SilkRoad Technology Reviews in Jacksonville, FL | Glassdoor

3.5
SilkRoad Technology President & CEO John Shackleton
John Shackleton

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • You get to work from home occasionally, and there is no limit on PTO time (in 33 reviews)

• flexibility with hours and around projects is the best I have seen and is what keeps me here for the work-life balance (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • profit share or 401k matching would have been nice (in 16 reviews)

• For the past few years there have been no raises, no bonuses, no 401k matching (in 15 reviews)

1. "Great job!"

I have been working at SilkRoad Technology full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

flexible time off
    great benefits
    awesome work environment
    super helpful co-workers
    very laid back
    quick promotability
    tons of opportunity
    great office location

Cons

Jacksonville traffic is always a bummer

"Terrible place for all"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at SilkRoad Technology full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The flexible time off is an amazing asset if properly managed.
    It's a good foot in the door into better opportunities in the industry.
    Workers are nice.

Cons

Training is improperly managed. Management is very reactive to both department and client needs instead of attempting to be proactive and catch easily preventable and foreseeable problems. Many attempts to change things for the better are brick walled at the management level.

Advice to Management

Stop reacting. Start planning. If you're understaffed and under trained in a product or role, invest into that before it becomes a problem. You've ran into enough problems to learn from them.

3. "Amazing Company for Millennials"

I have been working at SilkRoad Technology full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I don't understand the bad reviews...This company is amazing if you like a challenge and enjoy problem solving with a team. The management here truly cares about their team and treats us well. I would not recommend this company for someone who is more traditional. This company is as close as you're going to get in Jacksonville to the Google, Blizzard, Microsoft, and Apple style companies. If you are a millennial who wants the ability to be creative and problem solve then this is the company for you. Also, there is a lot of opportunities to advance within the company. The pay is nice, and they also have an ESOP plan so if you want to own a piece of the company before it becomes an IPO this is an excellent opportunity. You get to work from home occasionally, and there is no limit on PTO time....You can take PTO whenever it's available as long as there is proper staffing and you get your job done. Weekends Off, 8-5 Mon-Fri. Another thing.....The culture here is amazing, I felt like I was at home my very first week....everyone is super friendly.

P.S. You cannot slack off when it's GO time....Some days are slow, but some days are busy...and you have to grind.

Cons

No 401k matching (But the pay makes up for it) and no healthy rewards. I don't know what else can be listed as a con....Traffic sucks?

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. The job can be stressful at times, but you guys make it easier with outstanding leadership skills. Management has been so good here that most of my stress comes from the thought of disappointment, not the amount of work.

"There is a reason for the low ratings of this company"

Current Employee - Technical Support Representative in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at SilkRoad Technology full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Unfortunately, There are no pros that come with working here in my experience. Honestly. It is a paycheck, albeit a very low one for this industry and position.

Cons

Low pay for industry, no real career path, only promote yes men and friends, if you question anything you are looked at poorly. They do not like free thinkers who question poor decisions. Director and Management is extremely unexperienced and do not know how to manage people.

The products are very outdated. Having purchased most of their software from other companies, none of the products work well together. They keep trying to bring in new partners when they should be focused on building and developing a suite of products that actually works together. They are way behind the competition.

Advice to Management

Learn to manage people, you are horrendous when it comes to listening to your employees. They are the people on the frontline and can offer a lot of insight into the current tone and frustration of clients.

Stop trying to bring in new partners and concentrate on making your software work, together.

I am sure this will fall on deaf ears, but if you put down your ego for a second and listen to all this advice on the countless negative reviews here, you may be able to turn it around. I have no faith that will happen, but you should really think hard about it.

"Culture is changing"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at SilkRoad Technology full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible PTO + work-from-home options. Small teams so you get to know everyone.

Cons

Management & seniors are catty and gossipy. Plenty of drama in the office. Training is a joke. Systems are poorly updated and non-compatible for the most part. Employees who perform well are taken advantage of. More responsibility with no monetary compensation.

6. "No plans on leaving"

Current Employee - Technical Support Representative in Jacksonville, FL

Pros

Great work environment. Everyday I look forward to coming to work. If there is a problem the management team all the way to the top has an open door policy that I have used many times. The work life balance is great with the ability to take time off or work from home and it not be held against you.

Cons

Training needs some work as it is all over the place and not very well laid out. However, there are a ton of people to ask for help if needed.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

"Service rep"

Former Employee - FLORIDA in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - FLORIDA in Jacksonville, FL

Pros

Flexiable Schedule. Nice people and friendly environment, unlimited vacation time off.

Cons

Turnover rate is awful.No room for growth. No training

Advice to Management

Train your people better and stop hiring and firing so much

"Looks very appealing from the outside"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at SilkRoad Technology full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great smart people to work with. Work/life balance, flexible schedule, Remote work opportunity, No medical insurance premium increases in about 6 years. Stock options.

Cons

No career development or innovation. No 401k matching. Lack of resources. Silos.

The purpose of being a software company especially in a SaaS industry is to innovate with all products and deliver on the "suite" that is being marketed. Some teams are allowed to innovate while others get left behind. Meanwhile, some teams are supported by other departments in the company and others are left to fend for themselves which leaves them little time to be innovative.

Also, very headstrong and toxic personalities are allowed to remain in key positions that keeps morale low and turnover high.

There have been some very questionable decisions by management in the past and they have yet to fully recover from those experiments that have failed. Hopefully, things will turn for the better since for many their retirement is tied to stock options that may one day be worth something.

Advice to Management

Deal with technical debt but don't forget about innovation. The competition is eating your lunch right now.

"Great environment and people"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at SilkRoad Technology full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Best co-workers ever, highly respectable company culture, great work/life balance

Cons

messy training and management styles

"With Great Power comes great responsability, awesome place to work if you willing."

Current Employee - Director Product in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Director Product in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at SilkRoad Technology full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I am based in the SilkRoad Jacksonville office and my experience has been amazing!! In addition to all of the amazing products I get to work on and the fact that I can do that in flip flops, I always feel like my input is valued and in many cases implemented. I feel like our Sr leadership has a clear innovative vision for the future of our products and where the organization is moving. In the past 5 years I have been able move and grow internally while maintaining a competitive salary. I’m excited about what the next 5 years bring

Cons

With great power comes great responsibility so be ready for it, SilkRoad is a relatively small organization in employee size with around 400 - 450 depending on who you ask and when you counted, with that said as a manager and employees you will get to work in a variety of areas and do many different things, we are fast movers and heavy lifters getting stuff done.

Advice to Management

My advice would be to continue what is already being done by bringing in in more talent to scale with our rapid customer acquisition and sales / lead demand.