Silicon Valley Bank Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Silicon Valley Bank President & CEO Greg Becker
Greg Becker

Pros
Cons
  • the work-life balance has been challenging (in 9 reviews)

• middle management gets more people (in 10 reviews)

"Not for the faint-hearted"

Current Employee - IT Team Lead in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - IT Team Lead in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Silicon Valley Bank full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you're looking for a work place where you just show up 9-5 for the sake of showing up, expecting to cruise through life, then Silicon Valley Bank is not for you. Quite the contrary, if challenge is what you crave for, then SVB is perfect for you.

I love how my job keeps me on my toes, bringing out the best in me. I'm part of the CCAR team, where turnaround time, accuracy and efficiency are crucial. The good part is that I'm working with the best of the best. As stressful and challenging as it could be, I feel tremendous support from not only the project team but most importantly management.

SVB is great about recognizing and rewarding hard work and good performance. They give out awards, recognition and on-the-spot bonuses throughout the year. Even better, you don't need to wait for mid-year or year-end performance reviews but Management actually takes time to schedule 1:1 meetings with the employees to provide feedback and encourage open communication. Management, in general, has an open-door policy and are very approachable.

On top of all these, camaraderie between employees is the best I've seen. There's constantly something going on - offsite events, picnics, community service, happy hour events. We had our Christmas party at a Casino last year where they set up tables/games for us, so fun!

I never post reviews for anything but I feel strongly about SVB that I just had to write this review! I can honestly say this is the best company I've ever worked for!!

Cons

For me personally, the only negative is the location. It takes me about an hour to get to work due to Phoenix traffic. But this obviously is not the company's fault!! I get to work remotely from time to time so this definitely helps!

Advice to Management

Continue the open door policy!

2. "Great Colleagues and Growth"

I have been working at Silicon Valley Bank full-time

Pros

Great colleagues to work with, positive environment. Growing business. Good leadership.

Cons

Lowish salary, not much chance of promotion/ development.

3. "Associate"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Silicon Valley Bank full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working environment was good.

Cons

the package that was provided was not competitive.

5. "Credit Card Client Advisor III"

Current Employee - Credit Card Client Advisor III in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Credit Card Client Advisor III in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Silicon Valley Bank full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great pay, good culture and innovative company.

Cons

There are very few advancement opportunities.

6. "Systems Analyst"

Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Silicon Valley Bank full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

SVB is a great company to work for. Hardwork pays at this company. The people are very firiendly and tireless performance and quality of work are highly regarded. Employees move from one org to another within the bank and that is welcome, which shows the dedication and maturity management has in retaining good employees and making sure they are well rewarded

Cons

The HR could strengthen policies around promotions and bands and make it more transparent

7. "Great place to work. Big changes coming."

Pros

Great people to work with.

Cons

SVB is slowly becoming just another big bank.

8. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Associate in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Associate in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Silicon Valley Bank full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent market penetration. Serves interesting market and ecosystem.

Cons

Management can relay information a bit better.

Advice to Management

Be more transparent.

9. "IT Manager"

Current Employee - Manager In IT in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Manager In IT in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Silicon Valley Bank full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Lot of learning if you are in right team. Some teams are super busy, new concepts are being adopted. Getting to good mix of new comers, creating wave of new changes

Cons

Lot of replanning in recent tomes. middle management gets more people. Some areas work in silo. Initiatives are confusing at times, not clear on delivery and ROI

"Absolute lack of good leaders and toxic work environment in few teams."

I worked at Silicon Valley Bank full-time

Pros

Good compensations and flexibility in work schedules. Senior C-level leadership is very good. People are very friendly and nice especially on the Business side. They smile at you even if they do not know you and make you feel welcomed.

Cons

There is an absolute lack of good leadership and management across the company. Fearful managers and leaders do not care for employee development and growth. Only the tenure in company and the relationships count for promotion and appreciation of good work. Few teams like CCAR Stress Testing and IT Client Services / Information Management / CCAR Data Governance teams are dreadful teams to work for. There are incompetent people who are not fit for management role but still promoted to Director and Head of the department roles. Employees are treated like a piece of garbage and slaves. In CCAR Stress Testing business team, highly qualified and experienced people are hired and told to work for IT. There is no basic management provided. For eg, no 1:1 meetings, lack of clarity on roles and responsibilities and expectations are common in CCAR team. There is no freedom for doing things differently and no place for people with creative and out of the box thinking. One person is loaded with responsibilities of 3-4 persons and no help and resources provided to do your job effectively. IT CCAR Data Governance team has a toxic work culture. This team has nobody with Data Governance experience. Managers hire highly qualified people and make them work on their own terms which becomes frustrating. It is the most bureaucratic team exercising old management style (“Yes Sir” mentality). When you question anything, you are alienated and pushed out of the team and the company. Only people in the inner circle are promoted based on relationship with manager and not based on performance. All the work is done by outsourcing consultants and employees are just acting as middle man between consultants and Business. Consultants have all the critical knowledge and they do not share knowledge for job security. Eventually they are hired as full time employees in this team. Business is very much dependent on Data Warehouse for any data related stuff as there is no sharing or documentation available for Business to understand and use data effectively. Technology project and program managers are treated by this team as puppets and PMs do what functional managers tell them to do.

Advice to Management

Senior leadership is very good but they need to know how bad their direct reports treat their employees. HR needs to question the managers with heavy turnover rate. Managers need to be made accountable to live company values and respecting employees.

"SVB Financial Group Review"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant III in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant III in San Jose, CA

I worked at Silicon Valley Bank (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you work for their corporate office they have great perks like an onsite cafe, full gym and a message therapist that comes once a week.

Cons

Middle management could use a major overhaul. The company goes through reorgs way too often which creates a lot of uneasiness within the organization.

Advice to Management

As an former employee of almost 20 years my advice to management would be to bring the culture back to what it used to be 10-15 years ago. Make SVB a place you call family not just an office job you go to every day. Bring back work-life balance to the organization.