Sierra Nevada Corporation Reviews | Glassdoor

Sierra Nevada Corporation Reviews

Updated January 11, 2018

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great benefits and great people to work with (in 33 reviews)

• s 401K match has made it impossible for me to contribute anything less than the maximum that SNC will match (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-Life Balance can be horrible (in 22 reviews)

• Growing pains with the company now being a large Defense contractor (in 18 reviews)

1. "Manager"

I have been working at Sierra Nevada Corporation full-time

Pros

Great 401K program and benefits

Cons

Senior Management does not want to make changes

"SNC shows that they care for their employees"

Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Hagerstown, MD
    Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Hagerstown, MD

I have been working at Sierra Nevada Corporation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

As a mechanical engineer with a background primarily in space application, worked under a NASA contractor for the last 7+ years, and am fairly familiar with how engineering companies work. I have worked at SNC now since January '17 and am grateful to have the opportunity to learn a completely new skill set (airplanes) underneath a number of knowledgeable engineers at the Hagerstown location.

SIDE NOTE: I was delightfully surprised at the different incentives that SNC offered for me right off the bat (the small things matter to me)
    They offered a weekly "fruit guy" box (healthy snacks) free of charge to their employees, as well as incentives through Virgin Pulse to get out and walk/exercise! Kudos!

Also they have great 401K benefits and education benefits as well.

Cons

Just like every important job there can be tight deadlines. This only pertains to me, but I have to drive over 60 miles one way to come to work (as with many other SNC Hagerstown employees... must be the nature of the demographics)

Advice to Management

You guys are doing great! Thanks for all the little things offered to your employees.

"Culture vs. Personality: personality (unfortunately) wins"

I worked at Sierra Nevada Corporation full-time

Pros

Tremendous opportunity and pay; benefits are stellar, in line with the high demands they have for their employees. Incredibly smart personnel, world-class people producing terrific results.

Cons

The co-owner of the company is also the CFO; she micromanages the day to day operations to an extent that cripples innovation and experimentation. She also insists on decidedly NON best-practice approaches that people are too afraid to point out. She is willing to dismiss people and their opinions for personal reasons rather than admit that her approach might not be the best. Not open to alternate perspectives.

Advice to Management

Admit that the population that you have built is absolutely world-class, and should be treated as such. They are the best source of the improvements you want to make, and not recognizing that will eventually cripple the company.

"Great company to grow your career"

Current Employee - Corporate Support Role in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Corporate Support Role in Denver, CO

I have been working at Sierra Nevada Corporation full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I've greatly enjoyed my ~9 year career at SNC. It's a challenging, fun company to work at where you don't do the same thing everyday. I've listed some of the other pros below.

- Excellent Benefits offerings
    - Flexible work schedule (depending on department)
    - Working alongside top industry talent
    - Competitive pay
    - Little micromanagement, lots of creative freedom to solve problems/implement solutions
    - Promotions and pay increases are regular and fair
    - Customers have a real mission that is satisfying to support

Cons

- Hours can be long, can cut into family time
    - Every department is very deadline driven, can be stressful at times
    - Tools/processes are constantly in a "lag" behind business needs. Company grew too quickly to keep pace, so it's a never ending game of catch-up

Advice to Management

- Continue to invest in better infrastructure and improving processes. If we're going to operate like the "big boys", we need to have big boy tools.

"They Have Some Work to Do"

Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Hagerstown, MD
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Hagerstown, MD

I have been working at Sierra Nevada Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay and benefits;
    Doing great work supporting war fighters

Cons

Understaffed in key roles,
    Poor Quality Management
    Key individuals promoted beyond capabilities
    Antiquated manufacturing planning system
    Poor IT tools
    Sucess dependent on heroic few
    Growing company with multiple sites worldwide being micro-managed by individuals in Sparks, examples like lack of common stock hardware causing expidite fees being paid for screws and cotter pins

Advice to Management

Lotus Notes is an inferior product
    Manufacturing directly off engineering drawings is an impediment to product quality and reproducibility
    Poor metrics result in poor forecasting and unrealistic scheduling
    Significant chance of company eventually being charged with ethics violations or fraud.

"Low morale, high turnover, zero direction"

Former Employee - Airframe and Power Plant Mechanic in Moody AFB, GA
    Former Employee - Airframe and Power Plant Mechanic in Moody AFB, GA

I worked at Sierra Nevada Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

As many have already posted the benefits rock. The amount of paid time off given is very impressive. Health benefits are low cost and somewhat better than industry average.

Cons

Pretty much everything. Turnover is ridiculously high. 1 of my coworkers told me he didn't bother to learn anyones name till they made it past year cause chances are they'd quit sooner than later. Several guys quit while I was there before they even made it last their 90 day probation because they treat people so poorly. Expect to be treated as a number not a person. Management coerces employees to do what they want and fear and intimidation tactics are the norm not the exception. There is constant threat of termination for daring to form an opinion or disagreeing with management.

Advice to Management

I have zero advice for management. It is pretty apparent that they know the situation at Moody is terrible and they turn a blind eye to it. Its apparent they care nothing about their employees and rely pn a decent benefits package in order to retain personnel.

"Promotions ?"

I worked at Sierra Nevada Corporation (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great 401k, DOM, and Assistant DOM are great to work for, most of the people you work with are good. Fantastic program to work on. The job itself is good.

Cons

Low pay, no promotions, doesn't seem like management cares if you stay or go, feel you can be easily replaced with anyone for less money.

Advice to Management

Remember where you came from, and actually listen to your people

"Aging Softwares"

Former Employee - Material Planning Coordinator in Centennial, CO
    Former Employee - Material Planning Coordinator in Centennial, CO

Pros

Great Benefits and people are hard working.

Cons

If you are a direct hire, more likely you would expect to work 10 hours a day and some management in a certain department do not have credentials which reflect to poor leadership.

Advice to Management

Get your further education and earn your degree so you can be true leaders not just managers.

"Micro-mangement at it's worst"

Current Employee - AP Mechanic in Moody AFB, GA
    Current Employee - AP Mechanic in Moody AFB, GA

I have been working at Sierra Nevada Corporation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

401k if you can put up with the place long enough to take advantage of it. Thats literally it. The work environement, mangement, morale and everything else associated with Moody program are all literally terrible. If SNC didnt offer an amazing benefits program I would be rating them zero stars.

Cons

Place is incredibly mirco managed. Long term employees walk around like zombies that have been beat to death. You get a sense that they only are sticking around becauae they have been there so long and they are taking advantage of the benefits package. Turn over rate is ridiculously high. New employees start looking for work soon after starting.

Advice to Management

Time to start over. If upper management does not realize that morale is insanley low, turn over is extremely high, and productivity is low because of middle management they don't deserve to be in upper management. If all programs are ran like they are at Moody I'm honestly surprised they stay in business.

"difficult working environment, do not recommend"

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Louisville, CO
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Louisville, CO

I worked at Sierra Nevada Corporation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Interesting projects, some intelligent people.

Cons

Unwritten rule of mandatory overtime even if there is not work to support that demand, just to show a number to upper management. Don't expect off fridays to stay around very long. Benefits seem okay, but all take a very long time to kick in, so are not even close to competitive until you have been there a long time. Lots of growing pains due to space systems increasing drastically in size in a very short amount of time. Unqualified engineers are promoted to management with little to no training or people skills. Lots of internal conflict over resources because of retained management from the different companies that SNC has acquired over time. Not a supportive environment to work in, everyone is just out for themselves and not interested in helping others or working collaboratively.

Advice to Management

Value employees.