Silicon Valley Bank Reviews | Glassdoor

Silicon Valley Bank President & CEO Greg Becker
Greg Becker

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • There is a trade off to work life balance and we have been promised clearer guidance on this point so we await with interest (in 14 reviews)

• middle management gets more people (in 14 reviews)

"Emperor has no cloth!"

I have been working at Silicon Valley Bank full-time

Pros

continued growth, great products, competent sales team, and always have opportunity to work on new things and solve challenges.

Cons

The compliance department is a joke, keeping hiring incompetent Chief Compliance Officers and all they do is to talking about change, buying time until themselves got fired. The newly appointment Chief Compliance Officer is the worst, if you ever wonder how Wells Fargo got into phony account opening scandal last year and shed management responsibility by firing floor level employees when things got exploded, well, he is the walking post of that rotten culture. it is well known by everyone at the Bank how he screwed up the BSA/AML division and openly talked about his ability of putting out "smoking mirrors" to upper management and examiners, now he is promoted to even run the compliance department. SVB is running a huge risk to become the 2016 Wells Fargo. It is about time to say emperor have no cloth and we can expect our compliance department will be populated from drones from Wells Fargo soon.

Advice to Management

Face the truth and hold management accountable by results, not sweet talks, and listen to what employee survey have to say.

"The good, the bad and the ugly"

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Silicon Valley Bank full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Amazing and hard working people.
    Bank that does not mind to change for better, but not every change is good.
    Bonuses
    Opportunities

Cons

It depends on how you see it, so let’s take some time to understand it.

First let’s respond to those who have left 5 star reviews -
    Guys you seem to be living in some virtual world and are definitely far too disconnected from the ground reality. Some of you, who have said that change is good, let me tell you that Change is the only thing which is Constant at SVB. So if you think that you have come here to bring a change to SVB, you are unfortunately wrong because SVB would change, evolve and revolutionize itself no matter what. But the changes that bank has experienced in last 1.5 years is far more negatively impactful than positive. The new VISA regime is all about managing up, crushing down, is disrespectful and completely opposite of SVB’s values. I suspect that you see it as a positive change, because you seem to be hired by these new leaders who are establishing their people, and you seem to be enjoying their support but you don’t realize that most of these people coming from a severely failed organization Monetize but are all hiding behind the VISA. So please shut yourself up! Oh and one more thing, the bank is not successful because you guys just joined it, but because the hard working people have made it to be. The new regime has delivered nothing but talked trash about the bank, but folks who have been here and have gone through multiple change cycles have delivered likes of UK branch and China JV in record times. So let the record speak for itself. Phew!

Ok, now let’s talk about the changes, which is causing many to be so uncortable that people are sharing their negative views on Glassdoor.
    We all recognize that the change is important for any organization to be successful, we all also understand that change is generally painful because it challenges the convention and our comfortable zone, so if some of us are uncomfortable it’s because of the nature of the change. That said, the change we are going through is extremely toxic, eating up SVB’s roots and it’s not just about being uncomfortable but it is one of those changes which is executed very poorly and is ineffective. If not addressed it will fail SVB because the change is not just is spreading at roots. What I mean is that our COO may leave the company in a year or two, but he will leave behind all these toxic people, who will continue on, and knowing SVB they won’t be fired. As some one said, going to HR these days is like going to your deathbed which is very true. There have been instances recently where group of people have been insulted on floor, people crying in staff meetings, people asked to leave like “hey, you, you and you... you no longer work here”... no HR, nothing just fired. So decide for yourself. So in my view there is more truth in negative reviews than positives.

Now to someone who warned women. I don’t agree because SVB isn’t a place where women are not respected and not given opportunities. May be someone had bad experience but I feel SVB is almost 50/50 in their gender diversity, and women sometimes tend to get more opportunities than their male counterparts. It’s like unconscious reverse gender descmination because there is so much talk about women equality. So at SVB women are well protected and supported. If SVB was not serious about it the Head of the HR would not have taken time to respond to that specific review, but he did. And kudos to him for doing that

Advice to Management

Look guys, you are enjoying the position, SVB benefits, and you are protected because you are at the top, but don’t lose sight from your soldiers. If they die, you die. If you let your loyal army be sacrificed by new generals, then generals will either eat you up or leave you in position of weakness. So decide for yourself. People will find jobs elsewhere whether you want it or not, but failure of SVB and its culture would be on you. People care that’s why they come here and write these reviews so you notice and not the world. No one cares to warn people who are looking to join SVB, but employees are trying to seek your attention so please open your eyes and don’t hide behind close doors. Rest is up to you.

"Do not work in IT"

I worked at Silicon Valley Bank full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Bonuses are great, if you are in the niche crowd.

Cons

I was putting in 60-80 hr weeks. The stress was literally taking a toll on my health. IT management is not your friend and will literally make stuff up to get rid of you if they don't like you nor will they get another side of the story as proper management should. They just have their favorites and kick out the door who they don't like, no matter how hard they work. Going to HR only exacerbates this situation. I warn you, do not work in IT or you will regret it. I have multiple friends looking to leave or have already left.

Advice to Management

Upper management needs to clear IT from the top; CIO down to make a cultural change at SVB in IT for the best before they have an Equifax event that they can't recover from. When the good people get driven out, the inexperienced come in and cause more mistakes to happen.

"Downgrading Culture and Low Pay"

Current Employee - Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Associate in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Silicon Valley Bank full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people to work with!

Cons

Low pay for market, expected to put in longer hours, culture is morphing into a bigger bank, lots of gossip among senior employees, stressed Associates, old-fashioned exec, cheap about EVERYTHING.

Advice to Management

Reward people for how much work they accomplish and time they put in. Most Associates are better off going to an investment bank to double (or more) their income for an extra few hours a day.

5. "Change is happening for good at SVB"

Current Employee - Individual Contributor
    Current Employee - Individual Contributor

I have been working at Silicon Valley Bank full-time (More than a year)

Pros

SVB is going through a transformation which I feel is strongly needed to adapt to the changing landscape in this niche space.
    Lot of changes across IT organization that could uplift the image of this group who were branded non performers by many business groups. IT usually take a lot of time to make any changes and the group was managed very inefficiently by various middle managers. The recent changes in the IT organization is bringing the rigor and discipline that is needed to run this organization.
    I see lot of good things happening for the future of the company

Cons

Employee to contractor ratio is very low. More SME and Engineering knowledge should be with the employees and not with the contractors. Too many vendor products and vendor resources makes software engineering not so attarctive for future hires

Advice to Management

Change is constant. Adapt to the changing market conditions by doing the necessary tweaks to the organization. Do not fear for change!

"Much needed changes happening in Information Technology"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Silicon Valley Bank full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are a lot of changes happening within IT and some people are having a difficult time embracing which is why there are negative reviews here. The changes are much needed and are turning SVB into a digital and technology banking leader. For some people, managing expenses and prioritizing work so that key initiatives are the focus, is difficult and they will not thrive. For others, this new environment operates like every large technology organization and with the new capabilities being built for SVB clients, environment is awesome!!!!

Cons

Change is not happening fast enough in some areas and as a result, is hindering growth.

Advice to Management

Stay the course. Reward people that can see the vision and help others see it too. Think outside the box and continue to provide employees with opportunities to make a difference.

7. "Interesting Company"

I have been working at Silicon Valley Bank full-time

Pros

Good benefits. Work with interesting, new companies.

Cons

Can be very political at times.

"RA"

Current Employee - Relationship Advisor in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Relationship Advisor in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Silicon Valley Bank full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

There used to be quite a few, not so much anymore .

Cons

Management is aware that RA’s are overworked and stressed to the point of illness. Many people in this position have been or are currently on stress related leave . This is incredibly hard to deal with, the disability insurance company that we pay for is heartless and almost impossible to collect from even in the worst circumstances. This puts employees in a very tough position and HR is not our friend, they work on behalf of SVB. Having been through this, I warn anyone before excepting this position ... you will be worked relentlessly!

Advice to Management

Take a good look at exit reviews and the reasons people are leaving. You have knowledge of what has taken place. Continuing to ignore the fact that you are stressing people to the point of illness makes you guilty of negligence .

"Manager"

Current Employee - Manager in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Silicon Valley Bank full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

company growing.
    Culture was way better few years ago.

Cons

1. employees benefit are not the priority
    2. resources overstretched for too long
    3. do not put in right budget to hire right people
    4. no privacy in work place

"Cultural Toxicity is Increasing Fast"

Former Employee - Associate in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Associate in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Silicon Valley Bank full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Its a small bank and has cash to lend. Paychecks show up on time.

Cons

Misconduct and discrimination are rampant. Culture is toxic. Middle management is dishonest and unable to determine that it even has a problem. Would strongly recommend that females avoid this place at all costs.

Advice to Management

Try not to run the bank like an drunken college frat party. Women are not objects, they are human beings with civil rights. High quality professionals do not enjoy spending time with out-of-control, intoxicated bankers.

Silicon Valley Bank Response

Nov 21, 2017 – CHRO

The experience at SVB that you describe in your post certainly does not reflect the culture we aspire to, and it concerns us deeply. Maintaining a culture of trust and respect is a priority at SVB... More