Sierra Nevada Corporation Reviews | Glassdoor

Sierra Nevada Corporation Reviews

Updated May 18, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Great benefits and great people to work with (in 30 reviews)

• s 401K match has made it impossible for me to contribute anything less than the maximum that SNC will match (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-Life Balance can be horrible (in 20 reviews)

• Growing pains with the company now being a large Defense contractor (in 17 reviews)

"SNC Review"

Former Employee - Engineer in Centennial, CO
    Former Employee - Engineer in Centennial, CO

I worked at Sierra Nevada Corporation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Cutting edge work. Good location. Reasonable pay. Easy hiring experience. My interview was very informal. Mostly concentrated on soft skills. If you're an extrovert, you're in.

Cons

This place is easy to be employed at. Based on the culture, environment and reviews like glass door, certain groups have a difficult time filling positions, which means management is willing to take anyone. The good is that you can get a job here if you can spell "software" or "systems", the bad is that if you're looking for a career, you'll work with those who are just happy to have a job. Management doesn't care because they gave you support you needed in terms of personnel, but you're often stuck with someone who cannot do the job, worse yet, cannot seem to be able to be trained, or maybe doesn't even care.

Speaking of caring, management doesn't. You have issues? You are the problem. This place is very much into office politics. If you're not in management, you don't matter because you're not in a way of a manager 1 to becoming manager 2. It's like that other places as well, but this is by far worse than anywhere else.

Management often doesn't take your feedback seriously. Estimates? Management knows better. Resources? Management knows better. Technical problems? Management has done those things 10 years ago 10 times better than you can. They often solve the problems by what they feel, instead of what they know. There is almost no metrics being kept here. You are the problem, in case you didn't get that.

Again, very interesting work, but you'll end up quitting in couple years due to frustration with management and their lack of respect for you. If you do end up quitting, be prepared to be walked out and not given time to transfer your work to anyone. Management in certain groups is borderline narcissistic. They want to control your destiny.

Last thing. Opportunities for advancement are non-existent, unless you're ready to pucker up. Maybe it sounds crude, but it is the SNC reality.

Advice to Management

Respect your employees. If you do not intend to use them as a resource, don't waste their time asking for estimates if you know better. It's not okay to walk all over your employees just because they have a level of work ethic and you think you can take advantage.

"Amazing benefits"

Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Centennial, CO
    Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Centennial, CO

I have been working at Sierra Nevada Corporation full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Healthcare – [private info deleted] A few years ago, a family member was diagnosed with a serious illness, requiring extensive treatment. Thanks to the excellent medical benefits provided by SNC we only had to a pay reasonable deductible, and minimal co-payments. We used the healthcare FSA to spread out the costs and the impact to our budget was negligible.

Financial – SNC’s generous compensation has enabled me to realize what I can only describe as my “American Dream.” My [spouse] and I have been able to personally finance our [child]’s entire college education without any scholarships, grants, or student loans. It feels good to know that we have been able to help our [child] prepare for a successful career.

Retirement Preparation – I got kind of a late start on my retirement savings, but SNC’s 401K match has made it impossible for me to contribute anything less than the maximum that SNC will match. The 150% match is unheard of! It has provided the incentive that I needed to take control of my personal retirement planning. I now am comfortable that I will be financial prepared for retirement at the end of my time with SNC.

Professional Development – SNC has sponsored my attendance at many seminars and workshops over the years, elevating my technical competence and adding to the value that I bring to SNC. SNC also pays for my professional organization membership and has reimbursed me for all of my current certifications.

Continued Education – SNC supported my degree completion studies, paying all of the costs incurred. Thanks to SNC I now have the credentials to validate my formal education.

Personal Time – This is a benefit that cannot be overstated. I have always been a very dedicated employee. I work hard and I always drive myself to work whatever hours are required to get the job done right. I take great pride in my work. It’s hard to describe, but that feeling of accomplishment is something that I need on a personal level. However, just as importantly, everyone needs time away from the job. SNC’s generous PTO benefit gives me that time to spend with my family. It makes it possible to strike the proper balance between my personal and professional life.

Cons

I do not have any significant cons to disclose at this time; it is a great company and I want to make sure other current and prospective employees hear from a happy person.

Advice to Management

Continue to offer your personal touch and caring for employees as you run the company and as it grows in size and scope -- we appreciate your generosity and caring.

3. "Aircraft Records"

Current Employee - Aircraft Records in Clovis, NM
    Current Employee - Aircraft Records in Clovis, NM

Pros

Great pay scale and benefits

Cons

Deployment schedule is demanding and stressful as an individual in a marital relationship

5. "Great company! Work life balance"

Current Employee - Engineering Technician II in Louisville, CO
    Current Employee - Engineering Technician II in Louisville, CO

I have been working at Sierra Nevada Corporation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, medical dental, vision, short-term life, long-term life, bonus, pto, hoidays, 401K with employer match. Great co-workers and management very enjoyable culture with many perks.

Cons

The downside is that the pay could be better and I am not sure about the growth path. They claim to want to help you succeed in your chosen path, so I am hoping that is the case.

Advice to Management

Continue to collaborate, taking input from the employees doing the actual labor, and implenting process improvements.

6. "Great Private Company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sparks, NV

I worked at Sierra Nevada Corporation (More than a year)

Pros

Loved my immediate supervisors and team.

Cons

I didn't have a place when they lost the contract. Not their fault though.

"SNC Review"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA

I have been working at Sierra Nevada Corporation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Overall great place to work

Cons

Sometimes work load can get overwhelming.

Advice to Management

Provide leadership who can become more engaged in the success of the business.

"Fear-Based Management From Top Down"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Broad range of technology driven career positions. Engineering was a great experience as far a co-workers. The 401k matching of 150% simply can't be beat.

Cons

Accounting department runs the show in this engineering/technology company because the president is also an accountant. CEO never once came to visit our non-HQ location. The culture is quite poisonous from within. As soon as middle managers achieve dreams of advancement, pressure from above squashes that good feeling and the fear tactics kick in. Not worth the constant dodging from that point on.

Advice to Management

Though the company constantly touts that its greatest asset is its people (which is true of any company), this sure isn't the general feeling except for maybe being bought off by the massive 150% 401k matching. Be down-to-earth truly invested in your people and don't make them become different (more nasty) people to fit in with your company that owes its success to other companies that it has swallowed up.

"General, summary review"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sparks, NV

I worked at Sierra Nevada Corporation (More than a year)

Pros

SNC ownership is very ambitious and aggressive in building the SNC brand through acquisitions and a "bid to win" approach to Business Development.

Cons

Ownership uses all of the right words in defining their approach to supporting their customers, the warfighter, etc.. However, in action, they are more concerned with appeasing their customers than doing things the right way. ZERO pushback on unreasonable customer requests & demands in the effort/strategy of becoming the "contractor of choice" often puts management and employees in impossible positions.

Advice to Management

Talk the talk is all well and good. However, back it up by also walking the walk. You hire experts in their fields, but then you don't listen to the advice they provide. HIGHLY UNETHICAL!

10. "Great Company and Benefits"

Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer III in Englewood, CO
    Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer III in Englewood, CO

Pros

The benefits are extremely generous.
    Good management within the teams.
    Great people who are passionate about their field.
     Experience is invaluable

Cons

Long Hours
    Work life balance
    Planning for projects is sometimes difficult do to is fast paced environment.

"Beware the company's values, enter at your own risk..."

Former Employee - Human Resources Department in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Human Resources Department in Denver, CO

Pros

Most employees are positive, hard working individuals who desperately want the company to move forward. Easy to support the mission of helping the US warfighter.

Cons

Company is led by a CFO who wants to be involved in every minor decision. She does not trust her vice presidents, directors and managers to do the jobs they have been hired to do. She runs roughshod over whole departments (especially HR) who operate with dread of the next "edict from Eren..."

Advice to Management

Find a way to minimize the detrimental effect Erin Ozmen has on teams. Promote from within. Develop career path ingredients for all employees. Invest in tools that actually work. Pay more than lip service to the "people, process, tools" that you say are truly important.