Sightline Media Group Reviews | Glassdoor

1. "Office Coordinator"

Current Employee - Office Coordinator in Tukwila, WA
    Current Employee - Office Coordinator in Tukwila, WA

I have been working at Sightline Media Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The patient's I worked for appreciated our office we always put them first.

Cons

This was a great place to work.

Advice to Management

I worked with a great group very professional

2. "We care for our brands"

Current Employee - Mid Career Business Professional in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Mid Career Business Professional in McLean, VA

I have been working at Sightline Media Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

My colleagues are extremely hard working and decent. Most importantly, we care for each other. Our brands are highly recognized and appreciated in the market.

Cons

Parent company does not pay bills on-time which is frustrating at times. There are still some people who have old school mentality. They can't keep up with fast paced changes- uninnovative Gannett times are long gone. Benefits are decent, but pay could be better.

Advice to Management

Hire more young professionals to freshen up the company culture.
    New mgmt has great energy and clear vision.

3. "Only if you REALLY need a job."

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Sightline Media Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Sometimes you just need a job. If so, Sightline is fine. But if you value a strong culture, great brands, strong and supportive management, and really nice people, I'd suggest you keep looking. You will not find that here.

Cons

Editorial side management is OK, but business side is completely lost. They have little idea what they need to do to grow the brand. Competitors have them out flanked on all fronts - and they have no answer. Ad sales, circulation, operations, etc are all a complete disaster. The CEO (third one in last 15 months) is a mess and has a hard time getting much done.

Advice to Management

Find new leadership before this brand fades completely. There are still some good people here - for now. But, they are all looking.

4. "Coming back"

Current Employee - Journalist in Tyson's Corner, Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Journalist in Tyson's Corner, Fairfax, VA

I have been working at Sightline Media Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

new management, new dynamic and direction, new modern office, editors involved in management of the company, more listening to employees than in past, digital and video emphasis, great media brands and great journalists

Cons

still working through problems from the past, got rid of poor leadership, thin staffing, some disgruntled employees, new ownership not paying bills on time.

Advice to Management

keep the forward momentum and keep true to the value of the brands. Start paying the bills on time and treat contract employees better.

"Client Solutions Specialist"

Former Employee - Client Solutions Specialist in Springfield, VA
    Former Employee - Client Solutions Specialist in Springfield, VA

Pros

Great Teleworking Opportunities, Self-directed work

Cons

Laid Off, Poor Morale, No Career Development

"Huge Layoffs"

Current Employee - Anonymous in Springfield, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Springfield, VA

I have been working at Sightline Media Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Was a good place because of the team work between departments

Cons

Toxic, empty chairs after second round of layoffs in 1 month.

Advice to Management

Let employees know if there is a future

"You don't want to work here"

I have been working at Sightline Media Group full-time

Pros

If you have no options and no job and you are living on the street in a cardboard box wondering how your going to get your next meal, working here is better than that. For all other people, this place is burning down. We were recently sold by a media empire to a not-media-empire. Why would a not-media-empire want a media empires castoffs? Because they own some other junk media, and they want to combine this junk with that junk and make a Big Junk Media Junkyard. Then they can cut even further (over 50 people fired this year) and turn a big profit on a little investment. Plus, Jeff Bezos bought the Washington Post and Chris Hughes bought the New Republic, so owning a Junk Media Junkyard is now everyone percenters dream, like driving a Buggati or vacationing in San Trope. Trophy wife with a silicone rack? Check. Donation to Donald Trump? Check. Junk Media Junkyard to show your buddies? Check. The only pro to coming to work here now is that they basically only fire people who have worked here for a long time, so you'll enjoy some job security for a year while you quickly realize you made a terrible mistake.

Cons

Everything here is cons. Between the firings and the people fleeing to other things, the situation is only getting worse. One VP just didn't show up for work anymore. It's that bad. So, naturally the saying is "give it time" but I'm already here so ok, time while I apply for jobs. You are not here already, so don't come here. Give it time, come here like five years from now if it still exists.

Advice to Management

We know you got kicked out the TEGNA club, too, so your big dreams of being a media empire leader are over. And they let you stay while they fired the others so you probably think that means something, but everyone here knows that they should have fired you also. Somebody had to stay behind and you got left here to manage the junk. You were the best of the worst. They will probably fire you too if you don't make some money which is some pressure, but now you don't have other people to blame it on. I think its funny that that other VPs don't want to work with you and quit instead of working with you, because they know this is doomed. My advice is to just leave everyone alone and don't talk to us while we quietly search for new jobs on linked in and glassdoor.

"Bad leadership for decades."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Springfield, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Springfield, VA

I worked at Sightline Media Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Not many. The work was alright. Some groups had good rapport with one another. That is about it.

Cons

Leadership - CEO and Editor in Chief - Over the last few decades ran the company into the ground. They dug a hole the company has not been able to pull itself out of. The company was not doing well in the late 90s, but since 2001 with multiple wars were being waged, the money was rolling in by the truckload

But, leadership decided that was time to invest in anything they felt like, except the company. They had flawed products, outdated products, flawed processes, and ineffective management - as well as many crappy workers - but leadership literally had no business sense. One was an editor, the other a sales person. Together, they didn't know how to lead a company, let alone keep up with the challenges of the digital era and new competition.

So, they spent the last decade and a half going whichever way the wind blew. If a buddy or contact met them at a trade show and said "I'd like to see xyz," With not a single ounce of research or planning, they would start building a whole new product based on that conversation. If we were lucky, it was based on "multiple" conversations. Because "my contact who is a so-and-so said we should be doing this, and I thought it was a great idea." Or, "I want to build an XYZ, so let's build an XYZ and launch it in 6 months."

I am not kidding the EIC, said in a meeting once - almost verbatim: "A friend of mine met with me at the Paris Air Show, he's a blah blah at ABC Co. He asked me if we do social media outreach. I had to say 'No.' We should start offering social media marketing services to other companies because they need it. " ... What? We are a news company, not a marketing agency. We didn't even have OUR OWN social media team - we had a couple editors who knew how to post on Twitter. How are we supposed to offer social marketing services? Yet, he made a plan for the company's rebirth over the next several years with "social media services" as the cornerstone. WHY?!

So, when all was said and done, $50K or 100K into a failed product they'd shutter it, furlough everyone for a week, and fire some people to make up for the mistake. Not once did they think - "Maybe shooting from the hip is a bad idea." Nope, they doubled down on even dumber products. Like throwing hail marys with a blindfold on.

TEGNA finally fired the CEO after a botched reorg and got a new one in 2014. He was more responsive and forward thinking, but sought consensus to a fault. The new guy couldn't make a decision to save a life. If he did make a decision, it came only after months of redundant committee meetings. Then he wouldn't hold anyone accountable to the plans! So all the leftover cronies and bad elements that were still doing bbq's at the old leadership's homes, continued to refuse to adapt and blatantly disregarded plans for change - and even wrote letters to the CEO about how they were not going to do what he wanted. Not only did they get to stay and further screw everyone else over, they even got bonuses and raises while the company was barely breaking even. Some other people in that same year 2015 got 1% raises - 1%!! And that was the first raise most of them got in 9 years! Completely ridiculous.

Now in 2016, after TWO reorgs, TWO CEOs, and TWO layoffs in as many years, the company was sold, and guess what - MORE LAYOFFS and another new CEO. Not to mention there has been an exodus over the last year of not less than 45 people leaving on their own accord - some without jobs to go to. It's a mess. And it's very sad. It was a company with great potential that was squandered by arrogant, short-sighted, and selfish leadership.

Advice to Management

Learn from these mistakes.

Start paying market rates for your employees.
    Stop with the cronyism.
    Enforce change, especially when there is resistance.
    Get rid of bad elements who fight progress.

"A good stepping stone"

Former Employee - Staff Writer/Editor in Springfield, VA
    Former Employee - Staff Writer/Editor in Springfield, VA

I worked at Sightline Media Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I got some great experience as a writer and editor covering defense and aerospace technology, as well as some great opportunities to travel. My boss was a great mentor but once she left there was little left for me with the company.

Cons

I'm not sure how much it's changed since 2012, but I definitely felt like the company was far behind the times in terms of digital journalism and social media.

Advice to Management

Get into the modern age to retain young talent. This includes a focus on work-life balance as opposed to expecting writers and editors to adhere to traditional 9-5. Equip them with the proper technology to do their jobs from home and in the field.

Sightline Media Group Response

Jul 28, 2015 – Digital Marketing Manager

Thank you for the feedback! Sightline Media Group has changed a lot since 2012. For one thing, our parent company Gannett split into two public companies (digital and print). Our efforts to... More

"Good products. No leadership. No vision. No support."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Springfield, VA

I have been working at Sightline Media Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Some of us still believe in the product and the audience who reads it.

Cons

The new president is worse than the old one, but how? No forward-thinking, all reaction. No employee appreciation. Decades of experience and journalistic heritage but the company wants to act like a startup, which would be ok if they could make a decision in less than 3 weeks.

Advice to Management

Hire some managers with real skills. Don't let us reach a new rock bottom.

Sightline Media Group Response

Jun 30, 2015 – Digital Marketing Manager

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We're taking your feedback very seriously, and we want to improve the situation.