Silicon Valley Bank Reviews | Glassdoor

Silicon Valley Bank President & CEO Greg Becker
Greg Becker

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "finding a good work life balance" (in 18 reviews)

• "middle management gets more people" (in 13 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Industry Best and Employee Focused"

Current Employee - Deposit Operations in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Deposit Operations in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Silicon Valley Bank full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Great benefits
    - Working with some of the coolest and most innovative clients in the industry
    - Excellent employee values and work/life balance
    - Plenty of open opportunities to move within the company, both vertically and laterally
    - Employee focused
    - Plenty of social opportunities outside of the office
    - Understanding and encouraging management

Cons

Some internal systems are outdated and clunky, and that can be seen as a hindrance when your primary client base are the leading and cutting edge companies in the tech and startup industry.

Advice to Management

Keep focusing on updating systems and putting the employees first and the sky is the limit!

"Excellent"

I have been working at Silicon Valley Bank full-time

Pros

Culture, home verses work life balance

Cons

The Pay for Operations positions

Advice to Management

Pay operations more. Operations people are what make any business work, without Ops, the business would not thrive or survive. Prove that you appreciate their hard work and dedication by paying them what they deserve.

3. "Great place"

I have been working at Silicon Valley Bank full-time

Pros

Compensation for your hard work

Cons

Hours can be inconsistent

"New IT leadership are just the same bad decisions repeating"

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Silicon Valley Bank full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great benefits
    Excellent position in the market
    Very high standards for peers in IT delivery

Cons

High stress, constant crunch time
    Bogged down with inefficient processes
    Lack of vision and strategy
    Poor communication
    Bad leadership, bullying culture
    No opportunity for advancement
    Pay is stagnant

Advice to Management

At SVB, you will work with some of the best folks in the field. The people that do the work, the deliverers, hold themselves to high standards and bring in the best people if they have a say in it. You will work a lot, you will learn a lot and you will make some longtime friends. SVB comradery is what you make it. Make no mistake, contrary to previous reviews, the deliverers were always there, working behind the scenes to make sure that despite all the flaws and fumbles in leadership the company can still do business.

I left SVB at a time when IT effectiveness and morale was at an all-time low. Fantastic leadership and delivery resources were leaving in waves, sometimes in the double digits a week. Since then, SVB executive leadership saw the problem in management and removed it, only to replace them with the easy options.

The C level in IT is lead by people brought in to do tasks and projects that failed, full stop. Nepotism is still rampant, as the senior and mid-level management was filled with their favorites, people who are not right for the job, have no success in actual delivery, are bad leaders and foster no good will with their departments. It is still a culture of fear, but with the only silver lining that those bullies are not in Tempe, where the majority of IT now resides.

Until the right leaders are chosen for these key roles I fear things will not change. SVB executives have started an initiative to listen to their employees again, build the culture back up and improve satisfaction. I beg them to follow through, take a hard look at the IT organization and make some tough choices, for the sake of the friends and family I made when I was there.

"What will it take to foster change?"

I have been working at Silicon Valley Bank full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people are willing to roll up their sleeves and do what it takes to get the job done.

The company is a good company - and potential for company growth is there.

Salary and benefits are good

Cons

Where do I start?

I have been here a few years and normally a company gets better - sadly - it’s the opposite.

Nepotism has taken a forefront and because of this unskilled people are put into very high roles. These are the people running projects and making decisions - which is very unfortunate since we don’t get paid to churn. The drop in price stock is a painful indicator of how poorly we execute. The only way to move forward is to organize the work, value to talent, and have a solid plan for execution. If things stay the way they are that will never happen. We will continue to run on a few cylinders instead of all of them.

Advice to Management

What will it take for you to listen? You have mass groups of employees who are unhappy - yet you are not fostering change. People are jumping ship and more will do so in Q1. If you want to save the company the headache of taking 3 steps back I highly suggest you start paying attention immediately. Stop with the nepotism and start really looking at skill set and who is really DOING the work. Having a bunch of people who are good at hiding the truth and managing up will not help you succeed!

6. "Good culture"

I have been working at Silicon Valley Bank full-time

Pros

Genuinely positive work culture with lots of interesting people. Good work/life balance.

Cons

They take new hires from disparate academic backgrounds, and as a result the first several months on the job are essentially training.

7. "CEO & Founder"

I have been working at Silicon Valley Bank full-time

Pros

Provides personal input and boosts personal creativity

Cons

Very high levels of risk in a daily basis

"Where Tech Careers go to Die"

Former Employee - Full Time
    Former Employee - Full Time

I worked at Silicon Valley Bank full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I am no longer there and don't have to endure the abhorrent culture/lack of culture in the technology organization.

Cons

Too many to mention.

If you are a career technologists and think the slightly higher salary and bonus structure are a price worth paying for your once promising career, then sign up now and kiss it all good bye. You will no longer get to have an original thought or a technical opinion in your new role. Enjoy!

Advice to Management

Wake up and understand how running an organization with a total lack of internal focus on modern technology & engineering will impact your position in the market dealing with cutting edge technology clients.

"Used to be a good place to work"

Current Employee - Manager in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Silicon Valley Bank full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Some of the old supportive culture survives in pockets

Cons

The tech teams are set up for failure. There are two organizations - under a CIO and a CTO. And roles and responsibilities are not clear.

It doesn’t help that these two individuals have very typical personalities and experience.
    As someone pointed out earlier, the CTO doesn’t fully understand technology. That is a recipe for disaster right there. But there is more. She wants to control everything. Almost like a megalomaniac. She is extremely aggressive and shouts at her directs as a matter of course. I don’t mean that in a metaphorical sense. When I say ‘shouts’, I mean people can hear her shouting through a closed door. She has come in and fired a bunch of people because they were not ‘her people’. I mean she fired Directors without once having met them. Surely that isn’t a decision made on merit.

Now let’s talk about the CIO. He looks and acts very laid back and unconcerned. He is shooting from the hip with no in depth knowledge. I have talked to him in some capacity and I have talked to people who work with him, and he has no clue what’s going on.

Now, let’s talk about the COO, the guy leading this circus. He is responsible for choosing these people. He is responsible for blessing their decisions. You know how he rated his own performance in the last 3 years? A ‘C’. I agree but it begs the question: why is he still here?

That brings us to the CEO. The organization is not running smoothly and he cannot be absolved of guilt. Ultimately, he chooses his people and they have been poor choices.

Nepotism: there is a clear, blatant trend of hiring and keeping people from Visa. And Visa people then randomly fire people who are not from Visa or simply people they don’t like. On any flimsy grounds or no grounds at all. I’ve never worked at Visa, but seeing the quality of their hand-me-down leaders, I never will.

I’m looking to leave as soon as I can.

Advice to Management

Wake up. The organization will fall apart and IT WILL BE YOUR FAULT

10. "director"

I have been working at Silicon Valley Bank full-time

Pros

very interesting business model and learn a lot of new stuff.

Cons

technology is old across the whole company