Sigma Space Reviews in Lanham, MD | Glassdoor

Lanham, MD

3.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Marcos Sirota

1. "Flexible and great professional growth opportunities"

I have been working at Sigma Space full-time

Pros

I have been able to excel in my position in part because I have taken the time to ask questions and ask for help if need be. It is a very busy working environment but I have found that my approach to keeping open communication with the staff and management, we are all able to expand on current ideas and generate new ones as we work towards future projects. You have the freedom to get involved with all departments which is welcomed and encouraged. I find the atmosphere to be easy going and flexible yet focused and open to suggestions.

Cons

Should have more employee events as the layout doesn't permit for much interaction with some colleagues.

Advice to Management

Nurture the relationship with your employee- even if it isn't established instantly by the them, some of us can be shy.

May 27, 2015 – HR Administrator

Thank you for your review and recommendation. Communication is a strong focus, as only through effective communication can we make streamlining projects and exceeding deadlines as a team possible.

2. "You Get out what you put in"

Former Employee - Web Developer in Lanham, MD
    Former Employee - Web Developer in Lanham, MD

I worked at Sigma Space full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Staff, flexibilty, benefits, and environment...
    Most of the people that I worked with at Sigma Space were really great people who I got along with well and felt comfortable talking to about projects, life, and responsibilites.
    My hours for my team were flexible, and if I needed time off to attend to my daughter or take care of a personal issue, they understood and allowed me to make up hours.
    The Benefits for the company were strong and the environment allowed me to grow quickly and feel comfortable as I did so.

Cons

Salary and lack of support...
    At times I felt like I was being underpaid for the work that I was doing with the company. But I was brought in right out of college for my first job and I cant complain because they took a chance on me and gave me the tools that I needed when asked. When I asked for a raise, I was given it (Maybe not to what I was looking for, but it helped nonetheless)
    In terms of my position with the company, I was on an island. I was brought in as an intern, and didnt have and senior leadership or anybody to work with. I had to learn and grow on my own. Depending on the person that can be a good thing or bad, but I was able to put my head down and adapt well, learn on my own, and grow substantially during my time.

Advice to Management

In terms of my position with the company and the situations that I was apart of, the communication needed to be stronger. Expectations are set, but PMs and managers just let their employees do what they need and are given too much freedom. They put the responsibility on the employee to communicate to them. If I was managing a project, I would want to check in more frequently and see status updates more often. Set deadlines to push employees. Things can get too lax, deadlines can be missed, and projects get taken away when employees don't even know whats going on.

May 27, 2015 – HR Administrator

Thank you for your review and recommendation. We have taken steps to ensure proper project management and defining clear communication between management and employees to have an ongoing support ... More

"Interesting company"

Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Lanham, MD
    Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Lanham, MD

Pros

Challenging work with a great group of people. The instrument design is vertically integrated thru optical, electrical, mechanical, and software engineers. So you get to interact with the entire design and have system level interaction early on.

Cons

They have good technology but try to fund development thru outside contracts, not building the next version until someone wants to by something.

May 20, 2015 – HR Administrator

Thank you for your review. We have set forth different processes to stay on top of innovation and provide our employees the opportunity to explore and engage in challenging yet rewarding projects as ... More

"Sigma Space is not where you want to be"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lanham, MD

I have been working at Sigma Space full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The contract I worked on had a lot of experienced, knowledgeable people on it that came from the previous company. Found out they were highly dedicated to the contract, not the company.
    Location. Right off the Beltway.

Cons

Lost important NASA contract then ungracefully claimed the winner did something unethical. This led to a lengthy delay in transition.
    Management allowed to nurture an "us vs them" culture. Poor or stinted communication. Lack of people skills in most middle management. Fear and public belittling tactics used.
    Management ignorance and/or disdain for company's code of ethics. Racism and misogyny evident.
    No upper movement from within. All hiring comes from outside. Extensive turnover in past year. Disregard for experience, level of education, and prior performance reviews.
    Managers did not understand the project mission then, expected employees to work without time or monetary compensation over normal hours when goals not met.
    Managers were disorganized with personnel paperwork and project task items, constantly asking for resubmission.

Advice to Management

Work on your management personnel hiring. Consider installing a worthy management training program. Cultivate your employees. They are an investment. When you win a successful project understand that the people that come with it are the ones that made that project successful.

May 19, 2015 – HR Administrator

Thank you for your review and advice to management. We understand that the loss of the contract unfortunately meant the displacement of personnel and the quick influx of employees was not ... More

6. "Great COmpany"

Current Intern - Nasa Intern in Lanham, MD
    Current Intern - Nasa Intern in Lanham, MD

I have been working at Sigma Space as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of events every month.
    Friendly colleagues.
    Really interesting work

Cons

Low pay but as an intern i do not expect a lot

May 19, 2015 – HR Administrator

Thank you for your review and recommendation. We appreciate the insight you have provided and look forward to providing continuous positive experiences to our staff members.

"Upper management is kind but clueless"

Former Employee - N/A in Lanham, MD
    Former Employee - N/A in Lanham, MD

I worked at Sigma Space full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I think upper management really tries to create a family atmosphere. This works in some areas of the company, while other areas are so tormented by their mid-level managers to the point that they refuse to participate in any company activities.

Cons

Mid-level management inept, racist and sexist. HR non-responsive. For such a small company, upper management should be more aware of what goes on in the trenches.

Advice to Management

Take note of which types of employees are forced to leave on their own due to discriminatory practices by mid-level managers or are 'let go' due to budget constraints. I think you will be surprised at the pattern that results in certain contract/task areas.

May 27, 2015 – HR Administrator

Thank you for your review and advice. We have recognized these areas of concern and have assessed guidelines to manage the outcome of these situations/contracts. We at Sigma do not condone such ... More

8. "Great Company to Work For"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Lanham, MD
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Lanham, MD

I have been working at Sigma Space full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Exciting and innovative project, tight knit employee community, flexibility, opportunities are abound to contribute and make a difference, everyone is valued, salaries are above average, good benefits

Cons

Sigma is constantly growing, obtaining new and challenge projects. Some transition work is always required during periods of growth. I don't view this as a con necessarily, just an area of focus for improvement on training and processes/procedures to create efficiencies.

Advice to Management

Continue to be employee focused, a happy employee is a loyal and long term employee.

May 27, 2015 – HR Administrator

Thank you for your review and recommendation. We have set forth management guidelines and processes for better efficiency as we continue to grow as a company and team. We encourage and promote a ... More

9. "Good company... if you aren't a software engineer"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Lanham, MD
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Lanham, MD

I worked at Sigma Space full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very good labs, good office space, relatively easy location to commute to. Great place to work if you are electrical, optical, or mechanical engineer. CEO is very nice.

Cons

Project management lacks direction, constant firefighting, constant task switching. There is an open corporate cultural bias against software developers. Understaffed to the point of being tasked over 200% continuously. Some days you will be pulled several times onto different projects. There are a few "legacy employees" who definitely need to be let go and are holding the company back.

Advice to Management

Stop shuffling people from project to project. Try to act like you care about the software efforts - even with the company being hardware oriented these folks are part of the team. I would not recommend this place to another software engineer, but I would to an EE or ME.

May 27, 2015 – HR Administrator

Thank you for your review and advice. We have implemented management guidelines to manage projects and promote communication between managers and employees. These new guidelines surround cross ... More

10. "small vision, petty"

Former Employee - Programmer in Lanham, MD
    Former Employee - Programmer in Lanham, MD

I worked at Sigma Space full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

small teams, you get to know everyone. no clock watching, you do your job and your hours and you're fine.

Cons

projects and teams are kept separate (even in different buildings) so there's absolutely no interaction. hiring is random. they also let go a lot people and then scramble to find replacements. the pay is lower than industry average. they promote "volunteering" but on your vacation time. CEO is very nice, but largely clueless.. Some management staff acts downright mean!

Jun 5, 2015 – HR Administrator

Thank you for your review. We have progressively been improving management guidelines and practices to engage all employees and departments to form a cohesive team environment. Since 2012, various ... More

"Very odd place"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lanham, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lanham, MD

Pros

Friendly people, investment in facilities. SS has some very impressive facilities: just moved to a nice new building when I departed. Owner of the company is a great guy - his heart is in the right place and I had the impression that he truly cared about his employees. Can't say the same for the junior owner however.

Cons

Cheap - penny pinching! Will *not* spend $300 on a vital piece of equipment if it is needed. Very poor and incompetent IT department. Extremely overworked employees - some folks are working 3 or 4 projects at a time basically not making project on any of them. Virtually no communication in the company at all. Oddly, senior management seems to have hired several folks from their church to staff various admin positions regardless of their qualifications.

Advice to Management

Kick out the bible bumpers. Spend a buck on needed equipment, and hire a few people. Replace your IT staff.

Jun 8, 2015 – HR Administrator

Thank you for your review. We appreciate your feedback and have made several changes to improve our processes to obtain a focused and team based environment working efficiently and effectively ... More