Silicon Valley Community Foundation Reviews

Updated Apr 27, 2021

2.2
Silicon Valley Community Foundation President & CEO  Emmett D. Carson (no image)
Emmett D. Carson
Pros
  • "The SVCF board and senior leadership made some important decisions during a very public organizational crisis that surfaced in 2018(in 6 reviews)

• "Good brand name; Great people with diverse experiences(in 4 reviews)

• Cons
  • "I have been at SVCF for a number of years(in 8 reviews)

• "The whole nonprofit is a big scam that just wants more, more, and more donors(in 6 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0

Wonderful CEO with Motivated Employees

Jan 16, 2021 - Officer in Mountain View, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Since of Shared Mission, CEO's leadership: Nicole does an incredible job of leading the organization. She has a leadership style that motivates every department to see the bigger picture of what they do.

Cons

The pay is lower for entry positions, and to recruit top-talent the company might need to consider increasing the wages of new employees.

2. 4.0

Great exposure

Apr 27, 2021 - Donor Services Senior Associate - Grants in Mountain View, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Get to work with high-profile and really wide-ranging groups of people, organizations, and donors. Think the future is bright after strategic planning and restructuring, more stable group of staff, increased commitment to communication and culture, and incredible impact around the world.

Cons

Lots of turn over in the last few years and not the best culture but working on it! It's what you make of it!

3. 2.0

Horrible Place to Work

Apr 6, 2021 - Manager in Mountain View, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

some nice people outside of the leadership team

Cons

Awful leadership team and bad management

4. 3.0

Not Bad

Feb 24, 2021 - Grants Associate in San Jose, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

stable job, high impact on community

Cons

High turnover, lack of community feeling, overworked

5. 3.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Good non-profit to start your career

Jan 9, 2021 - Grants Associate in Mountain View, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

well-known company in the non-profit sector.

Cons

Not a lot of opportunities for career advancement.

6. 2.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Low Morale

Nov 8, 2020 - Administrative in Mountain View, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Looks good on a resume.

Cons

Leadership does not care about staff and lacks compassion and empathy. CEO has name called employees on email, in person, and in front of internal and external stakeholders. Everyone is sad working here, and turnover is the highest I have ever seen at any employer.

3 people found this review helpful
    7. 2.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Think twice

Dec 29, 2020 - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Work/life balance, good nonprofit resume material

Cons

Still toxic and dysfunctional; lip service to values and community work prevents or slows straightforward improvements

1 person found this review helpful
    8. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Worst workplace environment of my life

Oct 16, 2020 - Manager in Mountain View, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

A few nice hardworking people work here.

Cons

The management is incompetent, arrogant, disorganized, shows favoritism, and micro manages. The culture is hierarchical, toxic, and sucks the life out of you. This org does not invest in its people and your career will stall out here. The work is not challenging and the systems/tools are incredibly outdated which means you don’t gain new skills. The pay and benefits are terrible.

5 people found this review helpful
    9. 2.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Not recommended for someone who wants to grow in their career

Nov 6, 2020 - Associate
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good brand name; Great people with diverse experiences

Cons

Poor leadership; Bureaucratic and biased; No professional growth

2 people found this review helpful
    10. 4.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

A new direction with a new CEO and ten months of reflection, examination, learning and growing

Feb 21, 2019 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

-Excellent benefits (generous PTO and VTO, health, dental, vision, retirement, paid family leave, telecommute one day a week) -Committed and talented staff - Social committee to plan fun events (summer picnic, end of year holiday party, halloween party, ice cream social, thanksgiving potluck, and more!) - Employee volunteer council to plan group volunteer opportunities - Opportunities to truly make an impact in the community The SVCF board and senior leadership made some important decisions during a very public organizational crisis that surfaced in 2018. I am confident that these decisions have steered SVCF in a new direction. Some of these decisions include: - Bringing in a previous board member as interim CEO to right the ship and truly focus on examining and rebuilding our culture, starting with the creation of a Culture Task Force, which consists of staff of all levels. This task force is charged with a review of our values and how to live them authentically and taking a look at our cultural norms and behaviors. While sometimes it feels like it's one step forward, two steps back, there has been definite progress. - In her short tenure, our new CEO has been explicit in her commitment to ensuring that SVCF focuses on our impact in our local community and beyond. She has said both internally and externally that she is committed to working with the board and our teams to ensure that our community impact work is married with our donor engagement work. - They have instituted a new series of Town Hall meetings with board members so all levels of staff have an opportunity to build relationships directly with board members - There is a new art committee to add local art to our walls which has improved the vibrancy of the working environment - Regular email communication from the board on the steps they are taking as we rebuild after this time of crisis And to end with, I think one of the biggest pros of working here is the relationships with our local partners who have stood by us throughout this difficult time. To me, this shows that our community impact has been there all along and with this new direction, we have so much more opportunity with our local partners to truly improve the lives of folks here in Silicon Valley.

Cons

I have been at SVCF for a number of years. As you can probably gather from the other reviews on here, the last few years were tumultuous. I am fortunate enough to be in a division where the intense toxicity was not rampant; but I will be honest there were serious issues. That said, once everything blew up during a very public organizational crisis, while it took awhile, in the end, the board and senior leadership made some very important decisions that have truly changed the direction of SVCF. I'm seasoned enough to know it is still a long road and that not all senior management may like the new direction, but I think we have the staff and leadership from our CEO and other key leaders to get us through.

4 people found this review helpful