Sierra Nevada Corporation Reviews | Glassdoor

Sierra Nevada Corporation Reviews

Updated October 16, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great benefits and great people to work with (in 31 reviews)

• s 401K match has made it impossible for me to contribute anything less than the maximum that SNC will match (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-Life Balance can be horrible (in 22 reviews)

• No major cons - minor growing pains as an organization overall (in 17 reviews)

"Principle system engineer"

Former Employee - Principal Systems Engineer in Hagerstown, MD
    Former Employee - Principal Systems Engineer in Hagerstown, MD

I worked at Sierra Nevada Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A husband and wife leaders of the company for trying to run a world-class organization.

Cons

Regional leadership was nothing more than a good old boy Network. Very poor leadership lacking corporate experience.

Advice to Management

Continue to hire people that have proven experience with large Aerospace corporations

"Used to be The Name In Manned ISR, now more like the Big Lots of ISR"

Former Employee - Field Service Engineer II
    Former Employee - Field Service Engineer II

I worked at Sierra Nevada Corporation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

About the only one left is the 401k, which I'm sure won't stick around for much longer. You can basically do anything you want and not worry about being fired because they can't keep people, so if you like to do whatever you want with no regard for the rules THIS IS YOUR PLACE!!!

Cons

Management could not care any less about you, they basically are only concerned about making themselves look good enough and get the job title needed to move onto another company. Benefits package get worse (most notably the insurance) every year! You have to quit and let them need you to come back to get promoted, while they hire people off the street with no experience at higher grades than the people who stick around through the bad times (last 4 years).

Advice to Management

Treat your people well and attempt to make their lives better instead of worse, esp the people who are deployed to the hot poo holes doing the mission away from their families, friends and home. Remember you're safely in your nice air conditioned office and going home every night, we get to do that every 90 days or so. Also stop reminding all your deployed people of all the cool fun events back stateside that we will obviously miss because we are deployed...we love getting that rubbed in our faces on a regular basis. Also when you're going to cut pay or not give annual percentage raises make sure you cover up the real reasons you aren't doing it, like because you gave money from our division to one of the more promising divisions!

"Mostly good, but corporate is getting out of touch"

Current Employee - Engineer
    Current Employee - Engineer

I have been working at Sierra Nevada Corporation full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The people are great to work with, the 401(k) matching is stellar and 9-80 schedule at my office along with 4 weeks of vacation is very nice.

Cons

They don't budge on promotions, its years of experience, period. Doesn't matter if you work tail off and your managers even go to bat for you, must have 5.0 years and 'sorry we don't do mid-year promotions'.
    When I started, on your anniversary you'd get to pick out company t-shirt/jacket or something out of a sky mall esque catalog for your gift, which got better the longer you were there, nothing crazy nice, but was something you could use. The past couple of years they've been sending out these 'customized yearbooks' basically a link to a HR enter-name-here form letter. Its really pathetic and is word for word the same every year, its actually offensive as opposed to recognizing your years of service.
    New software systems are pushed out without vetting them, the last couple years have been a complete disaster transitioning from an old system to a new one, and they didn't provide adequate training on how to use the new system and are constantly debugging it and finding errors in the migration process.

Advice to Management

Read the HR emails you send out, scattering the latest corporate buzzwords throughout them doesn't make you sound smart, it makes us wonder if you know what you are doing? Take all the money you are throwing at your high dollar HR staff and use it trim our health insurance costs and spend some time at your offices to figure out what your regular employees are doing everyday so maybe they can be more efficient. Coming once a year for a dog and pony show doesn't count.

"Great Company!!! Exciting technology. Take care of there people."

I have been working at Sierra Nevada Corporation full-time

Pros

Benefits. Mobility. Culture. Great Company.

Cons

Growth Pains. Decision Making.

Advice to Management

Push responsibility down as far as you can and the company will fly

5. "Company"

I have been working at Sierra Nevada Corporation full-time

Pros

Great benefits that is unmatched anywhere else

Cons

None to really list that can be thought of

"Engineer"

Former Employee - Engineer
    Former Employee - Engineer

I worked at Sierra Nevada Corporation full-time

Pros

Very good 401 k plan

Cons

No way for any innovations

7. "Manager"

I have been working at Sierra Nevada Corporation full-time

Pros

Great 401K program and benefits

Cons

Senior Management does not want to make changes

"SNC shows that they care for their employees"

Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Hagerstown, MD
    Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Hagerstown, MD

I have been working at Sierra Nevada Corporation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

As a mechanical engineer with a background primarily in space application, worked under a NASA contractor for the last 7+ years, and am fairly familiar with how engineering companies work. I have worked at SNC now since January '17 and am grateful to have the opportunity to learn a completely new skill set (airplanes) underneath a number of knowledgeable engineers at the Hagerstown location.

SIDE NOTE: I was delightfully surprised at the different incentives that SNC offered for me right off the bat (the small things matter to me)
    They offered a weekly "fruit guy" box (healthy snacks) free of charge to their employees, as well as incentives through Virgin Pulse to get out and walk/exercise! Kudos!

Also they have great 401K benefits and education benefits as well.

Cons

Just like every important job there can be tight deadlines. This only pertains to me, but I have to drive over 60 miles one way to come to work (as with many other SNC Hagerstown employees... must be the nature of the demographics)

Advice to Management

You guys are doing great! Thanks for all the little things offered to your employees.

"Culture vs. Personality: personality (unfortunately) wins"

I worked at Sierra Nevada Corporation full-time

Pros

Tremendous opportunity and pay; benefits are stellar, in line with the high demands they have for their employees. Incredibly smart personnel, world-class people producing terrific results.

Cons

The co-owner of the company is also the CFO; she micromanages the day to day operations to an extent that cripples innovation and experimentation. She also insists on decidedly NON best-practice approaches that people are too afraid to point out. She is willing to dismiss people and their opinions for personal reasons rather than admit that her approach might not be the best. Not open to alternate perspectives.

Advice to Management

Admit that the population that you have built is absolutely world-class, and should be treated as such. They are the best source of the improvements you want to make, and not recognizing that will eventually cripple the company.

"Great company to grow your career"

Current Employee - Corporate Support Role in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Corporate Support Role in Denver, CO

I have been working at Sierra Nevada Corporation full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I've greatly enjoyed my ~9 year career at SNC. It's a challenging, fun company to work at where you don't do the same thing everyday. I've listed some of the other pros below.

- Excellent Benefits offerings
    - Flexible work schedule (depending on department)
    - Working alongside top industry talent
    - Competitive pay
    - Little micromanagement, lots of creative freedom to solve problems/implement solutions
    - Promotions and pay increases are regular and fair
    - Customers have a real mission that is satisfying to support

Cons

- Hours can be long, can cut into family time
    - Every department is very deadline driven, can be stressful at times
    - Tools/processes are constantly in a "lag" behind business needs. Company grew too quickly to keep pace, so it's a never ending game of catch-up

Advice to Management

- Continue to invest in better infrastructure and improving processes. If we're going to operate like the "big boys", we need to have big boy tools.