate my formal education.

Personal Time – This is a benefit that cannot be overstated. I have always been a very dedicated employee. I work hard and I always drive myself to work whatever hours are required to get the job done right. I take great pride in my work. It’s hard to describe, but that feeling of accomplishment is something that I need on a personal level. However, just as importantly, everyone needs time away from the job. SNC’s generous PTO benefit gives me that time to spend with my family. It makes it possible to strike the proper balance between my personal and professional life.

Cons

I do not have any significant cons to disclose at this time; it is a great company and I want to make sure other current and prospective employees hear from a happy person.

Advice to Management

Continue to offer your personal touch and caring for employees as you run the company and as it grows in size and scope -- we appreciate your generosity and caring.

8. "Aircraft Records"

Current Employee - Aircraft Records in Clovis, NM
    Current Employee - Aircraft Records in Clovis, NM

Pros

Great pay scale and benefits

Cons

Deployment schedule is demanding and stressful as an individual in a marital relationship

9. "Great Company and Benefits"

Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer III in Englewood, CO
    Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer III in Englewood, CO

Pros

The benefits are extremely generous.
    Good management within the teams.
    Great people who are passionate about their field.
     Experience is invaluable

Cons

Long Hours
    Work life balance
    Planning for projects is sometimes difficult do to is fast paced environment.

10. "Great company"

Former Employee - Planner II in Charles Town, WV
    Former Employee - Planner II in Charles Town, WV

I worked at Sierra Nevada Corporation (More than 5 years)

Pros

This company truly makes a difference in the lives of there employees.

Cons

I really have nothing negative to say about this company. I would work for them again given the opportunity.