Silicon Valley Bank Reviews | Glassdoor

Silicon Valley Bank President & CEO Greg Becker
Greg Becker

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • There is a trade off to work life balance and we have been promised clearer guidance on this point so we await with interest (in 15 reviews)

• middle management gets more people (in 13 reviews)

1. "Market leader in tech banking"

I worked at Silicon Valley Bank full-time

Pros

Great working environment with smart people.

Cons

Growing very fast with challenges in scaling the organization.

"Just don't"

Former Employee - Analyst
    Former Employee - Analyst

I worked at Silicon Valley Bank full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-Stepping stone to a better career.

Cons

-Lack of advancement
    -Hectic aka meaning do all the work with no recognition or advancement
    -Low morale across all teams
    -Management lies such as you will be promoted yet when the time comes, a lackluster excuse is made
    -Becoming a "big bank" mentality
    -New hires come in at a higher position then you, some are warranted, many are not
    -Extreme lack of diversity, female leadership, and minority female leadership is few and far between
    -Management to "busy" to mentor, share knowledge, or even help with issues
    -Spoiled workers who expect everything. ex: "no milk for my free cereal!" "we only get lower level tickets not in the dugout!"
    -Tenured workers are leaving in droves and taking that knowledge with them leaving departments disabled
    -Temp/contractor workers for 1-4 years? don't consider that temporary

Advice to Management

Nothing.

"IT is a sinking ship"

I worked at Silicon Valley Bank full-time

Pros

Great benefits and people that actually makes things happen versus those that preach and do nothing about it.

Cons

Get rid of all IT management from CIO down. They preach about values and live up to none of them. New operations management has ZERO integrity. They lie and cheat about whatever it takes to save their own skin. Management silencing HR from the complaints and disclosing HR issues has got to be some sort of privacy and ethics violation. We all know who "management" is. Now it just grew to more puppets.

The entire department is extremely unhappy which is no surprise. Management is not loyal, sympathetic and blind and only care about their own benefit.

With so much turnover, there is consistency.

Advice to Management

Resign carte blanche. There is no option. So many people have left this department. Over 2 dozen in 1.5 years. All management that were worth has also left on their own.

"A very good working environment being turned into a Visa/big bank environment."

Pros

Good benefits
    Decent work life balance
    Decent pay
    Decent time off with unlimited PTO but actually limited by manager.
    Good company socials.

Cons

So many recently. The QA organization has become so top heavy and people being hired due to favoritism and nepotism. All Visa people bringing their terrible work culture and ethics. Trying to get rid of all people who are not part of the old boys club. So much mid management hired when there was no need. All work is done offshore !! Reorgs for no reason except so the COO can massage his ego. His mission is to turn SVB into Visa.

Advice to Management

Forget about Visa not a very good example to follow work culture wise or as a company. Focus on what made SVB unique and successful company by focusing on its niche. SVB is not a major consumer bank and not a major credit card company. It’s a bank focused on starts-ups and niches like Wineries. Get rid of the COO and his vision. Bring someone from the tech startup world so that the bank is aligned with its clients. Get rid of all QA management they have no idea what they are doing and bring nothing to the table as all the real work is done offside by the vendor.

5. "Hyper and I love it"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Silicon Valley Bank full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Been here for a few years and I love it. Its hectic but we have wonderful clients and to be honest many of my colleagues are great personal friends. Fast growth does of course stretch us and our systems and processes but these are all understood by those that are here for the long term. I know some of the people who left and basically they couldn't hack it. We try to hire the best and need to keep doing that.

Cons

You are expected to work hard and be focussed. There is a trade off to work life balance and we have been promised clearer guidance on this point so we await with interest.

Advice to Management

Keep doing all you can to keep the quality of the team as high as possible and make sure the investments in the tools to help us are delivered.

6. "Great company, fast changing with lots of opportunity"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Silicon Valley Bank full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Fast pace, high growth, successful company
    Ethical, engaged management
    Great people
    Inclusive

Cons

Can be challenging to balance work/life
    Despite an outstanding executive team and many great managers, there are groups that appear to be more political and dysfunctional.

Advice to Management

Keep working hard to weed out poor managers and groups that reward the wrong behaviors. The company is doing so many things right but there is still a lot of political posturing on the part of mid-level managers.

7. "Relationship Advisor"

I have been working at Silicon Valley Bank full-time

Pros

great people, great benefits , fun events

Cons

too many systems, training of new employees

Advice to Management

continue to work on infrastructure

"Don't be upset if you don't get hired"

Current Employee - Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Associate in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Silicon Valley Bank full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Snacks, office, catered breakfast/lunch sometimes, friendly employees

Cons

- Not a competitive salary so employee loss and under-engagement don't surprise me
    - There seems to be intentional understaffing as if company is preparing for a sale.
    - Lots of propaganda and koolaid being served.
    - The executive/upper management teams try to make employees feel responsible for making up for their lack of planning through the "going pro" initiative. Things (procedures, systems, team coordination) don't work well and it makes it very hard to do my job.

Advice to Management

Putting pressure on the revenue generating teams in the bank through under-staffing, budget control, and under paying does not seem like the best way to reduce expenses and scale effectively. That's just a cover up that annoys employees.

"Great Culture and Responsible Company, But Needs Better Communication"

Current Employee - Director in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Director in Boston, MA

I have been working at Silicon Valley Bank full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

1. Competitive Salary
    2. Culture is positive
    3. They invest in human capital
    4. Good upward movement

Cons

1. Communication
    2. Corporate strategy is in flux. Need to clearly define what SVB's vision for servicing the innovation economy ecosystem. Once defined, need to give the vision time to work.

"Huge plans as a bank but wrong exec management in some parts"

Former Employee - Global Services/IT
    Former Employee - Global Services/IT

I worked at Silicon Valley Bank full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great client base and aspirations to grow as a bank.
    Mostly talented staff particularly in IT
    Reward is in most cases aligned to market in valley but needs looking at in general to retain top talent

Cons

Global Services is a complete mess and in desperate need of fresh exec leadership.
    Too many staff brought in with visa background which sucks and has had a negative impact to date.
    Aggressive culture in GS which is very Unproductive with say 75% of entire GS workforce extremely unhappy as a result but scared to voice opinion ..... nothing done to stop (HR turn a blind eye).
    All internal awards / recognition simply go to SVB senior management which totally devalues them in general. Forget it unless you are at a certain level and worked 5 years plus in organisation
    Listen to staff and address the bully culture that exists or all talented IT staff will leave for the valley.

Advice to Management

Heads up and take action irrespective of level. Negative feedback is more powerful than positive but useless unless action is considered or taken.