Sightline Media Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated November 29, 2018

2.3
Michael Reinstein

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Very good quality staff at the rank-and-file level; they work hard and turn in solid work" (in 3 reviews)

• "There are some great people in the company, newsroom, sales and circulation" (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • "Parent company does not pay bills on-time which is frustrating at times" (in 5 reviews)

• "Parent company takes months to pay bills so if you're waiting for a reimbursement or payment, keep waiting" (in 3 reviews)

1. "Getting it on right track"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tysons, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tysons, VA

I have been working at Sightline Media Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Improving company culture, great and fun colleagues, digital emphasis, management cares about our markets and brands. Wave of new talent coming in without baggage from past. Generally flexible work conditions. Commitment to journalism and integrity. Optimism about future.

Cons

Parent company hordes cash for other acquisitions and needs to pay bills and expenses more timely. Laptops and office equipment are antiquated and broken. Most people from the TEGNA/Gannett days with negative attitudes have left but a handful cling on. There is no HR person.

Advice to Management

Keep in transforming the business but invest in better technology. Keep going digital and bringing in new talent. Get parent company to pay bills on time and learn the business better.

"It's a job."

I have been working at Sightline Media Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice coworkers. Interesting audience and market. It's an opportunity to get working experience in journalism and media. The best managers try to shield employees from the chaos and have commitment. Flexibility is ok mostly and you can work from home often.

Cons

You have to put up with a lot of chaos, uncertainty, stupid decisions, egos. It's not a place to grow your career. Limited opportunities, no career path, no one cares and pay is not great. Clueless business management. Shady owners rake the company for cash are deceitful and are slow in payments. No sense of direction.

Advice to Management

Get a clue.

3. "Dead end for your career"

I worked at Sightline Media Group full-time

Pros

great mission/audience, some great producer level employees, the building is convenient if you live in NOVA

Cons

Working at Sightline feels like being aboard the Titanic. No, not everyone is bad, but management/ownership is a mess. Bills were regularly not paid. Most people seem to have given up and are waiting for the inevitable shutdown of the company. The brands have a great mission and a wonderful audience. It is a shame the business has been so poorly mismanaged. Working at Sightline is a dead end for your career and will set you back a few years. SMG has a poor / shady reputation in the DC Metro area and will reflect on you negatively.

"unstable and unraveling"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tyson's Corner, Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tyson's Corner, Fairfax, VA

I have been working at Sightline Media Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

if you have served or love the military and can tune out bad management and unethical business practices, that may be rewarding on an individual basis. Strong legacy brands. Quality work being done by dedicated individuals despite the dysfunction. The best thing about Sightline is the people we serve and colleagues you share the sad and crazy journey with.

Cons

Crazy disjointed management by venture capitalists and their minions. The VC ownership is worst of breed, very dishonest. Sad internal joke is they never pay bills or expenses on time as they shuffle cash and leave employees holding the bag. Dedicated employees treated badly, which is hard to witness. The company has been through wild ups and downs. There is always hype and spin but there isn't much trust or hope.

Advice to Management

The one thing that is clear is that management doesn't care about advice or employees.

5. "security"

Former Employee - Security Guard in Jordan, AR
    Former Employee - Security Guard in Jordan, AR

I worked at Sightline Media Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

this is my best job in wich I can find my self happy
    help me for that
    best regards

Cons

I do in this long time
    this is my job and I have my own courses and training wich makes me beter

Advice to Management

no idea
    but I advice to choose the best person to the best site or work

"This place is a circus. Avoid."

I have been working at Sightline Media Group full-time

Pros

some nice coworkers at operations level, editorial staff keeps heads low and keeps it together, established brands respected in market, you can make your own hours and come and go as you please as managers work odd hours.

Cons

Scheming and self serving managers desprate to get ahead and kiss up to L.A. ownership. L.A. plays favorites so the worst and most poisonous manager is teflon. Pay is low to DC area but they act like they're doing you a big favor. Company can't pay bills and does a shell game with suppliers and employees so that is a constant worry. L.A. ownership is fake about everything.

Advice to Management

listen to all employees not just your personal favorites. Pay employees what they deserve, treat us fairly, start to be honest and you will have better result.

"Editorial assistant"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Pros

Being at a media company

Cons

AWFUL pay, little respect poor management

Advice to Management

Work with new new hires show respect

"Great Mission"

I have been working at Sightline Media Group full-time

Pros

The mission of the company to Serve Those Who Serve is done well with fantastic editorial staff.

Cons

Not enough hours in the day to report on all the military news.

"Come a long way"

I have been working at Sightline Media Group full-time

Pros

This company has gone through enormous change in the last few years- transitioning culture and approach to become a company focused on digital media, embracing of new ideas, and respectful of excellence in journalism. I suspect the negative comments here are from those either unwilling or unable to adapt, or who couldn’t work in a fast paced environment. But those who stayed through the transition, and those who came on board in the last couple of years, seem inspired, reenergized and excited to be a part of something pretty great. The newsroom in particular travels the world, hears incredible stories from military leaders.. all thanks to the power of these brands and their own stellar reputations. It’s inspiring. After years of neglect, leadership finally is in it for the right reasons and recognizes the jewels that these brands are — dedicated and passionate about their success and appreciative of the people. The CEO is a super strategic guy with a lot of energy and a lot of ideas who is fiercely loyal to those he feels are all in (a phrase he uses often). He’s a big personality, and he’s not afraid to push for change, but the company would not have come so far without that. .. and the staff appreciates what seems to be a sincere love for what these brands stand for.

Cons

expectations are high. Too high for some maybe. But dedication and passion are rewarded

Advice to Management

Understand that transformation happens gradually .. one step at a time, even if at a rapid pace.

"Keep Looking"

I have been working at Sightline Media Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Some great people work here. Good brands.

Cons

Great people and brands don't make up for the negatives. Management is a mess. President is untrustworthy. His leadership style is extremely toxic.

Advice to Management

Owners need to get rid of the president. Find someone with experience and strategic vision.