Silicon Valley Bank Reviews | Glassdoor

Silicon Valley Bank President & CEO Greg Becker
Greg Becker

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "finding a good work life balance" (in 18 reviews)

• "middle management gets more people" (in 13 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Industry Best and Employee Focused"

Current Employee - Deposit Operations in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Deposit Operations in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Silicon Valley Bank full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Great benefits
    - Working with some of the coolest and most innovative clients in the industry
    - Excellent employee values and work/life balance
    - Plenty of open opportunities to move within the company, both vertically and laterally
    - Employee focused
    - Plenty of social opportunities outside of the office
    - Understanding and encouraging management

Cons

Some internal systems are outdated and clunky, and that can be seen as a hindrance when your primary client base are the leading and cutting edge companies in the tech and startup industry.

Advice to Management

Keep focusing on updating systems and putting the employees first and the sky is the limit!

2. "Intern Review"

Pros

SVB has an excellent culture and employs talented, intelligent people.

Cons

I do not think there are any downsides to working at SVB.

Advice to Management

None.

3. "Great experience, learnt a lot."

Current Employee - Enterprise Architect in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Enterprise Architect in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Silicon Valley Bank full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good salary, good colleagues, great CEO

Cons

Complex systems, legacy systems, less automation

"What is happening to our company culture?"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Silicon Valley Bank full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company itself has so much untapped potential. Yes - it has its challenges, but the people are great and there is a lot of opportunity. People are willing to go the extra mile to make things happen.

Cons

Overburden with processes with minimal to show for it. People are placed in Sr. Roles without merit or experience, then micromanage the individuals who have the expertise in order to make a name for themselves. People offer up suggestions, trying to raise the game, only to be put aside because of favoritism and political agenda. There are organizations within SVB that operate by a “fear based” model. There is a huge need for innovative technology and change - but we can’t seem to execute projects effectively. The ePMO itself is a bloated organization. PMs are being hired at an alarming rate, but projects are still not being executed efficiently due to unnecessary processes and paperwork. Too many good people want to leave - which is a sign of low morale and a toxic environment.

Advice to Management

People want to stay at SVB, work hard, and watch it succeed. There is a lot of untapped potential hidden under Sr. Management fluff. Do your due diligence to understand the layers and the people TRULY doing the work, not just reporting on it. Those people will help drive this bank forward. They are willing to work hard to make that happen - do your part to identify and value them. We need to get rid of fear based organizations and focus on the people with the true expertise. We need our SVB culture back!

"Still a good company but experiencing growing pains"

Current Employee - Operations Officer in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Operations Officer in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Silicon Valley Bank full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Plenty of time off (~32 plus bank holidays). Decent pay and bonus. Stock is high. Depending on your manager/department you have some ability to work remotely.

Cons

Good people are starting to leave. Too many managers/directors. Bad people get promoted. The bank is growing but still uses antiquated tools and systems and everything is so slow and manual and training is not good. Starting to feel like a big company that is getting "cheap" regarding training, certifications, employee events/appreciation. Raises are tiny.

Advice to Management

There are too many managers. Focus on process improvements and new tools or training and retaining good people instead of more and more managers and directors. Stop promoting bad people just because you can't fire them. Keep the SVB culture and don't turn into just another big bank.

"SVB is losing good people everywhere"

Current Employee - IT Director in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - IT Director in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Silicon Valley Bank full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Some of the greatest people to work with. Culture is changing within SVB as we morph into a larger organization but overall the people are great to work with.

Cons

Management is failing the individual contributors. We have had two organized walk outs/teams quiting within the organization. In IT we had almost the entire network team quite all within 1 week and on the business side we had an entire PES team walk out on the same day across two offices. If this isn't a heads up to management then I don't know what else will.

In IT all we see is micro management, a senior leadership of yes men and a culture of fear and retribution. Management says one things but does something completely different.

Example, SVB' has a documented work from home policy and a process to implement a work from home schedule but the leadership team questions anyone that has followed this process and has a work from home schedule on place.

Currently our longtime CSO has been promoted to CIO and hoping that he will see the dysfunction within the IT org, specifically Engineering and Operations and work to fix it as soon as possible before we lose many more talented people.

Advice to Management

Listen to your IC's. Stop micromanaging. Trust your teams to do the right thing. Don't contradict yourselves, do what you say!

7. "Programmer"

I have been working at Silicon Valley Bank full-time

Pros

Good organization with culture and values

Cons

A small organization and a lot to grow to become bigger

Advice to Management

Please continue hiring the good talent

"Director"

I worked at Silicon Valley Bank full-time

Pros

Salary's are good, benefits are amazing

Cons

Very short sited Senior folks at the top levels coming in and getting rid of many very dedicated people.

Advice to Management

For the CEO understand that your once stellar reputation is now in jeopardy. How can you not see that your COO and his underling are doing damage to your product.

9. "SW Engineer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Silicon Valley Bank full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Change is happening in IT and I finally feel that I am getting support. Our new CTO is putting IT first and helping us manage all of the change requests that we used to take on but were hard to complete. We are also hiring some really talented people which is helping with the workload. All in all I’m feeling really good about where we are headed.

Cons

Still processes that need to be sunset. Glad someone is listening. Hope bank bureaucracy doesn’t squash those changes.

Advice to Management

Would be nice to have a summer event at each location like we do at year end. Maybe picnic or something similar.

"Relationship advisor II"

Pros

Time off is very generous. Maternity and health care is amazing.

Cons

There is little room for growth and internal promotions are almost always lateral. Pay is lower than market average.

Advice to Management

Reward loyal employees with higher wages. Organizational changes with in the company should not put a freeze on promotions.