Sightline Media Group Reviews | Glassdoor

2.5
Michael Reinstein
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Getting it on right track"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tysons, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tysons, VA

I have been working at Sightline Media Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Improving company culture, great and fun colleagues, digital emphasis, management cares about our markets and brands. Wave of new talent coming in without baggage from past. Generally flexible work conditions. Commitment to journalism and integrity. Optimism about future.

Cons

Parent company hordes cash for other acquisitions and needs to pay bills and expenses more timely. Laptops and office equipment are antiquated and broken. Most people from the TEGNA/Gannett days with negative attitudes have left but a handful cling on. There is no HR person.

Advice to Management

Keep in transforming the business but invest in better technology. Keep going digital and bringing in new talent. Get parent company to pay bills on time and learn the business better.

2. "security"

Former Employee - Security Guard in Jordan, AR
    Former Employee - Security Guard in Jordan, AR

I worked at Sightline Media Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

this is my best job in wich I can find my self happy
    help me for that
    best regards

Cons

I do in this long time
    this is my job and I have my own courses and training wich makes me beter

Advice to Management

no idea
    but I advice to choose the best person to the best site or work

3. "This place is a circus. Avoid."

I have been working at Sightline Media Group full-time

Pros

some nice coworkers at operations level, editorial staff keeps heads low and keeps it together, established brands respected in market, you can make your own hours and come and go as you please as managers work odd hours.

Cons

Scheming and self serving managers desprate to get ahead and kiss up to L.A. ownership. L.A. plays favorites so the worst and most poisonous manager is teflon. Pay is low to DC area but they act like they're doing you a big favor. Company can't pay bills and does a shell game with suppliers and employees so that is a constant worry. L.A. ownership is fake about everything.

Advice to Management

listen to all employees not just your personal favorites. Pay employees what they deserve, treat us fairly, start to be honest and you will have better result.

4. "Editorial assistant"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Pros

Being at a media company

Cons

AWFUL pay, little respect poor management

Advice to Management

Work with new new hires show respect

"Great Mission"

I have been working at Sightline Media Group full-time

Pros

The mission of the company to Serve Those Who Serve is done well with fantastic editorial staff.

Cons

Not enough hours in the day to report on all the military news.

"Come a long way"

I have been working at Sightline Media Group full-time

Pros

This company has gone through enormous change in the last few years- transitioning culture and approach to become a company focused on digital media, embracing of new ideas, and respectful of excellence in journalism. I suspect the negative comments here are from those either unwilling or unable to adapt, or who couldn’t work in a fast paced environment. But those who stayed through the transition, and those who came on board in the last couple of years, seem inspired, reenergized and excited to be a part of something pretty great. The newsroom in particular travels the world, hears incredible stories from military leaders.. all thanks to the power of these brands and their own stellar reputations. It’s inspiring. After years of neglect, leadership finally is in it for the right reasons and recognizes the jewels that these brands are — dedicated and passionate about their success and appreciative of the people. The CEO is a super strategic guy with a lot of energy and a lot of ideas who is fiercely loyal to those he feels are all in (a phrase he uses often). He’s a big personality, and he’s not afraid to push for change, but the company would not have come so far without that. .. and the staff appreciates what seems to be a sincere love for what these brands stand for.

Cons

expectations are high. Too high for some maybe. But dedication and passion are rewarded

Advice to Management

Understand that transformation happens gradually .. one step at a time, even if at a rapid pace.

"Keep Looking"

I have been working at Sightline Media Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Some great people work here. Good brands.

Cons

Great people and brands don't make up for the negatives. Management is a mess. President is untrustworthy. His leadership style is extremely toxic.

Advice to Management

Owners need to get rid of the president. Find someone with experience and strategic vision.

"Strong brands"

I worked at Sightline Media Group full-time

Pros

The brands are one of a kind. Nice employees. Overall OK place to work if you are in media and journalism.

Cons

...it is media. Media is an ever-changing landscape and this place still relies on print revenue. Rip the band-aid off and go digital-only.

"Consider yourself warned!!"

I worked at Sightline Media Group full-time

Pros

Rank-and-file staff members for the most part are smart, talented, and hard-working. Flexible work hours but your butt better be in a seat at some point during the day.

Cons

Where to begin? They promise telework options but then want you in the office every day (so don't believe them). Upper management sucks, they play favorites and the company president is a nut job and impossible to ignore when he's running through the office shouting. Pay isn't great. Just when you think morale can't go lower, surprise! It does. Parent company takes months to pay bills so if you're waiting for a reimbursement or payment, keep waiting. Talent is streaming out the door, but all the losses get spun in a fake "positive" light. Getting out was the best thing I could do.

Advice to Management

Start over with a new company president. Keep your talented staff relatively happy, at least let them work from home sometimes. Pay bills on time.

10. "Exciting time!"

I have been working at Sightline Media Group full-time

Pros

Great place to work. Was neglected for a while under Gannett but the new owners have been trying to actively make changes to the culture and things are looking up!

Cons

Business is in transition from primarily print to primarily digital and if you are stuck in your ways you will be left behind.