Silicon Valley Community Foundation Reviews

Updated Jul 18, 2019

1.8
Silicon Valley Community Foundation President & CEO  Emmett D. Carson (no image)
Emmett D. Carson
Pros
  • "The SVCF board and senior leadership made some important decisions during a very public organizational crisis that surfaced in 2018(in 6 reviews)

• "Smart people, great mission, driven teams(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • "I have been at SVCF for a number of years(in 8 reviews)

• "The whole nonprofit is a big scam that just wants more, more, and more donors(in 6 reviews)

"Great place to start your Non Profit Career"

5.0
    Current Employee - Associate

I have been working at Silicon Valley Community Foundation full-time for more than a year

Pros

Passionate people, Awesome free lunch and breakfast once a month Unlimited snacks and beverages Fun work activities that makes the work day more enjoyable. The new CEO is a phenomenal leader.

Cons

The organization is in transition, hence if you are not comfortable with change, this might not be the right time to join the party.

Silicon Valley Community Foundation2019-02-26

"Still Not Worth Your Time"

Former Employee - Donor Team

I worked at Silicon Valley Community Foundation full-time for more than a year

Pros

Staff Care About Each Other And Create A Family Culture

Cons

Leadership And Board, Toxic Blame, Below Market Pay.

Silicon Valley Community Foundation2019-07-18

"Toxic"

I worked at Silicon Valley Community Foundation full-time

Pros

Some of the staff members are great and genuinely care

Cons

It’s as toxic as ever at SVCF. Senior leadership has perpetuated ongoing negativity.

Silicon Valley Community Foundation2019-07-03

"Depressing place to work"

Former Employee - Receptionist/Human Resources Assistant in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Silicon Valley Community Foundation full-time

Pros

Most employees were friendly that's about it

Cons

How the HR department runs is horrible everything is extremely unorganized

Silicon Valley Community Foundation2019-07-02

"A new direction with a new CEO and ten months of reflection, examination, learning and growing"

4.0

I have been working at Silicon Valley Community Foundation full-time

Pros

-Excellent benefits (generous PTO and VTO, health, dental, vision, retirement, paid family leave, telecommute one day a week) -Committed and talented staff - Social committee to plan fun events (summer picnic, end of year holiday party, halloween party, ice cream social, thanksgiving potluck, and more!) - Employee volunteer council to plan group volunteer opportunities - Opportunities to truly make an impact in the community The SVCF board and senior leadership made some important decisions during a very public organizational crisis that surfaced in 2018. I am confident that these decisions have steered SVCF in a new direction. Some of these decisions include: - Bringing in a previous board member as interim CEO to right the ship and truly focus on examining and rebuilding our culture, starting with the creation of a Culture Task Force, which consists of staff of all levels. This task force is charged with a review of our values and how to live them authentically and taking a look at our cultural norms and behaviors. While sometimes it feels like it's one step forward, two steps back, there has been definite progress. - In her short tenure, our new CEO has been explicit in her commitment to ensuring that SVCF focuses on our impact in our local community and beyond. She has said both internally and externally that she is committed to working with the board and our teams to ensure that our community impact work is married with our donor engagement work. - They have instituted a new series of Town Hall meetings with board members so all levels of staff have an opportunity to build relationships directly with board members - There is a new art committee to add local art to our walls which has improved the vibrancy of the working environment - Regular email communication from the board on the steps they are taking as we rebuild after this time of crisis And to end with, I think one of the biggest pros of working here is the relationships with our local partners who have stood by us throughout this difficult time. To me, this shows that our community impact has been there all along and with this new direction, we have so much more opportunity with our local partners to truly improve the lives of folks here in Silicon Valley.

Cons

I have been at SVCF for a number of years. As you can probably gather from the other reviews on here, the last few years were tumultuous. I am fortunate enough to be in a division where the intense toxicity was not rampant; but I will be honest there were serious issues. That said, once everything blew up during a very public organizational crisis, while it took awhile, in the end, the board and senior leadership made some very important decisions that have truly changed the direction of SVCF. I'm seasoned enough to know it is still a long road and that not all senior management may like the new direction, but I think we have the staff and leadership from our CEO and other key leaders to get us through.

Silicon Valley Community Foundation2019-02-21

"Harrasment, Drinking & Smoking (on the job) and Inappropriate Employee Relationships"

Current Employee - Associate in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Silicon Valley Community Foundation part-time for more than a year

Pros

Work is easy, work load is light.

Cons

1. Employees who have been with the company for a number of year can pretty much get away with murder. Including, drinking and getting high while in the office. 2. I can’t count how many times I’ve heard grossly inappropriate (both sexual and racial in nature) comments being thrown back and forth between all levels of employees. 3. I have witnessed conversations of individuals being sexually active with other employees. Not a big deal, until you’re told it happens at the office, in conference rooms, bathrooms and utility closests. And both during working hours and outside of working hours. Have even heard people brag to others about cheating on their significant others with a fellow coworker. The sad part, this isn’t new and it won’t be going away anytime soon. You have employees who have been with SVCF for years and others who have only been with the company a short time, but ALL engaging in this behavior. 4. This place operates like an exclusive private highschool. Millions of dollars to play with, but drama, bullying and harassment plague any good coming from this corrupt non-profit. 5. The harassment is disgusting. Employees bully not only other employees but even their family members. Phone calls, text messages at all hours of the night. Also, Emmet Carson is no longer the CEO. This mess has been happening for years. I have only been with the company about a year and I honestly couldn’t believe that a non profit of this caliber operates this way.

Silicon Valley Community Foundation2019-02-03

"Sure you've taken care of leadership, but you chose to overlook management?"

I worked at Silicon Valley Community Foundation full-time for more than a year

Pros

The people who work in lower positions create a family-like support system because of all the terrible things that take place in leadership.

Cons

First off, the top high rated comment on the reviews was sponsored by HR. It was at the top while leaders were being let go. Second, it is absurd to me that they have fired those in upper management, but chose to be blind to the terrible culture the Directors and VPs continue to inflict on a daily basis. The Director I reported to acted like a high school mean girl and would choose only a couple of people she treated well. Unfortunately, none of those people reported to her. I would constantly witness her lie to our clients, she would blame those under her for her mistakes, and she would only choose to manage when she felt like it. After I confronted her on her negative qualities when she asked for feedback, she got extremely defensive. I have even shared personal information with her, given that it impacted the time I could be at work, and others asked me about my situation. She gossiped about my personal information behind my back! I have written to HR about her when they were going through their restructuring. Nothing was done about the situation and they chose not to look at Directors or VPs who continue this horrible culture. I have yet to come across a manager that embodies every bad managerial trait. I feel bad for those currently being managed by her since it is challenging to get other jobs of the same field in Silicon Valley. I hope HR recognizes that the issues will continue if these terrible managers remain a part of SVCF.

Silicon Valley Community Foundation2019-02-05

"Managment"

Current Employee - Management in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Silicon Valley Community Foundation full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

There are none here look elsewhere.

Cons

Management here is questionable at best

Silicon Valley Community Foundation2019-01-15

"Great foundation working on difficult local issues"

2.0

I worked at Silicon Valley Community Foundation full-time

Pros

Departments and Divisions work together to accomplish the set goals of the Foundation, good inter-team dynamics, fast paced

Cons

Past missteps in oversight of the Foundation's C-level by the Board of Directors have cast a shadow on what was a great Foundation to work for

Silicon Valley Community Foundation2018-08-21

"Weak Organization"

Current Employee - Director

I have been working at Silicon Valley Community Foundation full-time

Pros

The employees are the benefit of this org. They are passionate, smart and committed to community. At least most of them are. There are weak seeds but that’s unavoidable.

Cons

The senior management both past and present. This is an org that rewards loyalty over skill or those good at taking credit for other people’s hard work. No transparency on how promotions are awarded in some departments. No training on how to manage leading to terrible leadership. Bad hires due to constant turnover. Mediocre work and staff are celebrated and rewarded. It’s disturbing. Disproportionate work loads and low morale. The list goes on. Would never advise someone to work here. Not someone that is mission driven and desiring of an inclusive work culture. No. The Board got off from the investigation that led to the permanent removal of their terrible CEO and CDO. But the fact remains all of the above was allowed for too long because they don’t care. If you’re interested in doing good work and working alongside strong professionals - look elsewhere.

Silicon Valley Community Foundation2018-08-30