Sikich Reviews | Glassdoor

3.8
Sikich CEO Christopher Geier
Christopher Geier

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Flexible schedules, Above average compensation, work life balance is strongly encouraged, staff input is very important and excellent training program (in 9 reviews)

• Great people, ahead of technology, and excellent training resources for training (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Health insurance is not very good (in 8 reviews)

• The 401k match is lower than average (in 5 reviews)

1. "Sales"

I have been working at Sikich full-time

Pros

Sikich is a great company. Great culture, great people. They really care about their employees.

Cons

Starting base pay is a bit low for similar positions, but you have the chance to make up for that quickly with commissions

Advice to Management

Keep it up. Great job.

"Architect"

I have been working at Sikich full-time

Pros

Remote work available but collaboration is mostly non existent.

Cons

Too many cooks in the kitchen. Leadership does not seem to be aligned and heading in the same direction.

Advice to Management

Come together- one message/objective.

"Good place to work, depending on your department/manager"

I have been working at Sikich full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

These largely apply to the technology department. They may not be as applicable to the CPA/Accounting/Admin sides of the firm

- Flexible work schedule with the ability to work from home when needed
    - Most teams have some very smart people at the top to learn from
    - Nice, modern offices. Parking garages in the Naperville office are a big bonus during the winter
    - Upper management will work with you, to the best of their abilities, if you would like to learn something new or change departments
    - Easy access to upper management
    - Mentoring / Professional Development programs
    - Wellness Reimbursement
    - Minimum 4 weeks of vacation time a year.
    - Strong CEO with a good vision of where the company is going
    - 401k match

Cons

- Billable hour quotas are on the high side
    - Technology departments are very silo'd and often don't work together towards a common goal
    - There are entirely too many partners with too few managers. Its very much an hour glass structure
    - The health insurance is bad, plain and simple. It's too expensive with too high of deductibles. HR's response is that it is inline with other firm's, but that is not the case. If you have a family, you're at $600 a month + the required yearly deductible. It adds up really quickly
    - There is fairly high turnover due to amount of work that is expected

Advice to Management

Sikich has enough partners. Every merger brings in at least one new partner, usually multiple; at some point there has to be enough. Work on getting the technology department to function as one department with the common goal of providing the best solutions/services to Sikich's customers, and not what is best for their specific department.

Continue working towards the growth of the firm and work on promoting from within instead of favoring bringing in outside people who may or may not fit into the culture.

4. "Great Place to Work!"

I have been working at Sikich full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great culture and wonderful employees

Cons

There really not any cons so far

"Senior Accountant"

Current Employee - Senior Accountant
    Current Employee - Senior Accountant

I have been working at Sikich full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Overall, Sikich is a mid-size accounting firm that is rapidly growing - mostly through mergers. Management's goal is to lead Sikich to being a multi-service firm that provides everything from tech services, auditing, taxes, consultation, etc. I have done mostly auditing during my time; so my comments are based on my experience with the CPA practice.

Perhaps the best benefit to working at Sikich is that you get exposure to a lot of high-level accounting projects early in your career. With auditing, you get to work on a lot of areas for several types of clients. In my opinion, this is some of the best accounting experience you can get, especially if you're right out of college.

I am very satisfied with the leaders of Sikich. They have clear goals over the direction and growth of the firm. Overall, I believe they value their employees and if you work hard, I believe management will work with you to give you the career you want.

One of my favorite things about working at Sikich is that you're allowed to work fairly independently. You don't have someone constantly looking over your shoulder. This allows you a certain amount of comfort and independence in trying to figure out new things.

The firm will invest in you and help you to grow. They offer a reimbursement program for taking the CPA exam. All new hires are assigned a mentor. If you ask for certain opportunities (such as wanting to work within a certain industry), I believe management will work with you to the best of their ability. Raises are pretty good, especially after you have a couple of years under your belt.

The workspaces are very nice in all the offices I have been to.

The best benefit is time off. Starting in 2018, every employee gets approx. 4 weeks. There isn't an official limit on vacation days; but 4 weeks is the guideline. Parental leave is also pretty generous. Fathers get 3 weeks of paid paternity leave. Mothers get 12 weeks.

Overall, I feel that the worklife balance is pretty good for a public accounting firm. My guess is that most staff work about 50 hours/week during busy season and 40-45 hours/week during the rest of the year. Turnover isn't quite as bad as it is at other CPA firms.

Cons

By far, the biggest disadvantage to Sikich is their healthcare plan. Sikich offers only one plan - the high deductible plan. The premiums are about $100/mo if you're single (which isn't so bad); but those costs jump to $600/mo for family coverage. There are no co-pays, so you pay 100% of costs until the deductibles are met. Individual deductibles are about $3,000; and family are just over $5,000. So it's possible that between the premiums ($600 * 12 = $7,200) and deductibles ($5,000), health insurance can cost you over $12,000 per year if you're on Sikich's family plan.

The 401k match is fairly basic at just 2% of your salary. Vesting is 20% each year; fully vesting after 5 years.

At times, it can feel that the Naperville office gets too much attention. It's a little frustrating when many of the trainings and meetings are conducted live in Naperville, while the other offices have to watch them on a computer screen.

Work gets a little more political once you get into the manager-level positions. Whenever the firm brings in outside talent at that level, it seems to ruffle some feathers with current managers. It can also be disheartening to watch certain opportunities go to the same few guys over and over again.

One of my biggest peeves about Sikich is that they put a clause in their engagement letters that if a client hires a Sikich employee, that client has to pay Sikich a fee equal to 30% of that employee's new salary. This can limit an employee's options if they decide to leave Sikich.

Advice to Management

Overall, I've really enjoyed my time with Sikich. I think it's been a great place to get started in my career. I have always felt valued and I like the open-door policy that the partners have with their staff. I have appreciated the recent changes made to benefits - such as the increased days off and the generous parental leave policy. I really enjoy Sikich Snapshots, in which the CEO and other partners update the employees on the status of the firm and the future they envision. I think Chris Geier was a great choice to follow in the footsteps of Jim Sikich.

I wish management made some changes to certain benefits. I wish the 401k match was closer to 3-4%; and the family premiums were more affordable. Sikich is trying to attract and retain CPAs - and these benefits are not particularly attractive.

I wish offices outside of Naperville were given more attention. Sikich Snapshots could be held in different offices from time-to-time. It kind of sucks watching Sikich Snapshots and trainings on the computer while the employees in Naperville always get to watch live - and often with free food and chances to win prizes.

I wish management would stop charging its clients a 30% fee whenever they hire a Sikich employees. If an employee wants to work somewhere else; Sikich should be classy and help them and not throw barriers in their path.

All in all, you run a really good business and I certainly feel that that the benefits outweigh any drawbacks. I would definitely recommend Sikich to anyone considering

6. "Good Company, Dependent on Your Manager"

I have been working at Sikich full-time

Pros

- Truly Care about the Employees overall happiness
    - Good food during tax season :)
    - Minimum 4 weeks PTO
    - Great Work/Life Balance

Cons

Depending on your situation, you can either have all the guidance in the world, or you can be an afterthought to your manager.

"Excellent firm with very professional and talented staff and leadership"

Current Employee - Manager in Naperville, IL
    Current Employee - Manager in Naperville, IL

I have been working at Sikich full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Cons

The 401k match is lower than average

"Sikich"

I worked at Sikich full-time

Pros

They hired me right before I was starting my senior year in college. That was super convenient and not very stressful. I worked with a great team of very passionate people who always were looking to help me succeed and always be around to answer my questions.

Cons

As a newcomer to the workforce I expected a certain level of understanding that I was gaining experience. But when I was discharged it was clear that they needed someone with more experience than I could offer at the time, and I just wasn't a right fit for the company or they just weren't a right fit for me.

"Heading Good Places"

I have been working at Sikich full-time

Pros

The personnel employed at Sikich are a supportive and a lot of fun to work with. This is a growing company that demonstrates the value of employees through training, certifications, and new ventures

Cons

Lower insurance premiums would be very helpful
    Requires some salaried staff to work more than 40 hours

"A good place to learn"

I worked at Sikich full-time

Pros

Lots of opportunity and flexibility to learn. Some recognition of outstanding work outside of the prescribed mechanisms.

Cons

Minimal career progression, easy to get burned out on projects.

Advice to Management

Make it an active goal to promote and preserve a healthy corporate culture (vs. focusing relentlessly on growth and the bottom line). Rework the bonus system to actually work for the employees instead of management; it's demoralizing in its current iteration.