Sierra Nevada Corporation Reviews | Glassdoor

Sierra Nevada Corporation Reviews

Updated May 18, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Great benefits and great people to work with (in 30 reviews)

• s 401K match has made it impossible for me to contribute anything less than the maximum that SNC will match (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-Life Balance can be horrible (in 20 reviews)

• Growing pains with the company now being a large Defense contractor (in 17 reviews)

"Horrible place to work"

Former Employee - Material Planner III in Centennial, CO
    Former Employee - Material Planner III in Centennial, CO

I worked at Sierra Nevada Corporation (More than 5 years)

Pros

401K, that's about it. Not much else is good at Centennial. Good places to eat nearby. I guess the location is a pro.

Cons

Managers are rude and disrespectful to their employees. They can careless if you leave the company or not. They are always right and you are always wrong. Work life balance is the worst I have ever seen. No comrodery at all, Everyone is for them selfs.

Advice to Management

Quit and let people with real management skills take your spot. Erin and Faith have no clue how their employees are being treated in Centennial by the manager.

"Passed Employee"

Former Employee - Field Service Engineer in Hagerstown, MD
    Former Employee - Field Service Engineer in Hagerstown, MD

I worked at Sierra Nevada Corporation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Get healthcare benefits and 401 K

Cons

Not a lot of work once the contract was over.

3. "Good place to work"

Current Employee - Program Manager in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at Sierra Nevada Corporation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fast paced, forward leaning company

Cons

Sometimes the pace allows poor planning

5. "Great company"

Former Employee - Planner II in Charles Town, WV
    Former Employee - Planner II in Charles Town, WV

I worked at Sierra Nevada Corporation (More than 5 years)

Pros

This company truly makes a difference in the lives of there employees.

Cons

I really have nothing negative to say about this company. I would work for them again given the opportunity.

"Management by the numbers--literally"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Denver, CO

I worked at Sierra Nevada Corporation full-time

Pros

Good benefits (though those are shrinking down to industry norms). Smart, dedicated coworkers. Exciting projects with the ability to work directly with the military customer.

Cons

I can only speak to the Centennial office, but at least there, middle management ONLY cares about "making the numbers". Expect your manager to underbid your contract, and expect to work unpaid overtime to save HIS butt. Expect to work with a lot of new guys since all the old guys have left.
    DON'T expect your manager to listen to your concerns or actually do anything for you (improve working conditions, etc). Also, unless you know someone in upper management, don't expect to see any of the training money they claim to set aside.

Of course, in middle management's defense, they have to do all the work of selling contracts, as the large and highly-paid "business development" group consists entirely of old friends of senior management. They seem to spend a lot of time on travel but never seem to actually bring in any business.

Advice to Management

Stop just looking at middle management's numbers because they're probably fudging them anyway. Start looking at retention. If all your experienced personnel (read: institutional knowledge) are leaving, there's probably a reason and it will bite you hard down the road.

"Discombobulated"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sparks, NV
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sparks, NV

Pros

401k benefits, no state taxes, location easy to access from all the Sparks/Reno area.

Cons

401k match doesn't start til a year after employment and they don't tell you.

Advice to Management

Practice as you preach.

8. "Great company, good benefits, good culture"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, CO

I worked at Sierra Nevada Corporation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Helped me as I was continuing my education around my time there as an employee. Tuition repayment for relevant/engineering classes or towards an engineering degree.

Employee supportive place. I would recommend.

Cons

Culture gets a little political around presidential elections.

Healthy snack options not offered (mostly cookies, candy, and soda).

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work, it was a great place to work!

"There's a reason for the rampant turnover..."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Katy, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Katy, TX

I worked at Sierra Nevada Corporation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Fantastic 401k match (although reduced recently); company is doing some exciting things; holiday parties and picnics can be financially rewarding if you're willing to stay long hours and brown nose - the CFO likes to give out cash awards.

Cons

There is a reason that they have such a turnover and it falls on the shoulders of the owners and their closest buddies who rarely support all of those individuals who actually get the job done. Work-life balance is merely a section in the employee handbook. If you want a life outside of work, you won't work here very long!

Advice to Management

Look in the mirror if you're at all curious as to why so many of your best employees continue to leave.

"Somewhat of a Meat-Grinder"

Former Employee - Several - Engineer, Systems, Etc in Sparks, NV
    Former Employee - Several - Engineer, Systems, Etc in Sparks, NV

I worked at Sierra Nevada Corporation full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great benefits. Opportunities to work on very respectable projects intended to improve the strategic position of our Country! Who wouldn't love that!

Cons

Can be very political. Although much lip-service is given to work-life balance, at the end of the day, you are often told, "...there's 24 hours in a day! Get it done!" While understandable that every now and then sacrifice is required, it gets old quickly when it becomes the norm. Also, the current economy, e.g. sequestration; is pushing the ownership to tighten belts much more all the time. This results in nice benefits that were there in the past are going away.

Advice to Management

Don't look at your people as disposable. Much of the communication from the ownership is simply lip service at the end of the day. You say your people are your best asset but you allow your middle management to squeeze your employees until they can't take it any longer. You also need to come to grip with the fact that SNC is not the only game in town (Sparks) any longer - competition is rising for quality engineers and you will have to pay accordingly. I know for a fact that you've lost amazing people because they simply asked for the 'going rate' for their skillset.

"Clueless Management"

Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer II in Centennial, CO
    Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer II in Centennial, CO

I worked at Sierra Nevada Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Exciting work, interesting projects, got to work on projects that would make a difference, fast paced atmosphere, smaller company, good advancement opportunities

Cons

Low Pay, Clueless Management, constant back-stabbing, management never listened to engineering, leading to proposals and timelines that were simply not possible, very political work environment, very high turnover rate

Advice to Management

Listen to your engineers, promote people who deserve it, a company that young should not have an "old boy" club